Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 8, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #13,786 of 16,931

Why not just get another GR02 BE? I haven't heard anything that sounds very similar to these but better - they are just bassier than the VSD1 and most of the other sets I recommend often these days, so I don't think there's anything more suitable for you in that price range. The ATH-CKM500 might be worth considering but its deep bass is not as prominent as that of the GR02.

Yes, that's what I'll probably end up doing, but I wanted to do my due diligence before I did that. What about some sets from Brainwavz/DUNU/Astrotec/VSD1S? Are there new VSDs launching soon in this price range? VSD 3/4/7/9, etc

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #13,787 of 16,931
Joker I feel a lot closer to making a decision.. thanks for your time.

Ill refer to your list if I have any more questions.

Just one last thing, I saw your note about the SD-3s but the link you provided to the InEar site only briefly mentions the new "s" version on their website. I can't find any further links to purchase or view pics or anything from the site or any google searches ive done. Would you mind giving me a link to a purchase page? Im definitely missing something..

It seems Ill either get the EarSonics SM64 or the SD-3 (the S version hopefully) maybe the Dunu.

Thanks,

Zenstep

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #13,788 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

How do the TDK BA200 compare with the RHA MA750 and the MEELEC A161?

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #13,789 of 16,931

Yes, that's what I'll probably end up doing, but I wanted to do my due diligence before I did that. What about some sets from Brainwavz/DUNU/Astrotec/VSD1S? Are there new VSDs launching soon in this price range? VSD 3/4/7/9, etc

Like I said, nothing that sounds similar to the GR02 BE but better. The VSD1S is almost identical to the VSD1 in sound and I don't know anything about any new VSD earphones. 

Joker I feel a lot closer to making a decision.. thanks for your time.

Ill refer to your list if I have any more questions.

Just one last thing, I saw your note about the SD-3s but the link you provided to the InEar site only briefly mentions the new "s" version on their website. I can't find any further links to purchase or view pics or anything from the site or any google searches ive done. Would you mind giving me a link to a purchase page? Im definitely missing something..

It seems Ill either get the EarSonics SM64 or the SD-3 (the S version hopefully) maybe the Dunu.

Thanks,

Zenstep

I don't have a link for the S. It's pretty new, you probably just need to contact InEar for purchase info/photos at this point. 

Hi Joker,

How do the TDK BA200 compare with the RHA MA750 and the MEELEC A161?

More similar to the A161 than the MA750. The MA750 sounds very different - warmer, bassier, more v-shaped, and also a little muffled in the midrange in comparison. The A161 is cooler in tone and more analytical, with some grain in the treble and less top-end extension compared to the BA200. The BA200 also has a little more body in the bass region.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #13,790 of 16,931
Posted brief impressions of a couple new universal and custom-fit earphones here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-noble-fr-pr-perfect-seal-sportbud-silver-minerva-mi-performer-pro-mi-artist-pro/

The post includes:

1. Noble FR & PR variable-tuning universals
  2. Perfect Seal SportBud Silver half-shell custom earphones
  3. Minerva Mi-Performer Pro and Mi-Artist Pro custom musicians' monitors

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #13,791 of 16,931
OK, I'm looking for a low/mid-priced IEM (<$60), preferably with remote (volume control and next track). I will mainly use them when I'm out running and working out. Any recommendations? 
I've looked at Steelseries Flux In-ear, Etymotic Research ETY-Kids 5/3 and MEElectronics M6P. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #13,792 of 16,931
Hi, Joker (and anyone else who think they could help). I'm stuck in a three-way tie to replace my dead Ety HF5s:

1. 1964EARS V3
2. Alclair Reference
3. Custom Art Music Ones

How I narrowed it down to these three:

Regarding the HF5s, I loved their super-detailed and clear sound, as well as the amazing isolation. I disliked the weak bass in hip-hop/pop, microphonics in quiet settings, modest ear discomfort after long sessions, the occasional sibilance cropping up, as well as the "meh" soundstage (good left/right, but nothing really else).

I listen to many different kinds of music: rock, pop, folk, piano, vocal, some hip-hop, and a touch of spoken word, so balanced IEMs seem like the best option. I listen for hours on end, so comfort is important; I also like to run with music, so microphonics are also important. My budget is $500 maximum because I listen on a Samsung Galaxy S4/laptop/desktop PC and am already in the diminishing returns price range.

Taking these into consideration, I thought I should get the best entry-level custom IEM. These are the 3 highest sound-scoring custom IEMs under $500.

My current dilemma:

The Alclair Reference seems to be the best option, except that they may accentuate sibilance. I abhor sibilance and the HF5's sibilance sometimes got to me. The Music One and V3 seemed to be similarly technically talented (9.2/9.4 sound score, compared to the 9.4 of the Reference) that didn't have sibilance. I liked the V3 because you noted it was more "musical" than the Reference. I love music that excites me and gets me tapping my feet. But, I don't like muddy bass (about as much as I hate sibilance) which you mention about the V3s in comparison to the Reference: even though the HF5s lacked bass impact, I appreciated the bass' cleanliness.

So, then, I thought, OK, maybe the middle ground is the Custom One's: no sibilance and no muddy bass. But, it seems to be a little less technically talented than either the V3 and the Reference and I'm a bit hesitant about shipping costs to Poland for warranty and/or refit issues.

Where I need help: is the sibilance of the Reference worse than the V3's muddier bass? I realize I'm exaggerating their flaws here; these are two pretty great IEMs. I just want to make sure I spend my money in the best place.

The Custom Art Music Two's seem like the answer, sans shipping costs, but I realize you haven't listened to them and its reviews are scarce, particularly by those with custom IEM experience. :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #13,794 of 16,931
  OK, I'm looking for a low/mid-priced IEM (<$60), preferably with remote (volume control and next track). I will mainly use them when I'm out running and working out. Any recommendations? 
I've looked at Steelseries Flux In-ear, Etymotic Research ETY-Kids 5/3 and MEElectronics M6P. 

If you're using an Apple product, volume controls are easy enough (pretty much any 3-button remote will do) but if you're using Android, that really narrows down your options a lot. For working out I probably won't recommend the Flux or EtyKids - the former just not secure enough in the ear and the latter perhaps not comfortable enough with that deep seal.

The M6P is a definitely good option. If you must have more accurate sound than the bassy M6P, I think you can find the A151P in your price range as well. It's only got a 1-button remote and isn't as bright as the Etykids but it's got a much more neutral sound than the M6P and the form factor is more suitable for active use. Not sure how the BA drivers will stand up to sweat so maybe not the best option if you expect it to last more than a year, though. 

Hi, Joker (and anyone else who think they could help). I'm stuck in a three-way tie to replace my dead Ety HF5s:

1. 1964EARS V3
2. Alclair Reference
3. Custom Art Music Ones

How I narrowed it down to these three:

Regarding the HF5s, I loved their super-detailed and clear sound, as well as the amazing isolation. I disliked the weak bass in hip-hop/pop, microphonics in quiet settings, modest ear discomfort after long sessions, the occasional sibilance cropping up, as well as the "meh" soundstage (good left/right, but nothing really else).

I listen to many different kinds of music: rock, pop, folk, piano, vocal, some hip-hop, and a touch of spoken word, so balanced IEMs seem like the best option. I listen for hours on end, so comfort is important; I also like to run with music, so microphonics are also important. My budget is $500 maximum because I listen on a Samsung Galaxy S4/laptop/desktop PC and am already in the diminishing returns price range.

Taking these into consideration, I thought I should get the best entry-level custom IEM. These are the 3 highest sound-scoring custom IEMs under $500.

My current dilemma:

The Alclair Reference seems to be the best option, except that they may accentuate sibilance. I abhor sibilance and the HF5's sibilance sometimes got to me. The Music One and V3 seemed to be similarly technically talented (9.2/9.4 sound score, compared to the 9.4 of the Reference) that didn't have sibilance. I liked the V3 because you noted it was more "musical" than the Reference. I love music that excites me and gets me tapping my feet. But, I don't like muddy bass (about as much as I hate sibilance) which you mention about the V3s in comparison to the Reference: even though the HF5s lacked bass impact, I appreciated the bass' cleanliness.

So, then, I thought, OK, maybe the middle ground is the Custom One's: no sibilance and no muddy bass. But, it seems to be a little less technically talented than either the V3 and the Reference and I'm a bit hesitant about shipping costs to Poland for warranty and/or refit issues.

Where I need help: is the sibilance of the Reference worse than the V3's muddier bass? I realize I'm exaggerating their flaws here; these are two pretty great IEMs. I just want to make sure I spend my money in the best place.

The Custom Art Music Two's seem like the answer, sans shipping costs, but I realize you haven't listened to them and its reviews are scarce, particularly by those with custom IEM experience. :frowning2:

Yes, the Reference is probably not the best option due to being more revealing of sibilance than the HF5, and the V3 is much, much bassier than the HF5. The Custom One is a "safer" choice in terms of sound signature but it doesn't have a whole lot more bass than the Etys so it might not be a drastic enough upgrade for you in that area. Obviously it does fix the other issues you have - comfort, cable noise, etc. 

One more option you might want to consider is the Perfect Seal SportBud Silver, which I just covered here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-noble-fr-pr-perfect-seal-sportbud-silver-minerva-mi-performer-pro-mi-artist-pro/ . It comes from a US-based company and is about on-par with the Custom Art Music One in technical ability. In fact, it more strongly reminds me of the StageDiver SD-2, which if I'm not mistaken uses the same driver. Compared to the Music One you gain a little bass quantity (a good think with your requirements) and lose a little treble quality (not a good thing, but the difference is not night and day).

Wow ! I'm new here and it's an awesome comparison ! Thanks for this !

beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #13,795 of 16,931
I've given a lot of recommendations in the past but I feel really stuck in choosing something that's right for me. I'm looking for a neutral, analytical IEM with a lot of sound stage and, if it has to veer from being totally flat, a slight boost in the treble region. I'm looking to spend $200-300. I don't mind dynamic or BA drivers, but in the past I've found BAs the most enjoyable.

The two best IEMs I've listened to are the Etymotic ER4S and the Brainwavz B2, for reference. I'm trying to get a step up from them to go with my ODAC+O2 combo.

Thanks joker/everyone else!

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #13,798 of 16,931
  I've given a lot of recommendations in the past but I feel really stuck in choosing something that's right for me. I'm looking for a neutral, analytical IEM with a lot of sound stage and, if it has to veer from being totally flat, a slight boost in the treble region. I'm looking to spend $200-300. I don't mind dynamic or BA drivers, but in the past I've found BAs the most enjoyable.

The two best IEMs I've listened to are the Etymotic ER4S and the Brainwavz B2, for reference. I'm trying to get a step up from them to go with my ODAC+O2 combo.

Thanks joker/everyone else!

go ciem . sadly i have never tried anything better then er-4p , and then i havent tried many top end phones .

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #13,800 of 16,931
Hi all, would like recommendations. i have a budget of around $100 USD, but it can go a little higher if it's truly worth it.

i had the klipsch s4's for the past 3 years but recently lost them. while i was satisfied with them i realize there are better options.

the genres i listen to most would probably be rap and rock, such as flipsyde, brother ali, common market, adelitas way.. but also artists like stevie wonder, gnarls barkley, etc. so i would really like a good all-around IEM.

i'm looking for something comfortable (i listen up to 5 hours of music a day, usually half through my IEMS) with good sound isolation, preferably passive. obviously good sound quality is a must, as is durability, my s4's lasted 3 years and still aren't broken, just lost, i'm not sure how uncommon this is for higher quality IEMs but i would definitely want a pair to last at least a year if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back