Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #707 of 16,931
no sony mdr ex's?
confused_face(1).gif
   I own the mdr ex300s and I just ordered the mdr ex700s

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #709 of 16,931
Quote:
no sony mdr ex's?
confused_face(1).gif
   I own the mdr ex300s and I just ordered the mdr ex700s

No Shures either, apparently

Quote:
I'm wondering if you're interested in the hippo epic's?  especially their epic sparkles.  They look interesting to me.

Interested - yes. But not really enough so to go buy one right this minute. Still, I like what Hippo is doing with their model-for-every-price-range-and-signature approach. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #710 of 16,931
Oh god!  They keep coming.  You crazy person.

i think in the next couple weeks I'm going to be trying out a few of the better earphones I have yet to use, namely the HJE900 and Radius.  I'm still hoping I get my DBA-02 tomorrow.  I'm also waiting on the RE262 to pop up as well as the SA7 whenever that comes out.  I think that will round out my test group through the end of the year, although I'd like to demo the SE535 (not quite willing to buy it) but want a SE530 in hand if I did so as a comparison.  Well, I'm curious about the x-Jayz too which might pop up around x-mas time.  I think I'll stay under the $200 mark for now.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #711 of 16,931
Great update.  I'm sorry if this goes a bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice that you have the CX281 in your possession (courtesy of jant71 I presume 
biggrin.gif
).  Since I've always been somewhat interested in the differences (if any) between the CX280 and the CX281, I'm wondering if you'd be interested in borrowing my pair of CX280's and comparing the two, assuming that you're planning on reviewing the CX281.

Back on topic: if you do ever plan on reviewing a Sony EX, I'd take a look at their just announced EX310, EX510, EX600, or EX1000.  Honestly, I'd be quite surprised if anybody here at Head-Fi will go for the $730 EX1000.
basshead.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #712 of 16,931
Wow! This thread has grown a lot even since June, I think there were about 65 earphones back then. Thanks for the dedication to the cause. I was very interested reading your impressions of the H20 surge. I bought the Surge mini pro for use on the water over the summer and was very impressed after being very sceptical at first. They have proved to be every bit as water/bulletproof as H20 claim and they sound good too!

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #713 of 16,931
Quote:
Great update.  I'm sorry if this goes a bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice that you have the CX281 in your possession (courtesy of jant71 I presume 
biggrin.gif
).  Since I've always been somewhat interested in the differences (if any) between the CX280 and the CX281, I'm wondering if you'd be interested in borrowing my pair of CX280's and comparing the two, assuming that you're planning on reviewing the CX281.

Back on topic: if you do ever plan on reviewing a Sony EX, I'd take a look at their just announced EX310, EX510, EX600, or EX1000.  Honestly, I'd be quite surprised if anybody here at Head-Fi will go for the $730 EX1000.
basshead.gif

Yep, the CX281 is jant's and I do plan to review it. It's a surprisingly good earphone - an improvement on the already-decent CX250. Just hope the price stay at $25-30. It won't compete well at the $50-70 suggested price point. I'll PM you about the 280.

I have a Sony XB40EX on the way since that's been one of the more-requested in-ears. I saw the new Sonys and can't believe they kept the silly vertical driver design. I can't be the only one that finds it less than comfortable. Still, would be nice to have another top-dog dynamic (or two) around. 

Quote:
Wow! This thread has grown a lot even since June, I think there were about 65 earphones back then. Thanks for the dedication to the cause. I was very interested reading your impressions of the H20 surge. I bought the Surge mini pro for use on the water over the summer and was very impressed after being very sceptical at first. They have proved to be every bit as water/bulletproof as H20 claim and they sound good too!

Yeah to be honest my Surge hasn't ceased to amaze me. It's one of my most-used in-ears since it's on exercise duty and the sound signature is just excellent for that. I tried replacing them with the CX281 yesterday and will be switching back to the Surge today. An in-line volume control (a-la CX281) is handy to have but the Surge is more secure, less micrphonic, better-isolating, and better-sounding. And of course sweat-proof. Does the mini sound anything like what I've described with the non-mini surge? H2O claim that it's more balanced which is probably true. Most likely it is more detailed as well, as the glossing over of fine details is what keeps me from calling my surge truly hi-fi.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #715 of 16,931
Quote:
Yep, the CX281 is jant's and I do plan to review it. It's a surprisingly good earphone - an improvement on the already-decent CX250. Just hope the price stay at $25-30. It won't compete well at the $50-70 suggested price point. I'll PM you about the 280.

I have a Sony XB40EX on the way since that's been one of the more-requested in-ears. I saw the new Sonys and can't believe they kept the silly vertical driver design. I can't be the only one that finds it less than comfortable. Still, would be nice to have another top-dog dynamic (or two) around.

Yeah, $50+ is a bit much (especially with the CX280 and its choice of cable), but I feel it's a very respectable effort by a mainstream company.  I think the new CXs fare better in Japan, as well as the UK and other parts of Europe, where they're priced more competitively against their mainstream counterparts.

The XB40EX is interesting in that it's actually marketed as a bass-heavy earphone (like the previous cheaper Sonys weren't...).  I would like to try the EX500 someday, especially if the prices in Japan continue on their downward track as they get phased out.  (Amazon.co.jp currently sells the EX500 for around ¥6000.)  I do worry about their comfort though.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #716 of 16,931

Quote:
Does the mini sound anything like what I've described with the non-mini surge? H2O claim that it's more balanced which is probably true. Most likely it is more detailed as well, as the glossing over of fine details is what keeps me from calling my surge truly hi-fi.

It's quite a fitting description for the mini pro actually although I haven't found bass extension to be much of a weakness in them and the detail is pretty good. I'm not at all sure why h2o included foam tips in the box, they really didn't work for me and with water involved I still think they'd sound worse. I also don't really like the blue cable but that's a marketing ploy. Usability of the mini pro's is about the same as the surge's read as being although the reason I bought the pro over the non-pro apart from they were only £8 more was they looked quite a lot smaller in the shop. I don't know whether the size is an issue with the others but I felt it might be, well, that was my excuse anyway....

The mini-pro's aren't as good as my beyer dtx100 or the ety hf5 but I prefer them to everything else I own.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #717 of 16,931
Thanks, ljokerl, for the superb additions :) The M11+ description is awesome, and judging by your previous reviews, I think I'm going to enjoy them :) I've decided to start saving for buying a pair. I've passed my headphone frontier, having now five pairs in rotation, and probably my wife is going to kill me if I buy a pair of M11+, but I'm more than tempted :D

I'm a bit Meelec fan and if M11+ is less V-shaped than M9 and M6 then I'm going to like them, no matter how bass-heavy are they.

Thanks a lot for your amazing reviews, ljokerl :)

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #718 of 16,931
So what do you think would be a better option for a sleeping earphone between the M1 and PR300. Your descriptions make me think I will like them both. I think the PR300 might be better suited for my preferences however. I currently use the PL30 but don't really like the way they fit although they are comfortable.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #719 of 16,931
Quote:
It's quite a fitting description for the mini pro actually although I haven't found bass extension to be much of a weakness in them and the detail is pretty good. I'm not at all sure why h2o included foam tips in the box, they really didn't work for me and with water involved I still think they'd sound worse. I also don't really like the blue cable but that's a marketing ploy. Usability of the mini pro's is about the same as the surge's read as being although the reason I bought the pro over the non-pro apart from they were only £8 more was they looked quite a lot smaller in the shop. I don't know whether the size is an issue with the others but I felt it might be, well, that was my excuse anyway....

The mini-pro's aren't as good as my beyer dtx100 or the ety hf5 but I prefer them to everything else I own.

Very interesting - perhaps my exercise set does need upgrading after all 
ph34r.gif

Quote:
Thanks, ljokerl, for the superb additions :) The M11+ description is awesome, and judging by your previous reviews, I think I'm going to enjoy them :) I've decided to start saving for buying a pair. I've passed my headphone frontier, having now five pairs in rotation, and probably my wife is going to kill me if I buy a pair of M11+, but I'm more than tempted :D

I'm a bit Meelec fan and if M11+ is less V-shaped than M9 and M6 then I'm going to like them, no matter how bass-heavy are they.

Thanks a lot for your amazing reviews, ljokerl :)

Well, might not want to wait too long since the M11+ is temporarily on sale for $20 off and there's a shipping coupon going around (SHIPPING_COUPON). For $45 the M11+ is admittedly a very good deal. You can tell your wife it's the old M11 and has been heavily discounted :p.

Quote:
So what do you think would be a better option for a sleeping earphone between the M1 and PR300. Your descriptions make me think I will like them both. I think the PR300 might be better suited for my preferences however. I currently use the PL30 but don't really like the way they fit although they are comfortable.

PR300 simply because they are so low-profile. The sound is also a bit less aggressive than that of the M1, though I doubt the sparkle of the M1 would interfere with your sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back