Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 25, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #4,726 of 4,841
Good question. The 846, contrary to 80% of audiophile products, are well conceived: fairly small, well build, solid, comfortable, well isolating, easy to drive. So many iems sound great but are totally lacking in these essentials. Sound wide the bass is wonderful if you like this kind of bass, powerful and layered. The mids are very smooth and easy on the ears. Only issue is lack of air and sparkle in the highs. Soundstage could be better, but all in all, still a great iem.

Thanks buddy. that's what I thought too when I auditioned them again yesterday. The bass is what stands out from the rest. Mid is typical BA driver sounding presentation. The only downside is the extension is highs. But se846 can be a great "put on and go" type of IEM for ppl who loves modern genres of music.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #4,727 of 4,841
Thanks buddy. that's what I thought too when I auditioned them again yesterday. The bass is what stands out from the rest. Mid is typical BA driver sounding presentation. The only downside is the extension is highs. But se846 can be a great "put on and go" type of IEM for ppl who loves modern genres of music.

Pretty much the consensus around here. Slapping on the white filter helps a bit with the treble though it's still not for the treblenatics out there, and putting the Sensaphonics sleeves helps with the feeling of immersion and soundstage too. Overall though this iem is really about clean yet fun bass, and engaging mids. I was just listening to them from my iphone last night and thinking, this probably gets you 98% of the way to the end of the journey!

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #4,728 of 4,841

All in all, they do the job, but for long listening sessions, I find myself needing some air. Anyways, the SE5 Ultimate are better in everyway, but it's nice to have a reliable backup. I tried the W60 that is a comparable format but really disliked the sound.
Pretty much the consensus around here. Slapping on the white filter helps a bit with the treble though it's still not for the treblenatics out there, and putting the Sensaphonics sleeves helps with the feeling of immersion and soundstage too. Overall though this iem is really about clean yet fun bass, and engaging mids. I was just listening to them from my iphone last night and thinking, this probably gets you 98% of the way to the end of the journey!

I actually went back to the blue filters. White filters add trebble but also some harshness. The blues are the 846 sound as it should be IMO. If I want more treble, I just look elsewhere. The Q Jays for instance.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #4,733 of 4,841
Wait I'm getting flashbacks from my first customs, the 8.A. Ear impressions were stuck in customs for like 2 weeks.. So I guess that's normal.

But I've recently learned that customs in the Philippines are the worst, apparently they open each package and tax it to the max 
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,734 of 4,841

A friend let me home demo the SE846 for about a month and I was somewhat reluctant to return it (and I consider myself to be a bit of a treblehead). If there was a custom with that sound signature and better treble I would snap it up instantly. Unfortunately, one hasn't surfaced yet.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #4,738 of 4,841

All in all, they do the job, but for long listening sessions, I find myself needing some air. Anyways, the SE5 Ultimate are better in everyway, but it's nice to have a reliable backup. I tried the W60 that is a comparable format but really disliked the sound.
I actually went back to the blue filters. White filters add trebble but also some harshness. The blues are the 846 sound as it should be IMO. If I want more treble, I just look elsewhere. The Q Jays for instance.

Agreed.

I use the white only with my Hugo. Otherwise blue is just about perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back