Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #13,111 of 16,931

Thanks
How are they compared with Audio Technica CKX9 or Phillips S1s?

i have neither of these , but you can read about the rha ma-750 in the review segment . and about the h1 , has a lesser bass decay , nice mids , and blunt highs , beautifully musical sound , wont rate it high for its sq but for me its a 8.4 , wont feel slow to electronic music , i myself like electronic music and h1 is not bad at it , fuller bass , not much sub bass but mid bass is nice .

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #13,112 of 16,931

i have neither of these , but you can read about the rha ma-750 in the review segment . and about the h1 , has a lesser bass decay , nice mids , and blunt highs , beautifully musical sound , wont rate it high for its sq but for me its a 8.4 , wont feel slow to electronic music , i myself like electronic music and h1 is not bad at it , fuller bass , not much sub bass but mid bass is nice .

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #13,114 of 16,931

The Westones are the only ones I've tried out of those. They do have a thicker sound (along with more bass impact) and slightly subdued upper mids in comparison but I doubt an RE-400 fan will find them boring.

Having to be a big brand really narrows it down. The Sony MDR-7550 sounds better than the SE535 to me with a not-too-different sound signature (balanced, a little warm, with smooth treble). TDK BA200 does too, and has a similar form factor. Otherwise you're probably stuck with having to get another pair of Shures. 

Thanks for the input! But those are scarse and i don't find any retailer nor etailer selling The Sonys in Sweden. I do find a retailer selling the TDK BA200. These are better than the 535's you say? Regarding the Shure SE535 it's nearly sold out everywhere here and i was thinking custom as an alternative. Is the 1964-V3 from 1964 Ears better than the Shure 535's? And the Westone W40 any thoughts of them? Im just after transparent neutral sound and no colouring on any range. The Shure 535, UE900, Sennheiser 8i, Etymotic Research ER-4PT, Klipsch X11i, Grado GR8 is the only ones with big availability here in Sweden.

Thanks in advance!

edit: ljokerl i just read that you didn't like the SE535 a few posts up. Are they bad?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,115 of 16,931
This might be the best thread ever of all thread that ever was!!

Just reporting back that I have given many more hours on my RHA 750 IEMs. They have become everything I had hoped and more! Bass response has enhanced with burn in and the clarity is excellent across the spectrum! My only gripe in the over ear piece. I wish they were a little more rigid or perhaps "formable".

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #13,116 of 16,931
  Hi Joker

Quick question, currently got Bassos and want to upgrade due to driver flex.
Which IEMs you think will suit electronic music for under £80?

Thanks

Zero Audio Tenore and Monster Gratitude are great for electronic music.  Have you heard the Fidelio S1?  I have the S2 and they are good for electronic music also.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #13,119 of 16,931
Go with the Gratitude's, they are truly great with electronic music. That's a fair price as well

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #13,120 of 16,931
  Thanks. I can get the Gratitudes for £60 on ebay. Not heard the S1s. S2s are slightly over price range.
You not heard the RHA MA750a? 

You asked about S1 so I thought you had them.

No, I haven't heard MA750, but I'm sure someone has heard both MA750 and Gratitudes.  Ask on the Discovery thread.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #13,122 of 16,931
@joker or anyone else

so i got the um pro 30. But the sound signature isn't really to my liking. The bass is a bit bloated and bleeds into the lower mids, which i find is a bit too forward. the upper midrange could use a tiny bit more clarity as well.

Basically i'm looking for something mid centric, not shove-it-into-your-face forward with less midbass, and a bit more clarity, and no sibilance, and kind of warm. Something that sounds natural (transparent?) and on the warm side of neutral a la lcd2.

I'm guessing the shure se535 might be it, but in your review you say that it's bested by some newer offerings so im wondering what they may be. I'm guessing the sm64, since you say its still dark sounding, but can make claims to sonic balance. But I'm still unsure. My price range is still 400-500, but this time, no brand preference, though I'm leaning towards the sm64 if I can actually find someplace to buy them.(I already emailed earsonics about the vat tax)

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #13,123 of 16,931
Was wondering what you guys think about the Earsonics sm64? Would like to know how it compares to the W40 and Se535? Trying to decide on getting a pair of IEMs around this price range.

Never heard the W40 or SE535, but I own both the W4R and the SM64 and clearly prefer the SM64. More and deeper sub-bass, no bass bleed into the mids, mids a bit more forward, with nice sparkle in the highs. Wider, slightly deeper, more realistic soundstage (wonderful with live recordings). The SM64 sound is very cohesive and coherent from the lowest to highest notes.

Like the W4R, little to no sibilance and very easy to listen to for hours (no fatigue).

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #13,124 of 16,931
  Was wondering what you guys think about the Earsonics sm64? Would like to know how it compares to the W40 and Se535? Trying to decide on getting a pair of IEMs around this price range.

I personally like the SM64. See review here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/earsonics-sm64/ . Really good if you like deep and powerful bass (it’s not a reference earphone) without veiling or loss in clarity/detail.  

Hi Joker

Quick question, currently got Bassos and want to upgrade due to driver flex.
Which IEMs you think will suit electronic music for under £80?

Thanks

I haven’t tried any Zero Audio IEMs. Are the Yamaha EPH-100s in your budget? I know prices are often higher in the UK for the same gear. I really like the EPH-100 for EDM. The MA750s are good, too- they are a little slower than the EPH-100 from a bass perspective, but otherwise about as capable. 

Thanks for the input! But those are scarse and i don't find any retailer nor etailer selling The Sonys in Sweden. I do find a retailer selling the TDK BA200. These are better than the 535's you say? Regarding the Shure SE535 it's nearly sold out everywhere here and i was thinking custom as an alternative. Is the 1964-V3 from 1964 Ears better than the Shure 535's? And the Westone W40 any thoughts of them? Im just after transparent neutral sound and no colouring on any range. The Shure 535, UE900, Sennheiser 8i, Etymotic Research ER-4PT, Klipsch X11i, Grado GR8 is the only ones with big availability here in Sweden.

Thanks in advance!

edit: ljokerl i just read that you didn't like the SE535 a few posts up. Are they bad?

I don’t mind the SE535 - it's not the IEM I’d personally buy in its price class, but if you enjoyed it I definitely wouldn't advise against it.

The W40 has the same sound as the W4 reviewed in this thread. I like the W40, as well as the UE900 and ER-4PT. The UE900 is very balanced except for a little dip in the upper mids. It’s a little brighter than the SE535 but that didn’t bother me. The ER4 is more analytical - brighter, less bass body, and thinner overall. The X11i and Senn IE8i are definitely not neutral-sounding so probably not a good choice.

The 1964-V3 is also not neutral-sounding - it's quite bassy and has an aggressive signature. Not a great SE535 upgrade. 

This might be the best thread ever of all thread that ever was!!

Just reporting back that I have given many more hours on my RHA 750 IEMs. They have become everything I had hoped and more! Bass response has enhanced with burn in and the clarity is excellent across the spectrum! My only gripe in the over ear piece. I wish they were a little more rigid or perhaps "formable".

Glad you like them!

FYI, the earhooks on the MA750 can be reshaped if you think that will help you get more comfortable – just heat them up with a hair dryer and carefully adjust their shape. Once they cool off they’ll take on the new shape you give them.

@joker or anyone else

so i got the um pro 30. But the sound signature isn't really to my liking. The bass is a bit bloated and bleeds into the lower mids, which i find is a bit too forward. the upper midrange could use a tiny bit more clarity as well.

Basically i'm looking for something mid centric, not shove-it-into-your-face forward with less midbass, and a bit more clarity, and no sibilance, and kind of warm. Something that sounds natural (transparent?) and on the warm side of neutral a la lcd2.

I'm guessing the shure se535 might be it, but in your review you say that it's bested by some newer offerings so im wondering what they may be. I'm guessing the sm64, since you say its still dark sounding, but can make claims to sonic balance. But I'm still unsure. My price range is still 400-500, but this time, no brand preference, though I'm leaning towards the sm64 if I can actually find someplace to buy them.(I already emailed earsonics about the vat tax)

Yeah, the SE535 would do it. It's a better LCD-2 match than the SM64. It's a little pricy though - IMO the TDK BA200, Sony MDR-7550, and even HiFiMan RE-400 are a better value for that type of sound, and the StageDiver SD-2 might be the holy grail if you're spending SE535 money.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #13,125 of 16,931

I haven’t tried any Zero Audio IEMs. Are the Yamaha EPH-100s in your budget? I know prices are often higher in the UK for the same gear. I really like the EPH-100 for EDM. The MA750s are good, too- they are a little slower than the EPH-100 from a bass perspective, but otherwise about as capable. 

Yeah the EPH100 is out of my range sadly. Its the one IEM I know will be good as everyone agrees about that.
Have you heard the Sony H1s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back