Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,401 of 4,841
The demo of the JH16 has very different bass, the soundstage is smaller, and the overall quality of the presentation isn't as good.  I didn't do source comparing with the demo.

334 has a very different note presentation than the LS8 and JH16.  From a note presentation perspective, the 334 is closer to the T1 Live!, DC4, or EM6 (based on what I have been told).  I compared it with the Spiral Ear 5-way in my 5-way review.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #2,402 of 4,841
Quote:

Yeah you don't have to worry about them, i've actually been to there premises to demo some 1964 ears, paul there is really helpful aswell.

Cool, thanks.

Quote:

Do you mean you tried universal demos or tried someone's customs?

The UM demos. Just wasn't happy with the sound as it sounded much worse than the universals I owned.

EDIT: It seems that the headphone company does not have the Rooth demo's at the moment but they have the 1964 Ears V3. Do they sound similar to the real thing?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,403 of 4,841
Quote:
The demo of the JH16 has very different bass, the soundstage is smaller, and the overall quality of the presentation isn't as good.  I didn't do source comparing with the demo.

334 has a very different note presentation than the LS8 and JH16.  From a note presentation perspective, the 334 is closer to the T1 Live!, DC4, or EM6 (based on what I have been told).  I compared it with the Spiral Ear 5-way in my 5-way review.

I meant the demo PRM vs a custom JH16 Pro and a custom LS8. Sorry for being unclear.

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,404 of 4,841
Quote:
Cool, thanks.

The UM demos. Just wasn't happy with the sound as it sounded much worse than the universals I owned.

EDIT: It seems that the headphone company does not have the Rooth demo's at the moment but they have the 1964 Ears V3. Do they sound similar to the real thing?

I honestly don't understand why manufacturers bring out demos that sound bad, even compared with high end universals, but they do.  Since it isn't representative of the real thing, it is a turn off to many potential buyers.  

I haven't heard the V3, real or demo, so I can't say.

Quote:

I meant the demo PRM vs a custom JH16 Pro and a custom LS8. Sorry for being unclear.

The PRM demo doesn't have the space or detail of the real thing, but compared with the 5-way and IERM, it isn't too bad.  The demo won't have the same detail level as the JH16 and LS8, but it is balanced and the soundstage, which is very large in the real thing, is quite impressive in the demo.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,405 of 4,841
Hello Joe,
First of all thank you so much for your amazing work and your contributions in general. As you seem to favor the dx100 as a source for CIEMs and I intend to buy one I wanted to ask you a question. I have just received Shure Se530x6 reshells (from broken Shures) and the build, fit and sound are great. However, I was wondering of I would truly benefit from upgrading from my Cowon Z2 to a dx100 with such average range CIEMs, or do I need to upgrade CIEMs too (I was thinking SE5 or NT6). Hope this clear and thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,406 of 4,841
Quote:
Hello Joe,
First of all thank you so much for your amazing work and your contributions in general. As you seem to favor the dx100 as a source for CIEMs and I intend to buy one I wanted to ask you a question. I have just received Shure Se530x6 reshells (from broken Shures) and the build, fit and sound are great. However, I was wondering of I would truly benefit from upgrading from my Cowon Z2 to a dx100 with such average range CIEMs, or do I need to upgrade CIEMs too (I was thinking SE5 or NT6). Hope this clear and thanks in advance.

Thank you for reading my info & reviews.

I am not sure just how much different the 530x6 is than the 530, but the performance of the 530 I have heard (in universal form) wasn't a great technical performer.  Most higher priced IEMs/CIEMs will improve at least somewhat from a source such as the DX100, but how much in your case is the key.  The DX100 improves detail, resolution (I consider resolution the space within the recording including instrument separation, instrument definition, and black space among other characteristics), size of the soundstage, and control, among other things.  The 530 could very well limit the benefit of the DX100 while CIEMs, especially the two you mentioned.

The higher you go up the performance ladder, the more weaknesses in any one component can hold back performance of the system, and this includes the music.  I would suspect the 530x6 would improve, at least in some ways, but the true beauty of the DX100 is the significant improvements to high performing CIEMs.  If you plan on getting the SE5 or NT-6, it is well worth it IMO.  BTW, the SE5 and NT-6 are very different sounding, and I recommend choosing based on your sound signature preference (the SE5 will be closer to the 530).

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #2,407 of 4,841
In my view (and I have limited experience as the best IEM I owned before was a SE535), the reshell and additional drivers improve significantly on the 530. It sounds better than the 535, with more clarity, better instrument separation, larger soundstage and more controlled / quality bass. Even if it is not comparable, I also think it sound at least as good as my ATH ES10, with are high quality headphones. Besides, the perfect fit makes for much better immersion into the music. According to Unique Melody, they are not at par with their Miracle but still pretty good 6-drivers 3-way.

I wish you would test Unique Melody's products. I know they have been tested by everybody, but it would certainly help in terms of reference. I would love to see how the Miracle compares with the SE5.

Thank you for all you advice. I still think I'll get the DX100 now and upgrade IEMs later. It is easier for me to buy the DX100 (I live in China so no customs and no transport !) and resell my Cowon Z2, X7 and Ibasso T3D than try to resell custom reshells...who would want them ?

With such as player as the DX100, is a portable amp really worth it or does it just add the final 5% of improvement (with CIEMs I mean). Which one would you advise? I think you mentioned the Portaphile 627?

Finally, I have a sound compression issue. I have everything in standard lossless flac. Would 24bit really improve much? It's really expensive and rare and would be a pain to re-buy so much music...Besides, I think that many albums have poor recording / mastering and having them in high fidelity does not help much...

Hope I didn't bother you too much and thanks again !

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,408 of 4,841
Quote:
In my view (and I have limited experience as the best IEM I owned before was a SE535), the reshell and additional drivers improve significantly on the 530. It sounds better than the 535, with more clarity, better instrument separation, larger soundstage and more controlled / quality bass. Even if it is not comparable, I also think it sound at least as good as my ATH ES10, with are high quality headphones. Besides, the perfect fit makes for much better immersion into the music. According to Unique Melody, they are not at par with their Miracle but still pretty good 6-drivers 3-way.

I wish you would test Unique Melody's products. I know they have been tested by everybody, but it would certainly help in terms of reference. I would love to see how the Miracle compares with the SE5.

Thank you for all you advice. I still think I'll get the DX100 now and upgrade IEMs later. It is easier for me to buy the DX100 (I live in China so no customs and no transport !) and resell my Cowon Z2, X7 and Ibasso T3D than try to resell custom reshells...who would want them ?

With such as player as the DX100, is a portable amp really worth it or does it just add the final 5% of improvement (with CIEMs I mean). Which one would you advise? I think you mentioned the Portaphile 627?

Finally, I have a sound compression issue. I have everything in standard lossless flac. Would 24bit really improve much? It's really expensive and rare and would be a pain to re-buy so much music...Besides, I think that many albums have poor recording / mastering and having them in high fidelity does not help much...

Hope I didn't bother you too much and thanks again !

It sounds like they do improve upon the original by a good margin.  And I will be testing the PP6 and see how that stacks up.  My impressions have been sent, but they have yet to arrive and I will be sending a 2nd set soon.

I find the DX100 amp performs well, and while you can improve upon the amp section with some high end amps, the improvement isn't too large with many CIEMs.  The Portaphile 627 is a very nice amp, but I would advise just listening to the DX100 first, and make sure you use the latest firmware.  

FLAC is better than MP3, so you should be fine.  Yes, I have plenty of FLAC tracks that have poor mastering, which is somewhat hidden in lower bitrate MP3s, so it just depends.  If you can get a 24 bit copy, they often sound better due to more headroom and more depth to the sound that higher end CIEMs can reproduce, but most tracks aren't available in 24 bit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,410 of 4,841
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had experience with reshelled jh audio ciems. Wanted to know if theres any change in sound due to reshelling the ciem

Also any comparison between the jh 13 and the heir audio 4.A?

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2,411 of 4,841
I want to read more of Frogbeats C-4 Review (and C-5 if someone can). I want a CIEM which sounds like Rock-It Sounds R-50 with better clarity, same (or a little bit more) treble extension, more extended bass, greater imaging and better soundstage.

Will C-4's going to do the trick for me? or there's better neutral sounding CIEM that would be close to it (I've read NT-6 and quite interested but 'enhanced bass' is somewhat turn me down)

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2,412 of 4,841
Quote:
I want to read more of Frogbeats C-4 Review (and C-5 if someone can). I want a CIEM which sounds like Rock-It Sounds R-50 with better clarity, same (or a little bit more) treble extension, more extended bass, greater imaging and better soundstage.

Will C-4's going to do the trick for me? or there's better neutral sounding CIEM that would be close to it (I've read NT-6 and quite interested but 'enhanced bass' is somewhat turn me down)

I don't think that would sound like the R-50 anymore...

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #2,413 of 4,841
Quote:
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had experience with reshelled jh audio ciems. Wanted to know if theres any change in sound due to reshelling the ciem
Also any comparison between the jh 13 and the heir audio 4.A?

Even if someone had a JH13 reshelled, chances are they bought it from someone else, so there is no way to know if anything changes.  I have experienced and read about universals being converted into CIEMs and the sound did change.

Quote:

The NT-6 bass is neutral, fast and articulate, however it is also powerful when necessary and has an impressive amount of note sustainment when a track calls for it.  While the sound signature will be similar to the R-50, you also get a robust bottom end that, in contrast to TWFK IEMs, can sound bass heavy, but it is actually the lack of capability with the TWFK.  The Lear LCM-5 also has a similar sound signature, but not quite as bright, detailed, or capable in the low end as the NT-6.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,414 of 4,841
Just got my Alclair reference monitor, amazing, fit was better on left ear, right ear just needed a little clear nail polish to thicken them up. Sound wise too early to tell but impressed by my first custom. I got the pelican case with them and they were a bargain at $330 with custom artwork. I shall review them at some point, thaks for helping me pick my first custom, very satisfied

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,415 of 4,841
Quote:

Even if someone had a JH13 reshelled, chances are they bought it from someone else, so there is no way to know if anything changes.  I have experienced and read about universals being converted into CIEMs and the sound did change.

hey Joe. Sorry let me clarify. What i meant was that i was considering purchasing a JH13 still in a the JH Audio shell. But since the reshell would be done by a different company like unique melody, would there be some level of difference in the sound?

also there doesnt happen to be a UM office in North america is there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back