Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #15,436 of 16,931
What is the usual recommended upgrade from GR07 BE?

I have this pair for 2 years and I simply love the sound. Everything is so detailed, bass is good, for me they are (almost) perfect. Everything sounds good on them. However, I'm wondering what IEMs would be an upgrade over these? I'm talking about a next normal step, not like 1200USD IEMs. I listen mostly to EDM, Electronic, HipHop.

I was a GR07 BE user for over a year, I loved them, few months ago decided to go for the fidue A83, very happy with my decision, they have more and better bass, so it will suit for music taste.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #15,437 of 16,931
@joker You are amazing mate.

Just want to share a story... I remember around 2+ years ago I can here asking what I should get as my next IEM and you recommended me the Yamaha EPH-100 (the little micro-driver) amongst 2 others (Ortofon EQ-5 + something else). I looked at them and immediately decided to go for the Yamaha as you said they would be best for Trance music. Then I sold them on about 6 months later after realising the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore were quite good, however recently I started missing the punchy and full sound of the EPH-100. So....

Now, a massive amount of time later... I have bought my second pair of EPH-100 and started enjoying them all over again. I think it should be crowned best single micro-driver IEM in the world, currently (in your list)!

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #15,438 of 16,931
  I think it should be crowned best single micro-driver IEM in the world, currently (in your list)!

Just want to share a story... I remember around 2+ years ago I can here asking what I should get as my next IEM and you recommended me the Yamaha EPH-100 (the little micro-driver) amongst 2 others (Ortofon EQ-5 + something else). I looked at them and immediately decided to go for the Yamaha as you said they would be best for Trance music. Then I sold them on about 6 months later after realising the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore were quite good, however recently I started missing the punchy and full sound of the EPH-100. So....

Now, a massive amount of time later... I have bought my second pair of EPH-100 and started enjoying them all over again.

I kinda doubt that not only because I wasn't mighty impressed with the eph-100 but also because you forget that there are higher-end iems withsingle microdrivers like the aurisonic rockets for instance,

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #15,439 of 16,931
I was a GR07 BE user for over a year, I loved them, few months ago decided to go for the fidue A83, very happy with my decision, they have more and better bass, so it will suit for music taste.

Thanks for the suggestion. This model looks really interesting I must say! I wasn't aware of this model until know. I have to read some more reviews about them, although I didn't find too many until now.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #15,440 of 16,931
I kinda doubt that not only because I wasn't mighty impressed with the eph-100 but also because you forget that there are higher-end iems withsingle microdrivers like the aurisonic rockets for instance,

True, perhaps I should have added "it's still the best single micro-driver, in that price range".

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #15,441 of 16,931
  Thanks for the suggestion. This model looks really interesting I must say! I wasn't aware of this model until know. I have to read some more reviews about them, although I didn't find too many until now.

You can find Joker's review here http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/fidue-a83/

If that does the trick and you can use amazon USA, they are now $259.95

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #15,442 of 16,931
anyone around here tried using normal ear silence plugs as complys?... comply is pretty expensive for me, as i live pretty far, and i was wondering if i could get better by just buying medicinal ear plugs that are made out of foam.

i am good now that i repaired my ie8. they were just dirty... now... 

i am back on track to buy the best iem in the world... the main contenter is akg k3003, followed by dunu dn2000. the price is as such that i might get dn 2000 before, because they are way cheaper than k3003.
i read about dita truth, jh roxane, ie800 and few others, but still k3003 seems the absolute best i can get.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #15,443 of 16,931
  anyone around here tried using normal ear silence plugs as complys?... comply is pretty expensive for me, as i live pretty far, and i was wondering if i could get better by just buying medicinal ear plugs that are made out of foam.

i am good now that i repaired my ie8. they were just dirty... now... 

i am back on track to buy the best iem in the world... the main contenter is akg k3003, followed by dunu dn2000. the price is as such that i might get dn 2000 before, because they are way cheaper than k3003.
i read about dita truth, jh roxane, ie800 and few others, but still k3003 seems the absolute best i can get.

I would suggest looking into the JH13 in addition to/instead of the K3003.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #15,444 of 16,931
  Hy!
I need a somewhat cheap IEM for when i travel to work. As i keep delaying the purchase of akg k3003, because i keep having other things to buy, i was wondering, what iems under 100$ can provide me with a very good sound. I will be using them 2-3 hourse a day, mostly for travel, in pretty noisy envoirment.

I want : soundstage, more treble, more bass, preferably U shaped signature. i love details, and want something very very detailed.

I cannot fiind any iem, and i cannot buy from outside what i am able to fiind, because the package cannot be delivered, and i must stop my work for one day to go to pick it up from security, in a totally another city.

i am able to purchase : Yamaha EPH-100, Steelseries Flux in ear, AKG k374, hifiman re400, every entry level sennheiser and most entry level audio tehnica, most entry level denons, some jbl models and that would be it. I would spend even 200$ if it is worth it. just, i would loke to not go at 200$ as i would only use these for a limited time, and only when i travel.

if i can be better with, i can also buy under 200$ full headphones if there are better ideeas.

i want to hear recommandations, if possible!

How much is a Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear? It's a V/U-shaped sig with good bass and treble, and a very decent value at $100 (US price).

Now, a massive amount of time later... I have bought my second pair of EPH-100 and started enjoying them all over again. I think it should be crowned best single micro-driver IEM in the world, currently (in your list)!

Glad you like them! Haven't tried the Rockets but in that price range and for bass-heavy sound they're still among my favorites two years later.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #15,445 of 16,931

Get the 3M ,hearos,macks safety earplugs from cvs or amazon or ebay and get the 3-4mm cheap disposable punch biopsy tool.....

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #15,446 of 16,931
So what I'm looking for would be something similar to the NarMoo S1,but with more treble detail. I need these to be fantastic for rock and metal music. Not get overwhelmed easily by "crowded" music. I'm thinking a hybrid IEM would be best. I tried the DN1000 and am still considering keeping them, but they don't sound like enough of an improvement over the NarMoos to warrant the $170 upcharge. Similar sound but cheaper would be great.

I've also tried the HAFXT90. I expected so much out of them but they just sounded weird. Not enough subbass and something in the low highs or upper mids was too forward.

Any suggestions?

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #15,447 of 16,931
So what I'm looking for would be something similar to the NarMoo S1,but with more treble detail. I need these to be fantastic for rock and metal music. Not get overwhelmed easily by "crowded" music. I'm thinking a hybrid IEM would be best. I tried the DN1000 and am still considering keeping them, but they don't sound like enough of an improvement over the NarMoos to warrant the $170 upcharge. Similar sound but cheaper would be great.

I've also tried the HAFXT90. I expected so much out of them but they just sounded weird. Not enough subbass and something in the low highs or upper mids was too forward.

Any suggestions?

Diminishing returns and all that..

The DN-1000 is about the most difference you can get from the S1 with that sound signature so if that didn't sound significant enough, I doubt anything will. You can spend $60 on Brainwavz S1 or $100 on an S5 pr Rock Jaw Alfa Genus and get a smaller upgrade from the NarMoo, if that's more your budget, but they won't perform at the level of the DN-1000. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #15,448 of 16,931
I would suggest looking into the JH13 in addition to/instead of the K3003.

The 1964 Ears V6-Stage would be worth looking into as well. IIRC Joker rates them above the 3003. They also cost considerably less and can be ordered as universals (no need for ear impressions or refit issues).

Another IIRC: the cable on the 3003 is not replaceable, correct?

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #15,449 of 16,931
The cable on my dn-1000 tore apart. I'm gonna get it replaced through warranty and then sell it.

Looking for a replacement. Up to $300ish. Warm or slightly V-shaped, nice bass. Removable cable is a must.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #15,450 of 16,931
Glad you like them! Haven't tried the Rockets but in that price range and for bass-heavy sound they're still among my favorites two years later.

Wow so nice to hear that they are still desired by others. I kinda wish more people pay3d attention to them, as the EPH100 are a pair of very versatile micro drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back