Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 10, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #16,306 of 16,931
They are only $250 on Amazon I believe. And reviews for the X7i don't look so hot.

My experience with Klipsch IEMs has been enjoyable sound but unreliable and poor build quality. Even if you get it discounted at $250, that might not even be worth it if they only last a month.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #16,307 of 16,931
I believe I can help you out. I started my journey with with the S4s a few years ago (and I thought $75 was expensive...HA! Head Fi proved me wrong). I'll try to help you out based off of my experiences. My trip by the way was Klipsch S4 -> Shure se215 -> Westone 3 -> MEElectronics M6 Pro -> RHA T10 -> Noble 3U so far.

I would recommend that you don't get the se215s or the W3s if you enjoy classical and electronic. se215s have some of the worst sub bass extension, bad clarity, and poorly extended highs with no sparkle. Mids are decent at best. Westone 3s are excellent detailed IEMs, but they somehow managed to clearly deliver the music with no sense of enjoyment whatsoever. It is more of a "that was a really clean listen" than "that song was SICK" if that makes sense.

For under $250, I would suggest checking out RHA T10s (as you already have), Vsonic gr07, sennheiser ie80, DJE 1500s, and ATH CKR9. Other people will be able to give you more recommendations.

Honestly though, I highly doubt anyone has found an IEM under $200 that they are satisfied with (and I mean legitimately satisfied with).  You'd have to hit at least $400 I think in order to find an IEM that has no caveats at all.

Oh yeah, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet :)

Thanks for the reply, you've given me lots to think about, can you comment on the Shure 425 and RHA T20, they are just about within budget.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #16,308 of 16,931
Thank you, well, what would be a good iem? I've been looking at westone or Shure butnim not sure.
They are only $250 on Amazon I believe. And reviews for the X7i don't look so hot.

My experience with Klipsch IEMs has been enjoyable sound but unreliable and poor build quality. Even if you get it discounted at $250, that might not even be worth it if they only last a month.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #16,309 of 16,931
Ok,
I mainly listen to indie and Classic rock, I do like some bass tho, so would the x11i be better? Comfort always comes up with Shure zany it didn't seem good.

Can't beat the Klipsch for comfort but there's quite a few IEMs that fit your requirements for sound, since they're pretty loose, including. The X11 should be okay - it's not technically perfect but a good easy-listening IEM with very smooth sound, and of course is very comfortable. 

I'd love some advice on a suitable upgrade to my old Klipsch S4i's, I've had them a few years and have been mostly happy with them, i find them fine with easy listening classical and electronic music, but they seem to lose it playing rock, and they can be quite unpleasant.

I'm looking for something that is not too bass heavy and not too warm, I think I'm looking for something quite neutral and open (I don't know the proper technical terms)

I don't mind if they are just in ears or if they have to go over and around the ear, having an inline remote for the iPhone would be great, but not essential ( they will be used solely with the iPhone)

I have listened to a couple, the B&O H3, which I thought were a little bit warm, but quite easy to listen to, the build quality for the price seemed a bit poor though, and the RHA 10i, initially I thought there were not so nice, they seemed very bright, but after listening to them again a few times I found them not so bad.

I'm limited on brands as I'm on holiday and want to spend my remaining holiday money, options seem to be RHA, Shure, sennheiser, Philips, Sony, Westone, but I might be able to track down some other mainstream brands.

Budget will be up to $250 (USD), but I'd be happy to spend less if I could get a significant sound upgrade for less.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions appreciated

Julie

I'm not a fan of the RHA T10 but the newer T20 is quite good for a more neutral sound. Build quality is very good as with all RHA gear and the sound can be adjusted (very slightly) using their interchangeable filters. It's a good buy if build quality is a strong factor in your decision. 

From the other brands you listed, Philips has the Fidelio S2 that's a very good neutral earphone and much less expensive. It's brighter than the sets you're used to but if the harsh treble of the S4 wasn't totally offensive, then the S2 will be fine. 

Sony has the MDR-7550 (aka EX800ST), a very smooth, easy-listening earphone with a slightly warm sound (a-la Shure SE535, which you won't find in that price range). It's from Sony's professional product line though so it might be harder to find than their consumer-grade earphones.  

The closest from Westone will be the W20 and that's more than $250.  

Other sets I'd check on - the Aurisonics Rockets, which are right at $250 here in the US and have a very clear and easy-going sound, and maybe the VSonic GR07 Classic or GR07 Bass Edition if you have the ability to import earphones from Asia. They will be much less expensive and very capable in their own right. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #16,310 of 16,931
Hello everyone :)
I want to buy some new in-ear earphones, and am looking for decent bass and sound quality. There's no reason to tell you my price range because just a few earphones are available here, and the prices are a lot higher than in the US.

I think I'm gonna choose between these three:

1. JVC HA FX1X
  2. Sennheiser cx300 II
  3. Sony MDR EX450

I'm a little confused regarding the JVC's, because of the newer FX101 model, which is also available here. Some reports, like this one state the 101's are a lot better, and some, such as this or this(scroll down) say the older are the better.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #16,311 of 16,931

Was waiting for their new flagship IEM but not sure when those are coming out. If never materialize I'll check out the M6 PRO.

Darn, what about the DBA-02 mkIII? Their dynamics are nice but their old BA sets were killer. 

Pretty sure the X11 only has one driver per side (2 total... but that's not the way they're normally counted). SE425s are dual-drivers. For Shure it's the 2nd digit of the model number that signifies the number of drivers. 

Generally speaking there's no guarantee that more drivers equals better sound. It all comes down to acoustic design and implementation. In this case there's a significant tuning difference as well - the X11 is warm earphone with enhanced bass. The SE425, if I remember correctly, is relatively neutral/balanced. It's been a while since I've heard one of those. 

agreed, 

i was quite hoping to hear some news on the dba 02 mkIII. its on the website, but no word anywhere... =( only pictures and specs to tease us........ 
Quote:

Can't beat the Klipsch for comfort but there's quite a few IEMs that fit your requirements for sound, since they're pretty loose, including. The X11 should be okay - it's not technically perfect but a good easy-listening IEM with very smooth sound, and of course is very comfortable. 

I'm not a fan of the RHA T10 but the newer T20 is quite good for a more neutral sound. Build quality is very good as with all RHA gear and the sound can be adjusted (very slightly) using their interchangeable filters. It's a good buy if build quality is a strong factor in your decision. 

From the other brands you listed, Philips has the Fidelio S2 that's a very good neutral earphone and much less expensive. It's brighter than the sets you're used to but if the harsh treble of the S4 wasn't totally offensive, then the S2 will be fine. 

Sony has the MDR-7550 (aka EX800ST), a very smooth, easy-listening earphone with a slightly warm sound (a-la Shure SE535, which you won't find in that price range). It's from Sony's professional product line though so it might be harder to find than their consumer-grade earphones.  

The closest from Westone will be the W20 and that's more than $250.  

Other sets I'd check on - the Aurisonics Rockets, which are right at $250 here in the US and have a very clear and easy-going sound, and maybe the VSonic GR07 Classic or GR07 Bass Edition if you have the ability to import earphones from Asia. They will be much less expensive and very capable in their own right. 

Thanks for the reply, you've given me lots to think about, can you comment on the Shure 425 and RHA T20, they are just about within budget.

i agree with @ljokerl the t20s are a great option if you need something nearly bullet proof as far as earphones go. lots of goodies and accessories and the interchangeable filter isn't a gimmick, i found it quite fun to play around with the slightly different tuning with the various filters...

and they sound much much better then the t10s imo, i reviewed those two recently on my profile (maybe it can be of some help to you) i also compared them head to head if you need a sort of frame of reference.

but then again... i'm geeky like that... soooo

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #16,312 of 16,931
Thank you,
Actually I think I might go with the Torque t096z, they have a 150ohms and 80 or 90 sensitivity, and cost less then the klipsch x11i
I want to buy some new in-ear earphones, and am looking for decent bass and sound quality. There's no reason to tell you my price range because just a few earphones are available here, and the prices are a lot higher than in the US.

• JVC HA FX1X
  • Sennheiser cx300 II
  • Sony MDR EX450

I'm a little confused regarding the JVC's, because of the newer FX101 model, which is also available here. Some reports, like this one state the 101's are a lot better, and some, such as this or this(scroll down) say the older are the better.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #16,313 of 16,931
I quoted someone els insted of you haha
i agree with @ljokerl
 the t20s are a great option if you need something nearly bullet proof as far as earphones go. lots of goodies and accessories and the interchangeable filter isn't a gimmick, i found it quite fun to play around with the slightly different tuning with the various filters...

and they sound much much better then the t10s imo, i reviewed those two recently on my profile (maybe it can be of some help to you) i also compared them head to head if you need a sort of frame of reference.

but then again... i'm geeky like that... soooo

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #16,314 of 16,931

1. JVC HA FX1X
  2. Sennheiser cx300 II
  3. Sony MDR EX450

if your interested in the cx 300 II your better off going for their latest update in the cx 3.00

its super comfy with the angled nozzle and soft silicone eartips (plus it has a tiny footprint)

also the cable is better made and not thin and "thready"

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #16,315 of 16,931
Do they sound better than cx300II? I am not satisfied with mine and would like to upgrade during the business trip I have this week. These are my options and prices in :
- Fidelio S2 (100)
- Fiio EX1 (100)
- HifiMan400 (100)
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV (170)
GRADO GR8 (200)
- Shure SE535 (400)

I will be using them while working, so I guess that the S2 and EX1 are off the table.
Is it worth buying Shure SE535, or should I wait for new Dunu models?

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #16,316 of 16,931
  Do they sound better than cx300II? I am not satisfied with mine and would like to upgrade during the business trip I have this week. These are my options and prices in :
- Fidelio S2 (100)
- Fiio EX1 (100)
- HifiMan400 (100)
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV (170)
GRADO GR8 (200)
- Shure SE535 (400)

I will be using them while working, so I guess that the S2 and EX1 are off the table.
Is it worth buying Shure SE535, or should I wait for new Dunu models?

Those prices aren't exactly great. The se535 is definitely no worth it a 400 euro. It used to e just overpriced but nowadays this price even in usd is ridiculous given the competition. Btw, if paeople are set on not buying outside of EU, they can still order from http://headphoniaks.com/gb/ , which are Spain based. Prices are the usueal EU deal - usd numbers turned straigh into euro but at least there is a bit better choice.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #16,317 of 16,931
Hello to everyone, I wanted to know, in terms of isolation and sound quality (mind you I have the Sennheiser HD598), which would you recommend between:
- MEElectronics M6 Pro
- Shure SE215
- Westone UM PRO10
- Westone W 10.
And if you can explain to me the difference between the two Westone!

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #16,318 of 16,931
Will there be any chances for XBA-Z5 review? thanks

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #16,319 of 16,931

1. JVC HA FX1X
  2. Sennheiser cx300 II
  3. Sony MDR EX450

I'm one of those who prefers the FX101 to the FX1X. If you like heavy bass these are way better than the CX300-II, which are warm but not that bassy. Not sure about the EX450.

Will there be any chances for XBA-Z5 review? thanks

I have one but I don't know if I want to review it - it's in that awkward category of high-end basshead IEMs and just doesn't sound that good for how expensive it is. Not sure when I would recommend someone spend $700 on it.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #16,320 of 16,931
  Hello to everyone, I wanted to know, in terms of isolation and sound quality (mind you I have the Sennheiser HD598), which would you recommend between:
- MEElectronics M6 Pro
- Shure SE215
- Westone UM PRO10
- Westone W 10.
And if you can explain to me the difference between the two Westone!

Isolation:
Shure se215 >= Westone W10/UM10 (only if the westone's are equipped with their foam tips) > M6 Pro

Sound quality: I can't comment on the Westone W10s/UM10s, but I can say that the se215s have the worst SQ of the bunch. No sub bass, and poor highs. Mids are decent at best.

M6 Pro > se215 (I would say the M6 pro has a thinner, airier sound, with larger soundstage and better separation, but somewhat bass-light. Shure is ALL midbass and mids, everything else is quite poor and muddy.)

Again, no clue about the W10s, but I think some reviews explain them quite well. I can tell you that single balanced armature IEMs do suffer from distortion quite easily, especially at this price.

Build quality from all of these is excellent, with the shures on top (heavy cable though), followed by westone, then M6 Pro (Westone cable is slightly better than M6 Pro). Hope this helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back