Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #13,696 of 16,931
So I have a question, hope it's not off topic.

I have a set of Vsonic GR07 that I really really love, the review in this thread sealed the deal on those and I am really grateful for that.

I am currently looking for a pair of over-ear headphones to complement the IEMs and give my poor ear canals the occasional break.

I would describe the GR07 as very articulate throughout the frequency range. In particular I love how it reproduce and allow transients to really come through, aggressively so. They don't feel compressed or held back.

Does anyone know of an over-ear headphone with a similar sound to the GR07s? Very dynamically articulate that can aggressively spit transients at you to the very top of the range, and a bit dry/fast, with a balanced overall FR (ie, not constantly bright-sounding, just able to reproduce bright drum peaks and such when called for? Preferably I would not want something that smooths the surface down and limits micro-articulation.

Any tips from anyone would be very appreciated, hopefully others loving the GR07 might benefit from some similarly oriented full-sized cans aswell.

I listened to the GR07 many times, and I love the sound it produces. To me it sounds like a dynamic version of BA200 but with a slightly hotter treble and less forward mids. Balanced sounding with a bit of warmth and slightly hot (though mostly smooth) treble is the best way I can describe the GR07. I think a Sennheiser HD598 or HD600 should fit the bill pretty well

May 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #13,697 of 16,931
Thanks for the reply!

I've been looking at the HD600s and the Beyer DT880 since they seem quite ubiquitous. The HD600s really appeal to me with their detachable/replacable cables (along with seemingly every other component).

May 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #13,698 of 16,931
  Would you recommend the JVC FXT90 for rock/metal? What other IEMs would you recommend under $100?

I personally liked the FXT90 with my rock/metal library. There are lots of other options as well depending on what type of sound you like - the HiFiMan RE-400 for a more balanced/mid-centric sound, for example, or the VSonic VSD1S for something with punchy bass (but a bit less quantity than FXT90) and bright treble. 

So I have a question, hope it's not off topic.

I have a set of Vsonic GR07 that I really really love, the review in this thread sealed the deal on those and I am really grateful for that.

I am currently looking for a pair of over-ear headphones to complement the IEMs and give my poor ear canals the occasional break.

I would describe the GR07 as very articulate throughout the frequency range. In particular I love how it reproduce and allow transients to really come through, aggressively so. They don't feel compressed or held back.

Does anyone know of an over-ear headphone with a similar sound to the GR07s? Very dynamically articulate that can aggressively spit transients at you to the very top of the range, and a bit dry/fast, with a balanced overall FR (ie, not constantly bright-sounding, just able to reproduce bright drum peaks and such when called for? Preferably I would not want something that smooths the surface down and limits micro-articulation.

Any tips from anyone would be very appreciated, hopefully others loving the GR07 might benefit from some similarly oriented full-sized cans aswell.

I have limited experience with full-size cans but out of what I've heard the DT880/600 would seem to be the closest. I love the HD600 but it doesn't quite have that crisp and strong presence in the upper half of the frequency range that's at the core of the GR07's sound. 

joker , what can be an upgrade to this hisound crystal .

Lots of things, depending on what's important to you - GR07 for bass quality and overall clarity, though it is brighter than the Crystal and the mids are a bit less forward. The TDK BA200 for smoothness and similar overall balance, though it gives up just a bit of bass impact to the Crystal. The Dunu DN-1000 or DN-2000 for more or both bass qty. and overall clarity. And so on. 

May 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #13,699 of 16,931

may be re-400 if fitting is a problem for you , boy is that phone ? it is indeed . but i liked hf5 too , yes low on bass , but details are going no where .

The HF5 could be boring? I'm afraid that wouldn't be so engaging like the Shure SE215, or I'm wrong?

May 26, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #13,700 of 16,931
  The HF5 could be boring? I'm afraid that wouldn't be so engaging like the Shure SE215, or I'm wrong?

it can be boring if bass thrills you , i think you said you want balance , and balanced ( pure balance , flat sq ) phones are low on bass hence can be boring . if you are after bass , rha-ma750 or eph-100 will do good . as you are not going over the price range , these are your options . re-400 too is low on bass , wont do bass like se215 . if you enjoy bass , go for ma750 or eph-100 .

May 26, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #13,701 of 16,931
(Finally) added the TDK BA200!

(2A32) TDK BA200

Reviewed April 2014

Details: TDK’s recently-discontinued dual-armature flagship
MSRP: $299.95 (manufacturer’s page
Current Price: $190 from amazon.com; $203 from ebay.com
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 35Ω | Sens: 99 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9′ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 2.5mm | Preferred tips: Westone STAR tips, Stock bi-flanges, EarSonics bi-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Bi-flange silicone tips (2 sizes), foam tips (2 sizes), replacement filters, shirt clip, and soft carrying pouch (note: exact accessories seem to differ between versions)
Build Quality (4/5) – The BA200 is made mostly of plastic, but the construction is pretty solid. The nozzle screens are replaceable and spares are included – a rarity these days. The flat cable is soft and inoffensive but the massive y-split, which houses an impedance stabilizer, has a tendency to get caught on things
Isolation (4/5) – Good thanks to the ergonomic housings and long nozzles
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Very low in the flat cable
Comfort (5/5) – The ergonomically-shaped housings of the BA200 are very comfortable, thanks in part to the light weight of the earphones, though those with very small outer ears may have trouble fitting them properly. Despite the manufacturer’s claims, however, the BA200 is not well-suited for cable-down wear

Sound (9.1/10) – I’ve long wanted to try TDK’s dual-BA flagship earphone but the opportunity has always gotten away from me, until now. Big thanks to fellow Head-Fier ericr for finally making it happen, even if the BA200 model is on its way out as far as TDK is concerned.

On the whole, the sound of the BA200 is as comfortable as the fit. It’s a punchy earphone with good clarity and a tonal character on the warm side of neutral. The bass is slightly enhanced – for a balanced armature set it’s quite impactful, though it won’t win any awards from proper bassheads. In terms of bass quantity the BA200 is just a touch short of the VSonic GR07 and StageDiver SD-2, and significantly short of the Westone W40.

Despite its slight bass enhancement, the BA200 has excellent midrange clarity – about on-par with the GR07, though it is also more forward in the midrange than the VSonic unit. All in all, the mids are similar to those of the $450 StageDiver SD-2 and clearer compared to the Westone W40, likely due to the BA200’s flatter response through the upper midrange. The BA200 also has pretty good note thickness – it may miss out on some of the crispness of a TWFK-based set as a result, but for a BA earphone the note weight is very impressive.

The upper midrange and lower treble of the BA200 are very smooth, but despite this the earphones still sound crisp and resolving, likely due to a mid-upper treble lift. The BA200 is on the whole less bright than the VSonic GR07 and a little more tolerant of sibilant vocals, partly by virtue of its treble emphasis being higher up, but there are still some tracks on which it exaggerates sibilance. It is brighter than the Westone W40, for instance, and a little more sibilance-prone. The StageDiver SD-2 is also less revealing of sibilance than the BA200, and, though it also a dual-driver earphone, seems to have better extension and slightly more energy at the top than the TDKs.

The BA200 is a little less spacious than the SD-2, with a less out-of-the-head presentation, but otherwise the less expensive TDK unit more than holds its own. Imaging is good and the soundstage has enough depth to prevent the earphone from sounding intimate despite its warm tone and prominent mids.

Select Comparisons

HiFiMan RE-400 ($99)

In many ways the BA200 and RE-400 are similar – both are balanced earphones with a tonal character a touch warmer than neutral. The BA-200 is less mid-centric and a little warmer due to a marginally greater amount of bass boost. The RE-400 boasts more focus on the midrange. Up top, the RE-400 remains extremely smooth while the BA200 has a treble peak that makes it more revealing of sibilance, which the HiFiMan earphone tends to downplay. This makes the BA200 appear more crisp and also contributes to it sounding less mid-centric than the RE-400. The BA200 is also a touch more spacious.

VSonic VC1000 ($125)

The VC1000 and BA200 both utilize dual balanced armature driver configurations, albeit with different drivers. The Sonion AcuPass drivers in the BA200 endow it with a more impactful sound and warmer tonal character. The Knowles TWFK drivers in the VC1000, on the other hand, provide less impactful but tighter bass, making the BA200 sound a bit boomy in comparison. The midrange of the VC1000 is clearer, but also thinner. The VSonic unit has more upper midrange presence overall, though not by much, whereas the BA200 dips down a bit akin to the RE-400. I personally prefer the balance and clarity of the VC1000, but the thicker note presentation of the BA200.

The VSonic set is brighter overall but emphasizes sibilance less than the BA200. However, like all TWFKs, its treble has a slightly metallic/shimmery character which the BA200, despite its treble peak, lacks. The presentation of the VC1000 seems just a touch more airy and uncongested thanks to its tighter bass and brighter sound.

Sony MDR-7550 ($230)

The smooth, clear, and warm-sounding MDR-7550 makes for a logical competitor to the BA200. Indeed the earphones sound very similar despite the Sonys using a large dynamic driver to the TDKs’ dual armature setup. Surprisingly, the BA200 is a little more emphasized at the bottom end while the MDR-7550 is slightly clearer through the midrange. The MDR-7550 is also smoother in the treble region, with no sibilance-inducing peaks, and has a wider, airier presentation. The BA200, with its extra touch of bass emphasis, sounds a bit congested in comparison.

Value (9/10) – With sound that is reminiscent of well-regarded high-end earphones from the likes of HiFiMan and Shure, an ergonomic form factor, and good noise isolation, the TDK BA200 is a solid all-rounder with plenty of mass appeal. TDK has done an excellent job with these earphones, and while prices have been going up steadily since the BA200 was discontinued, those who run across one at a good price should grab it before they’re all gone.

Pros: Excellent all-round sound quality; great ergonomics
Cons: N/A

Huge thanks to ericr for sending over the BA200 for review!

The overall ranking has been updated here.

May 26, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #13,703 of 16,931
Joker, I'm waiting for your Audio Technica IM50 review. Just do it 
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #13,705 of 16,931
Wow finally the review for the BA200 is out
So glad I made the purchase, it sounds superb to me

I listened to the GR07 a lot as well and I feel that it is like the dynamic version of the BA200, which I like

May 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #13,706 of 16,931
Nice BA200 review! Been keeping an eye on TDK as new stuff should be coming as most everything has been discontinued. Hoping for a triple driver or triple hybrid from them. 

May 27, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #13,709 of 16,931
  It really depends on what type of improvement you're after. The W40 and CT-200 have some advantages over the BA200 but they also make some concessions. Foe example, the BA200 has more accurate and extended bass than both of those. Diminishing returns are in play here - the difference between the AM-800 and BA200 is indeed larger.

ljokerl: Actually, I got the Astrotec AM-800s for my daughter's bf based off your review and the fact he only had $50 TOPS to spend, he was VERY pleased too! I got to hear them a lot and when the TDK BA-200s went on sale for the aforementioned $120 I snapped them up. That why I was able to reference them as to how large the difference is.

As we all know, you especially, given ALL the IEMs etc. you have listened to, I have a question that will be your opinion, but many here value that opinion QUITE highly besides myself.
I am an all around listener, from listening to TV shows, Classical, Progressive Rock, to even J-Pop because of all the anime I watch. I love CLEAR mids with solid bass that does NOT overwhelm me, I like it tight vs being a basshead. I like my musical instruments clear with being able to picture the sound stage. If you have ever heard Annie Haslam of Renaissance sing you know what kind of female singer I like to listen too.
So for the 1 Million $$$ question, I am starting my savings fund for my next set of IEMS, what would be the lowest price of admission be for an IEM that does NOT make a compromise in the sound to be better than what I own. That will give me better bass, mids, highs, & a better sound stage etc. It does NOT have to be best, JUST better than what I have, with NO concessions as you put it.

Yes, I know I can spend 1K+ on Custom IEMs etc. or even non custom ones, but I would rather not and to be honest, probably will never be able too! Is there anything say in the $500-$600 range? OR a little less or more?
I know its a hard thing for you to answer as you can not really get into my head etc. BUT you have listened to so many IEMs, both universal AND custom that I totally trust you to be able to tell it to me like it is! I have bought my 2 sets of IEMs based what you have written and the price I was able to get them for and been totally happy. This will be a big deal for me given my up coming bills and life issues but save I shall and if takes me longer to get what I want, it's a goal to work for. I am hoping others will be interested too! I can't be the only one like this! :) It's just so hard to pick and choose and there is no way for me to listen to them all so I am going to bet on you! No pressure here since I am fully aware its just your opinion, I just trust it implicitly! AND IF it has to be custom IEMS to get me there, from what I have read, I think the silicone ones are more comfortable, does that ring true?

Thanks again for all your help, it has already saved me a LOT of grief with my choices! 

May 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #13,710 of 16,931
Hello at the moment, can you suggest best in ear below 70$ with very good bass to listen to commercial music?
I have to replace my sennheiser cx 300, and if it's possible I would like to find it on amazon eu.

Than you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back