Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 9, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #13,576 of 16,931

It is not leaner than the SHE3580 but it doesn’t have the lush fullness of the SM3, either. The SM3 has emphasis on the lower mids and lack of presence in the upper mids, which gives it that sound. The JH13 does not suffer from a lower midrange bias.

I haven’t had a chance to try the Roxanne yet.

Is there chance to you try the JH Roxanne? I'm enquiring you because I can wait for your review.

P.S.: Is JH13 Pro Freqphase Slightly v-shaped like Philips SHE3580?

Thanks, Joker!

May 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #13,578 of 16,931
Your recommendation between Westone 4R and Westone UM Pro 30, please. Thanks!

May 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #13,579 of 16,931
  Joker.. <3 thank you 
the UE600's are 
eek.gif
 <-- that good
I am loving them so far and will continue to. 
Also, idk why, but the cable on my right ear won't stay over. This always happens with IEM's and it's kinda frustrating when I'm trying to sleep. Any ideas as the the cause? Probably my ear shape.

Sidenote: Are high volumes bad for the BA drivers? I want these to last a while so I am trying to baby them.

-Seb

Agree.. I'm having a hard time finding a full sized can or any other IEM that I've tried that comes close to the UE600's mids/comfort. If it had better extension on the low and high ends.. it would probably be the perfect IEM for me. Vocals are so smooth.. just.. can't get away from how good they are. 

May 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #13,581 of 16,931
Looking for UIEMs in the $500USD range. I use an iBasso DX90 for travel at this point.

I just returned the Earsonics SM64, really enjoyed these, just no treble sparkle. only other thing was just a tad tighter bass, but still can't complain.

at home i use vintage Grado RS1 that i really enjoy. World music, Classical, Jazz, Folk, etc.

a friend loaned me his Westone 4r for a night, and they are closer the the sig I am looking for, just not the magic of the SM64.

I am looking at the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB at the moment, honestly would rather get something that is more available here in USA if possible. for warranty repair would have to mail to Germany?

Thanks for any ideas.

May 10, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #13,583 of 16,931

are you sure ? they use different driver , ckx5 is 8mm , ckx9 is 13 mm , still thanks .

I was only talking about the sound profile - the larger drivers result in bassier sound.

Is there chance to you try the JH Roxanne? I'm enquiring you because I can wait for your review.

P.S.: Is JH13 Pro Freqphase Slightly v-shaped like Philips SHE3580?

Thanks, Joker!

I might get to try the universal version at some point after the next batch ships, but nothing definite.

And yes, I would agree that the JH13 is slightly v-shaped but its midrange is not at all recessed-sounding.

Your recommendation between Westone 4R and Westone UM Pro 30, please. Thanks!

I personally preferred the W4 - its leaner and a little brighter, which makes it more balanced-sounding as a result despite it having perhaps a bit more bass emphasis.

Looking for UIEMs in the $500USD range. I use an iBasso DX90 for travel at this point.

I just returned the Earsonics SM64, really enjoyed these, just no treble sparkle. only other thing was just a tad tighter bass, but still can't complain.

at home i use vintage Grado RS1 that i really enjoy. World music, Classical, Jazz, Folk, etc.

a friend loaned me his Westone 4r for a night, and they are closer the the sig I am looking for, just not the magic of the SM64.

I am looking at the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB at the moment, honestly would rather get something that is more available here in USA if possible. for warranty repair would have to mail to Germany?

Thanks for any ideas.

What did you find lacking with the W4R compared to the SM64? 

Not familiar with the Fischer Amps.

http://www.meritline.com/meelectronics-a151p-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphone---p-125011.aspx

Meritline selling Meelectronics A151p for $35 using code MLCKX08ZNL1
Must log in to apply code

That's... impressively cheap for a BA earphone with a mic/remote. Beats the Astrotec and Rock-It Sounds models.

May 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #13,585 of 16,931
  The SM64 was more musical to me, only the lack of sparkle stood in the way.

Your best bet would probably have been to tweak the SM64 via EQ. I haven't tried anything that mimics the SM64 through the bass and mids but just has more sparkle. 

May 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #13,586 of 16,931
  The SM64 was more musical to me, only the lack of sparkle stood in the way.

If you can reach up in price a bit more it might be worth considering a universal build of the V6-Stage.  I owned both the SM64 and W4 for over a year and almost always listened to the SM64 for the stronger bass and lack of veil in the mids.  Since my V6-Stage universals arrived a couple of months ago I've sold the W4 and used the SM64 maybe 2 or 3 times.  Compared to the SM64, the V6-Stage bass has a bit less emphasis but extends lower while also being tighter and better controlled. The mids are a bit more forward with excellent tonal accuracy (the piano sounds spot on), along with highs having greater extension and plenty of sparkle.  Like the SM64 the V6-Stage gives a cohesive and coherent presentation across the frequency spectrum for a very natural and realistic sound.  The level of detail presented by the V6-Stage is very noticeably ahead of the SM64 (or W4).  Joker rates the V6-Stage quite high and they regularly wow me!

Last year 1964 Ears had a Memorial weekend sale that included the V6 (the Stage had not yet been released), so there may be a good opportunity in a few weeks to save some money on a fantastic set of headphones.

May 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #13,587 of 16,931

If you can reach up in price a bit more it might be worth considering a universal build of the V6-Stage.  I owned both the SM64 and W4 for over a year and almost always listened to the SM64 for the stronger bass and lack of veil in the mids.  Since my V6-Stage universals arrived a couple of months ago I've sold the W4 and used the SM64 maybe 2 or 3 times.  Compared to the SM64, the V6-Stage bass has a bit less emphasis but extends lower while also being tighter and better controlled. The mids are a bit more forward with excellent tonal accuracy (the piano sounds spot on), along with highs having greater extension and plenty of sparkle.  Like the SM64 the V6-Stage gives a cohesive and coherent presentation across the frequency spectrum for a very natural and realistic sound.  The level of detail presented by the V6-Stage is very noticeably ahead of the SM64 (or W4).  Joker rates the V6-Stage quite high and they regularly wow me!

Last year 1964 Ears had a Memorial weekend sale that included the V6 (the Stage had not yet been released), so there may be a good opportunity in a few weeks to save some money on a fantastic set of headphones.

Sounds perfect. I didn't know they could be universal, I figured custom only. I wonder if the universals would be 4-5 weeks? I have a trip late June. Thanks again

May 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #13,588 of 16,931

1964 ears have universals too ?

May 11, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #13,589 of 16,931
Yeah, I had no clue they would make them as universals until someone posted pictures of theirs in the 1964 Ears V6 thread.  When you place your order just put the word "Universal" in the comment section.

My order went in the queue along with all of the others and took a bit over a month to get.  They offer a rush fee to move to the front of the line if time is more important than money (it's about a week from what I've read).

They do sound great and getting to design how they look is pretty cool too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back