Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #196 of 4,841
so thats how you aford new audio toys? :) selling bodyparts :)

I have some body parts I dont really use if someone wanna make a trade for some headphones and a nice amp :p

looking forward to minerva review.
thanks Joe :)

May 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #198 of 4,841

Quote:
so thats how you aford new audio toys? :) selling bodyparts :)

I have some body parts I dont really use if someone wanna make a trade for some headphones and a nice amp :p

looking forward to minerva review.
thanks Joe :)

Yea, it is now in the review queue!  It might be bumped up because I wanted to get the JH16 reshell before I completed the reviews of the 5-way, LS8, and SA-43.  The 5-way review is almost done and just awaiting the JH16 and some finishing touches and the LS8 is about half way done.  I also have the SA-12 to review which is in the same price range as the Mi-3.

Quote:
Minerva really got me picking up my jaw from ground. What a neat!

Glad you found your jaw down there...anyone else have any comments on the artwork?

May 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #200 of 4,841
I updated the 2nd post in this thread (first part, custom IEMs vs. universal IEMs) to somewhat cover my thoughts on this topic.

And yes, the Mi-3 cable is permanent, if that is what you are referring to.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #202 of 4,841
I ordered MI-2 after reading this thread.  Was starting to get nervous, but got a call from Lee @ Minerva - Very Reassuring!
Knows his stuff and incredible helpful.  Really looking forward to them arriving.  Will let you all know how it goes.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #204 of 4,841
I ordered MI-2 after reading this thread.  Was starting to get nervous, but got a call from Lee @ Minerva - Very Reassuring!
Knows his stuff and incredible helpful.  Really looking forward to them arriving.  Will let you all know how it goes.

You won't be disappointed, I've got the Mi-3 and they are excellent. Did write a review here a few weeks ago on them but I'm pretty poor at writing reviews and dont think much notice was taken off the review. Lee is a top bloke and always happy to answer questions.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #205 of 4,841
"Listening Volume Performance: The Mi-3 seems to need some juice to get going in the bass department."

this gets me a bit down :frowning2: how bad is it? I don have juice, I have Ipod ..:/
mabye a fiio E5 or similiar in size and price if I have to (will be so broke after ordering new phones)

had my eyes on Mi-3,or  I should say I have my eyes on silicone and minerva  is nice price vise. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #206 of 4,841
"Listening Volume Performance: The Mi-3 seems to need some juice to get going in the bass department."

this gets me a bit down :frowning2: how bad is it? I don have juice, I have Ipod ..:/
mabye a fiio E5 or similiar in size and price if I have to (will be so broke after ordering new phones)

had my eyes on Mi-3,or  I should say I have my eyes on silicone and minerva  is nice price vise. 

To my ears the bass on the Mi-3 is very good, not as overpowering as the ie8 but probably a bit more than the um3x.

I've just paired my iPod classic/Mi-3 with a Headstage Arrow 3G and it has added a little more to the bass, a little bit more bite to bass drum beats etc but kept all the detail and texture that I hear from the bass on the Mi-3. To my ears and as per usual other people may hear different, the Arrow has given the Mi-3 a bit more soundstage and improved the already very good mids.

In my own Mi-3 thread I said that these were the best iems I had experienced, adding the amp has just improved them that little bit more.

I should add that these are my first customs but have owned various iems including - um3x, ety 4, shure 530 and triple fi 10 amongst many others.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #207 of 4,841
 I've only owned one "real" headphone and no iems 
listen to a few mid-high end studio phones,but newer ownd.
just gave my father my only in ears.

my big reason getting them is comfort and "stealth" just not appropriate to wear big phone in some places (work) :frowning2:
so as long as they matchor better the sound of my beloved HD-25's,and from what I read they more then do I'l be so happy :)

I dont realy think I'm a headophile..I just cant live whitout my music..:p

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #208 of 4,841

Quote:
You won't be disappointed, I've got the Mi-3 and they are excellent. Did write a review here a few weeks ago on them but I'm pretty poor at writing reviews and dont think much notice was taken off the review. Lee is a top bloke and always happy to answer questions.

I saw it, thanks for posting it.  I plan on rereading it after I write my review and before I post it.

Quote:

I noticed that various headphones I have had over the years have performed differently in comparison with one another and in general depending on the volume level, so I wanted to incorporate something into my reviews about that.  And please note that the summary for the Mi-3 is in it's early stage and will be updated with the full review.  What I mean by the "listening volume performance" is how the sound changes from a very low listening level through the loudest I can stand for a few seconds.  The Mi-3 performs similarly to many other BA customs/universals at very low to low volumes where the bass has less punch and power and is quieter relative to the rest of the spectrum when compared with a moderate listening volume. I often listen at a very quiet level late at night and have to take that into consideration when comparing.  I hope that helps explain it; let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
To my ears the bass on the Mi-3 is very good, not as overpowering as the ie8 but probably a bit more than the um3x.

I've just paired my iPod classic/Mi-3 with a Headstage Arrow 3G and it has added a little more to the bass, a little bit more bite to bass drum beats etc but kept all the detail and texture that I hear from the bass on the Mi-3. To my ears and as per usual other people may hear different, the Arrow has given the Mi-3 a bit more soundstage and improved the already very good mids.

In my own Mi-3 thread I said that these were the best iems I had experienced, adding the amp has just improved them that little bit more.

I should add that these are my first customs but have owned various iems including - um3x, ety 4, shure 530 and triple fi 10 amongst many others.

I could see the iPod Classic being a good match as my iPhone seems to be a good match for the Mi-3, but my Clip+ is not.  I really haven't given it too much time with my Arrow, but I can see where you could describe the changes as you did.  And I believe I remember you saying the Mi-3 was similar to the UM3X, which makes sense listing the universals you have owned.  However, I don't think it is as warm as the UM3X and is different in many ways.

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #209 of 4,841
I saw it, thanks for posting it.  I plan on rereading it after I write my review and before I post it.

I noticed that various headphones I have had over the years have performed differently in comparison with one another and in general depending on the volume level, so I wanted to incorporate something into my reviews about that.  And please note that the summary for the Mi-3 is in it's early stage and will be updated with the full review.  What I mean by the "listening volume performance" is how the sound changes from a very low listening level through the loudest I can stand for a few seconds.  The Mi-3 performs similarly to many other BA customs/universals at very low to low volumes where the bass has less punch and power and is quieter relative to the rest of the spectrum when compared with a moderate listening volume. I often listen at a very quiet level late at night and have to take that into consideration when comparing.  I hope that helps explain it; let me know if you have any other questions.

I could see the iPod Classic being a good match as my iPhone seems to be a good match for the Mi-3, but my Clip+ is not.  I really haven't given it too much time with my Arrow, but I can see where you could describe the changes as you did.  And I believe I remember you saying the Mi-3 was similar to the UM3X, which makes sense listing the universals you have owned.  However, I don't think it is as warm as the UM3X and is different in many ways.

Agree with the thoughts on low listening volume, bass does lack at low volumes, not until the volume is cranked up does it improve, although I found that the arrow does help a little with this.

My comparison to the um3x is mainly because it was the last universal I owned before the Mi-3's. Still have the seen ie8 which I still listen to every so often. The Mi-3's are different in many ways to the um3x but they were the closet I could compare too, I think they are similar in that they both sound quite neutral although over time I am finding the Mi-3 have more emphasis on the trebles than the um3x.

Will have to try them with the Clip, I've got one lying around but never use.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #210 of 4,841

Quote:
Agree with the thoughts on low listening volume, bass does lack at low volumes, not until the volume is cranked up does it improve, although I found that the arrow does help a little with this.

My comparison to the um3x is mainly because it was the last universal I owned before the Mi-3's. Still have the seen ie8 which I still listen to every so often. The Mi-3's are different in many ways to the um3x but they were the closet I could compare too, I think they are similar in that they both sound quite neutral although over time I am finding the Mi-3 have more emphasis on the trebles than the um3x.

Will have to try them with the Clip, I've got one lying around but never use.

Yea, it will be interesting to see if you thing the same about pairing the Mi-3 with a Clip/Clip+.  And the Arrow does have more warmth and deep bass than the iPod even with no bass boost so that would improve low volume performance.  I think it is in part due to the ability of better amps to control the signal much better than a iPod or Clip or most other DAPs.

I was originally going to summarize how I thought the UM3X compared with the Mi-3, but decided not to write more than about the warmth, but the second thing I thought of was the additional treble emphasis of the Mi-3, lol.  From memory, I also think the UM3X is more mid-forward and the Mi-3 has a much larger presentation space among other differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back