Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,211 of 4,841
Well, something more of this kind. It's just single magnetic pole - more like a dynamic speaker (single pole dynamic drivers have been out of production for years, they are highly effective - very high SPL), but the diaphragm construction is more like an armature, the result is pretty much gaining advantage of both worlds.

So why aren't they more used?
Would they work in a silicone shell?

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,212 of 4,841
Quote:
I do think the angled connectors are better, as they take the strain away from the soldered connection, increasing reliability IMO. Ergonomically, it's about the same. I'm a proponent, though, and companies like UM agree --- they're switching over to the UE-style connectors. ALO is also revising their IEM cables into the angled style.

I agree, it can reduce strain, however a properly angled jack with a memory wire cable seems to have minimal strain anyways, at least in my ears.  I do like the UE plug though as it is very robust.

Quote:
Wow, the Hidition Hear First is really interesting...

GoldenEars recently posted measurements of it, and it's basically ruler flat, with just some loss of 10k+ bandwidth.

There's no bass roll-off, which is confounding, because this is supposed to be a single BA? I'm not sure about that (the BA part) --- feels more like a dynamic to me.

There's some ringing just below 6k, but it should be fine. If anything, it'll boost clarity.

The impedance at 1kHz is an awesome 173 ohms (with absolute lowest impedance at around 90-100 ohms), so no one has to worry about source OI.

The subjective ratings on it are pretty good too. All this for <$200 USD? Hmmmm... color me interested.

Thanks for sharing, will have a chance to listen to it?  I did like the e-Q7 and GR8, but with improvements I hear between customized fit and universal fit, I would think a moving armature, if that is what it is, has the possibility of sounding very good for the price.  

Quote:
Yes and no, these are not typical BA driver. It's more of a hybrid of dynamic and BA
Well, something more of this kind. It's just single magnetic pole - more like a dynamic speaker (single pole dynamic drivers have been out of production for years, they are highly effective - very high SPL), but the diaphragm construction is more like an armature, the result is pretty much gaining advantage of both worlds.
Yep, and Ortofon e-Q5, e-Q7

Or a trade-off of both worlds.  I think BAs are more detailed and dynamics have more note sustainment capability, but I have only heard 2 MAs (this was in comparison with similarly priced IEMs).  There was a dryness and dynamics weren't the best from what I remember, however I do remember the e-Q7 synergizing with the Rx amp.  I was in contact with Yashima years ago and they were working on some new products, so I wonder how much improvement, if any, there could be for new products.  OK, too much speculation; someone please let us know what Hidition (or Yashima) says...  

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,213 of 4,841
Quote:
Would they work in a silicone shell?

come on man, it's like saying to a kid "do you think this chocolate bar is tasty?" :D

Quote:
Or a trade-off of both worlds.  I think BAs are more detailed and dynamics have more note sustainment capability, but I have only heard 2 MAs (this was in comparison with similarly priced IEMs).  There was a dryness and dynamics weren't the best from what I remember, however I do remember the e-Q7 synergizing with the Rx amp.  I was in contact with Yashima years ago and they were working on some new products, so I wonder how much improvement, if any, there could be for new products.  OK, too much speculation; someone please let us know what Hidition (or Yashima) says...

I remember e-Q7 having good sense of space and fine separation but they were slightly dry - like the midrange was underdamped.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3,214 of 4,841
I agree, it can reduce strain, however a properly angled jack with a memory wire cable seems to have minimal strain anyways, at least in my ears.  I do like the UE plug though as it is very robust.

Not to mention watertight.

I was in contact with Yashima years ago and they were working on some new products, so I wonder how much improvement, if any, there could be for new products.  OK, too much speculation; someone please let us know what Hidition (or Yashima) says...  

The article I linked to previously dates from 2007. The latest one dates from 2010, but does not mention any product evolution.

come on man, it's like saying to a kid "do you think this chocolate bar is tasty?" :D

Well, now that you've finished designing three BA silicone CIEMs, I thought you'd get bored without a new, interesting -- nay, exciting -- challenge. :evil:

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3,215 of 4,841
Quote:
Well, now that you've finished designing three BA silicone CIEMs, I thought you'd get bored without a new, interesting -- nay, exciting -- challenge.
evil_smiley.gif

My mind is full of crazy ideas :D ask Tom. There's at least one challenge I have to complete, but I can't pretty much talk about it for obvious reasons. :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,221 of 4,841
Well, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your ideas and labours, Piotr  
size]

Incidentally, thankyou for your informative contributions in this thread and the DIY CIEM thread. It's not easy for laypersons to get a good grasp of the nuances of CIEM design without those in the industry sharing some knowledge, so I appreciate your posts.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #3,222 of 4,841
Just in case someone might be interested - i was inquiring about ASG-2 and asked about cables:

Me said:
 Any chances you might get some new stock cables in future? Like those with angled sockets in some of your renders. *pic*

Aurisonics said:
 They do have angled sockets now like the renderings on our website. We are always developing product here at Aurisonics, and we are very proud of whatever we send out, so there is a very good chance that there will be new stock cables in the future.

So apparently they actually done it. Not sure if new cables available for sale separately yet, but you can always ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back