Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #3,661 of 16,931

Quote:
The Miracles come with the blue rectangular case right? I got that with my reshells and I actually like just as much as the UE case. The UE case offers more protection but both are functional imo.

Also I can confirm that UM recessed socket fits Westone cable. I might get the UE cable with them but have to see if it fits first. I can't remember if I asked anyone but ljokerl can you check if it fits if you have the new UE cable with a recessed socket? I've changed my portable dap to my sgs so a right angle is now preferred over what I've been using which is a straight neutrik plug. The UM cable I have is pretty handy for that.

Which UE cable are you asking about?  I'm confused.  You know the current UE cable is actually a socket/female.  You would be going female to female.  Not necessarily a bad thing but still...

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3,662 of 16,931

Quote:

Thanks!

Mine did not come with a portable case. I double-checked with project86's review and he got the same package:

-snip-

That case is definitely not portable.

Don't have a UE custom cable on hand to check if it fits. 

I'll take a picture of the portable case tonight and throw it up if you like, I don't have it on me now to photograph.

Edit: Oh and I can now confirm that it's just UM Aus that does the portable case, just got an email from Matt and he confirmed that they purchase them and pass them onto the customer at no extra cost.

Quote:
Which UE cable are you asking about?  I'm confused.  You know the current UE cable is actually a socket/female.  You would be going female to female.  Not necessarily a bad thing but still...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #3,663 of 16,931
Armaegis: have you considered entry-level customs? That should, in theory, eliminate fit issues entirely.

On whether Joker reviewing the Miracle in absence of comparison against other top-tier customs:
Eh, as stated before it's only 1 data point among many others. In fact, on threads like the JH13 and ES5 ones, there are numerous comparisons (albeit not full-blown reviews) of top-tier offerings. Joker's review is uniquely valuable among these in that he compares a pair of high end customs against the vast majority of known high end universals--this hurdle is a significant one for many to cross, and I myself am at that stage.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #3,665 of 16,931

Quote:

On the UE website there are two types of cables for customs. One that is suitable for only UE customs (probably the one on your UE custom) and then one that is suitable for their older customs as well as ones that would fit other companies. It looks similar to the cable that I got with UM actually but recessed does require it to be the size connector to be the same size as it has on the Westone.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #3,667 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker have you posted your Frequency Response chart? If not can you get a good picture of it?

Sure, though I don't put all that much stock in manufacturer measurements.

Quote:
Edit: Oh and I can now confirm that it's just UM Aus that does the portable case, just got an email from Matt and he confirmed that they purchase them and pass them onto the customer at no extra cost.

Great, thanks for clarifying! Certainly a good move on UM Australia's part. 

Quote:
Nice review, and well-deserved gift.
L3000.gif

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3,670 of 16,931

Quote:
My thinking on the whole custom IEM topic, as for universals is people should buy for a sound signature they like, not based on scores/rating.  I am working on ratings for all my custom IEMs and the select universals I have recently heard, however the ratings don't tell the whole story, and scoring higher won't make a choice the best for you.

Yup, this statement pretty much hits the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. Reviews / impressions / ratings, etc can  / should only do so much in deciding which IEM (or any product for that metter) to get. IMO, the ideal chain of events should be: Read review / impression ->audition the IEM for yourself ->Make final decision whether it suits YOUR preferences or not.

Of course, even with this there's problems. If you read a review first, a bias can set in and when you audition, you're could subconsciously be hearing what the review said you should hear and not what you are actually, physically hearing. I suppose if you're conscious enough of this fact, you can negate the bias despite having read a review before auditioning an IEM.

Then again, you may not be able to audition a particular IEM. What then? All you have, really, is a review / impression like this thread. For me, i read it, i try to imagine what the reviewer is saying and i take note of the ratings relative to other IEMs. Then I have to decide what qualities / signature I'm looking for and whether a particular IEM fits the bill.  

Ultimately, if you are going to buy one expensive custom IEM I would go for something with the sound signature you like and strengths that are important to you (if you can find that within your price range) which should result in long term enjoyment when listening casually and deep appreciation of the accurate, realistic reproduction that is achieved through technical ability.

Absolutely! :D

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #3,672 of 16,931

Quote:

Sure, though I don't put all that much stock in manufacturer measurements.

I think these are my type of IEMs. The bass looks to be the seconds strongest point with the treble and upper midrange as the strongest, along with excellent balance.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #3,673 of 16,931

Quote:
can i ask for a short comparison between the UE 500 vs 600
and also both of them vs the RE0 (amped with T4 and better)
thanks

The UE600 is mid-forward with gentle roll-off on both sides. It's smooth, a bit warm, and maybe slightly dull-sounding. The UE500 is pretty much the opposite - crisp, clean, with punchy bass and decent treble sparkle. I actually like the UE500 - it's a big improvement over the UE350 and older UE dynamics. Unfair to compare them to the RE0 as they are probably a full tier below it in SQ but I guess the UE500 would be a sort of less refined, less delicate, less nuanced RE0 with more bass punch. The UE600 again stands apart as it is a mid-forward earphone.

Quote:
This thread is so informative, you deserve the customs for all the time and effort. I can't imagine listening to 184 different earphones and reviewing them. 
blink.gif

Thanks! To be fair, though, the number of IEMs is a bit less staggering when you consider that it's been complied over two years. Or maybe not...

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3,674 of 16,931
The UM Miracle frequency graph looks like a camel, and dips rather bluntly after 7kHz, unlike the ck10 which dips after 10kHz.

The EX800ST FR looks like a perfect audio pulse sine wave.

Final Audio FR's are pretty schizo.

What does all this mean? I have no idea.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3,675 of 16,931

Quote:
i think even comparing the demos would be a problem since JH13 is in Jaben while the Miracle is in Stereo

Hello, what's Stereo please? Do you recommend it? I'll be in Singapore next week for 1 day.

Quote:
That would then mean that if some other custom is better, then the Miracle might get a 9 then, and he would have to lower all the scores of the others. Is that what you mean?

No, not if some custom is better, if ljokerl hears a custom which is better, if joker received (after the vote) a different high-end CIEM (like the JH16), then that CIEM would have the new 10/10 score here.

Quote:
music_4321 said:

Thanks, and I'm sorry your posts got deleted!

Like ljokerl, I believe you have only heard 1(?) high-end custom IEM (I have heard zero), and if you bought an $850 CIEM and think it's overrated compared to your UIEM's, then I think it's useful to listen to your critique, from the other side of the coin, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back