Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 16, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #16,321 of 16,931
Hello everyone:) !

I don't know if this is the best place, but I need some advice.

My IM50 are starting to fail in one side (the problem is in the connection of the earphone and the cable, new cable won't resolve) and I would like to buy something better (and more reliable, they started failing within 9 months).

My history with IEM has been with CX 300 (dead), the IM50 and the Pistons 2 (as backup).

The only thing I ask, is to be available in Europe on a reliable seller (that gives the EU 2 year warranty).

Are the CKX9 comparable, what about Sennheiser CX 5 ?

Thank you !

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #16,322 of 16,931

I have one but I don't know if I want to review it - it's in that awkward category of high-end basshead IEMs and just doesn't sound that good for how expensive it is. Not sure when I would recommend someone spend $700 on it.

How would you compare it to JH13FP?  I have a friend, he has Z5 and seems to praise it alot, consider it better than alot of iem and hp. We never had a chance to try or compare ours. Thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #16,323 of 16,931
  Hello everyone:) !

I don't know if this is the best place, but I need some advice.

My IM50 are starting to fail in one side (the problem is in the connection of the earphone and the cable, new cable won't resolve) and I would like to buy something better (and more reliable, they started failing within 9 months).

My history with IEM has been with CX 300 (dead), the IM50 and the Pistons 2 (as backup).

The only thing I ask, is to be available in Europe on a reliable seller (that gives the EU 2 year warranty).

Are the CKX9 comparable, what about Sennheiser CX 5 ?

Thank you !

I enjoyed the IM50 very briefly and thought it had a nicely balanced, smooth sound. I don't have a CKX9 but I have a CKX5, which is more in-line with the tuning of a Piston 2 than an IM50. The higher-end CKX models are meant to be even more bass-heavy than my CKX5. If you're looking to stay with a more IM50-like sound then you're probably looking for something more balanced, like a Philips Fidelio S2 (hopefully available in the EU, Philips being a European company). There's also RHA, with a 3-year warranty, but their more balanced T20 model is rather pricey. The ~$120 MA750i is quite a good all-rounder, though, if a bit bass-heavy a-la Piston 2.

How would you compare it to JH13FP?  I have a friend, he has Z5 and seems to praise it alot, consider it better than alot of iem and hp. We never had a chance to try or compare ours. Thanks in advance.

They're not really comparable - the JH13FP is a relatively balanced earphone, some coloration but not much more than something like a GR07 or Sony EX1000. The Z5 is warm and very bassy. The only custom I have that's reminiscent of that type of sound signature is the enhanced-bass quad from Gorilla Ears (the GX-4b: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/gorilla-ears-gx-4b/), and even then the Z5 is bassier, warmer, darker, and not as clear. Compared to the JH13 there's a night and day difference in balance and overall clarity, but again they're really not competitors. If someone were looking for a high-end custom that sounds more like the Z5, the Westone ES5 or Heir 8.A would be better options signature-wise. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #16,324 of 16,931

They're not really comparable - the JH13FP is a relatively balanced earphone, some coloration but not much more than something like a GR07 or Sony EX1000. The Z5 is warm and very bassy. The only custom I have that's reminiscent of that type of sound signature is the enhanced-bass quad from Gorilla Ears (the GX-4b: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/gorilla-ears-gx-4b/), and even then the Z5 is bassier, warmer, darker, and not as clear. Compared to the JH13 there's a night and day difference in balance and overall clarity, but again they're really not competitors. If someone were looking for a high-end custom that sounds more like the Z5, the Westone ES5 or Heir 8.A would be better options signature-wise. 

Thanks for reply. If I get it right, JH13FP has better detail and texture?
Do you use aftermarket cable? would you recommend an upgrade cable for JH13? I currently have Ted Litz silver cable, i dont know if there is anything else better for it

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #16,325 of 16,931
  Thanks for reply. If I get it right, JH13FP has better detail and texture?
Do you use aftermarket cable? would you recommend an upgrade cable for JH13? I currently have Ted Litz silver cable, i dont know if there is anything else better for it

Yes, by a good margin. Heavy bass is just not that conducive to overall detailing.

Sorry, aftermarket cables aren't really my thing. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #16,326 of 16,931
Added a review of the HiFiMan RE300h below. 

The most up-to-date IEM ranking can be found here.

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(3A95) HiFiMan RE300h

Reviewed August 2015

Brief: HiFiMan’s first sub-$50 IEM in several years

MSRP: $49 
Current Price: $49 from amazon.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 108 dB | Freq: 15-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9′ L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock double flanges; generic double-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (2/5) – Long single-flange and short bi-flange silicone tips; replacement nozzle filters (5 pairs)
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The tiny housings of the RE300h are plastic and feature replaceable nozzle filters and decent strain relief. The cables are plastic and not nylon-sheathed below the y-split like the higher-end HiFiMan models. A nice L-plug terminates the cable
Isolation (3/5) – The RE300h is a shallow-fit earphone but the included tips isolate surprisingly well and aftermarket tips can increase isolation a bit further
Microphonics (4/5) – Decent even when worn cable-down thanks to the soft cable
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings of the RE300h are designed for cable-down wear and unusually-shaped, but very small and lightweight. The small footprint in the ear and shallow fit makes them extremely comfortable, though I can see some users – especially those with larger ears – having to find alternatives to the two included eartips to get a proper seal

Sound (7.9/10) – The RE300h takes the HiFiMan house sound and makes it more consumer-friendly by skewing the usual near-neutral balance in a warmer, bassier direction. In 2009 – three generations back in HiFiMan terms – the RE1 model attempted something similar but it was pricier and suffered from relatively low efficiency, which made it less well-suited for the mainstream consumer. The RE300h has no such problems – it’s easy to drive and the bassy and forgiving sound signature feels right at home at $50.

The RE300h places more emphasis on bass compared not only to any other HiFiMan product I’ve heard in years, but also other high-performing ~$50 sets such as the SteelSeries Flux and Fidue A63, stopping just short of the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear. It is not intended to please bassheads, but rather to deliver enough punch and body to avoid any accusations of sounding flat or lean, as often happens with higher-end HiFiMan models. Unfortunately bass control typically decreases as bass quantity goes up, and the bass of the RE300h is not as tight as that of higher-end HiFiMan IEMs and the aforementioned Fidue, SteelSeries, and Sennheiser sets.

The lower midrange of the RE300h is just as prominent as the bass. Indeed, the lack of midrange recession is what keeps the earphone grounded in the HiFiMan house sound. The RE300h ends up sounding warmer and not at all v-shaped compared to sets like the SteelSeries Flux, Xiaomi Piston 2, and Sennheiser Momentum.

However, together with the prominent bass, the warm and somewhat thick mids limit clarity. Other earphones mitigate this by providing bright, emphasized treble but the smooth and relaxed highs of the RE300h are no help here.  As a result, clarity lags slightly behind the abovementioned earphones. Treble smoothness, on the other hand, is superb. The RE300h is less bright/energetic and more forgiving than the Flux, Piston 2, and especially the Momentum In-Ear. It kills harshness and sibilance on tracks like very few IEMs can, especially at lower listening volumes.

Like the higher-end RE-400, the presentation of the RE300h is not at all laid-back, in part due to the forward midrange. However, the soundstage still has pretty good width and ends up surprisingly well-rounded – certainly an enjoyable presentation well ahead of most others in this price range. It’s also worth noting the high sensitivity of the RE300h – the earphone is well above average in that regard, too.

Select Comparisons

HiFiMan RE-400 ($79)

The RE300h’s older sibling is well known for its balanced and accurate sound. Compared to the pricier RE-400, the lower-end model sounds warmer and more bass-heavy. It is also more sensitive. The changes towards “louder” and “bassier” make sense when moving downmarket and targeting consumers rather than audiophiles. Unfortunately, with the tuning change the RE300h also loses some of what has made the RE-400 one of the best audiophile earphones on the market for the past 2½ years.

The extra bass of the RE300h is intrusive compared to the RE-400’s tighter, more well-measured low end. It is boomy and makes the earphones sound muddier. The RE-400 has more of a midrange focus but still sounds more tonally correct and natural, especially with vocals. It is clearer, more accurate, and more refined. The highs are brighter and crisper. Detail comes through better as well.

The one thing the RE300h does have going for it besides greater bass impact and better sensitivity is a more dynamic presentation, which makes its soundstage appear a little less flat and intimate than that of the RE-400. Soundstaging has never been one of the RE-400’s strengths, and it really shows here.

VSonic VSD3S ($45 – $60)

The RE300h is reminiscent of other HiFiMan in-ears with its lack of midrange recession and forgiving treble. The VSD3S, likewise, follows the VSonic house sound through and through, and is tuned very differently from the RE300h. Its sound is slightly v-shaped, with more bass punch and brighter treble compared to the HiFiMan set. The VSD3S is clearer and slightly more resolving, but suffers from sharper, more sibilance-prone highs and mild midrange recession. Despite its lower bass quantity, the RE300h has more bass bloat. It is also warmer, smoother, and more full-bodied than the VSD3S, and has a slightly more well-rounded soundstage.

Sony MH1C ($25 -$80)

Sony’s warm and smooth-sounding MH1C follows a less balanced sound tuning than the RE300h, placing more emphasis on bass (especially deep bass) and less on the midrange. However, the less forward mids of the Sony unit are also a bit thinner, which helps the MH1C achieve better clarity compared to the RE300h despite its more powerful bass. The presentation of the MH1C is more laid-back and spacious, too, while the RE300h is more forward and intimate. Lastly, the HiFiMan unit is significantly more sensitive.

Value (8.5/10) – The HiFiMan RE300h is an earphone for those who above all else favor a warm and forgiving sound. It maintains forward mids and smooth treble for that quintessential HiFiMan flavor, but provides more bass than the higher-end models. The result is a sound profile dominated by the bass and lower midrange, and somewhat limited in clarity and bass control. These are not positive traits for critical listening, but there’s plenty to like here as well – the lack of midrange recession despite strong bass, the soundstage, and the smoothness, which kills off harshness and sibilance better than the vast majority of competing earphones. I also like the tiny low profile housings – HiFiMan’s been pretty good at giving us IEMs that fit well in smaller ears lately. All in all, while it is not going to dethrone HiFiMan’s higher-end RE-400 model in bang for your buck, the RE300h offers a unique sound tuning in a unique form factor, both of which make it a compelling offering.

Pros: Compact & comfortable housings; plentiful bass with prominent mids and very smooth treble
Cons: Clarity and bass control could be better

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #16,327 of 16,931
I'm currently looking for a replacement for my RE-400, which unfortunately has given up on me. As I always wear them over-the-ear, the wire near the strain relief broke off. Of course it had to be because of that poorly designed stain relief.

From your list, it seems that the Brainwavz B2 and Rockit R-50 are some of the IEMs which offer the most bang-for-buck in terms of sound. However, the build quality on these two seems questionable. Any chance that there is a universal IEM with a similar sound but better build quality and removable cables, without doubling the price? 

I'm also eyeing the Aurisonics Rocket with its tank-like build (though no removable cables). My concern though is Aurisonic's sound sig, which from what I've read is really "dark". Would you put it along the likes of the HD650 (which I really liked)? Or something even darker?

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #16,329 of 16,931
  I'm currently looking for a replacement for my RE-400, which unfortunately has given up on me. As I always wear them over-the-ear, the wire near the strain relief broke off. Of course it had to be because of that poorly designed stain relief.

From your list, it seems that the Brainwavz B2 and Rockit R-50 are some of the IEMs which offer the most bang-for-buck in terms of sound. However, the build quality on these two seems questionable. Any chance that there is a universal IEM with a similar sound but better build quality and removable cables, without doubling the price? 

I'm also eyeing the Aurisonics Rocket with its tank-like build (though no removable cables). My concern though is Aurisonic's sound sig, which from what I've read is really "dark". Would you put it along the likes of the HD650 (which I really liked)? Or something even darker?

I cannot recommend the Trinity Deltas enough.

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #16,330 of 16,931

I cannot recommend the Trinity Deltas enough.

The Delta's soundsignature is not exactly in line whith the ones he's looking at.

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #16,332 of 16,931
  Ah, true. Also, they are not really an over-the-ear design. 

They can be, I use mine over the ears 
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #16,333 of 16,931
hi, joker. i am looking for an upgrade in ciem. i have experienced the custom advantage through a reshell and want to try a product designed to be custom. from the your reviews the 1964 v6 stage and the miracle should be quite similar in sound signature, yet having a 350 difference in price. i might as well spend that 300 on a better player(i am buying a new one anyway). with the um site down for such a long time and the increase in price to 1049, would it be better to consider the jh13 instead? or just be happy with v6s? thanks

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #16,334 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

Thnx for all the work. I want to buy a new iem which is an upgrade to my Fischer Audio Consonance. I have some very nice iems which are reviewd good here, but i really like the thick and full sound of the consonance with my edm music.
I already have the following iems:

Pistons  2 and 3
Yamaha EPH 100
Sony mhc1
JVC HA fx 101
FA Consonance

I thought the eph100 would be a nice upgrade, but i have fitting problems with those. I cant get a good seal and i have tried lots of tips. I have smaller ear canals and iems with a big nozzle are a no go sadly enough. even if they fit, i dun like them because they are not comfortable.

Can you suggest an upgrade to the FA consonance. specially a full and thick sound with good bass and smaller nozzzles please?

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #16,335 of 16,931
I'm sending back my RHA MA750i for repair, but thinking of selling the replacement once it arrives, and picking up something with a different sound signature.

I feel like the 750 is pretty warm and quite V-shaped, and I'd be willing to give up the relaxed sound and the bass in favour of something more neutral. My desktop headphones are the Sennheiser HD 600, and that's currently my favourite sound. So what's the IEM equivelant?

The Etymotic HF5 seems quite appealing - seems like the sound I'm looking for, apparently has legendary isolation (a big plus for me), can have custom eartips made for it, and is fairly comparable in price to the 750i. I do enjoy the build quality, warranty, and customer service of RHA, so another pair feels like a nice option, but I've heard varying reports about the T20 (and the T10 doesn't sound like my cup of tea). Some say that it's very neutral, others say that it's a natural upgrade from the 750, which I would not consider to be very neutral.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on the above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back