Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 27, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #12,751 of 16,931
Thanks ljokerl for the RHA MA750 review and this incredible gazzillion-IEM thread. It's my bible every time I look for IEMs.

I've been using the ECCI PR401 and have no complaints with the sound signature, except I do want more isolation, a 3-button remote and hopefully more spacious presentation.
I was considering the OM Audio Inearpeace and NOCS NS400 but couldn't find reviews to benchmark against the criteria in this thread, but now it looks like this RHA MA750i could be the ticket!

A few questions:

- are the guided-over-ear hooks removable (have never worn over-ear hooks before and don't know if it will be uncomfortable for me)
- how would you say the MA750 is (or isn't) significantly different from the PR401 in terms of sound quality?

Quote:
  After some deliberation I updated my Earphone Buyer's Guide by Sound Signature with the RHA MA750 as an alternative to the Yamaha EPH-100 in the warm & smooth section. Been a while since I encountered something worth adding. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #12,754 of 16,931
How do I know if the mee m6 is older? Thank you.

This is how it looks like (pls click the amazon link).....the link has the blue version priced @ $16.xx right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008YDTRJU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1390828755&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

the next gen will have the "P" suffix (M6P) for mobile version and theres one more model called "S6P"which is the sports version with red shell.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #12,757 of 16,931
  If you're buying the M6 you'd better like your music to have a lot of sloppy bass.  Personally I wasn't a fan.

Yep, I had the older one and it was decent but not sure how much the new one improved for today's market. I like the Moxpad X3/Soundsoul U10 better for a similar flush in ear that has better sound plus replaceable cable. Still a warm smooth enjoyable sig but closer to the VSD1 SQ level than the M6 was.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #12,758 of 16,931
So I decided to blow my budget and grab a pair of GR07BEs. Got em on sale for $139 Cdn, but this really was well above what I was planning on spending ($50-100). But since they were getting to much love I said to heck with it. Sounds ok so far. Actually way more bass than I was expecting, I can't even use the comply-type tips cause there is just too much bass there. I guess I've just gotten so used to my PFE111s. I suppose this is the difference between a BA and dynamic. To me an analogy would be that the PFE is like a really good stand mounted speaker, whereas the vsonic would be a floor stander. I'll need to spend more time with em before I can make a definitive opinion, but so far I haven't got that money well spent feeling like I did from the Phonaks.

This brings me to a question. Has anybody else purchased these recently? I ask because I didn't get any hybrid tips with mine. I was wondering if it's because of the recent tiff with sony or something else. I still haven't heard from the guys I bought em from yet (that's my one complaint about Headphone Bar, kinda slack with the email). I'm not all that concerned, genuine sony's are under $10 if I really want them, and I might try some actual comply's (not sure if I can stretch my phonak tips to fit. I'll wait till the ones I'm using now are pretty much done so I don't trash a new pair).
I also asked this over on the 07 thread, but no one's replied so I figured I'd ask here too.
Cheers.
BTW any thoughts about comply tip size. So far I've read everything from 200-500.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #12,759 of 16,931
From what I've read, Comply doesn't officially fit and actually I'd stay away from them. It's weird that you didn't get the Vsonic hybrids. Anyway, if you're going to spend $10 on tips, might as well buy a pair of MH1 (the cheap ones) and get the new hybrids AND a nice headset (even if you can't use them with most things without an adapter or recabling). I got a great sound with my GR07mkII and the MH1C hybrids.

If you really want to use comply tips I think something like using the steam from a hybrid tip and stuffing it inside a larger comply tip like T400-500. You can kind of put the hybrid tip inside the comply tip, fold it inside out and make the silicone act as a sleeve over the nozzle of the GR07 if you want to. It actually works. It's an interesting way and you'll probably have to have them in front of you to understand what I mean.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #12,760 of 16,931
I'd still like to give actual complys a try. They are stupid comfy with my phonaks, and I find that the silicone are more prone to cable noise. I'm also hoping the real comply won't be so bassy since they are smaller and probaby won't fit so deep/tight (I don't really notice any huge diff in sound with the PFE, so it must be the vsonic foam right
redface.gif
) I have managed to fit the phonak large silicone onto the vsonic, but they do stick out a little farther and are kinda wobbly which make them even more susceptable noise.

Even the packaging is different for most of the other pics that I've seen (including The Headphone Bar website). They came in the same type of box as the 07classics. If they didn't have the candy cable, I'd wonder if I didn't get the classics instead.

Another thing...How does the vsonic security check work anyways. I can't read chinese and google translate just makes it worse
rolleyes.gif
. What number are you supposed to enter?

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #12,761 of 16,931
How about the xiaomi pistons 2. http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_piston_earphone_updated_version_brown-5708-usd.html
There is a great hype going on about them at the discovery thread. Haven't got them myself, but respected heafiers are praising them.
I'm curious to how joker would rate them, but reading this thread makes it obvious there are far more iems in line waiting to being reviewed.

Ain't that the truth.

Originally Posted by wysinawyg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks ljokerl for the RHA MA750 review and this incredible gazzillion-IEM thread. It's my bible every time I look for IEMs.

I've been using the ECCI PR401 and have no complaints with the sound signature, except I do want more isolation, a 3-button remote and hopefully more spacious presentation.
I was considering the OM Audio Inearpeace and NOCS NS400 but couldn't find reviews to benchmark against the criteria in this thread, but now it looks like this RHA MA750i could be the ticket!

A few questions:

- are the guided-over-ear hooks removable (have never worn over-ear hooks before and don't know if it will be uncomfortable for me)
- how would you say the MA750 is (or isn't) significantly different from the PR401 in terms of sound quality?

The MA750 is warmer-sounding and significantly bassier than the PR401. It also has a little more upper midrange/lower treble presence but not enough to significantly differentiate it from the ECCI there. I haven't heard the ECCIs in a while but from memory the MA750 should be a little wider. The PR401's signature has a very mild v-shape that reminds me more of the LG Quadbeat. Like the Quadbeat it has an advantage over a lot of similarly-priced IEMs in soundstage size due to that particular signature. 

The earhooks on the MA750 are definitely not removable. They can be re-shaped if necessary but they're there to stay. 

How do I know if the mee m6 is older? Thank you.

Not sure how to do it for the black/clear ones but the other colors (white, blue, purple, etc) didn't exist until the current generation so you're always getting the newest ones with those colors. 

Yep, I had the older one and it was decent but not sure how much the new one improved for today's market. I like the Moxpad X3/Soundsoul U10 better for a similar flush in ear that has better sound plus replaceable cable. Still a warm smooth enjoyable sig but closer to the VSD1 SQ level than the M6 was.

I have a purple current-get one and for $20 I think it's fine. It's not up to par with $50 VSonics but I can listen to it while walking my dog without turning back early.

So I decided to blow my budget and grab a pair of GR07BEs. Got em on sale for $139 Cdn, but this really was well above what I was planning on spending ($50-100). But since they were getting to much love I said to heck with it. Sounds ok so far. Actually way more bass than I was expecting, I can't even use the comply-type tips cause there is just too much bass there. I guess I've just gotten so used to my PFE111s. I suppose this is the difference between a BA and dynamic. To me an analogy would be that the PFE is like a really good stand mounted speaker, whereas the vsonic would be a floor stander. I'll need to spend more time with em before I can make a definitive opinion, but so far I haven't got that money well spent feeling like I did from the Phonaks.

This brings me to a question. Has anybody else purchased these recently? I ask because I didn't get any hybrid tips with mine. I was wondering if it's because of the recent tiff with sony or something else. I still haven't heard from the guys I bought em from yet (that's my one complaint about Headphone Bar, kinda slack with the email). I'm not all that concerned, genuine sony's are under $10 if I really want them, and I might try some actual comply's (not sure if I can stretch my phonak tips to fit. I'll wait till the ones I'm using now are pretty much done so I don't trash a new pair).
I also asked this over on the 07 thread, but no one's replied so I figured I'd ask here too.
Cheers.
BTW any thoughts about comply tip size. So far I've read everything from 200-500.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) my GR07s are both pretty old (my GR07 mkI had its 3rd birthday earlier this year). Not sure if they've been changed recently.

I personally never found a comply size that works properly but the only ones I have are *400s and *200s. Lately I've been using modified meelec triple-flanges with an adapter to make them fit on the GR07 nozzles. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #12,762 of 16,931

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) my GR07s are both pretty old (my GR07 mkI had its 3rd birthday earlier this year). Not sure if they've been changed recently.

I personally never found a comply size that works properly but the only ones I have are *400s and *200s. Lately I've been using modified meelec triple-flanges with an adapter to make them fit on the GR07 nozzles. 

The phonak tips are t130. Looking at them I can see they are a little smaller than the one vsonic had, but I might be able to stretch the inner tube enough to fit. According to you reviews the phonaks have a 13mm nozzle, and the 07 are 14mm so it might not be too much of a stretch (bad pun intended
biggrin.gif
). I'll just have to wait till the tips I'm using now are a little more worn down before I try and get them on, I don't want to destroy a new pair. At least the nozzle on the 07 is metal so I won't have to worry bout breaking that.
Can you explain that adapter?
Cheers.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #12,763 of 16,931

The phonak tips are t130. Looking at them I can see they are a little smaller than the one vsonic had, but I might be able to stretch the inner tube enough to fit. According to you reviews the phonaks have a 13mm nozzle, and the 07 are 14mm so it might not be too much of a stretch (bad pun intended
biggrin.gif
). I'll just have to wait till the tips I'm using now are a little more worn down before I try and get them on, I don't want to destroy a new pair. At least the nozzle on the 07 is metal so I won't have to worry bout breaking that.
Cheers.

it cant be 13/14 mm nozzle man .

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #12,764 of 16,931
Posted the fourth and final part of my CES Headphone Impressions at http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-4-scosche-meelectronics-german-maestro/ 

Highlights from Part 4:

1. The technical details of Scosche headphones elude even their staff but some of the models sound pretty good
  2. The MEElectronics Atlas looks good with full-headphone graphics and sounds good with deep bass and a mildly v-shaped signature
  3. As it turns out, a Motörhead concert at 110dB is not conducive to headphone testing
  4. Nakamichi wins the coveted “Worst in Show” award for the turdtastic NK 600
  5. An upcoming Ecko Unltd full-size headphone may just be retro enough to work
  6. Razer’s new made-for-music Adaro headphone line is worth a listen
  7. GermanMAESTRO impresses with lightweight, yet ultra-durable headphones, especially the full-size GMP 435 S

Full post can be found here

MEElec tips are too loose on the VSonic nozzles. Putting the cores of smaller tips on the VSonic nozzle first and then stretching the MEElec tips over allows them to fit securely. It's the same idea as the Monster Supertip adapters: http://www.head-fi.org/t/559919/monster-eartip-adapters-a-potential-yet-competent-solution 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back