MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Aug 20, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #257 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. Can anyone tell me if using bowls results to a bright sound with tight bass?

I want soundstage and punchy bass in one package. It seems that it's impossible to get them both at once!

Using bowls = more soundstage/less bass. Flats = less soundstage/more bass
Comfies = no no.

Can anyone give a viable solution to my problem? Again, I want soundstage + bass at once.

Thanks!

Bowls for me:
Clarity, medium soundstage and tight but not that low bass (not like beyers).

Flats for me:
Very Sennheiser like, a bit like 650. Not a harsh tone to be found. Have not heard any sibilance at all yet. Not even on my most sibilant recordings. The downside is that they are thick like syrup. The bass is not that tight anymore. The brightness and clarity from bowls are nowhere to be found. Everything sounds recessed to me. But they have uses, like on sibilant recordings.

Edit:
Flats soundstage:
For me the soundstage is smaller for the most part, but some sounds seems very far away. Like it is a grado but really tries to be a hd650 at times.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #258 of 512
I ordered a pair of MS-2i's from Alessandro yesterday (it's next to impossible to get a pair through the FS forum), and it looks like they've already charged my credit card. So hopefully they'll be here soon.
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #259 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by meuler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair of MS-2i's from Alessandro yesterday (it's next to impossible to get a pair through the FS forum), and it looks like they've already charged my credit card. So hopefully they'll be here soon.
icon10.gif

I had mine in two days.
cool.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #261 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had mine in two days.
cool.gif

It took something like two weeks to receive my MS-1s, so getting them in two days would be a very pleasant surprise. Here's hoping.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #262 of 512
I've been wearing my MS2i almost exclusively for the last week or so. I received 15 new blues CDs from another Head-Fier(Thanks Rick!)and I find the MS2i were just made for this stuff!

George said he wanted John to make him some phones that he could sell along with his guitar amps to guitar types, and John really did the trick with these guys!

....now if George could make some nice tube amps just for cans!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #263 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wearing my MS2i almost exclusively for the last week or so. I received 15 new blues CDs from another Head-Fier(Thanks Rick!)and I find the MS2i were just made for this stuff!

George said he wanted John to make him some phones that he could sell along with his guitar amps to guitar types, and John really did the trick with these guys!

....now if George could make some nice tube amps just for cans!
very_evil_smiley.gif

It would be great to see Alessandro making headphone amps. And not just tuned RA-1s or something!

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #264 of 512
There are numerous DIY tube amps that sound wonderful. Time to get your hands dirty!

Question for F107plus5 - I know you have the MS1 and 2, how much dos the bass improve with the 2 (quanity/quality)? I want to upgrade my 225 to an MS2 but only if I am going to get more deep bass. When I compared the MS1 to the 225, the MS1 had more bass but it wasn't as defined as the 225. I am hoping the MS2 could be the end of the Grado line for me.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #265 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are numerous DIY tube amps that sound wonderful. Time to get your hands dirty!

Question for F107plus5 - I know you have the MS1 and 2, how much dos the bass improve with the 2 (quanity/quality)? I want to upgrade my 225 to an MS2 but only if I am going to get more deep bass. When I compared the MS1 to the 225, the MS1 had more bass but it wasn't as defined as the 225. I am hoping the MS2 could be the end of the Grado line for me.

The bass on the MS2i is noticeably deeper and more well defined than the MS-1, but not by a great big substantial amount. The main thing that I like about the MS2i is how much "bigger" everything seems. Everything just seems to open out a bit and get clearer and more defined in all areas of SQ.

So yeah; the bass IS deeper and better than MS-1, but a bass monster it sure ain't!

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #266 of 512
I like what you said about everything being bigger, that is part of what I am looking for. I sometimes use the 225s for some modern rock/pop, like Maroon 5, but sometimes there are bass notes that just aren't there with the 225 and some deep bass drums kicks on other rock songs. Looks like I might have to buy and try.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #268 of 512
Quote:

I want to upgrade my 225 to an MS2 but only if I am going to get more deep bass.

I've owned both the 225 and MS2i and did lengthy A/B comparisons for several days. Using bowl pads for both, the MS2i definately has more bass, actually a little too much in my system (Ack Dac D/A converter, GS-1 amp).

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #269 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both the 225 and MS2i and did lengthy A/B comparisons for several days. Using bowl pads for both, the MS2i definately has more bass, actually a little too much in my system (Ack Dac D/A converter, GS-1 amp).

So he sold me his MS2i's and I'm loving them. Using bowls and flats depending on what I'm listening to and the Zana just does wonderful things with these cans.

A_Sr.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #270 of 512
Quote:

I like what you said about everything being bigger, that is part of what I am looking for. I sometimes use the 225s for some modern rock/pop, like Maroon 5, but sometimes there are bass notes that just aren't there with the 225 and some deep bass drums kicks on other rock songs. Looks like I might have to buy and try.

I've compared a lot of the same songs between MS2i and HD600, and although the HD600 seems to go just a little deeper than MS2i, I can't say that I've noticed any notes actually missing, and that includes some pretty deep stuff with the longer pipe organ pipes. To my taste in music the MS2i and HD600 are a pretty good match in SQ and both sound quite natural and satisfying when playing their own favorite styles of music.

A number of folks seemed to have ended up with MS2i as final phones, and I believe that I'm quite likely one of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back