MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #226 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm another one who was bitten by the Upgaditus(Upgradotus Bug?)right away too.

...they pack them with MS-1 in the Pizza Boxes ya know. But yeah; it also took me a few months of study to determine if MS2i were the right one to get next. And it was. And it will probably be my final set of cans from the lighter side. The wider MS-Pro headband went a long way to keep me from looking higher!*whew*Otherwise....

I too am concentrating on upgrading the rest of my system to try to equal my MS2i and HD600, not necessarily trying to surpass them, but to get the best from these very, very-near-the-ideal sets of phones.

The Singlepower PPX3/ MPX3 SLAM models with 5687 output tubes are AWESOME with the MS2i .... and the Sound Quest SQ-84 is another great match.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #227 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, maybe you're right. Definetely the wrong place here to be critical on "extended" consumership & questions of having versus being.
plainface.gif

lol!

I do think everyone should keep asking themself the question whether an upcoming purchase is based on needs/wants/unresolved problems (I said it was a bit harsh as you didn't know the person, not definitely wrong
tongue.gif
) ... but I also agree that Head-Fi is a place where you're likely to get attacked for expressing that idea (as I can guess there's lots of ppl here buying to fill the emptiness inside like some of the compulsive tweakers).

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #228 of 512
Just to put it in the record 'cause I didn't see it anywhere in this thread, the Alessandro return policy (spoke to George) is one week with a 10% restocking fee. Better like 'em!

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #229 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Singlepower PPX3/ MPX3 SLAM models with 5687 output tubes are AWESOME with the MS2i .... and the Sound Quest SQ-84 is another great match.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta admit; the PPX3 looks real good! The MPX3 and SQ-84 are both "way" outta my budget since we adopted our four grandkids!
tongue.gif

Even the WA-6 is a budget buster, but I like what it can do for both my MS2i and HD600.

....I was also lookin' at OTL WA3 or +(probably + of the two) for HD600 and maybe after wallet rehabilitation, Glite for MS2i a year or so later to keep it neutral, but it's all up in the air yet. Got lots of time for study!
icon10.gif

lots of time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #230 of 512
Hey F112 (do you mind the nickname?), I just ordered my MS-2is today from George. Said they'd probably arrive by end of the week. Can't wait to hear them, so I know what you're talkin' about!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #231 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey F112 (do you mind the nickname?), I just ordered my MS-2is today from George. Said they'd probably arrive by end of the week. Can't wait to hear them, so I know what you're talkin' about!
smily_headphones1.gif

welcome to the club... I bet you won't be disappointed!

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #232 of 512
Hey guys,

Just got my mini adaptor and plugged my MS2i into the headphone jack of my Musiland MD-10...!! Somehow it doesn't sound as good as my ATH-AD900...
blink.gif

Does it really need an amp to shine? Or is it because of my DAC?

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #233 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright! The F112 nickname is cool.
cool.gif
It's even in my avatar!

Just as MS2i is "more of an MS-1", F112 is "more of an F107"! Good analogy!

But, as I like to say: "If you like MS-1; yer really gonna like MS2i"! What scares me though is when someone goes right into MS2i without trying MS-1 first. Cause like tz3ling just said: "Somehow it doesn't sound as good as my ATH-AD900..."

Oops; Yeah, it can sometimes happen.
frown.gif

Thankfully MS2i are a nice friendly sounding set of cans, so it normally works out ok. We'll keep our fingers crossed for ya.
tongue.gif

....and I'd even answer to "FJ44".....it's really just a bigger nicer F112!
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #234 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by tz3ling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Just got my mini adaptor and plugged my MS2i into the headphone jack of my Musiland MD-10...!! Somehow it doesn't sound as good as my ATH-AD900...
blink.gif

I've never listened to my MS2i unamped, but I've noticed that MS-1 does sound somewhat better with one. I suspect that the MS2i will as well. Most folks do seem to think that the MS2i really enjoys running with a good amp.

But it may just be that you prefer the "sound" of the AD900 more than the MS2i. And that's fully understandable.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #235 of 512
Heh, thanks Televator. I'm pretty excited to hear Alessandro again after (a) learning how to listen critically and (b) listening critically on the RS-1s for a long time.

Hey, I owned the MS-1s for a few months before trading up for some RS-1s. I'm just so curious to hear these MS-2is for myself ....

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #236 of 512
Quote:

Hey guys,

blink.gif

Just try and describe what sounds off/less good with the MS2i to your ears? This might help us determine the cause as there are lots of reasons possible and splurging money on an amp might not be the best solution.

It could be the jump between two sound characters (ATH & Alessandro) and it will pass with time, but it could also be that you like ATH-sound better than Alessandro/Grado sound (ever heard another A/G before?). I have the A900 (the closed, no 'D' version) and evidently I notice the big difference in sound, but I also notice my preference as I even prefer the SR-60 over the A900.

It could be an amp issue, but I have never heard my MS2i unamped. The SR-60 does benefit from an amp (sounds fuller overall and the bass is more prominent+less muddy).

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #238 of 512
Oops, forgot to mention... I actually own SR60s and SR80s. Loved the Grado sound so I pulled the trigger on a second-hand pair of MS2i. There's an overall improvement but somehow I just didn't feel the "WOW!" when first listening to them...
frown.gif
Get what I mean? Maybe I should compare them a little more before I can pinpoint what I like/dislike about change
tongue.gif
Considering whether I should get an amp... Whaddya guys reckon?

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #239 of 512
There is also the small chance that you just don't like Alessandros versus Grados, although the difference as a heck of a lot more subtle than it sometimes sounds like from discussions, I think. Might actually be time for a dedicated amp.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #240 of 512
Quote:

Oops, forgot to mention... I actually own SR60s and SR80s. Loved the Grado sound so I pulled the trigger on a second-hand pair of MS2i. There's an overall improvement but somehow I just didn't feel the "WOW!" when first listening to them...

ah, that sounds very understandable... upgrading within one family rarely gives an instant WOW-effect (the higher you climb the smaller the increase in quality)

Just try listening to your MS2i for a couple of days/weeks and then going back to the SR-60/SR-80 and you'll really hear the difference and go wow afterall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back