Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #15,751 of 16,931
*sigh* 

The day has come where my Brainwavz B2's have gone the journey. The left monitor has just gone silent and no amount of cable wiggling can illicit any sort of response.

Yes, they were harsh and sibiliant and difficult to tame in some tracks even with a clean output, decent DAC and EQ'ing... but I enjoyed them despite all of that... and I only paid £65 (Now the only pair I can find is over £165).

Even my other old favourite, the Hifiman RE-ZERO appears to have gone the way of the dinosaur and vanished from the marketplace so I'm on the hunt for a new pair of phones.

Early considerations: (Price and availability checks pending)

Hifiman RE-400A (£55) - Is in the same balanced group as the DBA-02 as per the Joker guide by sound signature.
VSonic GR07 Classic (£66 Vs. £76 for Mk II) - Like the RE-400 but a step up - Wondering about the GR07 Mk II which I'm seeing also
Brainwavz R3 (£80) - From the review here, sounds like it'll hit most of the marks that my B2 hit albeit not quite as good... and have the added bonus of lower sibilance/harshness

4th Edit: The RE-400's, from reading much of the Joker Bible, seem to be more of what I want than the other two.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #15,752 of 16,931
I'm still seeing if i'm ordering from inside europe or asia so the prices vary, but usd-eur exchange is not very good for us europeans so i might buy inside EU. I also have a person in Canada that can bring them to me.

I want small and comfortable so I know they fit right , and will be wearing them straight down.

My issue is: earbuds tend to fall from my ears, that's why i bought my first iem some 10 years ago and haven't used earbuds since, but I grew to dislike the sometimes claustrophobic isolation and emptiness feeling IEM provide walking in the street and public transporation, so i wanted to try earbuds. Almost bought Yuin pk3 but wasn't sure they would fit, so orderer the dasetn pk3. Now the sunrise cable broke, and since i've using them the past 5 or 6 years i want something new and different soundwise.

What about the Brainwavz S1? I like the idea of putting them on a pocket and not worry about getting tangled cables, and they seem durable. Maybe a bit too V sound sig?

The Re400 are maybe a little out of what i want to spend.

My list so far:

Brainwavz S1

Phonak 012

Vsonic R02

Vsonic VC02

Moe Audio MOE-SS01

Meelectronic a151

Hisoundaudio Crystal

Astrotec ax-35

HiSoundAudio BA100

Dunu DN-22 Detonator
OSTRY KC06
Fidue A63

In "short" what i'm looking for: Smooth/warm and detailed mids and top end, i want to hear the vocals and instruments, soundstage and separation. Not a basshead and don't listen much to hard music such as electronic trance, techno ,death/black metal , etc so not insterested in bass quantity but quality and control

You should try Yurbuds enhancers on earbuds. It'll keep them in your ears. $10 for 2 pairs through the Yurbuds site. Amazon and eBay listings will have them at $15 for ONE pair. I have them on my Blox BE3 and BE7 and love the openness of earbuds with secure fit. Added bonus is that it retains the bass lost from not directly going into the ear canal.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #15,753 of 16,931

What about the Brainwavz S1? I like the idea of putting them on a pocket and not worry about getting tangled cables, and they seem durable. Maybe a bit too V sound sig?

Yes, much more so than what you're asking for. 

*sigh* 

The day has come where my Brainwavz B2's have gone the journey. The left monitor has just gone silent and no amount of cable wiggling can illicit any sort of response.

Yes, they were harsh and sibiliant and difficult to tame in some tracks even with a clean output, decent DAC and EQ'ing... but I enjoyed them despite all of that... and I only paid £65 (Now the only pair I can find is over £165).

Even my other old favourite, the Hifiman RE-ZERO appears to have gone the way of the dinosaur and vanished from the marketplace so I'm on the hunt for a new pair of phones.

Early considerations: (Price and availability checks pending)

Hifiman RE-400A (£55) - Is in the same balanced group as the DBA-02 as per the Joker guide by sound signature.
VSonic GR07 Classic (£66 Vs. £76 for Mk II) - Like the RE-400 but a step up - Wondering about the GR07 Mk II which I'm seeing also
Brainwavz R3 (£80) - From the review here, sounds like it'll hit most of the marks that my B2 hit albeit not quite as good... and have the added bonus of lower sibilance/harshness

4th Edit: The RE-400's, from reading much of the Joker Bible, seem to be more of what I want than the other two.

Considering that you liked the RE-ZERO and don't mind having a less bright and revealing earphone than the B2, I would agree that the RE-400 is a better option than the others you're considering. 

The R3 is quite similar to the RE-400 (more so than the B2) but I think it moves in the wrong direction from the RE-400 for what you want - towards a warmer, less resolving sound. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #15,754 of 16,931

Considering that you liked the RE-ZERO and don't mind having a less bright and revealing earphone than the B2, I would agree that the RE-400 is a better option than the others you're considering. 

The R3 is quite similar to the RE-400 (more so than the B2) but I think it moves in the wrong direction from the RE-400 for what you want - towards a warmer, less resolving sound. 

Thanks |joker| once again for your guide and advice. I've put a support ticket in to MP4Nation to see if I'm still in warranty and see if they can do anything for me.

The two RE-400's I can see are £55-60 and are both overseas which means I may get thumped by tax and handling charges when they come into the UK. Or I could pay about £80 from a UK vendor and have no additional charges but that takes them into the GR07 classic and R3 price ranges. Might find an eBay seller that uses their awful Global Seller Programme to pre-pay import charges and save me some hassle.

What tips are recommended for the RE-400's?

PS: must remember to return my Topping NX2. The Amp/DAC seems to be unshielded which makes it unsuitable to pair with my Note 3 so it's got to go the journey despite providing a significant boost to the audio end product of my B2's.

PPS: I would probably be best off pairing an RE-400 with an HM-700 (£175 wwith the RE-400B but stock expected late April) as a PAP but price and capacity wise the Fiio X1 (£60 inc atm) really has my vote. Considering these prices I might just grab an X1 and the RE-400's.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #15,755 of 16,931

Yes, much more so than what you're asking for. 

Maybe i'll go for them, i also want something different sounding from the Xcape. Was going to pull the trigger on the Fidue A63 but i'm afraid they won't fit and i have to return them. What do you recommend that can be worn straight down and are comfortable and durable?
The Phonak 012 discount does seem pretty tempting but with shipping to canada or europe plus customs it will probably be too expensive.

Ive narrowed down to this list with prices:

Brainwavz S1                     50 
Brainwavz M1                    35
Fidue A63                         55 
Dunu Trident                     28 
astrotec am90                   38
Brainwavz s0                     46 
Fidue A63                         55 
Fischer Audio silver bullet    43 
Dunu DN-22 Detonator        40 
Vsonic VSD1/S                  40

Leaning towards the vsonic, dunu and astrotec

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #15,756 of 16,931

Glad you're enjoying them!

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Yes, they are

hi ljokerl...

i'd like to ask for pointers... my budget is $200 down. my current IEM is the altone200. the altone200 is just a little too bright for my inner ear. I really like them but, my inner ear recently developed a sensitivity pain to high frequency sounds so... the altone200 is on it's way out.

the past couple of of hours googling lead me to FAD Heaven V. I think i know i will like this IEM but, reports say it's quite a bit microphonic (more than most), and that's a bit of a no-no with my needs of commuting and jogging.

I checked out rha ma750 and your review of it, from what i read, the rolled-off treble would suit my "inner ear needs" so-to-speak, but i dislike the bass. I'm more of a grado or planar kind of person. a lean, tight, punchy bass is fun, but bloated, fat, round, and too much bass is a no-no.

So here i am asking you, the seasoned IEM listener, is there any iem $200 down that is less, less hot than t-peos altone200, but not too bassy as the ma750...?
My secondary importance is how the IEM renders female vocals too. The better the IEM render female vocals, the better...

regards and thank you in advance... :)

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #15,757 of 16,931

hi ljokerl...

i'd like to ask for pointers... my budget is $200 down. my current IEM is the altone200. the altone200 is just a little too bright for my inner ear. I really like them but, my inner ear recently developed a sensitivity pain to high frequency sounds so... the altone200 is on it's way out.

the past couple of of hours googling lead me to FAD Heaven V. I think i know i will like this IEM but, reports say it's quite a bit microphonic (more than most), and that's a bit of a no-no with my needs of commuting and jogging.

I checked out rha ma750 and your review of it, from what i read, the rolled-off treble would suit my "inner ear needs" so-to-speak, but i dislike the bass. I'm more of a grado or planar kind of person. a lean, tight, punchy bass is fun, but bloated, fat, round, and too much bass is a no-no.

So here i am asking you, the seasoned IEM listener, is there any iem $200 down that is less, less hot than t-peos altone200, but not too bassy as the ma750...?
My secondary importance is how the IEM renders female vocals too. The better the IEM render female vocals, the better...

I know Joker really likes the TDK BA200 and from what he says about them, they seem like a good fit for you if you can find them. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #15,758 of 16,931

Thanks |joker| once again for your guide and advice. I've put a support ticket in to MP4Nation to see if I'm still in warranty and see if they can do anything for me.

The two RE-400's I can see are £55-60 and are both overseas which means I may get thumped by tax and handling charges when they come into the UK. Or I could pay about £80 from a UK vendor and have no additional charges but that takes them into the GR07 classic and R3 price ranges. Might find an eBay seller that uses their awful Global Seller Programme to pre-pay import charges and save me some hassle.

What tips are recommended for the RE-400's?

PS: must remember to return my Topping NX2. The Amp/DAC seems to be unshielded which makes it unsuitable to pair with my Note 3 so it's got to go the journey despite providing a significant boost to the audio end product of my B2's.

PPS: I would probably be best off pairing an RE-400 with an HM-700 (£175 wwith the RE-400B but stock expected late April) as a PAP but price and capacity wise the Fiio X1 (£60 inc atm) really has my vote. Considering these prices I might just grab an X1 and the RE-400's.

I actually like the small RE-400 double-flanges. Also have used them with some Meelec M6 tips and Complys, but I wouldn't recommend buying any extra tips outright - not until you've tried the stock tips and any others you have sitting around. 

Maybe i'll go for them, i also want something different sounding from the Xcape. Was going to pull the trigger on the Fidue A63 but i'm afraid they won't fit and i have to return them. What do you recommend that can be worn straight down and are comfortable and durable?
The Phonak 012 discount does seem pretty tempting but with shipping to canada or europe plus customs it will probably be too expensive.

Ive narrowed down to this list with prices:

Brainwavz S1                     50 
Brainwavz M1                    35
Fidue A63                         55 
Dunu Trident                     28 
astrotec am90                   38
Brainwavz s0                     46 
Fidue A63                         55 
Fischer Audio silver bullet    43 
Dunu DN-22 Detonator        40 
Vsonic VSD1/S                  40

Leaning towards the vsonic, dunu and astrotec

The Silver Bullet is probably the closest to what you're asking for.  A63 might work in terms of sound but comfort can be tricky. Most of the rest are either bass-light, harsh, or bloated compared to the Xcape. VSD1S is good if you can deal with mild sibilance (which the Xcape doesn't have).

hi ljokerl...

Yes, BA200 would be a good one for smooth sound. Bass is very flat compared to the Altone and MA750 and it's much smoother overall. HiFiMan RE-400 is another less expensive and more readily available option for level bass and very smooth sound.

There's also the Klipsch X10 if you want more bass (closer to T-Peos bass level than to flat) and are willing to live with some treble roll-off. I personally prefer the more neutral HiFiMan and TDK, but coming from the Altone you might miss some of that enhanced bass with those two.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #15,759 of 16,931

I actually like the small RE-400 double-flanges. Also have used them with some Meelec M6 tips and Complys, but I wouldn't recommend buying any extra tips outright - not until you've tried the stock tips and any others you have sitting around. 

The Silver Bullet is probably the closest to what you're asking for.  A63 might work in terms of sound but comfort can be tricky. Most of the rest are either bass-light, harsh, or bloated compared to the Xcape. VSD1S is good if you can deal with mild sibilance (which the Xcape doesn't have).

Yes, BA200 would be a good one for smooth sound. Bass is very flat compared to the Altone and MA750 and it's much smoother overall. HiFiMan RE-400 is another less expensive and more readily available option for level bass and very smooth sound.

There's also the Klipsch X10 if you want more bass (closer to T-Peos bass level than to flat) and are willing to live with some treble roll-off. I personally prefer the more neutral HiFiMan and TDK, but coming from the Altone you might miss some of that enhanced bass with those two.

i just googled, ba200 couldn't be found where i live, found a used klipsch x10 but nobody sells it new... how about im01 and heaven IV or V and gr8e... have you heard final audio offerings?
i'm putting aside the re-400 recommendation for now because, as good as HFM offerings are, i got burned in the past by them so they are not high on my buy list...

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #15,760 of 16,931

i just googled, ba200 couldn't be found where i live, found a used klipsch x10 but nobody sells it new... how about im01 and heaven IV or V and gr8e... have you heard final audio offerings?
i'm putting aside the re-400 recommendation for now because, as good as HFM offerings are, i got burned in the past by them so they are not high on my buy list...

You got burned? You can go for Heaven IV or V. they are a bit expensive i think. Heaven II is cheap.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #15,761 of 16,931

I don't mind bass lightness, but harshness is another story, I'm too used to the Pro 900 being that way. The Astrotec are the only pair i could find and i've got some curiosity about armature drivers. It's between these three then.
I'll forget about what i said i wanted, maybe the Xcape already has those qualities since i've had no other iem to compare to, so the goal is something different. They've served me very well the 5.5 years I owned them, and luckily very well chosen at the time.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #15,762 of 16,931

Thanks again, |jjoker|.

I've got plenty of tips left over from my Brainwavz B2's, old Meelec  tips from my Dad and triple flange Ety's. Might also have some Sony Hybrids left too. Plenty of choice.

At the end of the day I went for a pair of RE--400A's and a Fiio X1. About 2 thirds of the price of a 32Gb HM-700 and RE-400B bundle and expandable if I want a larger MicroSD. 

Might not be everyone's choice but working within a budget and sound signature is a challenge unique to every individual.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #15,763 of 16,931
I've been going through all of the reviews for the IEM below $100 for about an hour now. I can't believe how extensive it is, man, seriously, bravo. But considering it's from a few years ago, I have some info to go by, but possibly not the most accurate. I had the VSD3S's but I washed them in the washer machine and now they've stopped working. I really really loved the way they sounded and the style of them. Considering I have a budget of about $35 - $50 should I just stick to the VSD3S's? I was very interested in the style of Etymotic's IEM and I was just wondering some alternatives I could maybe look at that have good sound signature for my price range? 

You have such good info, man, It'd be amazing if you could just provide me with some info when you get the chance. Thank you! 

Ps. Maybe a piece of useful info. I work at a best buy, and upon checking some employee discount prices, I can grab the Klipsch R6 for about $36 apposed to the retail of about $80. would that be a better choice? I know for a fact I can get some great sound for that price range as well. 

Thanks again! 

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #15,764 of 16,931
  I've been going through all of the reviews for the IEM below $100 for about an hour now. I can't believe how extensive it is, man, seriously, bravo. But considering it's from a few years ago, I have some info to go by, but possibly not the most accurate. I had the VSD3S's but I washed them in the washer machine and now they've stopped working. I really really loved the way they sounded and the style of them. Considering I have a budget of about $35 - $50 should I just stick to the VSD3S's? I was very interested in the style of Etymotic's IEM and I was just wondering some alternatives I could maybe look at that have good sound signature for my price range? 

You have such good info, man, It'd be amazing if you could just provide me with some info when you get the chance. Thank you! 

Ps. Maybe a piece of useful info. I work at a best buy, and upon checking some employee discount prices, I can grab the Klipsch R6 for about $36 apposed to the retail of about $80. would that be a better choice? I know for a fact I can get some great sound for that price range as well. 

Thanks again! 

If you can buy some time you may want to wait & see how the new VSD2/2S impressions (which have the price tag of $45) are coming out,cld be little better than VSD3 series but little below the level of VSD5?.....just sayin.

http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-VSD2S

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #15,765 of 16,931

X10 was officially replaced with the X11, but here in the US X10 is still cheaper. Not familiar with the IM01 or Final Audios aside from the Heaven S/A/C (which are discontinued, I think) and the Heaven II, which is probably brighter than what you're looking for. I didn't find it to be too harsh, but it's not an especially smooth earphone. I guess you can also consider Ultimate Ears 600 and SteelSeries Flux In-Ear PRO if available. The UE600 provides a more mid-centric sound while the Flux In-Ear Pro is a bit warmer a-la BA200.

I don't mind bass lightness, but harshness is another story, I'm too used to the Pro 900 being that way. The Astrotec are the only pair i could find and i've got some curiosity about armature drivers. It's between these three then.
I'll forget about what i said i wanted, maybe the Xcape already has those qualities since i've had no other iem to compare to, so the goal is something different. They've served me very well the 5.5 years I owned them, and luckily very well chosen at the time.

To avoid harshness, then, I would go A63 or Astrotec. They're both quite smooth. The AM-90 is overall flatter and more neutral, though it doesn't have the best extension. The A63 is more colored overall and has more robust bass and some emphasis in the midrange as well. If you want to try BA, the AM-90 is as good a first step as any.

Might not be everyone's choice but working within a budget and sound signature is a challenge unique to every individual.

Yeah, tell me about it 
tongue.gif

Thanks again! 

This thread has new reviews added all the time, but it can be a little long and convoluted to read through so I also keep a "best of the best" buyer's guide here that's always up to date with my latest recommendations 
wink.gif

The Etymotic IEM you'll get for $50 or so will be good as a change from your VSonics, but it won't be better than the VSD3. Not sure what will - I haven't tried the R6 and most of the IEMs I'd rate on par tend to be pricier - the Ostry KC06, for instance, and the Havi B3 PRO I. With a hard $50 budget I'd personally get another VSonic - either the VSD3S or one of the new ones coming out that Shawn71 mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back