Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 23, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #436 of 16,931
The 250 hours wasn't meant to signify anything other than being sure they were burned in. I just plugged them into a stereo for a few weeks before listening other than right out of the box with the Coppers. Night and day I tell you. I was expecting them to still sound like something I don't like (so no bias in favour there) so that's what nailed it for me.

So yeah, I'm not one of those people who believe in insane burn-in times, it's just because I left them burning in for a few weeks while I reviewed other new equipment.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #437 of 16,931
Good to see you doing your bit for energy conservation.

Quote:
The 250 hours wasn't meant to signify anything other than being sure they were burned in. I just plugged them into a stereo for a few weeks before listening other than right out of the box with the Coppers. Night and day I tell you. I was expecting them to still sound like something I don't like (so no bias in favour there) so that's what nailed it for me.

So yeah, I'm not one of those people who believe in insane burn-in times, it's just because I left them burning in for a few weeks while I reviewed other new equipment.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #440 of 16,931
Quote:
Finally!
I was pretty curious to see how the koss ke29 compared to the marshmallows in your opinion as retail store low budgeters

I suppose it's ironic, then, that the KE29 was the one I screwed up. The chart was right but the score in the review was wrong. Fixed now. And yeah, they're definitely better than unmodded marshmallows (not much to brag about there...). 

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #441 of 16,931
hey joker! Im thinking of upgrading from my current PL30 (the sound signature i really love.. very unfatiguing) to either of 1) Silver bullet (2) Maximo im590 (3) Brainwavz M1.. im assuming all of them have a somewhat similar sound signature and I can sleep in all of them. How much of an upgrade do you think it will be between the three? Will they be comfortable enough to sleep in? thirdly.. how long does mp4nation take to ship the M1?

Edit: Also.. I can consider something you recommend under the$75-80 mark given the above requirements

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #442 of 16,931
Quote:

hey joker! Im thinking of upgrading from my current PL30 (the sound signature i really love.. very unfatiguing) to either of 1) Silver bullet (2) Maximo im590 (3) Brainwavz M1.. im assuming all of them have a somewhat similar sound signature and I can sleep in all of them. How much of an upgrade do you think it will be between the three? Will they be comfortable enough to sleep in? thirdly.. how long does mp4nation take to ship the M1?

Edit: Also.. I can consider something you recommend under the$75-80 mark given the above requirements

Well, keeping in mind I haven't heard the Silver Bullets yet I would say the M1 is a good choice. It does have a somewhat similar signature to the iM-590 but the treble is a little tamer. The M1 is still a relatively bright earphone so if you're extremely sensitive to treble the ViSang R02 might be a better option, since it's smoother at the top (and more rolled off) and has more forward mids. And yeah, it's a sizable upgrade over the PL30. Much crisper and more detailed. As for sleeping - it depends on yours ears. I can sleep in the M1/R02 housings fine but they aren't as flush as earphones like the PL30/PL50/M6. Also you may want to read up on the ThinkSound Rain, though the sleeping requirement rules them out IMO (and I personally prefer the M1 anyway). 

Mp4nation shipping is a bit of a wildcard. On average probably takes around 2.5-3 weeks for delivery but I've had one item take much, much longer.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #443 of 16,931
heh still can't get over that P10 can you :p (I think it was this..I know it was a Sound Magic headphone for sure). Although I'd like to avoid Mp4nation completely if possible since I'm not that patient of a person.

All of these recommendations for the M1 have been tempting me even though I know I don't need another one :)

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #444 of 16,931
Quote:
heh still can't get over that P10 can you :p (I think it was this..I know it was a Sound Magic headphone for sure). Although I'd like to avoid Mp4nation completely if possible since I'm not that patient of a person.

Yeah that's right - the P10. I'm a reasonable person but when a "guaranteed in stock" item takes a full 60 days to leave the warehouse, it sort of sticks in my memory. Of course Mp4nation did bring us the Brainwavz M1 so I'd call it even.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #445 of 16,931
jeez and I thought the 3 weeks my eterna's took was excessively long!

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #446 of 16,931

Forward mids? More KSC-75 like? I don't need agressive sound and I dont like the KSC-75 sound signature.. its fatiguing.. i need earphones to relax at night.. sleep in them etc.. So The M1 would be better or the Visang R02?

Is there no other website that sells the M1?

Thirdly.. the M6 are $20 at buy.com right now.. do you think that's a good upgrade from the PL30s?

My ears are small and i use the smallest foam tips with the PL30s.. so would sleeping in the housings of M1 and R02 be a problem?

I had decided to go with the PL30s on your recommendation and it couldn't have been better.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, keeping in mind I haven't heard the Silver Bullets yet I would say the M1 is a good choice. It does have a somewhat similar signature to the iM-590 but the treble is a little tamer. The M1 is still a relatively bright earphone so if you're extremely sensitive to treble the ViSang R02 might be a better option, since it's smoother at the top (and more rolled off) and has more forward mids. And yeah, it's a sizable upgrade over the PL30. Much crisper and more detailed. As for sleeping - it depends on yours ears. I can sleep in the M1/R02 housings fine but they aren't as flush as earphones like the PL30/PL50/M6. Also you may want to read up on the ThinkSound Rain, though the sleeping requirement rules them out IMO (and I personally prefer the M1 anyway). 

Mp4nation shipping is a bit of a wildcard. On average probably takes around 2.5-3 weeks for delivery but I've had one item take much, much longer.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #447 of 16,931
Well the Brainwavz brand is owned by mp4nation so no, no other place to buy them (except maybe used on the forums).

And no, the R02s don't really sound like KSC75s. The PL30s have slightly forward mids as well and the R02s are similar in that respect. I find the ViSangs to be pretty relaxing in comparison to the M1s, which are a little more sparkly. The M1s are a little smaller in terms of fit but if you have very small ears (not just small ear canals) you probably won't be able to sleep in either.

The M6 is not very relaxing. Strong bass and strong treble. It's a 'fun' signature. Really, the PL30s are pretty unique (which is why many don't like them) and it's hard to upgrade from them. The RE252 would be the natural choice but of course that's pretty high up there in price. Have you considered the PL50? It's wonderful to sleep in and the only area it's beaten by the PL30 in is airiness/soundstage width.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #448 of 16,931
I have smaller ear canals.. I had fit issues with the UHP606.. which used to hurt my ears for some reason and i had to sell them off.
So size wise is the difference enough to make me not consider the ViSangs compared to the M1?

I think I would have to rule out the M6 given that I don't like strong bass which fatigues me.. and i don't think it's going to be as much of an upgrade from the PL30s as the ViSangs or the M1.

I was considering the PL50 but what put me off is the lack of instrument separation and airiness but more importantly the lack of bass on the PL50 which I read is apparent when compared to the PL30s. I really can't do without any less bass than the PL30, which was another reason to sell the UHP606s. Also, I don't know if that's a step up worth the price I'll be paying for the PL50s.

Also, do you think the balanced armature of the PL50s would sound nicer on lower volumes compared to the M1? The PL30s lose out detail on lower volumes.

The deal on the M1 (M1+FiiO E1 for $49.99) is very tempting.
Quote:
Well the Brainwavz brand is owned by mp4nation so no, no other place to buy them (except maybe used on the forums).

And no, the R02s don't really sound like KSC75s. The PL30s have slightly forward mids as well and the R02s are similar in that respect. I find the ViSangs to be pretty relaxing in comparison to the M1s, which are a little more sparkly. The M1s are a little smaller in terms of fit but if you have very small ears (not just small ear canals) you probably won't be able to sleep in either.

The M6 is not very relaxing. Strong bass and strong treble. It's a 'fun' signature. Really, the PL30s are pretty unique (which is why many don't like them) and it's hard to upgrade from them. The RE252 would be the natural choice but of course that's pretty high up there in price. Have you considered the PL50? It's wonderful to sleep in and the only area it's beaten by the PL30 in is airiness/soundstage width.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #449 of 16,931
The difference in size between the M1 and R02 is very small. They use the same housings but the R02 has an added rubber piece that acts as a strain relief and the M2 doesn't. There's a pic of both in my original R02 review thread.

The instrument separation of the PL50 isn't that bad and the bass is present. I've never thought the PL30s had particularly strong bass. Both the PL50 and M1 are quite decent at low the volumes when the PL30 loses detail.

Also I think there's a coupon code to get a free Fiio E3 with the M1 (freee3), not that it's useful in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back