Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #13,427 of 16,931
How well do IEMs, particularly high end CIEMs scale with full size DACs/Amps? Would it be dramatically different than a conventional phone output?

Yes, i listen my ortofon q5 with audioquest dragonfly v 1.2 and the sound is much more clear, with big soundstage and better instrument separation, with full size dac/amp combo the differences will be bigger i guess.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #13,428 of 16,931
Yes, i listen my ortofon q5 with audioquest dragonfly v 1.2 and the sound is much more clear, with big soundstage and better instrument separation, with full size dac/amp combo the differences will be bigger i guess.

Not so sure about the latter part. I have read people saying full size DACs can actually make the sound worse as they are not tailored to such low impedance speakers. Any noise floor in the system is easily distinguishable as BA drivers are sensitive, perhaps not so much with dynamic drivers however. Also I would be concerned about blowing the drivers if too much current was passed through them.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #13,431 of 16,931
I bought the Flux and have been listening to them for a while, I like them more than MH1, Flux seems more balanced, mids and treble are more present but not disturbing. I've been reading a lot about iem and sound signatures, of all the IEMs I owned, I really loved the Brainwavz M1, the Vsonic GR04 Flagship (apart from sibilance), the Sony MH1 and now the Flux. I also listened to Shure SE215 but for 5min, really smooth except for not that present treble, good soundstage. I like the full bodied sound, smooth, without anythig in particular to disturb your ears (harsh treble, sibilance, too much bass, too much mids, to much lower treble etc.).  
I guess that puts me somewhere between warm and smooth and balanced? Now I'm even considering an upgrade to the Flux.

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't tried the GR04 but I'm a big fan of the M1, MH1, and Flux. I don't consider the SE215 an upgrade over the Flux or MH1, personally.  It sounds like you enjoy a *slightly* warm signature.

Hi there, I've been listening to both MH1C and Flux, while I like the Flux for the better but not disturbing treble presence, when I plug in the MH1 I find it more spacious, I know that mode recessed mids/highs gives you the impression of more space but it's not just that, they sound more like headphones while the flux have tiny, localized sound when comparing. I looked at RHA-MA750 but "slight tendency to sound “tizzy”, especially at high volumes, thanks to the lower treble emphasis" I know exactly what that is (Brainwavz M4 if I remeber well had exactly that) and I don't want it. I was thinking in getting a pair of RE-400 given the fact I loved Brainwavz M1 in the past, but I'm afraid I won't like them, another choice would be Yamaha EPH100? Do you have any other recommendation? Thank you very much.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13,432 of 16,931
Has anyone reshelled the dn-1000?

Is this thread for universals only or for customs too? I'm looking for a budget bassy CIEM that can extend low. Any recs? Similar to the dn-1000 but less peaky highs?

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #13,433 of 16,931

Is this thread for universals only or for customs too? I'm looking for a budget bassy CIEM that can extend low. Any recs? Similar to the dn-1000 but less peaky highs?

I don't know if reshelling is a wise choice if the universals were tuned with certain intentions and that's the signature you prefer.  I saw a video of 1964 Ears development process and they measure the FR of their customs, not sure if any tuning is done if it's out of predicted response.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #13,434 of 16,931

There are some customs on the list.  The only more budget friendly, bass-leaning model that comes to mind are the Alclair Duals XB @ $300 and there's also the Cosmic Ears BA3 which is about $400 (not including  ear impression and extra features costs).  I don't believe either of these models have been reviewed here though.  A reshell of the DN1000 may be tricky for most companies since it is a hybrid design and I've not heard of any hybrids being re-shelled yet.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #13,435 of 16,931

Hi there, I've been listening to both MH1C and Flux, while I like the Flux for the better but not disturbing treble presence, when I plug in the MH1 I find it more spacious, I know that mode recessed mids/highs gives you the impression of more space but it's not just that, they sound more like headphones while the flux have tiny, localized sound when comparing. I looked at RHA-MA750 but "slight tendency to sound “tizzy”, especially at high volumes, thanks to the lower treble emphasis" I know exactly what that is (Brainwavz M4 if I remeber well had exactly that) and I don't want it. I was thinking in getting a pair of RE-400 given the fact I loved Brainwavz M1 in the past, but I'm afraid I won't like them, another choice would be Yamaha EPH100? Do you have any other recommendation? Thank you very much.

Why do you think you won’t like the RE-400? If you are not hinged on having as much bass as the MH1 or Flux you should be alright. They don’t have the biggest soundstage though. Neither does the EPH-100, but the big bass and solid dynamics help it sound "bigger" than the RE-400. The MH1C is already pretty good in that regard so it’s tough to upgrade from it in soundstaging.

There are some customs. They are marked in green on the summary table here. However, the only budget custom I’ve tried that I could call bassy is the 1964-V3. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #13,436 of 16,931
  Why do you think you won’t like the RE-400? If you are not hinged on having as much bass as the MH1 or Flux you should be alright. They don’t have the biggest soundstage though. Neither does the EPH-100, but the big bass and solid dynamics help it sound "bigger" than the RE-400. The MH1C is already pretty good in that regard so it’s tough to upgrade from it in soundstaging.

I don't want to upgrade in soundstaging, I am ok with flux (or better) sound and MH1 soundstage, I am ok with MH1 sound but different cable, that's why I bought Flux in the first place. Will eph100 be an upgrade in sound to the MH1?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #13,439 of 16,931
  I don't want to upgrade in soundstaging, I am ok with flux (or better) sound and MH1 soundstage, I am ok with MH1 sound but different cable, that's why I bought Flux in the first place. Will eph100 be an upgrade in sound to the MH1?

There really needs to be a re-cabling service for the MH1..

The EPH-100 is a little more colored than the MH1 but I do consider it an upgrade overall. 

Vsd1 not in the charts?

Sorry, haven't had a chance to re-write the InnerFidelity review. Score-wise it's a little above the VC02 (which scored an 8.1 in sound) for me.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #13,440 of 16,931
Some new product announcements from Fidue including a 3-way BA/dynamic hybrid earphone with detachable cables and a sub-$100 dual dynamic. 

http://theheadphonelist.com/new-iems-fidue-announced-a71-dual-dynamic-a83-triple-hybrid/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back