Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 15, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #13,622 of 16,931
  Hello, this is my first post here in head-fi. I would just like to ask what in-ear  monitors would be a good upgrade from an ultimate ears 600? My budget is $100-150. I'm actually eyeing on shure se215, westone um 1 and sennheiser cx 985. I listen to a wide variety of music. I use samsung galaxy note 3 as a music player. Thank you! :)

The UE 600 is a very formidable budget earphone. I'd listen to it over the SE215 or CX985 any day. If you want an upgrade from it and you like the balanced, accurate sound, the HiFiMan RE-400 is a good bet towards the lower end of that price range. The VSonic VC1000 would be a good one as well if you're okay with a slightly brighter - but very clear and resolving - sound.

JVC FX850 soon?

No plans at this time.

Hi joker,

So I went ahead and purchased the RE-400 and am finding that I like them so far. Their particular take on the neutral character is attractive.  Thanks much for the recommendation. 

That being said, I have two concerns that are making me think about the possibility of getting a second pair of IEMs to supplement the RE-400: 1.) The RE-400 have held up so far, but the build quality concerns are well-documented, and 2.) When I'm exercising at the gym (and even sometimes for regular listening when I'm in the mood), I like to have a slightly warmer sound.  But I would want something that also maintains excellent clarity through the midrange while adding some warmth.  As a counterpoint for comparison, the Vsonic GR-99 are too warm to the detriment of clarity in the midrange to my ears.

With that in mind, I'm thinking maybe the Fidue A63 would be a nice supplement to the RE-400's for those occasions. That way I also get to run the RE-400's less hard, which hopefully will decrease the chances of build quality issues manifesting themselves.  I wouldn't want to spend more than $75 on the second pair given that I won't be using them as often, and the Fidue's are located in that price range.  Do you think the A63's are a good choice for this purpose?   

I think you will still miss some clarity with the A63 if you're used to the RE-400 now. It's certainly an improvement over the GR99 in that regard, but it's more like halfway between the GR99 and RE-400. Still very good for $60-something, though. 

By the way, I always am wary of recommending non-sports earphones for gym use because it is unclear how sweat-resistant they might be. If you don't sweat much obviously that's not a problem.

Do you own the 750? Or do you know if I can wear the 750 regularly instead of the cable going over ear?

Yes, I have them and no, you can't wear them cable-down.

May 15, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #13,623 of 16,931

The UE 600 is a very formidable budget earphone. I'd listen to it over the SE215 or CX985 any day. If you want an upgrade from it and you like the balanced, accurate sound, the HiFiMan RE-400 is a good bet towards the lower end of that price range. The VSonic VC1000 would be a good one as well if you're okay with a slightly brighter - but very clear and resolving - sound.

Thanks for the suggestion. One more question, how about the Audio technica IM50 or IM70? Do you think it will be a great upgrade? I've read that its sound quality is almost the same as the ath m50. Thank you again :)

May 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #13,624 of 16,931
  I think you will still miss some clarity with the A63 if you're used to the RE-400 now. It's certainly an improvement over the GR99 in that regard, but it's more like halfway between the GR99 and RE-400. Still very good for $60-something, though. 

By the way, I always am wary of recommending non-sports earphones for gym use because it is unclear how sweat-resistant they might be. If you don't sweat much obviously that's not a problem.

Yes, I really like the clarity of the RE-400.  It's becoming increasingly apparent that the increased midrange clarity is what I was missing from all of the other IEMs that I've tried.  Well, I guess my Brainwavz M2 and ProAlpha had midrange clarity, but they also were more strident/peaky than the RE-400 and with a much more congested soundstage (i.e., less separation).

If I will miss some clarity with the Fidue A63, do you think there is something that comes closer to the RE-400's midrange clarity that also contains the added warmth of the A63 for $75 or less?  I understand that I'm not going to get the same amount of clarity as the RE-400's, but I'm wondering if there is something a bit closer to the RE-400 than the A63.  Using your spectrum, if the A63 is like halfway between the GR99 and the RE400 in terms of midrange clarity, is there something that is between the A63 and the RE400?  Someone suggested the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore to me, but I don't think you've heard that one yet (from reading back through this thread).

The sweating thing has never been an issue for me, so no worries on that front.  I've been using non-sport IEMs at the gym for years and have never had a problem.  Of course, now that I said that, I will probably develop a problem! 
smile.gif
  Seriously, though, I think it's smart to not use the RE-400 at the gym given the durability issues.

May 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #13,625 of 16,931
Yes, I really like the clarity of the RE-400.  It's becoming increasingly apparent that the increased midrange clarity is what I was missing from all of the other IEMs that I've tried.  Well, I guess my Brainwavz M2 and ProAlpha had midrange clarity, but they also were more strident/peaky than the RE-400 and with a much more congested soundstage (i.e., less separation).

If I will miss some clarity with the Fidue A63, do you think there is something that comes closer to the RE-400's midrange clarity that also contains the added warmth of the A63 for $75 or less?  I understand that I'm not going to get the same amount of clarity as the RE-400's, but I'm wondering if there is something a bit closer to the RE-400 than the A63.  Using your spectrum, if the A63 is like halfway between the GR99 and the RE400 in terms of midrange clarity, is there something that is between the A63 and the RE400?  Someone suggested the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore to me, but I don't think you've heard that one yet (from reading back through this thread).

The sweating thing has never been an issue for me, so no worries on that front.  I've been using non-sport IEMs at the gym for years and have never had a problem.  Of course, now that I said that, I will probably develop a problem!  :smile:   Seriously, though, I think it's smart to not use the RE-400 at the gym given the durability issues.

Check out Ostry KC06. I'm sure someone in the KC06 thread can compare them to the RE-400 if you ask there.

May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #13,626 of 16,931
To all those who own or have experience with the UE600/700 IEM's,
What's so bad about the UE600/700 cable? I've heard some not-so-great comments about the longetivity of it. Any thoughts? Experience with it? I haven't had it for long, but it seems durable enough if I am cautious.

Also, any general maintenance tips for the cables of headphones or IEM's? I find that many of my headphone cables short out so I have to replace the cables and it's annoying because of how often it happens.

The nozzles of IEM's worry me as well. How can I maintained how much damage does earwax or debris in the nozzle cause? I always get scared when I see things in the nozzle and I don't want my earbuds to get damaged.

Thank you,
-Seb

May 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #13,628 of 16,931
  Thanks for the suggestion. One more question, how about the Audio technica IM50 or IM70? Do you think it will be a great upgrade? I've read that its sound quality is almost the same as the ath m50. Thank you again :)

I don't know about IM70 but I do have IM50 which is more fuller sounding than UE600s that I also have. IM50 have more body to the vocals and sounds more natural, the mids have more weight, and the bass has considerably more slam and hits harder. IM50 is slightly more mid-centric than UE600.

I haven't listened to M50 so I can't say anything about it but I prefer IM50 over UE600 any day.

May 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #13,629 of 16,931

The sweating thing has never been an issue for me, so no worries on that front.  I've been using non-sport IEMs at the gym for years and have never had a problem.  Of course, now that I said that, I will probably develop a problem! 
smile.gif
  Seriously, though, I think it's smart to not use the RE-400 at the gym given the durability issues.

I actually just ordered these the other day and they should arrive sometime next week, so I'll be writing up a little comparison at some point.  People kept suggesting them in various threads so I had to see for myself 
tongue.gif

May 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #13,630 of 16,931
  I actually just ordered these the other day and they should arrive sometime next week, so I'll be writing up a little comparison at some point.  People kept suggesting them in various threads so I had to see for myself 
tongue.gif

Cool!  I look forward to your review and comparison!  Which will you be comparing them to: the RE-400 or the A63?

May 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #13,631 of 16,931
  Yeah, I had looked into those.  But they appear from the reviews to have even less warmth than the RE-400.  They appear to be forward in the upper mids/lower highs, which I don't want.

I have the Ostry KC06 on the way.  I expect them to be warmer than RE-400.

May 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #13,632 of 16,931
To all those who own or have experience with the UE600/700 IEM's,
What's so bad about the UE600/700 cable? I've heard some not-so-great comments about the longetivity of it. Any thoughts? Experience with it? I haven't had it for long, but it seems durable enough if I am cautious.

Also, any general maintenance tips for the cables of headphones or IEM's? I find that many of my headphone cables short out so I have to replace the cables and it's annoying because of how often it happens.

The nozzles of IEM's worry me as well. How can I maintained how much damage does earwax or debris in the nozzle cause? I always get scared when I see things in the nozzle and I don't want my earbuds to get damaged.

Thank you,
-Seb

as they lack stress relievers , just dont stress at the joining points , dont stress the cable and it will be fine . they are okay , but not the best , the best cable till date i have seen is on xba-h1 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back