Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #16,276 of 16,931
  then a dynamic like ckr9 would not be a miss imo or maybe you should try them out once you narrow it down to only two or three.

I was quite excited about the CKR9/CKR9 LTD, but now I'm feeling unsure about the fit and isolation. Several people around the forum have remarked that it's hit or miss, and I'm not in a position or location where returns would be easy.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #16,277 of 16,931

I was quite excited about the CKR9/CKR9 LTD, but now I'm feeling unsure about the fit and isolation. Several people around the forum have remarked that it's hit or miss, and I'm not in a position or location where returns would be easy.

How much isolation are we talking about? If you need it to block out crowd noise and walking around, it's great. If you're working in a loud factory or something like that, maybe not.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #16,278 of 16,931

How much isolation are we talking about? If you need it to block out crowd noise and walking around, it's great. If you're working in a loud factory or something like that, maybe not.

I can only think in terms of my experience with previous IEMs I've owned, so I'd say about the level of a VSonic VSD3S or GR07 would be good enough. I use IEMs mostly while travelling, so that's transport like trains, buses and cars in city traffic, and with sufficiently loud music, airplanes.

Also, how reliable is the fit? I'm very worried about buying these and then finding that they don't fit me securely or deeply enough.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #16,279 of 16,931

I can only think in terms of my experience with previous IEMs I've owned, so I'd say about the level of a VSonic VSD3S or GR07 would be good enough. I use IEMs mostly while travelling, so that's transport like trains, buses and cars in city traffic, and with sufficiently loud music, airplanes.

Also, how reliable is the fit? I'm very worried about buying these and then finding that they don't fit me securely or deeply enough.

They're no worse than the GR07 or VSD3S in my usage. As far as fit goes, I've never had any problems with them and wear them for hours at a time. They're a little big, but if you can wear the VSD3S comfortably I don't see them being any issue at all.

As far as CKR9 vs IM02 in my experience with each, the CKR9 wins in terms of bass detail and fullness, subbass depth, 3D soundstage, realism, depth, separation and layering. The IM02 gets the nod in air and details, but the difference detail between the two is minimal. Also gets a plus for detachable cables, but lacks a 3D stage, ie. it's very wide, but without the depth and height of the CKR9. The CKR9 is a more realistic sound, where the IM02 is more similar to the GR07 type of sound. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #16,280 of 16,931
They're no worse than the GR07 or VSD3S in my usage. As far as fit goes, I've never had any problems with them and wear them for hours at a time. They're a little big, but if you can wear the VSD3S comfortably I don't see them being any issue at all.

As far as CKR9 vs IM02 in my experience with each, the CKR9 wins in terms of bass detail and fullness, subbass depth, 3D soundstage, realism, depth, separation and layering. The IM02 gets the nod in air and details, but the difference detail between the two is minimal. Also gets a plus for detachable cables, but lacks a 3D stage, ie. it's very wide, but without the depth and height of the CKR9. The CKR9 is a more realistic sound, where the IM02 is more similar to the GR07 type of sound. 

Agreed on IM02 comparison.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #16,281 of 16,931
Hello guys, just wanting to send out a pointer that I've discovered about the hobby.

So I finally got a good sound out of my Vsonic VC02 earphones today... and it wasn't from the 'stock' eartips. After trying no less than 25 tips of various materials, brands, shapes & sizes, I was able to 'revive' an earphone that was about to be a gonner. This earphone went from sounding mid-centric with rolled off high & lows, sibilant, claustrophobic and lacking in detail to the opposite: reasonably good hi/low extension, acceptable stage and quite detailed - and now with upper mids & treble that are lush and sweet.

Granted this is an expired earphone, but my point is this: always save your eartips - even if you hate your IEM enough to smash it with a bat... That's right, hoard them tips and be proud! Take my example. I already tried 5-6 brands of tips at home but it wasn't until I got some ancient tips out of my out-of-state storage that were meant for another IEM and chanced on this pairing that I realised this synergy. And most of the time it seems tips are universally compatible - if it's too small you can usually force it on; if it's too big you may be able to push it back far enough to stay on. Saving tips is the way to get the right fit, and unfounded good sound
etysmile.gif

(stock on left versus the fluke fit on the right)

BTW, feel free to send me a PM if you're interested to know where to buy these IEMS, as there is still one seller offering them. Also if anybody happens to know where I can get more of these specific tips (on the right), please let me know, as this is my only pair and is by far the best fit / sound with my ears.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #16,282 of 16,931
  Hello guys, just wanting to send out a pointer that I've discovered about the hobby.

So I finally got a good sound out of my Vsonic VC02 earphones today... and it wasn't from the 'stock' eartips. After trying no less than 25 tips of various materials, brands, shapes & sizes, I was able to 'revive' an earphone that was about to be a gonner. This earphone went from sounding mid-centric with rolled off high & lows, sibilant, claustrophobic and lacking in detail to the opposite: reasonably good hi/low extension, acceptable stage and quite detailed - and now with upper mids & treble that are lush and sweet.

Granted this is an expired earphone, but my point is this: always save your eartips - even if you hate your IEM enough to smash it with a bat... That's right, hoard them tips and be proud! Take my example. I already tried 5-6 brands of tips at home but it wasn't until I got some ancient tips out of my out-of-state storage that were meant for another IEM and chanced on this pairing that I realised this synergy. And most of the time it seems tips are universally compatible - if it's too small you can usually force it on; if it's too big you may be able to push it back far enough to stay on. Saving tips is the way to get the right fit, and unfounded good sound
etysmile.gif

(stock on left versus the fluke fit on the right)

BTW, feel free to send me a PM if you're interested to know where to buy these IEMS, as there is still one seller offering them. Also if anybody happens to know where I can get more of these specific tips (on the right), please let me know, as this is my only pair and is by far the best fit / sound with my ears.

You'd figure most people on Head-Fi keep their tips. I know I have a big, loosely organized box. Not familiar with that particular shape, though.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #16,284 of 16,931
Added a review of the Alpha & Delta AD01 from Lendmeurears

The most up-to-date ranking can be found here.

(2C67) Alpha & Delta AD01

Original Review July 2015

Brief: First offering from Lend Me UR ears’ new house brand

MSRP: approx. $98
Current Price: $91 from lendmeurears.com; $98 from Amazon.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 9Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 10-25k Hz | Cable: 4.3′ L-plug, detachable w/ 2mm DC plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down (preferred) or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), Sony Hybrid-style silicone tips (3 sizes), short double-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), foam tips (1 pair), and spacious zippered case with detachable wrist strap
Build Quality (4/5) – Thanks in large part to their size and heft, the metal housings of the AD01 feel very solid. The cables are detachable, with replacements available via Lend Me UR ears’ website. The earpieces are sold separately as well – always a big plus with detachable-cable earphones in case one is lost or damaged. Cable quality is nice enough – the stock cable is internally twisted and then covered with a smooth sheath. A more premium upgrade cable is available as well
Isolation (3/5) – Good for an earphone of this type
Microphonics (4/5) – Easily tolerable even when worn cable-down
Comfort (3.5/5) – The AD01 is a large straight-barrel earphone and fits similarly to most others. The smooth housings help prevent sore spots but the housing size, together with the strain relief length and angle, is less than ideal for over-the-ear wear

Sound (8.7/10) – The AD01 is the first earphone from Singapore-based headphone shop Lend Me UR ears’ new house brand, Alpha & Delta. It is a dual dynamic driver earphone with an interesting sound tuning – a mild v-shape with a bass bias. As a result, it falls somewhere between V-shaped and warm-and-smooth on my sound-o-meter. This is a pretty versatile signature that makes the AD01 a strong alternative – and potential upgrade – to some of my favorite sub-$100 earphones; the now-defunct SteelSeries Flux, for instance.

The bass of the AD01 is moderately enhanced, with impact and quality similar to the popular Sony MH1C. Both of these earphones can be a touch boomy compared to higher-end, less bass-heavy sets, but the bass also gives them a warmth and richness that, when combined with good clarity, makes for a very likable listening experience. Compared to the rather bass-heavy RHA MA750, on the other hand, the AD01 is decidedly more balanced, with tighter bass and a slightly more neutral tonal character.

Despite its v-shaped sound signature, the AD01’s midrange is not thin-sounding or significantly recessed. In this way it reminds me of the JVC HA-FXT90, another mildly v-shaped dual dynamic that doesn’t sound very mid-recessed. The slightly boosted upper mids and lower treble give the AD01 an advantage in clarity over the Sony MH1C, which has similar bass quantity and warmth. Clarity is on-par or slightly better than with the pricier RHA MA750, though it is impressive that the MA750 can keep up at all considering its greater bass emphasis.

In addition to the midrange being more full-bodied and prominent than could be expected, the AD01 sets itself apart from more conventionally v-shaped earphones with treble that’s neither harsh nor sibilant under normal conditions. Sure, it is brighter and less smooth than the golden standard of the Sony MH1C and HiFiMan RE-400, but compared to other v-shaped sets, especially those in the sub-$100 range, the AD01 strikes a good balance between “lively” and “overbearing”. At the very least, treble quality won’t be a constant caveat with every mention as it is, for instance, with VSonic earphones.

The AD01’s presentation maintains a pretty good sense of depth and width, sounding dynamic and engaging. It’s good for the type of warmer, more bass-biased sound it delivers, but naturally not as out-of-the-head compared to brighter, more airy-sounding sets such as the Ostry KC06, VSonic GR07, and DUNU DN-2000.

Mini Comparisons

SteelSeries Flux In-Ear ($50)

With a warm, clear, and relatively smooth sound, the Flux immediately became one of my favorite sub-$100 in-ears when it was released in late 2012. However, its durability left something to be desired and it was discontinued two years later. The Alpha & Delta AD01 is the most suitable Flux replacement I’ve come across so far, though it places a bit more emphasis on its bass and treble for a more v-shaped sound. The extra bass results in a slightly more full-bodied sound, yet the AD01 is still clearer than the Flux on the whole.

The Flux still has an advantage in overall balance/accuracy and maintains slightly tighter bass. However, its upper mids and treble, despite being less prominent, are a bit grainier compared to the smoother AD01. The AD01 is also quite a bit more efficient.

HiFiMan RE-400 ($79)

The RE-400 and AD01 fall on different sides of “neutral” in sound – the RE-400 is focused on the midrange while the AD01 is somewhat v-shaped, with boosted highs and lows. The AD01 has quite a bit more low-end power than the RE-400. Its bass is more boomy and intrusive, and the overall sound is warmer. The stronger highs of the AD01 are a little more metallic but at times can seem a touch clearer compared to the more laid-back, smooth, and dull RE-400.

The RE-400 has tighter bass, less full-bodied mids, and more neutral overall tone. Surprisingly, though, despite its brighter tone and thinner note presentation, it is not significantly clearer than the AD01. On the whole, while the RE-400 may offer a more refined and smooth sound, these two earphones are similar enough in performance and so different in sound tuning that each makes the other sound quite “off” in an A:B comparison.

VSonic VSD3S ($50)

Thanks to VSonic’s accelerating product release cycle as of late, the VSD3S is just one of several latest-gen, sub-GR07 models in the company’s lineup. However, to date it rates among my favorite sub-$50 IEMs. The AD01 offers a warmer, smoother, more full-bodied sound compared to the brighter VSD3S. Clarity is generally similar between the two earphones but on tracks with more bass the slightly more controlled low end of the VSD3S pays dividends. The VSD3S is more sibilant, however, and on the whole appears to be a touch more v-shaped. This is also mirrored in its slightly wider presentation, which puts more distance between listener and performance than does the more intimate AD01.

VSonic GR07 Classic ($99)

The GR07, in one form or another, has been around for nearly five years now and remains the IEM to match for admittance to the high-end IEM caste. At first listen, the GR07 compares to the AD01 just as the VSD3S does – the AD01 is again the warmer, bassier, and fuller-sounding earphone. It is smoother and less sibilance-prone than the brighter GR07, but also more intimate and not as out-of-the-head in terms of presentation.

Where the difference come in are the little details – the GR07 is just that little bit more balanced, poised, and refined than the VSD3S, which really shows when comparing both of the VSonics to a highly capable set like the AD01. The bass boost of the AD01 – and the slight boominess that comes with it – is much more noticeable when pitting the AD01 against the more balanced GR07 than against the VSD3S. The bass of the GR07 is tighter and more controlled. Clarity is better, too, though the difference is natural considering the AD01’s higher bass quantity – in fact, for such an impactful earphone the AD01 keeps up surprisingly well here.

Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear ($99)

Sennheiser’s latest and greatest factors into any conversation where v-shaped ~$100 earphones are involved. It is a great example of the breed, combining deep and powerful bass with a slightly withdrawn midrange and crisp treble for a textbook example of a v-shaped sound profile. The AD01 is slightly warmer than the Momentum and remains more full-bodied and rich through the midrange. The bass of the AD01 is a little boomier while the Momentum’s is tighter, but otherwise the Alpha & Delta unit tends to be a little clearer. This surprised me as I was expecting the thinner-sounding Momentum to pull ahead here, but the more recessed mids don’t do it any favors. The Momentum does have a slightly wider presentation while the bassier and more upfront AD01 has slightly better depth.

Value (9/10) – The first earphone from Lend Me UR ears’ Alpha & Delta brand offers a desirable sound tuning and very strong performance at a mid-tier price point. The mildly v-shaped sound delivers good bass punch and warm tone while avoiding most of the caveats of inexpensive v-shaped earphones. Additional perks include replaceable cables and a nice accessory kit. In many ways it reminds me of a 1st-gen HiFiMan release – not in sound tuning, but in the way that the sound and a few other selling points make an earphone that’s a bit rough around the edges recommendable over many established brands.

Pros: Very impressive warm, slightly v-shaped sound; solid construction with replaceable cables
Cons: Bulky and not particularly sleek; L/R markings can be hard to see in low light

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #16,285 of 16,931
Hello everyone, I was looking for something that sounds like Mrice E100/Baldoor (which I think is fantastic for the quality / price ratio) but that isolates more from outside noise! What do you recommend (possibly detachble cable)? Sorry for the english 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #16,286 of 16,931
  Hello everyone, I was looking for something that sounds like Mrice E100/Baldoor (which I think is fantastic for the quality / price ratio) but that isolates more from outside noise! What do you recommend (possibly detachble cable)? Sorry for the english 
biggrin.gif

Not sure what those are (or are comparable to). Perhaps someone else has something to recommend. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #16,288 of 16,931
Added the Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 reviews. These have been a long time coming. 

As always, the most up-to-date summary table can be found here.

(2C68) Philips Fidelio S1

Reviewed July 2015

Brief: One of the two in-ears Philips deems worthy of the flagship “Fidelio” badge

MSRP: $99.95 
Current Price: $90 from ebay.com;  $110 from Amazon.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 107 dB | Freq: 5-25k Hz | Cable: 3.9′ L-plug w/mic & 1-button remote
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Comply T/Ts200, Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), Comply S200 memory foam tips, and zippered clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (3/5) – The build quality of the Fidelio S1 and S2 earphones is extremely similar but the S1 features a cheap-looking plastic baffle at the front, in contrast to the all-metal S2. Issues have been reported with the seal around the front baffle on the S1. While this has not been the case with either of the two units I have, a nozzle filter detached on one of my units and had to be glued back in place. The S1 utilizes good-quality flat cables with an in-line microphone and single-button remote
Isolation (3/5) – Average, not as bad as could be expected from a shallow-fit design
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Good
Comfort (3.5/5) – The Fidelio S1 and S2 are built around 13.5mm dynamic drivers – large for IEMs, but definitely not unheard of. Philips chose a half in-ear form factor for the earphones, placing the driver enclosure in the outer ear with an angled nozzle fitting into the ear canal. This sacrifices some noise isolation for the comfort of a shallow seal, but the wide housings fitting 13.5mm drivers put a lower limit on the size of ears that will tolerate these earphones – smaller ears just won’t fit the housings comfortably

Sound (8.9/10) – Philips did a spectacularly good job with the tuning of their new high-end Fidelio line, both the two Fidelio in-ears and the on/over-ear models I tried at CES 2015. The Philips Fidelio in-ears sound clear and accurate with just the right amount of bass kick. The low end extends nicely, with very mild overall boost and medium impact reminiscent of the popular VSonic GR07.

The mids are crystal clear, with resolution to rival accuracy-oriented IEMs from VSonic and HiFiMan. The lack of bloat helps, allowing the bass of the Fidelio earphones to shine and keeping the midrange completely clear of bleed. Treble presence is good too – the earphones aren’t lacking at the top end for my tastes, and I’ve been known to enjoy a more energetic sound. At the same time, the treble is free of grain and harshness, though there is some upper midrange lift affecting the tone of guitars and vocals. In comparison, the VSonic GR07 sounds a little peaky and sibilant at the top end while the HiFiMan RE-400 is smoother and more laid-back.

The presentation boasts good width with average depth, reminding me of a slightly more mid-focused and less broad-sounding VSonic GR07. Curiously, the Fidelio earphones are not super efficient for a portable audio product and take more power to reach listening volume than much of the competition. This isn’t a problem except for those who gauge sound quality by maximum attainable volume – there’s still plenty of headroom with portable players. The earphones aren’t picky with sources, either, and sound decent enough from a sub-par Android phone.

There is one small caveat with the both the S1 and S2: they require a very good acoustic seal to perform their best. This is true for almost all IEMs but because of the shallow fit and near-neutral tuning of the Fidelios, there’s not much room for error. The large size of the housings and limited insertion depth play a factor as well. Without a good seal the bass quantity drops, the treble sounds a touch hot and spitty, and the presentation loses its depth.

Select Comparisons

Philips Fidelio S2 ($100)

The Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 really don’t differ much, especially when it comes to sound. In addition to its better build quality and fit kit, the pricier S2 model has a slightly more full-bodied sound with a touch more bass. Both can sound a little hot in the treble, especially without an optimal seal, but the S2 is a touch smoother with stock tips. At the same time, it maintains a marginally more airy sound than the lower-end model.

Moe Audio MOE-SS01 ($65)

Like the dual-driver MOE-SS01, the Fidelio S1 boasts mildly enhanced bass and prominent, crisp upper mids and treble. The Philips earphones boast a touch more sub-bass weight compared to the MOE, sounding more solid when it comes to bass punch. Tonally, the Philips earphones are warmer, with mids that appear a bit fuller and smoother. The MOE-SS01 is brighter and harsher. It sounds a little less natural in terms of tone and timbre but easily keeps up in clarity and detail, which is impressive. The presentations tend to be similar, with pretty good width and average depth.

Astrotec AX-35 ($70)

The Fidelio S1 offers up a more balanced sound while the hybrid BA + dynamic-driver AX-35 tends to be more v-shaped in response. The Astrotec unit has more bass but the extra enhancement comes in the mid-bass region, so it doesn’t have an advantage in bass depth. The Fidelio S1 is more mid-centric in comparison and has fuller, more fleshed-out mids, while the AX-35 is a little thinner-sounding. Neither unit is especially smooth – the S1 has some emphasis in the upper mid/lower treble region, which gives guitars a characteristic crunch, while the treble emphasis of the AX-35 comes in higher up, resulting in a slightly more sibilant sound. The AX-35 has a slightly more 3-dimensional presentation with better layering compared to the Philips, and is also noticeably more efficient.

HiFiMan RE-400 ($79)

Compared to HiFiMan’s similarly-priced RE-400 model, the S1 has better bass depth and more bass overall. However, it still sounds a little less full-bodied and not as warm. Its upper midrange and treble are more energetic whereas the RE-400 is smoother and more laid-back up top with a more forgiving treble character. The S1 also has a wider soundstage while the RE-400 is more intimate, but also more even in terms of depth and width.

VSonic VC1000 ($125)

The S1 is a balanced-sounding dynamic-driver earphone that reminds me in many ways of VSonic’s pricier dynamic-driver sets. Compared to the balanced armature-driven VC1000, it boasts more bass, especially deep bass, and has a warmer overall tone. While less powerful, the low end of the VC1000 is tighter and a bit clearer. Its midrange is more prominent in comparison, and on the whole the VC1000 sounds more mid-centric next to the Fidelio S1. Interestingly, while the VC1000 boasts similar, or even slightly greater, treble energy, it actually does a better job of keeping its treble smooth. The Fidelio S1 appears a little harsher and peakier, and tends to be even less forgiving than the VC1000, which itself is not exactly smoothed-over.

Value (8.5/10) – The Philips Fidelio S1 earphones are well-designed, user-friendly, and have good fit and finish. Offering a flat and level signature with a bump across the bass range, the Fidelio models also feature tangle-resistant cabling and a built-in microphone and remote. The semi-open design makes them great in situations where the higher noise isolation of most other high-end earphones is undesirable—and a great choice for those who don’t like the more intrusive fit of most other IEMs. The only thing that would steer me away from recommending them is the price of the higher-end Fidelio S2 dropping ever close in today’s market.

Pros: Shallow-fit design; balanced and capable sound
Cons: Mediocre isolation; housings on the large side

(2B28) Philips Fidelio S2

Reviewed July 2015

Brief: Flagship earphone in Philips’ sound-focused Fidelio line

MSRP: $149.99
Current Price: $105 from amazon.com;  $125 from ebay.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 22Ω | Sens: 107 dB | Freq: 15-24k Hz | Cable: 3.9′ L-plug w/mic & 1-button remote
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Comply T/Ts200, Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (5 sizes), Comply S200 (1 pair) and Ts200 (1 pair) memory foam tips, and zippered clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The construction of the Fidelio S2 is similar to the S1 model, but – in contrast to the partly-plastic S2 – is all-metal and boasts a fancy-looking glossy finish reminiscent of ceramic earphones such as Sennheiser’s  IE 800. The earphone utilizes textured flat cables with an in-line microphone and single-button remote
Isolation (3/5) – Average, not as bad as could be expected from a shallow-fit design
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Good
Comfort (3.5/5) – The Fidelio S1 and S2 are built around 13.5mm dynamic drivers – large for IEMs, but definitely not unheard of. Philips chose a half in-ear form factor for the earphones, placing the driver enclosure in the outer ear with an angled nozzle fitting into the ear canal. This sacrifices some noise isolation for the comfort of a shallow seal, but the wide housings fitting 13.5mm drivers put a lower limit on the size of ears that will tolerate these earphones – smaller ears just won’t fit the housings comfortably

Sound (9/10) – Philips did a spectacularly good job with the tuning of their new high-end Fidelio line, both the two in-ears and the on/over-ear models I tried at the 2015 CES. The Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 in-ears sound clear and accurate with just the right amount of bass kick. The low end extends nicely, with mild overall boost and impact reminiscent of the VSonic GR07, an IEM highly renowned in audiophile circles.

The mids are crystal clear, with resolution to rival accuracy-oriented in-ears from VSonic and HiFiMan. The lack of bloat helps, allowing the deep bass of the Fidelio S2 to shine and keeping the midrange completely clear of bass bleed. Treble presence is good too – the earphones aren’t lacking at the top end for my tastes, and I’ve been known to enjoy a more energetic sound. At the same time, the treble is free of grain and harshness, but there’s a bit of a lift in the upper midrange and lower treble area. In comparison, the VSonic GR07 sounds a little peaky and sibilant at the top end, while the HiFiMan RE-400 is smoother and more laid-back.

The presentation boasts good width with average depth, reminding me of a slightly more mid-focused and less broad-sounding VSonic GR07. Curiously, the Fidelio earphones are not super efficient for a portable audio product and take more power to reach listening volume than much of the competition. This isn’t a problem except for those who gauge sound quality by maximum attainable volume – there’s still plenty of headroom with portable players. The earphones aren’t picky with sources, either, and sound decent enough from a sub-par Android phone.

There is one small caveat with the both the S1 and S2: they require a very good acoustic seal to perform their best. This is true for almost all IEMs but because of the shallow fit and near-neutral tuning of the Fidelios, there’s not much room for error. The large size of the housings and limited insertion depth play a factor as well. Without a good seal the bass quantity drops, the treble sounds a touch hot and spitty, and the presentation loses its depth. Here, the pricier S2 model has an advantage of the S1 with its extra eartip sizes and Comply Ts-series foam tips.

Select Comparisons

Philips Fidelio S1 ($100)

The Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 really don’t differ much, especially when it comes to sound. In addition to its better build quality and fit kit, the pricier S2 model has a slightly more full-bodied sound with a touch more bass. Both can sound a little hot in the treble, especially without an optimal seal, but the S2 is a touch smoother with stock tips. At the same time, it maintains a marginally more airy sound than the lower-end model.

HiFiMan RE-400 ($79)

One of the pioneers of accurate-sounding dynamic-driver earphones, HiFiMan have been selling earphones in this segment since 2008 or so. Compared to the Fidelio S2, their latest $100 offering, the HiFiMan RE-400, is more efficient, warmer in tone, and boasts more intimate mids and a more in-the-head presentation overall.

The Fidelio S2 has more subbass & bass in general but is also less warm and a touch clearer as a result. The mids on the S2 are less forward but it has a boost in the upper midrange/lower treble and sounds brighter on the whole. The RE-400 is smoother and more laid-back up top, sounding more refined and forgiving. The Fidelio S2 is more spacious and has a wider soundstage but gives up the intimate feel and more well-rounded presentation (in terms of depth and width being more even) of the RE-400.

VSonic GR07 Classic ($99)

VSonic’s similarly-priced, accurate-sounding dynamic-driver IEM is a direct competitor for the Fidelio S2. The GR07 is more sensitive than the Fidelio S2 but otherwise they don’t sound very different, either. The two have similar bass quantity, but the S2 has a flatter/more linear low end while the GR07 has a bit more of a mid-bass hump. As a result, the VSonic unit boasts a hair more bass impact, slightly warmer tone, and a more full-bodied sound while the Fidelio S2 sounds a touch thinner and has a cooler tonal character.

Despite being less warm than the GR07 and having some upper midrange lift, the S2 tends to sound smoother than the GR07 and is less prone to sibilance. The VSonic unit does have a slightly more spacious and three-dimensional presentation, but, thanks in large part to the sibilance, I don’t feel that it is superior to the Philips overall.

RHA MA750 ($120)

Compared to RHA’s warm and bassy MA750, the Fidelio S2 is much more neutral, clearer, and more transparent, but also a little harsher in the treble region. The MA750 sounds thicker overall and suffers from more bass bloat. It is definitely smoother than the Philips, but the top end can still be a little tizzy, especially at high volumes, and the deeper v-shape of its sound signature is audible.

RBH EP1 ($149)

The EP1 is notable for having a very similar form factor to the Fidelio S2, as well as similar build and accessories. The sound of the EP1 is bassier, with the enhancement most audible in the mid-bass region. Its mids are more forward and can appear a little clearer as a result, though on the whole the Fidelio S2 has similar clarity. The RBH unit is also a little harsher, can appear less natural in tone, and its presentation is a little more congested. The more balanced and neutral S2 – despite its slightly more recessed mids – sounds more realistic.

Dunu DN-1000 ($200)

The Fidelio S2 is a dynamic-driver earphone with accuracy-oriented tuning. The DN-1000, which boasts a v-shaped sound signature, has much more of a “wow” factor to its acoustics. Its powerful bass easily outpaces the Philips set, which itself is no slouch when it comes to depth and impact. More surprisingly, the Dunu seems a bit clearer than the more balanced-sounding Philips, due in part to its brighter tonal character. The Fidelio S2 is not the most exciting earphone in the first place, and next to the DN-1000 it sounds especially dull. On the downside, the treble of the DN-1000 has a more “metallic” timbre than that of the Fidelio S2, especially at higher volumes, which is not uncommon for earphones based on the Knowles TWFK driver. The Fidelio S2 is also significantly less efficient than the DN-1000.

Noble 4S ($999)

Compared to the Fidelio S2, the Noble 4S clearer and more balanced, but also a little thinner. The S2 has more bass emphasis and sounds a more full-bodied as a result. It lacks some of the clarity of the 4S, though, and gets harsh a lot more easily. The 4S, despite having a similarly healthy amount of treble energy, is smoother, especially at higher volumes. Lastly, the 4S sounds more airy and open and has better soundstage depth and layering while the S2 is more closed-in.

Value (9/10) – Philips is not the first brand that comes to mind when I think “headphone Hi-Fi,” but the Dutch electronics giant has been designing and manufacturing headphones since the 1960s – longer than many of its current competitors have been in business. The 2012 introduction of the Fidelio line of performance-oriented audio products, with its aggressive pricing and solid audio quality, makes it clear that the company is still serious the about high-end personal audio market.

The Philips Fidelio S2 is a well-designed, user-friendly earphone boasting a neutral sound signature with a bump across the bass range, tangle-resistant cabling, and a built-in microphone and remote. The semi-open design makes them great in situations where the higher noise isolation of most other high-end earphones is undesirable—and a great choice for those who don’t like the more intrusive fit of most other IEMs. For a flagship product, they are also quite reasonably priced, costing less than the flagship IEM from any of the other major manufacturers.

Pros: Shallow-fit design; balanced and very capable sound
Cons: Mediocre isolation; housings on the large side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back