Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #12,286 of 16,931
Hi joker,
Short comparison please between Vsonic VC1000 vs. Custom Art Music One - is it upgrade from VC1000 or "just" something else?. Thanks.
Own the VC1000 and I really like its sound signature. Never had CIEM.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #12,288 of 16,931
  So DBA-02 is the only option? Anything better than DBA-02?

There's lots of other options but I'm not familiar enough with the DT880 to say any of them are better for you with confidence. The DBA-02 is a nice earphone with a fast and clear sound and plenty of treble energy. However, if you think the bass slam of the 880 is something you'll miss dearly you might be better off with a GR07 or Philips S2. 

5. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. To the contrary, yours are symptoms of a sanity that most of us here can't even faintly remember. Forget about trying flac and looking for more complex songs to help you spot minute differences in sound quality. That will only make you listen more to gear and less to music. Just return those SS Flux and enjoy what you have. There's still time for you to run and never look back. Good luck! 
wink.gif

Right you are, I guess I'm too far gone
wink.gif

@ljokerl @others

Guys I have been UE-600 from four months, however I planning to move onto my next headphone. I've shortlisted Hifiman 400 Waterline and Rock-it 50 based on your reviews here. I have following questions in my mind, could you please help me deciding.

1. I like clear highs and mid in UE600. They were perfect to my taste. Bass was tight but slightly less deep than I would prefer. Since Hifiman 400  has dynamic driver, I'm little worried about moving from BA driver. What difference in sound should I expect when moving from UE600 to Hifiman 400?

2. Rockit 50 seems overall good in review but there is 20$ difference in Hifiman 400 and Rockit 50. Is that leap worth it? Second what difference I will feel coming from UE600.

3. I generally listen classical rock any other recommendations for me apart from these headphones? I live in India and I have found only Hifiman and Rockit which deliver headphones in India.

At last, I would like to thank you for all your effort and time you put here to help everyone. You are a legend sir.

Regards,
Mangat Rai Modi

I wouldn't worry about moving from BA to dynamic in this case. I actually preferred the bass of the RE-400 - it is just as controlled as that of the UE600 but has a more natural presence with better note weight. Midrange clarity is pretty similar but the RE-400 is more balanced overall. The presentation of the UE600 also lacks some depth in comparison. Overall I think the RE-400 is a good reasonably-priced option coming from the UE600.

The Rock-It R-50 is brighter than both, especially in the stock configuration. Not sure it's what you're after but it's less of a direct UE600 upgrade than the RE-400.

Hi joker,
Short comparison please between Vsonic VC1000 vs. Custom Art Music One - is it upgrade from VC1000 or "just" something else?. Thanks.
Own the VC1000 and I really like its sound signature. Never had CIEM.

More of an alternative.

Overall, the VC1000 sounds leaner, a bit clearer as a result, and its bass is a little tighter. The Music One has more bass weight and warmer tone but both are pretty close to neutral. Note presentation is a little thicker and more natural with the Music One and it has more emphasis on its midrange and less on treble. It also sounds a little more forgiving as a result. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #12,289 of 16,931
So I finally received my Audioquest Dragonfly. Upon the first listen there really isn't much of a difference compared to my Musiland Monitor 01 US. Best I can tell is the bass is punchier(attack is more prominent) and the overall clarity is pretty much the same. My questions is this: would a JH13 benefit from the low output impedance of the Dragonfly? Musiland lists the 01 with 100 ohm impedance (kinda high?). The Dragonfly has that annoying problem of pops when the laptop processor changes speed, a lot more often than the Musiland.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #12,291 of 16,931

There's lots of other options but I'm not familiar enough with the DT880 to say any of them are better for you with confidence. The DBA-02 is a nice earphone with a fast and clear sound and plenty of treble energy. However, if you think the bass slam of the 880 is something you'll miss dearly you might be better off with a GR07 or Philips S2.

Among your recommendation for below IEMs:

1) Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio ($108)
2) VSonic GR07 ($179)
3) VSonic GR07 MK2 ($169)
4) Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII ($196)
5) Fischer Audio DBA-02 ($???)

Which IEM has the best in term of the most detail and mid range?
In another word, I can hear many details which I cound not possible hear with ordinary IEM?

In the case of VSonic & Ficher Audio, is there any different in sound for those IEM with and without "MK2" or "MK II"?

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #12,292 of 16,931
  So I finally received my Audioquest Dragonfly. Upon the first listen there really isn't much of a difference compared to my Musiland Monitor 01 US. Best I can tell is the bass is punchier(attack is more prominent) and the overall clarity is pretty much the same. My questions is this: would a JH13 benefit from the low output impedance of the Dragonfly? Musiland lists the 01 with 100 ohm impedance (kinda high?). The Dragonfly has that annoying problem of pops when the laptop processor changes speed, a lot more often than the Musiland.

100 ohm output impedance? Are you sure? That's poor design by any measure, but especially unsuitable for Balanced Armature IEMs. 

Seems like nice alternative. I'll call the audiologist today for appointment. Thanks

Enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Among your recommendation for below IEMs:

1) Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio ($108)
2) VSonic GR07 ($179)
3) VSonic GR07 MK2 ($169)
4) Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII ($196)
5) Fischer Audio DBA-02 ($???)

Which IEM has the best in term of the most detail and mid range?
In another word, I can hear many details which I cound not possible hear with ordinary IEM?

In the case of VSonic & Ficher Audio, is there any different in sound for those IEM with and without "MK2" or "MK II"?

For the VSonic GR07 you want the mkII - it's a little less sibilant from what I understand (and based on my experience with the GR07BE).

For Fischer it depends on the price difference (as far as I know they don't make the mkI anymore but you can buy it as the Brainwavz B2). I tend to favor the DBA-02 mkII for its sturdier build and more compact/comfortable form factor.

Anyway, the GR07 and S2 put the bass a bit ahead of the mids so if you want to prioritize midrange go for one of the DBA-02 variations. The Brainwavz B2 might be significantly cheaper than the Fischer version. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #12,293 of 16,931
100 Ohms seems right. I suppose it's mainly designed to be used as a DAC feeding an amp. So the Dragonfly would be better for your purpose and also smaller which (at least to me) could be the final argument to throw it into the cpu case.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #12,294 of 16,931
can you do me a fidelio s1 and re-400 shoot out ? which one is better when it comes to sq ?

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #12,295 of 16,931
100 ohm output impedance? Are you sure? That's poor design by any measure, but especially unsuitable for Balanced Armature IEMs. 

Enjoy! :beerchug:

For the VSonic GR07 you want the mkII - it's a little less sibilant from what I understand (and based on my experience with the GR07BE).

For Fischer it depends on the price difference (as far as I know they don't make the mkI anymore but you can buy it as the Brainwavz B2). I tend to favor the DBA-02 mkII for its sturdier build and more compact/comfortable form factor.

Anyway, the GR07 and S2 put the bass a bit ahead of the mids so if you want to prioritize midrange go for one of the DBA-02 variations. The Brainwavz B2 might be significantly cheaper than the Fischer version. 

Among these IEMs, which one has less fatigue to the ear and also the most comfortable to wear for a long time like 2 to 3 hrs nonstop?

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #12,296 of 16,931
Among these IEMs, which one has less fatigue to the ear and also the most comfortable to wear for a long time like 2 to 3 hrs nonstop?

Depends on a few factors like the source and/or files you'll be using, type of music and if you're sensitive to treble.  I've not heard the B2/DBA-02 but I understand most TWFK-based IEMs tend to be on the brighter side.  I can speak on the GR07 MKII though, and it does have a tendency to be harsh/sibilant depending on what you're listening to primarily.  I know the GR07 is quite comfortable and I can have them in for 3+ hours with no issues, and I imagine similar can be said with the B2/DBA-02 as well, but again it could be dependent on what sleeves work best for you.  The GR07 will have more bass and thus be warmer comparatively, but the B2/DBA-02 reportedly has the upper hand in clarity and resolution with more forward midrange comparatively...but either will be quite neutral in general in the grand scheme.

Perhaps you may also want to consider the HiFiMan RE-400?  It may not have quite the prominence, resolution or be as analytical in the treble but it is still well extended and would likely be less fatiguing (certainly when compared to the GR07 MKII in some cases).  The midrange is very pleasing, present and detailed and the bass is also well extended and gives them a sense of warmth without overshadowing anything...very coherent  sound if you ask me.  The midrange is special on these for sure, and they remain very transparent...probably not on the level of the B2/DBA-02 but still really impressive.  If you are concerned with listening fatigue, this would be my first recommendation.  Otherwise, the GR07 is probably more comfortable physically.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #12,297 of 16,931
  Hi there, 
Anybody heard , about fake Yamaha EPH-100? 

Quote:
  I couldn't find anything specific but I suspect I may have one (purchased used) - there's something odd about it with the finish and strain reliefs so I'm curious if that is the case.  I just ordered another from a different seller with full retail packaging and will compare the two and post impressions here.

To follow up on this as I've received my new pair, I think what I originally got was indeed a fake.  Even at a short distance they look almost identical, but I've got an eye for detail and there was just something off even comparing them to pictures others have taken.  I don't know if there was a change in how the EPH-100 is made but I couldn't find anything on that.  I've got a small comparison so others can see what I mean (and I'll post this to the EPH-100 thread as well):

http://imgur.com/a/7fsiE

I placed a red F next to the suspected fake pair - here are a few points in the visual comparison:

- In the first picture, the nozzles look different but I think that is just a fingerpint 
tongue.gif
 - size wise they are pretty identical.
- The aluminum shell appears to be CNC routed as per usual but the grooves are more apparent.  The real one seems more finished...if you look very closely you can see that it has very fine grooves from when it was made but it appears to have been polished smooth afterwards.
- The strain reliefs are a bit smaller/softer on the alleged fake, and the cable has a slightly smaller diameter and is a bit softer with the real one being stiffer.  TRS plugs and y-split look identical.
- The printing is a bit lighter, slightly off center in the case of the logo.
- The driver mesh seems to be woven and more transparent so you can see the reflection of the driver beneath on the fake.  The real one which appears to be a single perforated cover with the driver not visible beneath, so most likely the drivers are completely different.  The driver mesh is also a bit off/crooked when viewed at an angle.

I don't have any in depth listening results at this point, but after trying the real pair for about 15 minutes it seems apparent this is what they should sound like.  I'll try to do an A-B comparison later today but I'm sending the other pair back tomorrow.  It's a shame, but my advice is to always buy from a reputable dealer or head-fier, especially if you get anything used.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #12,298 of 16,931
To follow up on this as I've received my new pair, I think what I originally got was indeed a fake.  Even at a short distance they look almost identical, but I've got an eye for detail and there was just something off even comparing them to pictures others have taken.  I don't know if there was a change in how the EPH-100 is made but I couldn't find anything on that.  I've got a small comparison so others can see what I mean (and I'll post this to the EPH-100 thread as well):

Interesting reading (and pictures), thanks for sharing.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #12,299 of 16,931
Hi Folks, 

Just a quick question. I am in the UK and am getting my new portable rig sorted for Christmas.

It should be something like this Note 3 -> USBOTG -> Microstreamer (or alternative) -> IEM's. However I am struggling what IEM's to go for. I am in the UK and we seem to have a few good deals available at the moment. I have Sony MH1C at the moment, which I like, but too warm for my liking. My home set-up is Grado SR-80i's (vent modded) and I love the forward sound, so I would ideally like something similar to the Grado sound, I have read that the Microstreamer can be a bit bright though. These are my options at the moment:

Super.fi 5vi @ £32 
RE-400's @ £78
Brainwavz B2 @ £86
Rock IT R50 @ £75
Sony XBA-H1 @ £78

I see Joker gave the Super.fi 5's an 8.6 for sound quality, so going by that £32 seems to be a bargain. But do you think that the B2's or R50's are going to be a lot better (baring in mind the price difference)?
I can also get the Sony XBA-3ip's for £104, which seems a good deal for triple armature, that's really at the top of my budget though, as the Microstreamer is £170. Any help making a choice would be fantastic. I listen to a broad range of music, from rock to reggae. 

Thanks in advance folks, and happy Christmas, 

Jim

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #12,300 of 16,931
I think getting a Microstreamer for £170 and pairing with £50-100 iems will most likely not give you the best sound quality you can for your money. I originally bought my S4 just because of the ability to use USB-sound out to a DAC. I just found it to be too much of a hassle. And my Apex Glacier doesn't work with my S4. Anyway. I would go ahead and get some iems that suit you first. Put in as much as you feel is appropriate. Pairing a pair of £32 S.fi 5vi with a £170 microstreamer will most likely sound worse than buying a pair of UE900, W4 or similar.

The R-50 with comply tips (Ts) are awesome btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back