Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,666 of 4,841
Quote:
Hey average_joe,
I'm interested to get the HT6 but I was wondering how long did it took for you to get your HT6 after sending your impressions to hidition. I'll be in Korea from mid July so I was hoping that I could collect my HT6 when I'm there if I were to place an order now.

There have been changes at Hidition recently and the turn time has been reduced quite a bit to about a week from what I believe.  If you place your order now, they could have it done in a week or so from my understanding, so no need to wait.  I would send them a message and see what they say.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,667 of 4,841
average joe: as i said months before. you do a fantastic job and i cannot stop to thank you for that! keep it up.

just one thing makes me a little sad: you did not yet review the ue11pro. as it is the only custom i have owned, it would be more easy for me, to read your impressions, if i would know how you would describe them.

as the ue11 is quite "oldschool" i guess they are still very well known by a lot of people that are into customs, so it would help them too.

maybe one day... :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,668 of 4,841
There have been changes at Hidition recently and the turn time has been reduced quite a bit to about a week from what I believe.  If you place your order now, they could have it done in a week or so from my understanding, so no need to wait.  I would send them a message and see what they say.

Wow 1 week is really fast. If that's really the case, perhaps I'll order the NT6 2 weeks prior to my departure for Seoul.

I placed my order with null audio for my rooth LS5X customs on 20th April and 4days ago, I was told that they've just finished doing the shell and crossovers for the drivers. Currently they are still in the midst of working on my artwork. Did you experience such long turn time when you ordered your LS8?

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #1,669 of 4,841
Quote:
I just posted 3 amp reviews: Portaphile 627, Epiphany EPH-O2, and Headphonia Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G

Also, check out the thread for the just announced Unique Melody Platform Pure 6, which has a box with a DAC, active crossover, and amp going to a 6 driver 3-way custom IEM.

The 8.A is brighter and more airy than the EM3 Pro!

It depends on what sound signature you want.  For example, a reshelled TF10 with an aftermarket cable performs quite well and can be less than $400 if you want that sound signature.  The JH5 would be similar and gets good reviews, but I can't say from personal experience.  However, the Rooth LS2 does fit the bill and I have heard a demo, which sounded quite good.  The Aurisonics AS-1 is another option and quite different in the sound signature.  And there are others such as the Heir Audio 3.A, which of course will then tempt you with the amazing looks you can get.

If you can stretch to around $500 there are quite a few more options, but if not, you should be able to find what you want.  However, the first step is to let us know the sound signature you are looking for and anything else that is important in your buying decision.

Id like to preface this by stating i am by no means a super advanced listener but have been enjoying good-decent headphones. As i had informed you, I have the e7/e9 combo in which i use my Denon AHD2000 (which actually got shipped back to denon for a warranty issue and they sent me back a check for what i paid 
mad.gif
 ) So i decided since im not really home all that much i should get something more mobile. I loved the sound of the denon's so im not sure what signature they provide but i havent heard that many different headphones to be able to define sound signature. I have the m50, which my denon's sounded better. And i liked my denons as compared to the dt 990's also.  Im sorry for my lack of knowledge, i guess thats why im here asking questions. So thank you for your help before hand! 

I dont know if you could suggest a couple of headphones to get an idea of sound signature, but i have a B&H near me which has a variety of headphones which i could go and listen to and determine which signature i like the best, but that may be a stretch? Thanks! 

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #1,670 of 4,841
Quote:
average joe: as i said months before. you do a fantastic job and i cannot stop to thank you for that! keep it up.

just one thing makes me a little sad: you did not yet review the ue11pro. as it is the only custom i have owned, it would be more easy for me, to read your impressions, if i would know how you would describe them.

as the ue11 is quite "oldschool" i guess they are still very well known by a lot of people that are into customs, so it would help them too.

Having owned the UE11pro for a long time, and knowing Joe's sonic preferences fairly well, I don't think he would like the UE11 so much.

It's an interesting custom - very capable on a technical level, yet deliberately tuned in such a way to make them far less appealing than they could have been. I think THIS review sums it up rather well, though I'm baffled why they still gave it a "B" rating and a recommendation.

Factor in the (still) very high price, along with the questionable sound, and I would have a hard time recommending the UE11pro. Other options include the JH11pro and the far cheaper 1964-Q from 1964 Ears.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,671 of 4,841
Quote:

Thank you.  I can't recall even listening to a demo unit of the UE11 pro last time I had a chance to hear all of the UE demos.  While it is true that having several more CIEMs such as the UE11 pro and ES5 would be great for perspective, and if I had more time to review them I would go for it.  Maybe its time you buy a new CIEM that I have reviewed :wink:

Quote:
Wow 1 week is really fast. If that's really the case, perhaps I'll order the NT6 2 weeks prior to my departure for Seoul.
I placed my order with null audio for my rooth LS5X customs on 20th April and 4days ago, I was told that they've just finished doing the shell and crossovers for the drivers. Currently they are still in the midst of working on my artwork. Did you experience such long turn time when you ordered your LS8?

Yes, my LS8 took a while to make.

You ordered the LS5X from Null Audio, not HFI?

Quote:
Id like to preface this by stating i am by no means a super advanced listener but have been enjoying good-decent headphones. As i had informed you, I have the e7/e9 combo in which i use my Denon AHD2000 (which actually got shipped back to denon for a warranty issue and they sent me back a check for what i paid 
mad.gif
 ) So i decided since im not really home all that much i should get something more mobile. I loved the sound of the denon's so im not sure what signature they provide but i havent heard that many different headphones to be able to define sound signature. I have the m50, which my denon's sounded better. And i liked my denons as compared to the dt 990's also.  Im sorry for my lack of knowledge, i guess thats why im here asking questions. So thank you for your help before hand! 

I dont know if you could suggest a couple of headphones to get an idea of sound signature, but i have a B&H near me which has a variety of headphones which i could go and listen to and determine which signature i like the best, but that may be a stretch? Thanks! 

I have only heard the D2000 once years ago, but from that experience + reading I believe it is similar to the TF10.  You may want to read up on any comparisons of the TF10 and D2000 you can and use that as a starting point.  If you can listen to some of the higher end products at B&H such as an IE8 (or IE80).  What do they have in store?  I would recommend taking your time selecting a custom IEM and listening for yourself is the best possible way you can go about doing things. 

Quote:

Having owned the UE11pro for a long time, and knowing Joe's sonic preferences fairly well, I don't think he would like the UE11 so much.

It's an interesting custom - very capable on a technical level, yet deliberately tuned in such a way to make them far less appealing than they could have been. I think THIS review sums it up rather well, though I'm baffled why they still gave it a "B" rating and a recommendation.

Factor in the (still) very high price, along with the questionable sound, and I would have a hard time recommending the UE11pro. Other options include the JH11pro and the far cheaper 1964-Q from 1964 Ears.

What are my sonic preferences :wink: 

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,673 of 4,841
Quote:

Ummmm..... midbass that isn't bloated and stepping on the rest of the music? 

Lol, I guess that is a good description and leaves quite a bit of leeway!  Not that something with bloated mid bass won't appeal to the general public.  And I am guessing that can be said for most people on here!  

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,674 of 4,841
Quote:

It's an interesting custom - very capable on a technical level, yet deliberately tuned in such a way to make them far less appealing than they could have been

interesting observation - and without necessarily disagreeing (about everyone's guesses regarding other people's sonic predilections), I'd add that the UE11Pro does shine in certain circumstances where a more neutral CIEM would not do as well - i.e. for certain genres (e.g. dub, reggae, some organ music, some rock) it's what I happily use, despite having the ER4P-S with custom tips or the UERM to choose from as well. I suppose the same goes for other situations: just because I like my magnepan speakers at home for critical listening doesn't mean I reject the sound system in a dance club, right?

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,675 of 4,841
Quote:
Here is a note about the cable that came with my 8.A...that is now available from Heir Audio for $110 for Heir customers and $129 for everyone else.  It is a very nice cable!

The AM4 pro has arrived:

While it is hard to say because each monitor is tuned differently, my generalization is that empty shells are more immediate/fast in general while filled monitors tend to have more of the bass transfer in a way that gives a sense of power.

I tested the iPhone 4S as a source with my SE 5-way, but didn't put it in the review as it really wasn't much of an improvement over the other amps, maybe 0.5 to 1 point better on my scale.  But, you can see the improvement with the modded iPod which was a significant improvement to me.  While it is better, The 4S just doesn't have the space, detail, or refinement to really make it worth an upgrade IMO, but if you are going to use it with better sources, the amp is a great one!

You are welcome 
wink_face.gif

What's the cost for the AM4's?  The info on page one is in a foreign currency and their website doesn't appear to have an English option.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,676 of 4,841
Yes. I was told at initially that rooth only makes universal LS5X but later on Kevin told me Rooth was able to make custom LS5X. Therefore, I opted for the customs. May I know if I place an order with HFi, will the iems still be made at rooth lab?

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,677 of 4,841
interesting observation - and without necessarily disagreeing (about everyone's guesses regarding other people's sonic predilections), I'd add that the UE11Pro does shine in certain circumstances where a more neutral CIEM would not do as well - i.e. for certain genres (e.g. dub, reggae, some organ music, some rock) it's what I happily use, despite having the ER4P-S with custom tips or the UERM to choose from as well. I suppose the same goes for other situations: just because I like my magnepan speakers at home for critical listening doesn't mean I reject the sound system in a dance club, right?

I can see your point there. They were a fun diversion from the somewhat dull UE10pro that I also had back then. I just felt that for $1200 or whatever they charged me, the 11 could have been so much closer to the perfect all around performer. Instead, like you said, it was only fun for certain genres and even then not perfect.

Maybe my view is tainted by an evolving market, where we get much more quality for lower prices these days. As long as you still enjoy them, that's all that matters!

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,678 of 4,841
Quote:
What's the cost for the AM4's?  The info on page one is in a foreign currency and their website doesn't appear to have an English option.

The AM4 is a little more than $500 and you can just type in the currency in the Google search bar and it will auto translate to your local currency.

Quote:
Yes. I was told at initially that rooth only makes universal LS5X but later on Kevin told me Rooth was able to make custom LS5X. Therefore, I opted for the customs. May I know if I place an order with HFi, will the iems still be made at rooth lab?

The LSX5 was going to sell as a universal with a coupon to make it into a custom IEM, but now I think you can buy it either way.  I bought my LS8 direct from Rooth, but since then they have directed me to HFi, so yes, all Rooth orders through HFi will be made by Rooth in China.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,679 of 4,841
Quote:
Some new arrivals:

Thank you. I think silicone may be harder to drive than acrylic, possibly because the shell of the BA resonates in silicone instead of air/acrylic.  And yes, more resolving DACs will show off the ability of a CIEM, which typically have more technical ability than universals.  And I like to call the better power 'control' or in technical terms damping.  We are on the same page as usual :wink:

:D really looking forward to your AS-1's review 
my method to get my ex1000 to work well :D or say fit well, the main difference is better fit, seals better, better resolution in mids and treble's detail, and bass feels better, both texture, and impact the detail comes in a more refine mannar :D

or my MDR7550(the one you've seen before)

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,680 of 4,841
Quote:
:D really looking forward to your AS-1's review 
my method to get my ex1000 to work well :D or say fit well, the main difference is better fit, seals better, better resolution in mids and treble's detail, and bass feels better, both texture, and impact the detail comes in a more refine mannar :D

or my MDR7550(the one you've seen before)

Wow, looks nice and reminds me of the EP-10 Plus!  Of course, I am sure sounds much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back