Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,846 of 16,931

Quote:
Which IEM would you recommend if vocals is important. I dont listen to instrumental music like dance or classical. All music i hear is with people singing in it. What kind of characteristics should i look for in a IEM?

budget max 100$.

PL-50

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,847 of 16,931
Quote:
[...]
- Also if I moved up to say a DBA-02 for the sake of overall sound quality sacrificing price is the bass compared to the M6 going to disappear completely on me?

PS: no amping here. I like how small and compact the Fuze is now

The DBA0-2's have excellent quality and sufficient quantity of bass (well-balanced with the rest of the spectrum), if you get a good fit and seal. If the music has a strong bass presence as originally mixed, then the DBA wil reproduce that mix accurately and very enjoyably.

Some around here have not been that fortunate and describe them as "bass-lite". I'm among the lucky ones, using Shure grey soft flex (single flange silicone) tips, and find that their bass is very similar to what I hear from the sound systems in my home or car (both tuned 'flat'). I am NOT a "bass-head" and prefer not to use a sub-woofer (partly in the interests of marital accord), and no amp in my portable rig, either.

I haven't yet heard an M6, but did own the similar M9 and still occasionally listen to my NuForce NE-7M. The bass from the DBA (or remarkably similar Sunrise Xcape) is less in quantity, but MUCH cleaner, faster and doesn't bleed over into the mids. I was recently (and only briefly) without both the DBA and Xcape, and the NE-7M was noticeably less satisfying to use.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,848 of 16,931

Quote:
The short cord of the JVCs sure is annoying. A temporary solution was to use it with the extension cord wrapped up, but using the RE-Zero adapter also worked somewhat (cable down). The Shure 9inch adapter may be a good option although probably a bit long. 

Hmm the RE-ZERO adapter is a good idea as that's pretty much all I'm missing with the JVC cord. 

Quote:
Brainwavz earphones do not come with foam tips and ear gliders any more.

This will definitively lower their Accessories and Value scores...

Thanks, I actually changed their accessory scores in the table (from 4.5 to 4) a little while ago but I forgot to update the review itself. 

Quote:
Hey guys whats the cheapest IEM I can get that has double and triple flange tips that also fit Turbines?? OR Where I can buy double and triple flange tips for them?

I bought my turbines and love them but they only came with the stock tips, the Sony Hybrids work well( orange is perfect for me, absolutely sounds amazing and fits so much better then everything else I own.)

You can just buy a Meelec fit kit for the M9 or M11 or the M9 'balanced' bi-flange tips. If they already stock fit kits for the new models those might be an option as well as some of them have small tri-flange tips. Alternatively, you can buy monster-style large tri-flanges on ebay from the seller lostearbuds (if I remember correctly)

Quote:
I've been following this thread for a year now, read and re-read every review and I'm ultimately confused on what to buy next........

I've been using Meelec M6's because $25 was the perfect price to get into IEM's and these really sound great for what they are. I want to move into the next level without blowing the bank, say $60-100 range. I know I can't have everything I want but I'm sure I can get somewhat nearer. On my way to work today I listened to some 80's, Led Zeppelin, Kanye and Star Wars soundtracks (Sansa Fuze). M6's are fun for the rock & rap but I want more detail/clarity, bigger soundstage and more of a twinkle to the highs when "at" the symphony - more of a grand live feel. I'd really like to go analytical without losing the base. I  think the bass gives you that oomph you need to feel like you're listening to the symphony. I notice with the M6's when listening to the SW soundtracks if there's a build up to a big cymbal crash sometimes the sounds kinda mush together and falls flat, this drives me nuts.

As for musts - isolation and microphonics are it. I was considering Silver Bullets but wouldn't want anything less than the M6's in this area, I love tuning out people when I exercise or ride the subway.

Since you're using the M6, I would think you won't have any trouble wearing the silver bullets over-the-ear in which case microphonics won't be a much of an issue. Isolation is about on-par with the M6 so I wouldn't worry about that either. The ECCI PR401 and Brainwavz M3 are two more I'd consider. The M3 doesn't quit have that treble 'sparkle' you seem to be after but it's very well-balanced and doesn't have trouble tracking multiple instruments. In any case you will be sacrificing a bit of the M6's bass for a more even-handed and refined sound.

As for moving to the DBA-02, I wouldn't if you think you've gotten used to the significantly boosted bass of the M6. The DBA-02 is a much better earphone but it portrays exactly what's on the track. There are bassy armatures - Westone 3 for example - and some that just have very impressive quality - such as the q-JAYS - but I guess you could say that they are in the minority. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #1,849 of 16,931
Joker,

I've lurked around this site for some time, and I was pleased to find this thread this afternoon while doing research for a solid IEM choice. I've read through the reviews of everything in my range, and many of the replies you've handed out to other users in the past few months. Here's hoping you can help with my individual situation...

I have a $100 Amazon.com gift card that made it through Christmas somehow. I want to blow it on a solid IEM that I can put to daily use in a variety of situations. I'm one of those job-hunting recent college grads, so I could go slightly over the $100 mark, but not drastically so. I really have no need to go lower, but I'm not hung up on a higher price meaning a better item.

I listen to damn near everything. Primary listening device is an iPhone 4 in a vast array of settings, but I have FLACs of some of my favorite albums (such as "Bold As Love", most Beatles albums, and some symphonic and opera performances) that I listen to from my PC. If I had to prioritize, it would go to iPhone listening easily. I lean more towards the analytical end of the spectrum, but I'm looking for the one IEM to rule them all for a few years with everyday use. Definitely not looking for over-the-top bass. Where is that sweet spot of definition and fluidity on a sweet sound stage around $100? (I realize this is asking a lot...) I could care less about an inline mic, although on even grounds, I'd go for one with a mic for the rare occasion it would come in handy.

The RE0, TS02, and M3 all fall around the $90 range right now, and I'm sure there are others in range that I haven't seen. The q-Jays are down to $160 on Amazon, but I'm not sure they offer enough to warrant spending the cash out of pocket. Perhaps you even have something yet to make the list that you'd recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,850 of 16,931

Quote:
I listen to damn near everything. Primary listening device is an iPhone 4 in a vast array of settings, but I have FLACs of some of my favorite albums (such as "Bold As Love", most Beatles albums, and some symphonic and opera performances) that I listen to from my PC. If I had to prioritize, it would go to iPhone listening easily. I lean more towards the analytical end of the spectrum, but I'm looking for the one IEM to rule them all for a few years with everyday use. Definitely not looking for over-the-top bass. Where is that sweet spot of definition and fluidity on a sweet sound stage around $100? (I realize this is asking a lot...) I could care less about an inline mic, although on even grounds, I'd go for one with a mic for the rare occasion it would come in handy.

The RE0, TS02, and M3 all fall around the $90 range right now, and I'm sure there are others in range that I haven't seen. The q-Jays are down to $160 on Amazon, but I'm not sure they offer enough to warrant spending the cash out of pocket. Perhaps you even have something yet to make the list that you'd recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Having to buy from amazon is certainly a limitation as my top choice for what you're after would be a Silver Bullet. I'm not a huge fan of the Klipsch Custom series (or the lower half of the Image series for that matter) but the Custom 3 is a solid choice in that price range. They're a little too dry for me to praise their fluidity (as are the q-JAYS) but they really don't do a whole lot wrong, not just 'for the money' but in general. I don't know if gift cards apply to marketplace purchases but a refurb Senn. IE7 would be another option. I'm not a fan of the IE7, either, but at <$100 it makes sense if you're looking for an all-rounder with good soundstaging. I'm the first to admit that the M3 isn't quite up there on a technical level though I'd rather be listening to it than the KC3 or IE7.

Lastly, if a gift card does indeed work with the amazon marketplace, you may be able to pick something up on the sale forum here and have the buyer list it on amazon. Not sure if it's worth the trouble but I think I've seen it done before.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,851 of 16,931
I think a gift card would work for any kind of purchase. It would be like having "amazon money" and then can buy whatever you want and have the option to choose that or from your cc/bank account. Just a FYI but mp4nation has a couple of their earphones on Amazon now on a more limited stock. I remember seeing the M1, M2 and M3 on there. It's a bit higher than the prices ($10) but it's in the US and fulfilled by Amazon.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,852 of 16,931
Hi Joker!
I have read your revews, and in a lot of them the triple.fi is cited, so i'm wondering, why didnt you make a review of it yet?
I'm very curious to read what you think of the triple's, and how it's compared to the others.
Thanks

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,853 of 16,931
I was ready to go for the Custom-3s and treat the cable like a baby, then I found some extra funds hidden with the Amazon card's envelope. The C3s on Amazon are $110 right now with free shipping. I could stretch the budge now, but I'm not sure if I'm going to find anything that really outperforms the C3s in that range. The M3s are still poking my thought process from time to time, but only because of the poor cable issues surrounding the C3s. So... $110 C3s or perhaps one of the following in the sub-$200 range:

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 @ $180 (saw it's listed in upcoming)
Phiaton PS 200 @ $150 (intrigued at this price, but concerned about sibilance)
Etys HF2 @ $150
qJays @ $150 (low man on the totem pole)
================  or the temptations....
Westone 2 or UM2 @ $250 (what advantage does the crossover on the UM give?) -- These really tempt me after going back through your reviews. There is even a set of UM2s with detachable cables for $280.
Klipsch Image X10 @ $235
Turbine Pro Golds @ $280 (concerned about being too bassy)

I could realistically stretch to a literal max of $300, but it would have to be some golden child IEM that would last many years and blow me away over the above choices, as it would come from cash instead of various gift cards. The Westone 2 (or UM2, although still not sure what the actual difference is) @ $250 comes to mind based on your reviews, and is currently what I keep coming back to at this higher range for the extreme overall value they seem to bring. The UM3X sits @ $100 over the 2s currently, but going over $300 just isn't something I had in mind when I started this quest.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,854 of 16,931
Quote:
I've been following this thread for a year now, read and re-read every review and I'm ultimately confused on what to buy next........

I've been using Meelec M6's because $25 was the perfect price to get into IEM's and these really sound great for what they are. I want to move into the next level without blowing the bank, say $60-100 range. I know I can't have everything I want but I'm sure I can get somewhat nearer. On my way to work today I listened to some 80's, Led Zeppelin, Kanye and Star Wars soundtracks (Sansa Fuze). M6's are fun for the rock & rap but I want more detail/clarity, bigger soundstage and more of a twinkle to the highs when "at" the symphony - more of a grand live feel. I'd really like to go analytical without losing the base. I  think the bass gives you that oomph you need to feel like you're listening to the symphony. I notice with the M6's when listening to the SW soundtracks if there's a build up to a big cymbal crash sometimes the sounds kinda mush together and falls flat, this drives me nuts.

As for musts - isolation and microphonics are it. I was considering Silver Bullets but wouldn't want anything less than the M6's in this area, I love tuning out people when I exercise or ride the subway.

Since you're using the M6, I would think you won't have any trouble wearing the silver bullets over-the-ear in which case microphonics won't be a much of an issue. Isolation is about on-par with the M6 so I wouldn't worry about that either. The ECCI PR401 and Brainwavz M3 are two more I'd consider. The M3 doesn't quit have that treble 'sparkle' you seem to be after but it's very well-balanced and doesn't have trouble tracking multiple instruments. In any case you will be sacrificing a bit of the M6's bass for a more even-handed and refined sound.

As for moving to the DBA-02, I wouldn't if you think you've gotten used to the significantly boosted bass of the M6. The DBA-02 is a much better earphone but it portrays exactly what's on the track. There are bassy armatures - Westone 3 for example - and some that just have very impressive quality - such as the q-JAYS - but I guess you could say that they are in the minority. 

I take it all sheepishly back and apologize for wasting your time reading my incoherent thoughts previously....  I just listened to a buddy @ works Shure SRH840 headphones (yes I know I'm comparing headphones to IEM's) and it's not about the bass! It's about clarity, the detail, the accurateness and what I would describe as very neutral in a good way. I'm guessing my Fuze was under powering them a little and I wasn't getting their full oomph, but it did not matter the music just sounded so much better to me :) Clean and balanced. Instruments were separated and I could feel the bow rubbing the violin strings. Anyways I'm not sure how actually "good" these cans are but they sound a million times better than the M6's I have now, it was like someone had lifted a blanket off the M6's and all the clarity came out. Sorry, rambling over, I'll go away now.......

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,856 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi Joker!
I have read your revews, and in a lot of them the triple.fi is cited, so i'm wondering, why didnt you make a review of it yet?
I'm very curious to read what you think of the triple's, and how it's compared to the others.
Thanks

There's a list of planned reviews in post #8. I haven't gotten to the TF10s yet as they are not review samples and not a loan so I can keep putting them off again and again.

Quote:
I was ready to go for the Custom-3s and treat the cable like a baby, then I found some extra funds hidden with the Amazon card's envelope. The C3s on Amazon are $110 right now with free shipping. I could stretch the budge now, but I'm not sure if I'm going to find anything that really outperforms the C3s in that range. The M3s are still poking my thought process from time to time, but only because of the poor cable issues surrounding the C3s. So... $110 C3s or perhaps one of the following in the sub-$200 range:

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 @ $180 (saw it's listed in upcoming)
Phiaton PS 200 @ $150 (intrigued at this price, but concerned about sibilance)
Etys HF2 @ $150
qJays @ $150 (low man on the totem pole)
================  or the temptations....
Westone 2 or UM2 @ $250 (what advantage does the crossover on the UM give?) -- These really tempt me after going back through your reviews. There is even a set of UM2s with detachable cables for $280.
Klipsch Image X10 @ $235
Turbine Pro Golds @ $280 (concerned about being too bassy)

I could realistically stretch to a literal max of $300, but it would have to be some golden child IEM that would last many years and blow me away over the above choices, as it would come from cash instead of various gift cards. The Westone 2 (or UM2, although still not sure what the actual difference is) @ $250 comes to mind based on your reviews, and is currently what I keep coming back to at this higher range for the extreme overall value they seem to bring. The UM3X sits @ $100 over the 2s currently, but going over $300 just isn't something I had in mind when I started this quest.

That's quite a few options and they are all over the place sound-wise. I think you have to figure out the type of sound you want more specifically as most of those are solid choices IMO (don't know anything about UM2 or X10 personally). HF2 is not really one I'd recommend if you want a large soundstage but the rest are above average or better.

Quote:
Does the Meelectronics A151 have more bass than the M9 and M6? 

No, not even close. M9 and M6 are dynamic-driver bass monsters. The A151 has just a bit more punch than a 'flat' earphone.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,857 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi Joker!
Thanks

There's a list of planned reviews in post #8. I haven't gotten to the TF10s yet as they are not review samples and not a loan so I can keep putting them off again and again.

I sure hope you get to the TF10s soon and not keep putting it off.  I wish you had more UE and Shure coverage, maybe someone needs to send you some, but not at the cost of delaying the TF10 review any further of course.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,858 of 16,931
 Having patience will pay off, besides there's plenty of TF10 coverage outside of this thread anyways, there's more interesting stuff coming up that peaks more interest. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,859 of 16,931
 Having patience will pay off, besides there's plenty of TF10 coverage outside of this thread anyways, there's more interesting stuff coming up that peaks more interest. 

+1

It really isn't difficult to find TF10 impression because of the two Amazon deals, it's more fun to get coverage on something that is either completely new or overlooked by the community.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,860 of 16,931
How does the SF4 compare to the M6s? What's the SF4s sound signature and how does it rate against it in technical aspects? thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back