Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #11,312 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker, these PNY I'm still rocking these PNY Midtowns! They sound really good, and they're built surprisingly well. I really like the cable, and the unobtrusive mic.

are you planning on doing a double review on the uptowns and midtown? i'm still considering buying the uptown, although i'm enjoying the midtown 200 a lot.

Agreed, I thought the cable was superb and the fit is great.

I will review them but probably not for a while. The uptown is very similar to the midtown, just has a midrange bump and a touch less midbass for a more balanced sound. Mine also has a 3-button remote (as opposed to the 1-button on the midtown). I never did figure out which was supposed to be the higher-end model. PNY's website lists the midtown at a higher price but has the uptown described as "top of the line". I don't think they got the whole marketing and product placement thing down yet when it comes to earphones.

Quote:
Hey Joker,
Great thread! :)
Wonder where you would ballpark the RE-600? Really interested in this model as a step up to RE-400's.

It's not too different from the RE-400. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you already have the RE-400.

Quote:
It's a re400 with less treble

In a half sentence, yes, but it's a bit more than that when you listen to the two side by side.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,317 of 16,931
Quote:
It's a re400 with less treble

ow_comp.jpg

There is soooo much more that goes into how a particular IEM will sound than just the freq response.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11,319 of 16,931
Even outside of frequency response they're almost the same, the RE600 does have better bass extension but....

Add resistance to the RE400 with a cloth damper and they're completely matched except RE600 is easier to drive so tends to sound a bit more dynamic

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #11,320 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The MH1C and Trident aren’t notably v-shaped IMO. The Quadbeat has some cable noise, though it’s a little better than the MH1C. The EX300 and FX40 are much better in this regard.

How about the VSonic VSD1? It’s v-shaped, but not too v-shaded (reminds me of the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition) and the cable noise isn’t terrible, especially when worn cable-up.

The VSD1s look good but out of my price range. Also I'm not sure if any retailers would be willing to ship to Canada affordably. I ended up being frugal and going with the Philips SHE9700 since I loved my 3580s so much. I also love my Monoprice 8320s and 8323s, and my JVC S400s. So far all the recommendations by Head-Fi has been spot on, now if only I had more petty cash lying around haha.

I may also get a pair of white Quadbeats since I can get those shipped to me for a reasonable rate. Oh how frustrating it is to be Canadian at times.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #11,321 of 16,931
Quote:
is the Brainwavz M5's fit as shallow as the Visang VS-K1?
and how does these two phones' depth-of-insertion compare to the id America Spark?
thank you............

The M5 fit is very similar to the K1. Both are designed to sit more shallowly in the ear than the Spark, I think.

Quote:
joker, what is the best soundstage for < $100 ?
because I want to use it for gaming...

sorry for weird question..

Hmm… I’ve never used an IEM for gaming but I would expect you want soundstage width and good stereo separation. Silver Bullet would be fine. So would an Astrotec AM-800 or even LG Quadbeat if you don't want to spend a whole lot. 

Quote:
Even outside of frequency response they're almost the same, the RE600 does have better bass extension but....

Add resistance to the RE400 with a cloth damper and they're completely matched except RE600 is easier to drive so tends to sound a bit more dynamic

The fun thing about this is that it makes them impossible to A:B properly without volume matching. I don’t have a source for this handy but I remember reading that all other things equal the louder test track is usually found to be “better” in listener tests when the differences are kept to a few decibels.

Quote:

The VSD1s look good but out of my price range. Also I'm not sure if any retailers would be willing to ship to Canada affordably. I ended up being frugal and going with the Philips SHE9700 since I loved my 3580s so much. I also love my Monoprice 8320s and 8323s, and my JVC S400s. So far all the recommendations by Head-Fi has been spot on, now if only I had more petty cash lying around haha.

I may also get a pair of white Quadbeats since I can get those shipped to me for a reasonable rate. Oh how frustrating it is to be Canadian at times.

Never heard the SHE9700 but I hope you like em. 

By the way I'm pretty sure lendmeurears ships to Canada. They're an authorized dealer for VSonic, Atrotec, and a bunch of other Asian brands. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #11,322 of 16,931
The fun thing about this is that it makes them impossible to A:B properly without volume matching. I don’t have a source for this handy but I remember reading that all other things equal the louder test track is usually found to be “better” in listener tests when the differences are kept to a few decibels.

I've definitely noticed this "phenomenon" when I A:B. I try really hard to subjectively volume match, but it's one of the reasons I don't like doing it as much these days.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #11,324 of 16,931
Quote:
i'm debating between the Brainwavz M5 and JVC FXD80... listening mostly to metal and
looking for a shallow fit.
or maybe the Signature Acoustics C-12?
does the FXD80 worth the extra $?

Different signatures but overall the FXD80 sounds vastly better than the M5 unless you just want tons of bass. The C12 is about on-par with the M5, just has a more v-shaped signature vs the more laid-back treble of the M5. Coming from the Spark I think you may miss the treble there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back