Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #11,416 of 16,931
Hi Joker.

According to your review, VSonic GR07 Bass Ed. is suitable for me. There is just one little question: Can I get a high output amount of sound and completely drive it with iPod Touch 5thG? I love listening to music in high volume, and when usuing Klipsch S4, the volume is increased to 90 percent. Can I get the same amount of sound when usuing GR07 Bass Ed. with 100 percent of iPod Touch 5thG volume?

Best Regards

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #11,417 of 16,931
project86 wrote that Cosmic Ears BA4R is very similar to Etys ER4 sound signature.

joker, when can we expect your first impressions on CA Music One?

Well, I just got them this week. So far they seem to have good bandwidth for a single driver. The tone is neutral to slightly warm and it's got a thicker sound than most single BAs and more bass as well. Compared it to the GR07 and the treble is smoother/less sibilant and the midrange is clearer and more prominent. The presentation is good, too. 

It's also got my favorite build of all the silicone customs I've come across. Very low profile and the cable, even though it's not detachable, is excellent quality. 

Thanks.
After some research I have narrowed down to these 3 - MH1C, GR02 and E30
Which one of them is best suited for rock music ?

I would go for the MH1C. It's not my preferred signature but out of those it's the most well-rounded, and it still sounds pretty great overall. 

Hi Joker,

I don't seem to be able to get a great fit with any over-the-ear IEMs for any length of time.  I have larger size ear canals and lose the seal frequently. Even the GR-07's adjustable nozzle only helps so much.

I have much better luck with IEMs like the XBA-3 and HF3 that can be worn straight down.

Any suggestions for IEMs that provide the best combination of sound quality and comfort, that can be worn cable down?

Ideally, I am looking for a "natural" sound signature, rather than strictly neutral, with some low-end extension and good treble. Timbre important. (I think I would like it if the W4 and PFE232 had a baby 
smile.gif
) Cost not necessarily a factor.

Thanks!

There's not a whole lot of cable-down options in the higher price tiers. What did you think was missing from the HF3, i.e. what changes would you like from your upgrade compared to the Etys? 

The PFE232 is v-shaped while the W4 is pretty well-balanced, maybe a touch rolled-off. A combination of the two would be mildly v-shaped, like a TF10 or something. But obviously the TF10 can't be worn over-the-ear (and generally isn't all that comfortable).

I currently have the VSonic VC02's and a month ago or so one of the ears stopped working, they were still in warranty so I sent them out, and got a new pair
and that pair broke yesterday, one of the ears stopped working again!
I have been storing the VC02's with the cable detached because they detach WAY to easily and it was just easier, and I thought maybe because of that,
and the fact that it has been quite humid here lately, it probably damaged the connector, and that's why it won't play anymore.

Have you experienced this?
Is this kind of thing normal?
Should I send them out again and maybe tape it so it can't detach?

Thanks for your help in advance.

My VC02 is fine. Did you ever hear back RE: what went wrong with the first pair? That would probably go a ways towards figuring out how to stop it from happening again.

Hi Joker.

According to your review, VSonic GR07 is suitable for me. There is just one little question: Can I get a high output amount of sound and completely drive it with iPod Touch 5thG? I love listening to music in high volume, and when usuing Klipsch S4, the volume is increased to 90 percent. Can I get the same amount of sound when usuing GR07 Bass Ed. with 100 percent of iPod Touch 5thG volume?

Best Regards

Is your iPod volume limited? Because if it isn't, you're almost certainly damaging your hearing by running the S4 at 90% volume. The GR07 is less efficient than the S4, but only slightly. It should be able to match the S4 with the 10% headroom you have left. It will also damage your hearing. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #11,419 of 16,931
I like the Meelectronics M9 but dislike the cable because it kinks and has a very hard memory character to it. Are there some IEMs in that price range that are better cabled, maybe something like flat cables?

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #11,421 of 16,931
If possible, I would like to hear your thoughts on comparison between M1 and ER4s

M1 to me means Brainwavz M1. Let's call the Custom Art the "Music One". Based on a short A:B, I'm finding the Music One fuller and warmer than the ER4S. The bass is weightier but the overall sound still seems more mid-centric. The treble is more forgiving. The ER4S sounds leaner and a bit clearer overall. Overall SQ is pretty close.

I like the Meelectronics M9 but dislike the cable because it kinks and has a very hard memory character to it. Are there some IEMs in that price range that are better cabled, maybe something like flat cables?

You mean like this newer M9?

No one told me what happened to them, I just got a new pair delivered.

Hmm... not sure then. The connectors are all gold-plated so if they got layer of something over them because of the humidity you should have been able to wipe/polish them off. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #11,422 of 16,931
The MEElec M6 mentioned above is a good cheap option. I don't really recommend buying non-sport earphones even if they sound better because it's not clear how they will hold up to sweat, etc. However, I've seen some good feedback on the soundmagic E30 being used for sports and I used my older soundmagic PL30 at the gym for years, so I'd make an exception for that. It lacks the memory wire of the M6 but has a more hi-fi sound to it and still doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

Would the VSonic VSD1S be better than these for jogging?  I saw that they come with over-ear hooks.

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #11,423 of 16,931
Hmm... not sure then. The connectors are all gold-plated so if they got layer of something over them because of the humidity you should have been able to wipe/polish them off. 

I just tried them, since the humidty is gone in the area they seem to work now, do you have any tips for storing them?
Because they disconnect really really easily..

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #11,424 of 16,931

There's not a whole lot of cable-down options in the higher price tiers. What did you think was missing from the HF3, i.e. what changes would you like from your upgrade compared to the Etys? 

The PFE232 is v-shaped while the W4 is pretty well-balanced, maybe a touch rolled-off. A combination of the two would be mildly v-shaped, like a TF10 or something. But obviously the TF10 can't be worn over-the-ear (and generally isn't all that comfortable).

I had the TF10 awhile back...but sold it due to comfort issues.

I LOVE the HF3 and absolutely plan on keeping it...but I am looking for something a little warmer, more enveloping soundstage, weightier bass this time.

I am using the W4 mod suggested by Rin/Inks, which extends the treble nicely. This is close to perfect, except for the fit.

I like the bass of the PFE232 and also the airy treble. But I wish the mids were a little smoother, and had a tiny bit more weight, prominence to make vocals sound less thin.
I was thinking the K3003 might be a possibility at the high end, assuming the cable down fit works ok. Does that make sense?  (Of course, any lower cost possibilities would be great too!)

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #11,425 of 16,931
  Would the VSonic VSD1S be better than these for jogging?  I saw that they come with over-ear hooks.

They do come with earhooks, but they're not designed for sports use. No idea if they'll stand up to sweat and, if they do not, whether the warranty cover that. 

I just tried them, since the humidty is gone in the area they seem to work now, do you have any tips for storing them?
Because they disconnect really really easily..

The included pouch is not good so I just use a generic clamshell case. I've never had them come apart while in the case. 

I had the TF10 awhile back...but sold it due to comfort issues.

I LOVE the HF3 and absolutely plan on keeping it...but I am looking for something a little warmer, more enveloping soundstage, weightier bass this time.

I am using the W4 mod suggested by Rin/Inks, which extends the treble nicely. This is close to perfect, except for the fit.

I like the bass of the PFE232 and also the airy treble. But I wish the mids were a little smoother, and had a tiny bit more weight, prominence to make vocals sound less thin.
I was thinking the K3003 might be a possibility at the high end, assuming the cable down fit works ok. Does that make sense?  (Of course, any lower cost possibilities would be great too!)

I prefer to wear the K3003 over-the-ear. The point where the cable exits the housings hurts my ear when I wear them cable down. However, there just aren't a lot of other cable-down options among top-tier IEMs - I can probably count them all on my fingers.  I guess the Senn IE 800 would be an option also - it might have too much bass but its mids are not as thin and definitely not as recessed as those of the PFEs.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #11,426 of 16,931
I may be able to get MH1C (white one) quite cheap, for around 1k rs (16usd). I wanted to know if there is any way differentiate between a legit and a fake ?

Also would MH1C be compatible with my Samsung Wave 525 ?

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #11,428 of 16,931
  I may be able to get MH1C (white one) quite cheap, for around 1k rs (16usd). I wanted to know if there is any way differentiate between a legit and a fake ?

Are there fakes of the MH1C? I don't think there are but you might want to ask in the long MH1C thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/

Also would MH1C be compatible with my Samsung Wave 525 ?

Never heard of it.

Joker what would you suggest as an upgrade to the fx101 keeping similar bass response? Doesn't matter if it loses or keeps it's bright treble.

There's only a few things I've tried with that much impact. Currently I would go for this if I were you: 
http://www.padacs.com/cart/product.php?id=72 . I reviewed them at $50 and though they were quite good for massive bass. Now they're $10. They are very similar to the massively bassy TFTA earphones that were popular for a while and cost something like $150. The housings are large and you might need some better tips but I think for $10 they'll be tough to beat.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #11,430 of 16,931
That's correct. The NT 6 improves on the ER4S with much better subbass response and more natural, fleshed-out bass overall. Someone asked a similar question here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-295-iems-compared-vsonic-vc1000-added-09-03-13-p-760/11265#post_9729619

Thanks Joker.  I'll keep the NT6 on the back burner for now due to the cost.  I'm going to check with Project86 regarding the Cosmic BA4R.  I'm sure the NT6 is technical superior, but the latter is much more wallet friendly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back