Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2,372 of 4,841
Quote:

Haha, on the Chinese forums I've seen a few complaints about build qualities. At least the tuning's done right! I think the CX8 and LS8 are different right? I seen quite a few people trying to sell the CX8 after getting JH13/16 or other customs. I wonder if I can get a demo somewhere...

UM has a what?! You're kidding me right?

@Joe: The demos of JH hopefully do stink, because the 13 and 16 demos I heard were terrible. Extremely boomy bass. Though my friend with the 16s said there was much less bass in the actual ones. This might be true since my UERM demos had a lot of bass too, and when the actual ones came it felt like there was only about half that amount! However, another friend of mine said he didn't like the JH because he felt that the bass, mids and treble sounds too disconnected when playing music.

Also on a different story, I found that changing cables on UERM destroys the original balance and neutrality it has...it just sounds...bad with a different cable so far. Hopefully there will be a good cable that matches my taste. 

That's very interesting (the CX8 owners selling when they get a JH16).  

Demos, in my experience, seem to have more upper/mid-bass than the real thing, but less deep bass.  Soundstage size is smaller and imaging isn't usually nearly as good.  My experience was they are quite bad, and the first Miracle and Merlin demos I heard were also horrible.

You can read my take on cables with the UERM in my cable thread.

Quote:
Did they have nozzles and universal tips, or were they like averagely-shaped custom IEM's?  The ones I demoed were the latter.

Yes, I've seen enough people complain about UM waiting times to leave a distaste, even if they have excellent looks and such.

Can you link to some Chinese threads on the CX series? =), which forums?  I may have missed some info, you know, since I don't use Chinese search engines. =)

No universal tips?  How is that supposed to fit the general public.  

Quote:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new pair of IEM's for mainly Japanese music. I already read a lot of reviews including Joker's detailed review.

MUSIC- Some of the music I listen to are ayaka, YUI, Emi Fujita, Natsukawa Rimi, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, BoA, Thelma Aoyama, SCANDAL, Luna Sea, X Japan, ONE OK ROCK, UVERworld, High and Mighty Color, Miyavi, The Gazette, L'Arc~en~Ciel and some K-pop.

GENRES- Female vocals, rock/metal, pop, acoustic, jazz, blues

SOUND PREFERENCES-
  1. Clarity, airy/transparent
  1. Articulate
  1. Mids
  2. treble must be smooth (not harsh or too bright)
  3. good soundstage- feels as if you’re listening to a live concert
  4. not a too bassy as I’m not much of a basshead. The eq-7’s bass is adequate for my needs.
  5. vocals a bit more forward than instruments. I like vocal centric headphones but I also want instruments to be engaging.
  6. good imaging (able to pin point where instruments are and not congested on complex passages.)  

SOURCE- Sony Walkman Z, but I also have an Cowon J3. No amp.

I can't seem to decide between getting an universal IEM like the ck100 or ck100PRO or invest more on a pair of customs.  Are there any that match my tastes. Budget will be around $500.

Thanks.

If you are interested in CIEMs, the Ambient Monitor AM4 pro fits and in my experience CIEMs outperform their equivalently priced universals.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2,373 of 4,841

No universal tips?  How is that supposed to fit the general public.  

My UM demo units used nozzles and Comply tips.  The JH demo units were like 'normal' custom IEM's, multi-bore.  I just twisted them around until I got a decent fit.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,374 of 4,841
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new pair of IEM's for mainly Japanese music. I already read a lot of reviews including Joker's detailed review.

MUSIC- Some of the music I listen to are ayaka, YUI, Emi Fujita, Natsukawa Rimi, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, BoA, Thelma Aoyama, SCANDAL, Luna Sea, X Japan, ONE OK ROCK, UVERworld, High and Mighty Color, Miyavi, The Gazette, L'Arc~en~Ciel and some K-pop.

GENRES- Female vocals, rock/metal, pop, acoustic, jazz, blues

SOUND PREFERENCES-
  1. Clarity, airy/transparent
  1. Articulate
  1. Mids
  2. treble must be smooth (not harsh or too bright)
  3. good soundstage- feels as if you’re listening to a live concert
  4. not a too bassy as I’m not much of a basshead. The eq-7’s bass is adequate for my needs.
  5. vocals a bit more forward than instruments. I like vocal centric headphones but I also want instruments to be engaging.
  6. good imaging (able to pin point where instruments are and not congested on complex passages.)  

SOURCE- Sony Walkman Z, but I also have an Cowon J3. No amp.

I can't seem to decide between getting an universal IEM like the ck100 or ck100PRO or invest more on a pair of customs.  Are there any that match my tastes. Budget will be around $500.

Thanks.

I actually use my UERMs to listen to Jpop, and X Japan, Yui, Nishino Kana are some of the major ones I listen to! I think the UERM will fit everything you have there, except that the treble will be harsh. I use mine with the Walkman A, and the Walkman's vocal tuning is simply brilliant imo.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,375 of 4,841
Quote:

Did they have nozzles and universal tips, or were they like averagely-shaped custom IEM's?  The ones I demoed were the latter.

Yes, I've seen enough people complain about UM waiting times to leave a distaste, even if they have excellent looks and such.

Can you link to some Chinese threads on the CX series? =), which forums?  I may have missed some info, you know, since I don't use Chinese search engines. =)

They used comply tips. I felt that JH13 had more bass than the 16s in the demos, but this could be caused by the universals having more midbass bloat as Joe mentioned. The JH13 demos (pre freqphase) sounded really bloated and unbalanced, and the 16s were better, but not much. These demos could be quite badly made...

The CX series aren't on a thread, it was a Q&A section of the HK Yahoo auctions. It was a single question a person asked, which was "What is the difference between CX6 and CX8?", and the distributor replied: "CX8 is thicker than the CX6, but CX6 is more detailed and is clearer". So I'm assuming here that the CX8 will be more emotional and better for listening, while the cX6 will be monitor style.

I never listened to both though.

@Joe: I wouldn't know the reason, but I've seen a few selling them. It could be because they sounded better or because of brand issues (JH is a better brand obviously). Also CIEMs of this level have a lot of personal preference involved! I've seen both the CX6 and 8 being put on sale, but It could be just me noticing them more, since I've also seen the JH13 and 16 been put on sale quite a few times as well :p

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,378 of 4,841
Quote:
LOVE MUSIC...

Around $500, lots of Jap vocal music, I think you should get a universal.  Didn't you know, BoA uses the CK100Pro.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

I think she used it to film this, and then stopped...
tongue_smile.gif

The CK100PRO is a good choice, but I fear the sibilance might be a deal breaker. Otherwise, it's perfect. Make sure you use good recordings. The CK100PRO even brought out sibilance in Milestone, even though the song is supposed to showcase the earphones... the pin drop in the commercial sounds awesome with them, though... as with the owl flutter... LOL

Yeah that is really enticing. I brought the Sony Walkman Z red version because Kana Nishino was in the advert 
tongue_smile.gif

Because of the sibilance it always made me hesistate in purchasing the ck100PRO. I feel that the previous flagship may be what i'm looking for but then theres the synergy issues.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #2,379 of 4,841
Quote:
@Love Music : maybe fitear 111 may lead you to the light :wink:)

Thanks I'll look into those as well.

Quote:

I actually use my UERMs to listen to Jpop, and X Japan, Yui, Nishino Kana are some of the major ones I listen to! I think the UERM will fit everything you have there, except that the treble will be harsh. I use mine with the Walkman A, and the Walkman's vocal tuning is simply brilliant imo.

Thanks but they are over my budget.

@average_joe : Thank you. I am currently looking into the UM Mage, they seem to fit my criteria. Do you have any experience with them? 

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #2,380 of 4,841
Love Music yes the CK100 is more mid-centric and people say has a special sound and tone.  I don't know I think with universal IEM's you should usually seize what they're uniquely best at...... dynamic drivers.

For example you could buy Vsonic GR06 and a $450 custom IEM, or just go straight for the ATH-CKW1000ANV? =)

Edit:  Love Music the UM Mage is pretty much my favorite CIEM (audition).  You can reshell a TWFK driver universal IEM (like Rockit R-50) into a UM Mage and save money (have recommended this 1000 times on h-f) except lately UM customer service is not very good.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,381 of 4,841
Quote:
Love Music yes the CK100 is more mid-centric and people say has a special sound and tone.  I don't know I think with universal IEM's you should usually seize what they're uniquely best at...... dynamic drivers.

For example you could buy Vsonic GR06 and a $450 custom IEM, or just go straight for the ATH-CKW1000ANV? =)

Edit:  Love Music the UM Mage is pretty much my favorite CIEM (audition).  You can reshell a TWFK driver universal IEM (like Rockit R-50) into a UM Mage and save money (have recommended this 1000 times on h-f) except lately UM customer service is not very good.

I see...thanks.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,382 of 4,841
Just info - UM is having a group buy for 15% or 20% off Miracle and Merlin (depending on how many participants get involved). They also have a PP6 special where you get the passive crossover adapter for free (normally $169). So it could be a good time to get in on one of those items.

This appears to be limited to North America only, as handled by Stephen Guo at Custom-IEM.com. I know they had some issues with the last group buy, but hopefully this one will be less of a problem due to being region specific. If you are OK with potential delays I'd say it's worth it. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,383 of 4,841
Joe, I'm not sure if I have asked this question before.
But what's the difference in sound signature between LS8 and AKG K3003.

1. Mainly concerned about the bass and treble quantity and quality. For the bass, mainly just want impact/punchy on the bass drums. Don't which one performs similar to my description, since one is dynamic and one is balance armature.
Treble need to present between especially 10-14k Hz. I don't seem to hear very well if not at all above 15khz. I'm not really sure.

2. 3D presentation is a concern as well. Also, which one has a better instrument separation?

And I'm going to be using it from an iPod or an Android Smartphone, no amp. I know K3003 is easier to drive, but not sure it will sound "better".
Rooth stated that it is possible to make me a universal LS8, which makes me interested in it again. Rooth said it "pretty close" (exact words from him) to the custom version. Trying to decide between LS8 and K3003

Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,384 of 4,841
Quote:

That is double the $500 budget!  In that price range the LCM-5 is also great.

Quote:

@Joe: I wouldn't know the reason, but I've seen a few selling them. It could be because they sounded better or because of brand issues (JH is a better brand obviously). Also CIEMs of this level have a lot of personal preference involved! I've seen both the CX6 and 8 being put on sale, but It could be just me noticing them more, since I've also seen the JH13 and 16 been put on sale quite a few times as well :p

People are that brand conscious about CIEMs?  I would think that whatever sounds the best + artwork and the manufacturer wouldn't matter.  

Quote:
If the CX6 is DTEC x2 and TWFK x1 (I'll find out later when I have them) then I'm not sure how necessary DTEC x3 - TWFK x1 really is, but maybe it does sound "thicker" and even more monsterous that way.

I thought it was for better extension and more quantity, not to make it thicker.  The CX8 can have extra bass drivers, or extra treble drivers.  I asked myself why not just extend both ends and be somewhere between?

Quote:
@average_joe : Thank you. I am currently looking into the UM Mage, they seem to fit my criteria. Do you have any experience with them? 

I don't have experience with the Mage, but I would suspect it is good for the price.  The Merlin and Miracle demos weren't very good, much worse than the real thing according to owners and the PP6 will be the first customized UM product I will hear.  And I forgot to mention the Rooth LS3 lineup which would be right up your alley (and Tomo from HFi should be able to give you a discount).

Quote:
Joe, I'm not sure if I have asked this question before.
But what's the difference in sound signature between LS8 and AKG K3003.

1. Mainly concerned about the bass and treble quantity and quality. For the bass, mainly just want impact/punchy on the bass drums. Don't which one performs similar to my description, since one is dynamic and one is balance armature.
Treble need to present between especially 10-14k Hz. I don't seem to hear very well if not at all above 15khz. I'm not really sure.

2. 3D presentation is a concern as well. Also, which one has a better instrument separation?

And I'm going to be using it from an iPod or an Android Smartphone, no amp. I know K3003 is easier to drive, but not sure it will sound "better".
Rooth stated that it is possible to make me a universal LS8, which makes me interested in it again. Rooth said it "pretty close" (exact words from him) to the custom version. Trying to decide between LS8 and K3003

Thanks

I believe you have asked these questions before.

1) The LS8 has less bass than the JH16, and therefore will have a bit less than the K3003.  There will be more treble with the LS8.
2) The LS8 is more 3D and has better instrument separation.  

The LS8 is easy to drive and I have used it on the go with a Clip+ and not been disappointed.  Of course, I am sure you have read my custom vs. universal demo comparison of the LS8.  A demo would be nice as the Rooth demo lineup did sound very good to me.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #2,385 of 4,841
Quote:
I believe you have asked these questions before.

1) The LS8 has less bass than the JH16, and therefore will have a bit less than the K3003.  There will be more treble with the LS8.
2) The LS8 is more 3D and has better instrument separation.  

The LS8 is easy to drive and I have used it on the go with a Clip+ and not been disappointed.  Of course, I am sure you have read my custom vs. universal demo comparison of the LS8.  A demo would be nice as the Rooth demo lineup did sound very good to me.

I only use ipod/android devices. Can you briefly compare them on your iPhone?

1. Does that mean LS8 is similar to K3003 with High boost port? 

2. How about the impact of the bass drums between LS8 and K3003? are they similar? 

3. And when you say LS8 is more 3D and has better separation, is it just slightly? That's a subjective question but, I mean are you able to tell from memory that LS8 is more 3D and has better separation for most of your songs. Or is it for specific moment of the song.

Well, I mainly listen to punk rock/alternative music. Perhaps it's not as apparent as Jazz or classical.

I guess I can't have both treble and bass presence. It's not possible or really difficult for an IEM.
Perhaps the NT6-pro is more suitable, but they haven't responded yet. I'm not sure if they are willing to make universals. Or LS8+?    
4. And do you have a demo unit of LS8?

5. To give you a rough idea, I played around with EQing FX700. My preference is
+ 1-2 dB 4 kHz
+ 3 dB 6 kHz
+ 4-5 dB 8-16 kHz (this region doesn't sound too different to me for most of my songs. Probably the instruments doesn't go that high. Or I can't hear that high.)

The bass is left untouched. I played around with it as well. I dont mind the bass region goes down - 1-2 dB (lighter bass). Perhaps I need to boost the treble so much because FX700 is very prominent in the bass region.
Maybe these info will help you answer my question.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back