Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #15,121 of 16,931
Interesting, the speed may have to be my first priority for my budget considering a flat analytical sound costs too much. S0 cost tons more over here for some reason which is annoying, but I'll definitely bear them in mind if I can afford them. Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, S0 Is not really flat and analytical. [size=12.8000001907349px]It's clearer than mh1 and the pistons due to its drier presentation but [/size]it's still laid back and a bit on the dark side and a bit grainy. But at $25 with free shipping (actually $23.75 as you can use the fb2012fiver code to knock off another 5%) it's pretty good given the complete package and its build quality. It's hard to really give you a good recommendation for what you're looking for with such a limited budget coz even though budget iems are getting better and better 10-15 pounds is still quite low for a flat, accurate, very detailed and fast iem.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #15,122 of 16,931
Interesting, the speed may have to be my first priority for my budget considering a flat analytical sound costs too much. S0 cost tons more over here for some reason which is annoying, but I'll definitely bear them in mind if I can afford them. Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

This Lg QB2 is also fast and accurate. You can buy from here.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #15,123 of 16,931

Interesting, they went from 6mm drivers on the EPH-100 to 15mm drivers on the EPH-200. They'll probably sound quite different.

Agreed. Totally different form factor too. 

i didn't like the twin woofer much, they are okay, but bolted bass and turned down highs means its not for me. and being an indian i bought it for $18, not bad but nothing exciting. i will go for woo duo or meelec m-duo instead.

I figured the cheaper overseas prices is what might make them more compelling. There are better options here in the US as well. Narmoo S1 is about $32 on Amazon.

Weird comparison but how does v-moda m80 compare to dunu dn-1000

Similar bass profile, less mids, more treble for a brighter and more v-shaped sound overall. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #15,124 of 16,931
So... posted a few times already here, now have done some hours research and I have come up with some earphones and I'd like to know at which I have to keep an eye open. 

Looking for the highest detail, most neutral (or natural?!) sound with quite some width. Sound isolation is not needed, build quality a bit more important. Guess I can get a fit with most IEMs. Will be used with FLAC/ Vinyl on Sansa Clip+, 8 Ohm Galaxy i9000 Voodoo, Behringer 50 Ohm soundcard and an unknown, guess 100-ish Ohm, Technics Amp (vinyl). Sansa and Samsung used 90% of the time, Technics amp and Behringer both 5%.
Higher impedance OR not greatly influenced by higher impedance IEMs are a pre.    
Listening to classical music and looking for an upgrade for the Monoprice IEMs, with sort of same sound.
I will not be buying another IEM in few years; this would really be the best I can afford and well, I should not need to look for an upgrade.

Not looking for 90% of the quality for 50% of the price, 95% is different though. So, the cheaper the better, but I do not want to buy an IEM at $25 feeling to need to upgrade any time.

I live in the Netherlands so Amazon and Wallmart etc are not really an option, eBay, DX etc are.

I found:

VSONIC R02 at $29
VSONIC VC02 at $50 (typical, twice as expensive, but also ´much´ better?)
MEElectronics A151 at $50, which are BA and are more prone to SQ affected by impedance mismatch I thought...
Astrotech AM-90 at $40 which seem to be very identical to the MEElectronics. Also BA and 25 Ohm
Etymotic Research ETY-Kids, seem to be ´it´, 300 Ohms (yeah) and analytical sound. Maybe not too good for classical due to its sound though.

Last but not least, the well loved Soundmagic E30 (and maybe PL-50). 12 Ohms and unknown how prone they are to impedance mismatch. $32 for the E30 and $50 for the PL-50.

Other recommendations are welcome too. Budget is really $35 max with those $50 hoping that they would become cheaper sometimes and only wanting to buy such one when it is really much better.

Thanks for taking your most valued time.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #15,125 of 16,931
  So... posted a few times already here, now have done some hours research and I have come up with some earphones and I'd like to know at which I have to keep an eye open. 

Looking for the highest detail, most neutral (or natural?!) sound with quite some width. Sound isolation is not needed, build quality a bit more important. Guess I can get a fit with most IEMs. Will be used with FLAC/ Vinyl on Sansa Clip+, 8 Ohm Galaxy i9000 Voodoo, Behringer 50 Ohm soundcard and an unknown, guess 100-ish Ohm, Technics Amp (vinyl). Sansa and Samsung used 90% of the time, Technics amp and Behringer both 5%.
Listening to classical music and looking for an upgrade for the Monoprice IEMs, with sort of same sound.
I will not be buying another IEM in few years; this would really be the best I can afford and well, I should not need to look for an upgrade.

Not looking for 90% of the quality for 50% of the price, 95% is different though. So, the cheaper the better, but I do not want to buy an IEM at $25 feeling to need to upgrade any time.

I live in the Netherlands so Amazon and Wallmart etc are not really an option, eBay, DX etc are.

I found:

VSONIC R02 at $29
MEElectronics A151 at $50, which are BA and are more prone to SQ affected by impedance mismatch I thought...
Astrotech AM-90 at $40 which seem to be very identical to the MEElectronics. Also BA and 25 Ohm
Etymotic Research ETY-Kids, seem to be ´it´, 300 Ohms (yeah) and analytical sound. Maybe not too good for classical due to its sound though.

Last but not least, the well loved Soundmagic E30 (and maybe PL-50). 12 Ohms and unknown how prone they are to impedance mismatch. $32 for the E30 and $50 for the PL-50.

Other recommendations are welcome too. Budget is really $35 max with those $50 hoping that they would become cheaper sometimes and only wanting to buy such one when it is really much better.

my vote is for VC02. most detailed of the lot, and build is nice too.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #15,126 of 16,931

my vote is for VC02. most detailed of the lot, and build is nice too.

+1. If you baby your IEMs and don't play with the cable too much VC02 will serve you for a long time. That's not to say they are fragile but the connectors loose their tightness if you remove the cables too often.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #15,127 of 16,931
+1. If you baby your IEMs and don't play with the cable too much VC02 will serve you for a long time. That's not to say they are fragile but the connectors loose their tightness if you remove the cables too often.

and the earpiece(s) stay put in the ear(s) when you shove-out after listening....sometimes or most.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #15,128 of 16,931

I found:

VSONIC R02 at $29

I wld say HiFiman RE-400 (waterline).....its bit costlier to your budget but it has everything you lookin for.....the fit,sound,build,excellent propreitary tips for good isolation......currently its on $79 sale @ head-direct.com......and they can ship with very cheap intl express as well ($10?) .......pls check with them.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #15,129 of 16,931
Thanks for your responses. My budget of $35 is not strechable to $79 Im afraid :p student's life is hard... money wise
So it seems I have to look closely at the VC02s. The 16 Ohm impedance is not the best thing I read though...

Found some curves! Theyre quite flat at most impedances

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #15,131 of 16,931
Thanks for your responses. My budget of $35 is not strechable to $79 Im afraid :p student's life is hard... money wise
So it seems I have to look closely at the VC02s. The 16 Ohm impedance is not the best thing I read though...

Found some curves! Theyre quite flat at most impedances

Keep in mind that both your phone and the Clip+ might struggle if you choose too hard to drive IEM's.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #15,132 of 16,931

I found:

VSONIC R02 at $29

There's a little more to impedance than just the manufacturer-supplied value. Two IEMs can be listed at 16 ohms, but one might have a flat impedance curve that has no (or minimal) impedance interactions with sources, whereas the other might have a roller coaster of a curve that results in very odd behavior with some sources.

Anyway, I've got to be honest, $35-50 is not a huge budget  for a long-term IEM investment that's also an upgrade to one of the best budget earphones around. Out of the ones you are looking at the Ety Kids might be the best option if you don't mind being "volume limited" on your portable sources by the high impedance. Otherwise I'd go E30 or VC02 for slightly different sound sigs. The E30 isn't necessarily an upgrade to an 8320 in sound, but it is a much more ergonomic earphone. The VC02, as others have said, has touchy connectors.

My real recommendation would actually be to consider the Ostry KC06 instead. Just saw it at mp4nation for $50 after coupon this morning . It's a very sensitive earphone but I still think its performance is a better fit for what you want than the others you're considering. You just might hear a little hiss with those sources of yours that are not optimized for earphones (but definitely will be fine with the Clip+). 

Can you recommend me a high end, Flat, wide soundstage and detailed CIEM?

Hidition NT6 (http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/hidition-nt-6/) and Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro (http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-custom-art-harmony-8-pro-pro-330-v2/)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #15,133 of 16,931
Sending my HiFiMan RE-400 pair to be replaced. Need some help.

What to choose from these three - Creative Aurvana In-Ear 2, Sony MDR-EX450 or Audio-Technica CKX5iS - for listening untill I get my earphones back? Which is the closest to the performance of the RE-400?

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #15,134 of 16,931

What to choose from these three - Creative Aurvana In-Ear 2, Sony MDR-EX450 or Audio-Technica CKX5iS - for listening untill I get my earphones back? Which is the closest to the performance of the RE-400?

in-ear 2, you can go for ue600 too.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #15,135 of 16,931

may be CA 2...due to its BA sound,but not very close to 400s level as they are strong in mids and sweet highs but CA 2 cld be airy in comparison....sony might be bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back