Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,621 of 4,841
Quote:
I get the impression that when you start adding extra drivers, you may need a better/stronger source to get the most out of the higher end CIEM's.  Is this correct and if so, is there a normal line where if the CIEM's have X number of drivers your probably going to need/want an amp/DAC/better source?  I usually use my laptop or Creative Zen as a music source when when using headphones at work, on travel or when working out (at home I use speakers not headphones).  If I upgrade to CIEM's, I would probably look at getting a better portable music player but may have to live with what I have for a while depending on how much the new CIEM's cost.  It would kind of suck to spend $500 on headphones and not be able to get good sound out of them because my music player can provide enough umph to push the extra drivers.

In my experience this isn't necessarily true, it depends on the complexity of the crossover and some other factors.  The JH16 is quite easy to drive for example while the ACS T1 will benefit more from an amp.  There is a source matching section in all of my CIEM reviews which hopefully can give you a good idea of how the CIEM performs with various levels of sources.

May 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #1,622 of 4,841
Joe - I agree completely, and have always liked your "source matching" section. It's a helpful thing to mention.

My experience is the same: the dual driver Earproof Atom, rated at 70 ohm and 105dB sensitivity, is by far the most difficult to drive of all my customs; even those with way more drivers. 

Generally speaking, when an IEM is more revealing then it will demand a better source and cleaner amplification. Not necessarily more power, but better power. It doesn't matter if that comes from a portable amp or just the built in amp section of a quality DAP. 

May 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,623 of 4,841
Some new arrivals:

Quote:
Joe - I agree completely, and have always liked your "source matching" section. It's a helpful thing to mention.

My experience is the same: the dual driver Earproof Atom, rated at 70 ohm and 105dB sensitivity, is by far the most difficult to drive of all my customs; even those with way more drivers. 

Generally speaking, when an IEM is more revealing then it will demand a better source and cleaner amplification. Not necessarily more power, but better power. It doesn't matter if that comes from a portable amp or just the built in amp section of a quality DAP. 

Thank you. I think silicone may be harder to drive than acrylic, possibly because the shell of the BA resonates in silicone instead of air/acrylic.  And yes, more resolving DACs will show off the ability of a CIEM, which typically have more technical ability than universals.  And I like to call the better power 'control' or in technical terms damping.  We are on the same page as usual :wink:

May 23, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,625 of 4,841
^ second that. Your reviews are extremely informative, average_joe.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 23, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,626 of 4,841
Heir audio always do it right on the artwork.Absolutely stunning looking.Are they smaller than 5 way sizewise? What's the initial sound signature? 

May 24, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,629 of 4,841
Quote:
Awesome, looking forward to your reviews!

Quote:
^ second that. Your reviews are extremely informative, average_joe.

Thank you!

Quote:
Heir audio always do it right on the artwork.Absolutely stunning looking.Are they smaller than 5 way sizewise? What's the initial sound signature? 

Yes, they are not flashy, but oh so exquisite and classy!  They are about the same size as the 5-way and protrude about the same from my ears, which is not much.  Both have long canals, although the end of the 5-way canal is much thicker.

Sound sig is on the warmer and richer side of the spectrum.

Quote:

Are those the cables that came with the 8.A? Last time I checked (looks at own 4.A), they didn't use Neutrik right-angle plugs, or pair clear connector pins with a black cable (something I would've liked a lot). Looks like a new batch of cables.

Yes, that cable came with the 8.A, but it is not available at this time.  

Quote:
Oh... so the mango tree woodplates are yours, nice!

Yes, very nice, subtle, yet rich.  Something you would want to be seen in public with!

May 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,632 of 4,841
Thank you for the comparison pictures:) 5 way looks like a plastic toy beside them.
wink.gif

May 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #1,633 of 4,841
If you haven't seen it, my write-up on the Rooth demo units can be found here.  The Rooth lineup is very nice with as the presentation is very liquid, which is usually only found in warmer sound signatures, but extremely clear and detailed in a musical way.  The highlights for me were the LS8+, LSX5, LS6, and LS3.

Quote:
Thank you for the comparison pictures:) 5 way looks like a plastic toy beside them.
wink.gif

Or big medical grade silicone inserts from heaven 
wink_face.gif

May 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,634 of 4,841
Quote:

Thanks for the additional information.  So, your foray into ear buds/IEMs consists of Bose and your comment that you can easily pick out wrong things during a live performance, so does that mean the Bose don't do things wrong, and your Razr/laptop does things right?  Based off my experience with Bose products, specifically their earphones, most products above $100 will be a step up while retaining proper pitch, etc.  If that is your current setup, maybe you should start with something other than custom IEMs just to get experience and see how the progression from the Bose buds to something more hi-fi goes, for example the GR07.

Thanks for the reply again. When I was talking about a "live performance", I wasn't talking about a recording of it. I meant at the actual concert. I like my little Bose ear buds, but I know that when I hear the recording, it can sound better than what I'm hearing out of the ear buds, just as vinyl will always sound better than any digital recording. Are the GR07's that much better of a step up form my ear buds? So what you're saying is, that going from "bose" to custom IEMs, vs the GR07s, I won't know the difference and/or know what I'm missing since both are better than anything I've heard before (not counting live performances)?

May 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,635 of 4,841
Hey, one more question about the ACS T1 which you recommended a while back. Do you see a significant difference between the T1 and the T1 Live! series CIEMs?

T1: http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=45

T1 Live!: http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=91

The Live! are about $200 more, and have a detachable cable, among other things. Is that worth the additional cash? Is there a difference in sound? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back