Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #13,036 of 16,931
  Joker, any CIEM you'd recommend for a VC1000 lover? Same signature but better technically..

Nothing with exactly the same signature but I think a VC1000 fan would enjoy all of these:

Noble 4S - more full-bodied and a touch smoothed-over in comparison to the VC1000 but very balanced overall with a more natural timbre
JHA JH13 Pro - bassier than the VC1000 with a more exciting sound, but still extremely transparent and accurate
Hidition NT6 - a little brighter than VC1000 but otherwise probably the most similar in note presentation - an extremely clear and detailed earphone
UM Miracle - slightly more distanced in the midrange which makes the bass (est. deep bass) seem a little more prominent compared to the VC1000 and Noble 4S, but otherwise similar
1964 V6-Stage - a bit more colored than the Miracle but not too different

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #13,037 of 16,931
Added brief impressions of a couple of new IEMs - the T-Peos Tank/Popular/Spider, Accidentally Extraordinary Bamboo, Meze 11 Deco, NarMoo R1M, Astrotec AX35, and Olasonic Flat-4 Nami. The full post can be found here.

The TL;DR version:

1. The T-Peos Tank and Popular are turning out to be pretty good $40 earphones, with the Tank being warmer and bassier and the Popular more neutral, but still with excellent bass. The newer T-Peos Spider is similar but so far seems to lose out slightly to the two other T-Peos sets. The Tank and Popular, and maybe the Spider, will get full reviews later on.
  2. The Accidentally Extraordinary Bamboo Earbuds provide forward mids rarely found in entry-level IEMs but lack the clarity and refinement of the best entry-level sets. No full review for these.
  3. The Meze 11 Deco looks very pretty but is too bassy for its own good and will not get a full review.
  4. The NarMoo R1M features interchangeable tuning ports/screws that range from enhanced-bass to very bassy. In its most balanced configuration it sounds a little edgy but boasts good clarity and a formidable soundstage considering the $30 price tag. Worth a closer look later on.
  5. The Astrotec AX35 is a singe-BA/dynamic hybrid from Astrotec with a clear, slightly v-shaped signature. It sounds good and should be less polarizing than T-Peos' pricier H-100 hybrid, so it will get a full review.
  6. The Olasonic Flat-4 Nami dual-dynamic monitors come with a high price tag and very unique sound signature - open-sounding and very clear, with tight bass, they are pretty bright and heavy on the treble. Best used at lower volumes, but they seem competitive so far and will most likely get a full review.

The not-so-brief version of these brief impressions can be found here.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #13,038 of 16,931
  Hey joker! Nice to see you're still truckin. As usual your reviews are fantastic and are quite comprehensive. I've used this thread a boatload of times as a gold standard when recommending IEMs to my friends who are just getting into higher quality headphones.

My question for you - have you encountered anything that's basically an upgraded version of the RE262 (specifically, extension at both ends and detail in the treble)? I've skimmed over most of your sub-250 IEMs and didn't see anything that would do the trick, or looked large, awkward, and low on comfort. From what I can tell the RE-400 is what comes the closest, but it's more of a mix between the RE-ZERO and the RE-262. Any other alternatives? Thanks!

I've heard the TDK IE800 described as an improved RE262, for what it's worth.  I'm always pumping these IEMs as they're so cheap now and punch way above their weight.  I've been patiently waiting and hoping that one day Joker will get his hands on a pair.  People who own both the IE800 and the BA200 seem to be split on which they prefer and the BA200 is very well liked. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #13,039 of 16,931
  Hey joker! Nice to see you're still truckin. As usual your reviews are fantastic and are quite comprehensive. I've used this thread a boatload of times as a gold standard when recommending IEMs to my friends who are just getting into higher quality headphones.

My question for you - have you encountered anything that's basically an upgraded version of the RE262 (specifically, extension at both ends and detail in the treble)? I've skimmed over most of your sub-250 IEMs and didn't see anything that would do the trick, or looked large, awkward, and low on comfort. From what I can tell the RE-400 is what comes the closest, but it's more of a mix between the RE-ZERO and the RE-262. Any other alternatives? Thanks!

I can definetely say that RE400 is not an upgrade of RE262. Er4s and according to amazon reviews TDK IE800 is said to be an upgrade of RE262.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #13,040 of 16,931

I can definetely say that RE400 is not an upgrade of RE262. Er4s and according to amazon reviews TDK IE800 is said to be an upgrade of RE262.

I owned the Altec Lansing iM716 (supposedly very similar to ER4P/S) and it's not like the RE262 at all, I would say it's closer to an upgrade of the RE-0. The two TDK earphones are very interesting, although the IE800 looks to be unwieldy since I have small ears and ear canals, so I don't think that's an option. From what i've read it sounds like the BA200 is a more neutral earphone than the IE800, which is a bit more V-shaped, so that's fine. The BA200 is very high on my interest list at the moment.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #13,041 of 16,931
To the guy who asked about the Xiaomi Pistons: They sound similar in quality to my SteelSeries Flux set to me. The Flux's, as configured with my custom silicone tips, have more bass than the Pistons, but IIRC they sounded similar to each other signature-wise with the stock tips. The Pistons seem to be slightly more resolving -- I don't have golden ears, but they sound noticeably less forgiving in terms of badly mastered tracks to my ears.

The upside is that the Pistons cost less. The downside is that they have to be imported...and there apparently are a ton of fakes in circulation.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #13,042 of 16,931
To the guy who asked about the Xiaomi Pistons: They sound similar in quality to my SteelSeries Flux set to me. The Flux's, as configured with my custom silicone tips, have more bass than the Pistons, but IIRC they sounded similar to each other signature-wise with the stock tips. The Pistons seem to be slightly more resolving -- I don't have golden ears, but they sound noticeably less forgiving in terms of badly mastered tracks to my ears.

The upside is that the Pistons cost less. The downside is that they have to be imported...and there apparently are a ton of fakes in circulation.

No fake if purchased directly or ibuygou.com, an authorized seller. Most people were gambling on real/fake buying from different eBay sellers to save a few dollars.

Do you use stock tips on your pistons? If so they are crap and need to be replaced ASAP. I have both the Flux (purchased when they were half off and with Sony hybrid tips) and the Pistons (with Sennheiser double flange tips and filters removed) and the pistons had the stronger bass punch.
To me, the better sound goes to the flux because of its balance and clearer vocals/mids. It's my preference.
The pistons are warm and sweet (U-shaped sound): fun with great lower and mid bass and nice treble.

Addendum: I'm curious about your Flux custom tips. Are they comply-like or something different?

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #13,043 of 16,931
Would love to see a Joker review of the Meelectronics M-Duo...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13,044 of 16,931
Do you use stock tips on your pistons? If so they are crap and need to be replaced ASAP. 

Addendum: I'm curious about your Flux custom tips. Are they comply-like or something different?

I'm using Logitech UE TF10 medium tips on the Pistons. Agreed on the stock tips.

The custom tips I'm using are similar to these from ACS. I ordered them from 1964Ears right before they discontinued the option.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #13,046 of 16,931
Added brief impressions of a couple of new IEMs - the T-Peos Tank/Popular/Spider, Accidentally Extraordinary Bamboo, Meze 11 Deco, NarMoo R1M, Astrotec AX35, and Olasonic Flat-4 Nami. The full post can be found here.

[*]The NarMoo R1M features interchangeable tuning ports/screws that range from enhanced-bass to very bassy. In its most balanced configuration it sounds a little edgy but boasts good clarity and a formidable soundstage considering the $30 price tag. Worth a closer look later on.

Out of the ~$50 and under iems you recommend in your buyers guide, which ones would you say have the best soundstage in terms of layering/depth and imaging/3D-ness? I'm looking to upgrade from my current she3580 and jvc fr201 (mic'd fx101) and have been considering mh1, steelseries flux, vsd1, gr02be, quadbeats, pistons, etc... and now these new NarMoos because your remark on its soundstage caught my attention.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #13,047 of 16,931
  Would love to see a Joker review of the Meelectronics M-Duo...
smily_headphones1.gif

Saw it at CES but unfortunately didn't get to try it. Maybe someday...

Quick question (for a friend) :

Good looking IEMs for indie folk type pop under £30?

Thinking GR02 (£23) or maybe some A161p (£30)?

Lots of options for indie-pop type stuff, even the Soundmagic E10 sounds great with it. A161P is probably too neutral for casual listening (unless that is your friend's preferred signature). VSonic VSD1 or VSD1S would be a better option if you can find either in your budget - more accurate than GR02 but more "fun" than A161P and just excellent all around.

Out of the ~$50 and under iems you recommend in your buyers guide, which ones would you say have the best soundstage in terms of layering/depth and imaging/3D-ness? I'm looking to upgrade from my current she3580 and jvc fr201 (mic'd fx101) and have been considering mh1, steelseries flux, vsd1, gr02be, quadbeats, pistons, etc... and now these new NarMoos because your remark on its soundstage caught my attention.

Probably the MH1C specifically for all-around ability in presentation, especially if you take off a bit off the bass with EQ. The VSD1, Flux, and Quadbeats are all pretty wide but a little flat in terms of depth so they don't quite have that same well-rounded feel. The NarMoos sort of have this same issues but jury's still out on whether they're a step in front or a step behind these other ones.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #13,049 of 16,931
  Thanks for the reply joker. Btw would the soundmagic e10 also have the same wide but flat issue with soundstage?

Yeah pretty much. I like the presentation of the E10, though - it's a little vague, but pretty airy-sounding. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #13,050 of 16,931
Hi ljoker,

Soundwise you rated DN-1000 same as Brainwavz B2. (9.2 SQ)
I have B2 but I was thinking to upgrade to DN-1000 mainly due to dynamic driver capabilities - bass extension - is it really worth it? Is there anything that DN-1000 does really better than B2?
Or I should ask: what is keeping the B2 to be on par with DN-1000?

BTW: have you had chance to hear / review ATH-IM70 or Zero Audio Doppio?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back