Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,946 of 4,841

Isn't warmth technically coloration?  The last sentence in the first paragraph to me = neutral and capable (capability is something different and related to quality, not sound signature per se).

One man's neutral is another man's bright!

Tupac's "special" category is really what I was trying to say with "colored" so we can just replace terms and move it off to the side. He described it much better than I did as something that is just really different in style and presentation.

I guess the reason that I am pointing toward a middle ground I term "balanced" is because that is what I am looking for in a CIEM. IMO, the extremes of warm sounds like a teenage car turned into a subwoofer, thumping and rattling down the road, and bright sounds like a sprinkler spraying water into my ear. But I want the clarity, details, and black space that an analytical signature provides as well as the richer, thicker note with intense textures that organic provides. Paired correctly, the NT6pro seems to give me what I am looking for.

And I give credit to you and this thread for pointing me there. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3,949 of 4,841
Well, I'm glad the past 2 pages have managed to 'successfully'
rolleyes.gif
clarify precisely what 'Organic' and 'Analytical' mean, in the world of CIEMs 
ph34r.gif

There's no way newcomers can possibly get confused, now...        
biggrin.gif

I don't know that I'd call the SE-5 organic, personally - to me, it's defining characteristic was sounding frustratingly dark.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,950 of 4,841
rolleyes.gif
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

I don't know that I'd call the SE-5 organic, personally - to me, it's defining characteristic was sounding frustratingly dark.

Thanks to different versions of SE5s :p

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #3,953 of 4,841
Guys the sound signature I like is the Beyer T90....I am not sure what customs should I get? I tested the K10, V8 and Dita Audio The Answer which just can't seem to cut it for me. They have that kind of "veil" which I can't seem to pinpoint whereas the T90 or my Quad 12L speakers lets me hear it like an extension of my own ear.

I am an amateur in this so don't judge me too much :p

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3,957 of 4,841
  Tupac's "special" category is really what I was trying to say with "colored" so we can just replace terms and move it off to the side. He described it much better than I did as something that is just really different in style and presentation.

I guess the reason that I am pointing toward a middle ground I term "balanced" is because that is what I am looking for in a CIEM. IMO, the extremes of warm sounds like a teenage car turned into a subwoofer, thumping and rattling down the road, and bright sounds like a sprinkler spraying water into my ear. But I want the clarity, details, and black space that an analytical signature provides as well as the richer, thicker note with intense textures that organic provides. Paired correctly, the NT6pro seems to give me what I am looking for.

And I give credit to you and this thread for pointing me there. 
wink_face.gif

The bottom line is I am happy I was able to be a part of you finding a CIEM you like!

SE5 is organic but not very strongly so. Out of the RWAK240 it is much less so.

I was listening to the SE5 out of the ADL X1, which is a very transparent amp, even more so than the 627, and I would say it is more neutral and natural than not, but still falls in the organic category.  In contrast, the Hidition Viento-R was much brighter and more analytical.  The SE5 is more difficult to categorize because of the transparency (change with the source and track).

rolleyes.gif
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

We did it!  Clear as day.

Yeah, probably more 'versions' than anyone 'officially' realises...
wink.gif

My pair before reshell was neutral darkish (official audiophile term) and now neutral slightishy darkish

Could this be fit related?  I know EarSonics products are very ear tip dependent, but you would figure a CIEM should be tuned properly.  However, I have always wondered about the differences that could occur depending on the particular ear.

Mimouille, why was your SE5 reshelled?  I would think it is natural for some sonic change with a reshell to fix an improper fit.

Guys the sound signature I like is the Beyer T90....I am not sure what customs should I get? I tested the K10, V8 and Dita Audio The Answer which just can't seem to cut it for me. They have that kind of "veil" which I can't seem to pinpoint whereas the T90 or my Quad 12L speakers lets me hear it like an extension of my own ear.

I am an amateur in this so don't judge me too much :p

I have heard several Beyer headphones, but not the T90.  The ones I have heard are on the brighter side and per our discussion above, which is probably might not be the best to read for an "amateur" 
wink.gif
, there are a few categories.

CIEMs that I have heard that would be close to the Beyer sound include the Hidition lineup, Rooth LS-6 & LS-8, Lear LCM-5, Ultimate Ears IERM.  I know there are others, so what is your price point?

Also, what source are you using for the T90, and are you using that same source for the CIEM demos?  If you are using a different source for comparing the two, that could be the issue.

Another thing to think about is that there is an inherent presentation difference between headphones and IEMs.  While not as big as between headphones and speakers, it is typically more of an in-head experience, but with better imaging and detail that may take your brain some time to get used to.

can anyone name me some universals or customs with sound signature relatively similar to the ORGANIC se 5way?

Here are some off the top of my head, with similarities to varying degrees: V-Sonic GR07, EarSonics lineup, Westone lineup, Rhines/Vision Stage 4; Fit Ear PS-5, ACS T1, Perfect Seal Fusion 11, and Lime Ears LE3b.  Also, check out warm and smooth here.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,959 of 4,841
  Yeah, probably more 'versions' than anyone 'officially' realises...
wink.gif

My pair before reshell was neutral darkish (official audiophile term) and now neutral slightishy darkish

Quote:

Could this be fit related?  I know EarSonics products are very ear tip dependent, but you would figure a CIEM should be tuned properly.  However, I have always wondered about the differences that could occur depending on the particular ear.

In some cases, yes, I'm sure this may be the primary factor for differences in user-impressions of the SE-5s sound, and I acknowledge that the current SE-5 shell has an above-average ear-canal length, which may interact in unexpected ways with some people's ear anatomy, if, for example, they have convolutions in their ear canal immediately adjacent to the tip of the shell.

But, in my case (and 2 other people that I personally know of) I am firmly convinced there is a more fundamental reason, although I will refrain from elaborating (sorry).

Quote:

We did it!  Clear as day.

Hmmm....
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

I appreciate your continuing to engage with this thread, Joe. Your hands-on familiarity with such a vast array of CIEMs is a very valuable asset to the head-fi community
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,960 of 4,841
I can confirm that all the SE5s (three of them are mine) I listened so far are top class.

However my two SE5s (with me now) clearly sound different. And my newer SE5 has shorter canal lengths than the older one. In my honest opinion, I don't really think canal length is significant enough to change the SE5's whole sound signature.  I do enjoy both of my SE5s. Although none of this matters now,  I wonder which one of my SE5s sounds the same as the one AJ reviewed. 

Because my older SE5 was actually finished later than AJ's "newer" SE5 that he reviewed. 

Interesting.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back