Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #12,137 of 16,931
After your glowing review I placed it in my "Save for Later" cart on Amazon. When I saw the price change notification, I immediately pulled the trigger. Excited to get them in 2 days with Prime shipping!

I'd be curious as to your thoughts. Hopefully I'm not crazy with these - the few people who did buy them on my recommendation (at full price) seemed pleased, but there's certainly no hype or buzz or whatnot, which is almost too bad. I still use these with my phone because the MH1C's cable bugs me.  

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #12,139 of 16,931
Hello,

I'm looking for an IEM that has a slightly stronger bass emphasis than the W4R, neutral mids and a slightly lower treble peak. Any suggestions?

I used to own the GR07 BEs and have been thinking about re-buying them. I see VSONIC, however, has a new line up coming so I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on them again.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #12,140 of 16,931
Hello,

I'm looking for an IEM that has a slightly stronger bass emphasis than the W4R, neutral mids and a slightly lower treble peak. Any suggestions?

I used to own the GR07 BEs and have been thinking about re-buying them. I see VSONIC, however, has a new line up coming so I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on them again.

What is your budget and are you looking for universal or custom IEM?

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #12,141 of 16,931
Oh, sorry... my budget is $350 and would rather stick to universals.

I have, howevever, been reading up on the custom 1964-Qs at the $500 range.

I'm looking for an IEM with a similar sound to that of my newly acquired SRH1540 for on the go. So, all suggestions under the $500 range will be greatly appreciated, both universal and custom.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #12,142 of 16,931
I'm looking for a comparable replacement for my Phonak PFE 022s, I had the grey filters but I much preferred the green.  Phonak is no longer manufacturing these (sad).
- The bass was just about perfect for me, I wouldn't want to go much less than the PFE 012/022, but I don't need to go a ton more either
- I would like a bit bigger sound stage, but this is ancillary
- Comfort was amazing, this is huge for me
- Mic/ + 1-button control was very handy
- I got VERY little fatigue from these, I am prone to fatigue when the highs are too pronounced.
- I've grown to prefer over-the-ear
- Looking to spend $100ish

I'm waiting to hear some reviews on the HiSound BA100.  I know that's in the queue, so I'll be patient.  If anyone has heard the PFE 022's and knows of a similar off the top of their head, I would love to hear your recommendations.

If it helps, I went back to listening to my Xears TD II 100 Titans, and my ears are mourning the loss of my PFE 022's.

I've been a long-time lurker here, and I love this thread, I've been sending people to it for years now, so thanks for that Joker.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #12,143 of 16,931
I just want to bestow a HUGE thank you for making this thread. Working my way through it but wow - just unbelievably enlightening. Thank you for helping this luddite up his game dramatically. 

--Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #12,144 of 16,931
  Hello,

There aren't many details available on the new VSonic lineup yet. The performance of the upcoming sets is still a total mystery.

Sounds like GR07 BE is still a good choice for you, especially at the current $130 price. The only alternative I can think of with neutral mids and bass qty similar to the VSonics is the Philips Fidelio S2, which I don't really recommend over the GR07s now that the GR07s are down to $130.

I'm looking for a comparable replacement for my Phonak PFE 022s, I had the grey filters but I much preferred the green.  Phonak is no longer manufacturing these (sad).
- The bass was just about perfect for me, I wouldn't want to go much less than the PFE 012/022, but I don't need to go a ton more either
- I would like a bit bigger sound stage, but this is ancillary
- Comfort was amazing, this is huge for me
- Mic/ + 1-button control was very handy
- I got VERY little fatigue from these, I am prone to fatigue when the highs are too pronounced.
- I've grown to prefer over-the-ear
- Looking to spend $100ish

I'm waiting to hear some reviews on the HiSound BA100.  I know that's in the queue, so I'll be patient.  If anyone has heard the PFE 022's and knows of a similar off the top of their head, I would love to hear your recommendations.

If it helps, I went back to listening to my Xears TD II 100 Titans, and my ears are mourning the loss of my PFE 022's.

I've been a long-time lurker here, and I love this thread, I've been sending people to it for years now, so thanks for that Joker.

The PFE was one of the best earphones in that price range so it's not going to be easy to match.

The BA100 has much more in common with a gray-filtered PFE than a green-filtered one, so it's not a good fit for you. Your best bet might be the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear Pro that's currently on sale for $75 (normally $120 or so). It's still a little more neutral than the 022 (green filters) but the bass quantity shouldn't be far behind and it's got the right form factor and feature set for you, plus very smooth treble. 

Other options would be
-Shure SE215 - over-the-ear form factor, mic available as optional accessory, but has more bass than 022 and isn't quite as comfortable for me
-SteelSeries Flux (non-Pro) - these have the right amount of bass (more than the Flux Pro, a little more than the PFE022) but have a conventional form factor (can be worn over-the-ear, but not as easily as the Flux Pro) and a slightly more v-shaped sound to them. They're just $25 on sale right now, though
-Sony MH1C - better signature match than SE215 with even smoother treble but again might be too bassy for you, like the Shures, and can't really be worn over-the-ear

I just want to bestow a HUGE thank you for making this thread. Working my way through it but wow - just unbelievably enlightening. Thank you for helping this luddite up his game dramatically. 

--Dan

Glad the thread is coming in handy 
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #12,145 of 16,931
Wait you don't wear your Shures over the ear? I know they're different but I assume the shells are the same from the 215 to the 535 - I feel like the only way to wear those is over. Heck even on my old EC2s I'd wear them over. 

Also - where does Shure come up with the "37db" isolation nonsense from? Don't get me wrong, I love my 535s, but I find it impossible to believe that they do a better job of isolating than any CIEM would (which we all know is on the order of ~26db).

--Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #12,146 of 16,931
Wait you don't wear your shure's over the ear? I know they're different but I assume the shells are the same from the 215 to the 535 - I feel like the only way to wear those if over. Heck even on my old EC2s I'd wear them over. 

Also - where the heck does Shure come up with the "37db" isolation nonsense from? Don't get me wrong, I love my 535s, but I find it impossible to believe that they do a better job of isolating than any CIEM would (which we all know is on the order of ~26db).

--Dan

Read it again, slowly.

They're probably quoting their measurements and that's their peak value. Just an example; if they reach 37dB of attenuation on let's say 4kHz, the isolation down at 125Hz might be "only" 28dB. And a semi hollow acrylic shell should not give the same isolation as a pretty solid shell with triple flanges or compact foam. Those two should attenuate more.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #12,147 of 16,931
Read it again, slowly.

They're probably quoting their measurements and that's their peak value. Just an example; if they reach 37dB of attenuation on let's say 4kHz, the isolation down at 125Hz might be "only" 28dB. And a semi hollow acrylic shell should not give the same isolation as a pretty solid shell with triple flanges or compact foam. Those two should attenuate more.

Totally spot on and I can't believe that I'm suffering from the same complex I dislike in others: not reading far enough into the material. 

Although I have no experience with CIEMs (yet) and I don't have a background in material science - the idea that foam (which is naturally pretty airy) or flanges (again, thin material on the actual flange) would attentuate more than a custom-fit and molded shell seems unintuitive to me. If that is the case, it makes me seriously reconsider the entire premise of CIEMs (isolation is a big factor to me). My annoyance with holding my IEMs in while I wait for the foam to expand seems like it's not worth upgrading to the convenience of how quickly CIEMs can be placed in if the overall attentuation is better with the foam/flange on universals.

--Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #12,148 of 16,931
Just by guessing I would say that foam and acrylic shells have different attenuation profiles and could also create different bone conductions so that they sound a bit different when you have them in? Or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, think of sound attenuation the same way you do about dressing children when it's cold.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #12,149 of 16,931
Just by guessing I would say that foam and acrylic shells have different attenuation profiles and could also create different bone conductions so that they sound a bit different when you have them in? Or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, think of sound attenuation the same way you do about dressing children when it's cold.

Can't speak to the first part because I just don't know (but good thinking - I know who to ask). As for the kids thing - I don't get it? Forgive me for being obtuse, too young to have kids (well, too immature anyway).

--Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #12,150 of 16,931
The important part about isolation is to keep the air still. Not letting anything in and not letting anything out. With clothes it's best done with layers upon layers. In iems I would say it's also done with layers, completed with air that's standing still between the layers (triple flanges) or using something that's soft enough to absorb sound pressure waves but yet has enough structural integrity to not be compressed to the point that it conveys the pressure wave. (I hope that my English is adequate to describe this. It's all clear in my head but I fear it's less coherent when it reaches yours...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back