Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #12,541 of 16,931
nvm lol read the post above wrong
deadhorse.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #12,542 of 16,931
  nvm lol read the post above wrong
deadhorse.gif

what did you read it as :wink:

So far took out the GR07 1st, then the X10, then the MA750. I think I deafened myself when I plugged in the GR07 and forget to tone down my iphone volume from 100% and had trouble pulling the head pieces out of my ear. Then I basically struggled with each one and tried to drill them into my ears. Man I wish I can wear my 650's everywhere, these IEM's are literally killing my ears. My ears hurt so much right now from the constant raping and so far I've been unimpressed by any of the sounds except for the GR07. The GR07 actually has so far the best sound, built quality, and packaging IMO. The MA750 is my least favorite, they're way too big, heavy, and the metallic design really makes it look cheap. It was also very uncomfortable and the way its cables are bent at the end makes it hard to adjust it. I took it out after about a minute or 2 because it was so bulky. I guess I'm just too spoiled by my 650 8/

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #12,543 of 16,931
After my Brainwavz B2s broke for the second time, I think it's time to get them fixed yet again and just sell them off. So, What would be a good replacement? Something a little bit more warm would be nice, under 250$. How would the CustomArt Music One match up? 

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #12,544 of 16,931
  what did you read it as :wink:

Got a little overexcited in my still currently intoxicated state & thought '4 IEMs' was actually 'IM04' (Audio-Technica's new high end universals) having just been perusing the web & this site for reviews/thoughts of any sort just prior to that. Apologies for the notification mate!

Sorry to hear that the actual IEMs aren't doing much for you so far btw. I've heard the 650s a fair bit as one of my mates has them, so I can understand your views in terms of cans vs IEMs to an extent. However, I would encourage you to try what I am currently attempting to do, in picking out a higher end universal, or even consider going custom in order to truly experience what IEMs are sonically capable of.

It may not be the same situation for you - but IEMs are a necessity in my life as I spend so much time listening to my ipod when I'm out - which is why I've decided that it's time to take the plunge & invest in a superior product that can satisfy all (or at least most) of my audiophilic desires
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #12,545 of 16,931
W3's with the Comply P series tips are the only tips that can stick into my right ear. I'm not sure if it's my right ear canal has a weird anatomy but none of the other IEM's can even fit right. It's sound isolation is by far the best with these tips, better than the X10. Sounds INTOXICATING with my EDM music, much much more clear than the X10's muddy sounds, perhaps not as "accurate" and neutral/transparent as the GR07-BE's but who cares if you're on the run and the 07's isolation IMO is worst than my S4's. Sound quality on the run is only as good as the isolation. The W3's isolation reminds me of my old Shure E3C's, superb while not as bulging and intruding as the E3C's. I've tested the other 3 IEM's each less than 10 minutes but after properly adjusting the W3's with these tips the search is over. I'll be going to work with these tomorrow :D I can't stress how high quality the W3 is too, everything from the case, the accessories, the ear piece screams of a >$300 product vs the others tested. Perhaps I just had a revelation that I enjoy "V shaped" sounds more than flat and neutral ones, and fun sounds more than analytical ones.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #12,546 of 16,931
  I see sounds like the iem i'm looking for. I'm kind of on the fence between the sd-2 and the Noble 4 universals, what are the differences between them? They are both at the same price.   

I haven't tried the Noble universals. The Noble 4S is IMO more accurate than the SD-2 - brighter and more energetic. It's a lot more Etymotic-like than the SD-2 and also has advantages in clarity, resolution, imaging, etc. The SD-2 has a slight advantage in bass depth but that's about it. But again, this is compared to the $999 Noble 4S and I'm not sure how that compares to the universal version. 

Have any of you run with in ear headphones? do you think they would fall off with all those tips?

I use my MEElec M6 - never had them get loose or fall out. It really depends on both the particular earphones - both the design (how they fit in the ear, how they stay in place, etc) and the eartips. 

Cool, thanks so much again for your assessments.

With regards to the SD-2 vs Miracle - that's exactly what has been the cause of much concern & contemplation as I have realised that I will likely feel the inevitable need to opt for a high-calibre custom at some point in the near-future if I'm truly going to reap the rewards for doing so.

The Miracle & the $1000+ range in general is definitely out of reach for the moment though - which is why I'm looking for something that will give me at least some degree of that kind of performance, whilst remaining in the immediately affordable budget.

I've also been contemplating the idea of possibly stretching that budget a little to accomodate the V6-Stage if that's going to truly satsify my needs & hold off my desire for more expensive customs a lot longer. Would you possibly be able to give me some more detailed comparisons between that & the Miracle? Additionally, would you say that the price difference between the SD-2 & V6-Stage is justified in the comparative sound quality?

See here for direct V6-Stage vs Miracle comparison: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/1964ears-v6-stage/ 

As for diminishing returns, that's really hard to gauge. Is the SD-2 worth 3x the price of the RE-400 from HiFiMan? The difference is about the same there as it is between the SD-2 and a high-end custom IMO, so which leap is harder to justify - $99 -> $450 or $450 -> $699? I don't really have a good answer for this question...

Ahhh thanks for the descriptions. That makes it a clearer. Does impact for you take into account edge definition?

When I want to make note of earphones where the bass lacks a strong/sharp leading edge I usually just say that the bass sounds "soft" or has a "soft" note presentation. Hasn't been an issue with many of the sets I've heard lately, come to think of it. 

After my Brainwavz B2s broke for the second time, I think it's time to get them fixed yet again and just sell them off. So, What would be a good replacement? Something a little bit more warm would be nice, under 250$. How would the CustomArt Music One match up? 

The Music One would be good - not necessarily an "upgrade" in SQ but a warmer sound and of course the construction should be more robust. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #12,547 of 16,931
The Miles Davis Trumpets as well as the Monster Turbine Pro Gold are on sale at Visions Electronics for 98$ and I was considering getting a pair.

Is it a great value at this price. The Coppers are sold out, but they might restock. I was wondering for that price which model I should go with. Coming from the SE215, i expect something that has about the same bass quantity, but slightly tighter. I also prefer something that has more soundstage. I mostly listen to classical and hiphop and I would really appreciate any kind of feedback on which of the 3 models to pick. I'm leaning more towards the Trumpets but I'm worried that the sound might be too neutral, avoiding extremes as you mentioned in your review. 

Could you recommend one that has those but sounds just as "fun" as the se215

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12,548 of 16,931
To the people that have custom IEM, I have some questions:

1) How much isolation do you get with a proper fit? Are you able to clearly hear people next to you talk? If you walk around on the street, are the noises all very dim or just slightly dim? 

I tried my JH13 for a week and it seems the isolation varies greatly between the type of sound that's around me. If someone stands in front of me and talk to me, I can hear them clearly. Sometimes even standing several feet away I can hear people's voice clearly. But sounds like plane engine are greatly reduced.

2) Is it normal to have the faceplate of the CIEM not vertical to the ground after I insert it?

The left size of my JH13 has the faceplate at an angle after I insert it. The fit is good I suppose, not pushing against anything but I'm always reminded of their presence so it's not ultra comfortable. The angled insertion makes it quite hard to take the left side out since I can't just twist it.

As far as the sound of the JH13, I like it and a pretty good improvement from what I had. I just went to a conference where they had some really nice subwoofer putting out massive bass, and the sound of the the stick hitting the drum from the speaker is so real I don't think any IEM can even touch it. Every time the bass hit, I felt like I was the drum with both my ear drum and the air in my lungs vibrating.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #12,549 of 16,931
  The Miles Davis Trumpets as well as the Monster Turbine Pro Gold are on sale at Visions Electronics for 98$ and I was considering getting a pair.

Is it a great value at this price. The Coppers are sold out, but they might restock. I was wondering for that price which model I should go with. Coming from the SE215, i expect something that has about the same bass quantity, but slightly tighter. I also prefer something that has more soundstage. I mostly listen to classical and hiphop and I would really appreciate any kind of feedback on which of the 3 models to pick. I'm leaning more towards the Trumpets but I'm worried that the sound might be too neutral, avoiding extremes as you mentioned in your review. 

Could you recommend one that has those but sounds just as "fun" as the se215

These days I don't recommend the Monster IEMs at retail price at all. $98 makes them a pretty decent value, though. I think all Monster earphones are fun-sounding to an extent but the Trumpet is my overall favorite - it's brighter than the SE215 but that's not a bad thing in my book. Bass is thumpy, definitely sufficient for me. Maybe a touch less deep than the SE215 but not hugely so.  

To the people that have custom IEM, I have some questions:

1) How much isolation do you get with a proper fit? Are you able to clearly hear people next to you talk? If you walk around on the street, are the noises all very dim or just slightly dim? 

I tried my JH13 for a week and it seems the isolation varies greatly between the type of sound that's around me. If someone stands in front of me and talk to me, I can hear them clearly. Sometimes even standing several feet away I can hear people's voice clearly. But sounds like plane engine are greatly reduced.

2) Is it normal to have the faceplate of the CIEM not vertical to the ground after I insert it?

The left size of my JH13 has the faceplate at an angle after I insert it. The fit is good I suppose, not pushing against anything but I'm always reminded of their presence so it's not ultra comfortable. The angled insertion makes it quite hard to take the left side out since I can't just twist it.

As far as the sound of the JH13, I like it and a pretty good improvement from what I had. I just went to a conference where they had some really nice subwoofer putting out massive bass, and the sound of the the stick hitting the drum from the speaker is so real I don't think any IEM can even touch it. Every time the bass hit, I felt like I was the drum with both my ear drum and the air in my lungs vibrating.

Careful with the lungs there, might have earphone naysayers coming up with new health risks of IEM use...

Isolation really depends on how tight the molds are in your ears and how far they extend into your ear canal. Most of my customs isolate about as much as well-isolating universals. If you don't have music playing you should hear most of the sounds around you, albeit at a somewhat reduced volume. The reduction does vary with type of noise.

Not sure about the faceplates - I don't look at myself wearing my customs much but as far as I can tell they're mostly symmetric. I can do the rotation pretty easily to insert/remove except with silicone sets. Everyone's ears are different, though.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #12,550 of 16,931

I haven't tried the Noble universals. The Noble 4S is IMO more accurate than the SD-2 - brighter and more energetic. It's a lot more Etymotic-like than the SD-2 and also has advantages in clarity, resolution, imaging, etc. The SD-2 has a slight advantage in bass depth but that's about it. But again, this is compared to the $999 Noble 4S and I'm not sure how that compares to the universal version. 

I see, thanks. How does the sd-2 stack up to the ck100 which is the main iem i'm using now.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12,552 of 16,931
I'm actually really digging the GR07-BE too, it's more serious sounding, more true to the original sound, and the bass IMO is perfect not muddy at all and very full. I tried using the foam tips and it works better than any other tips (I think my ears can only take foam tips). Because of the longer nozzle it fits into my ear canal easier than the W3 (which has a tubby body preventing further insertion). The isolation is actually much better than the gel tips with the foam tips, I would say very close to W3's levels (4.5/5), better than the S4's (3.5/5), maybe a 4/5 with the foam tips. It plays perfectly with my Magni, no noise floor at all. I'm beginning to understand what's all the fuss surrounding the GR07 is about. I can't stop appreciating how well the cable is made, the material feels very high end and the red/silver stripes has a good taste.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #12,553 of 16,931
  I see, thanks. How does the sd-2 stack up to the ck100 which is the main iem i'm using now.

Very different signature - the CK100 rolls off in the bass region and has pretty bright "audio-technica" treble, as well as forward mids. The SD-2 has extended bass, the mids are not at all forward, and the treble is a little relaxed.

Just out of curiosity joker how many IEMs do you currently own?

About 120

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #12,554 of 16,931
Jan 4, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #12,555 of 16,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back