MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,181 of 5,796

MrSpeakers:
                   Is there a chance we can get a picture of what these pads will look like.. Kinda curious about the hole size and shape... Will the angle be the same as on the original flow pads? 

If they are the same as what I saw at RMAF, they're quite similar in shape to what you would see on a K-series AKG. just a round doughnut shaped ear pad. I don't remember them being angled however.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,182 of 5,796
  Now with the C Flows I'm loving the sound even more, but they're just not quite as comfortable for me as the original C's.  I'm not sure if it's the weight, more clamping force, or what, but it seems to make my left ear/side of my face congested.  Maybe the new electrostatic pads would help with that.  I'm willing to try the Z1R's though to see if they're more comfortable, but I can't see myself liking the sound with those as much from everything I've read.  For poorly mastered/bright recordings they'd probably be great with their warmer signature, but with well-mastered stuff the C Flows sound phenomenal to me with the perfect balance. 

The Z1R are like sleeping on a cloud and make the 800 feel uncomfy. They're not that dark or smoothed out on the high end, and definitely have no problems switching between a Callas mono recording from 1950 to something masterfully engineered like Macy Gray on Chesky or <insert your favorite>

But back to the EFC, it might simply be headband clamp. If that is the case you can probably get them comfortable after a few nights of the pillow-hugging-trick.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,183 of 5,796
The Z1R are like sleeping on a cloud and make the 800 feel uncomfy. They're not that dark or smoothed out on the high end, and definitely have no problems switching between a Callas mono recording from 1950 to something masterfully engineered like Macy Gray on Chesky or

But back to the EFC, it might simply be headband clamp. If that is the case you can probably get them comfortable after a few nights of the pillow-hugging-trick.

Does that work? I would have thought that the use of Nitinol would prevent that working as it "remembers" it's shape but I could be wrong.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,184 of 5,796
Does that work? I would have thought that the use of Nitinol would prevent that working as it "remembers" it's shape but I could be wrong.

I'm not a materials engineer but it should work, at least temporarily. The Z1R has a beta titanium headband too and you can stretch it in a few seconds. It recovers clamp after some time (seems like days to me) but retains shape long enough.

I guess nickel titanium, being a beta will behave in the exact same way. But if you gave it a stretch before a listening session and it was stil uncomfortable, then the reason might not be clamp force.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,185 of 5,796
I owned them both at the same time for a while. The Ether C was missing some of the midbass crunch for metal/hard rock but overall I preferred it over the T5P. Ether C sounded more transparent with a bigger soundstage and more detail.

Many thanks for your feedback I just bought T5P they are on their way, if I dont like them than Ethers will be next to shop, but I really like these European companies like Focal and Beyerdyamic giving 5 year warranty on their high end headphones. I got these for 1/4 of the Etther price and if they sound 90% of Ether I am happy for another year :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,186 of 5,796
The NiTinol headband geometry and clamp can not be modified.  The material is called memory metal for very good reason.  Permanently deforming it is both difficult and irreversible, we do not suggest anyone try this.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #3,187 of 5,796
For what it's worth, the pads on the Flow seem a little stiffer than the Ether pads did. I wear glasses so it's caused a little more discomfort but I know the pads will break in.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,188 of 5,796
  Many thanks for your feedback I just bought T5P they are on their way, if I dont like them than Ethers will be next to shop, but I really like these European companies like Focal and Beyerdyamic giving 5 year warranty on their high end headphones. I got these for 1/4 of the Etther price and if they sound 90% of Ether I am happy for another year :)

you should be good as long as you like the tonality mate!
As we all know, getting that last 10% is the hardest part and involves a lot of efforts to get it.

I never heard the t5p or t5p second gen before, but I never heard something bad for the 2nd gen.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #3,189 of 5,796
I have lost respect of Dan and Mrspeakers for pulling all strings to make Tyll apologies and put the Ether C flow on his wall of fame despite's not liking it.

I sincerely apologies to Dan and his colleagues for my comments, Tyll did confirmed that there was no external pressure on him to rate Ether C Flow and it was his personal preference againts the Neutrality of Ether C which resulted him making a bad call.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,191 of 5,796

It seems there is more than one in the same situation here, including myself... 
biggrin.gif

Waiting for the T5P 2.gen and preparing an AB with the C Flows.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #3,192 of 5,796
Had the T5p's... modified them as well, and I never really did like them... well I liked them but not enough to keep them. They had nice imaging and good mids but bass was very lacking and the mid-high transition... yikes... The gel pads were the saviors though. But they are extremely hard to get (AFAIK).

Anyway, like the Flow Cs more than the T5p... but you can find the first gen pretty cheap, especially used...

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #3,193 of 5,796
  I'm considering getting the Ether Flow or HE-1000. Can anyone tell me the differences between the two?

Better yet, I'm most familiar with the HE-500 and LCD2, with the HE-500 being my preferred sound signature. So what can I expect from the Flow compared to these two? I'm assuming quite a step up.

I'm all about musicality more than anything else. Separation, impactful bass, and a fairly wide soundstage are also important to me.

I'll be using a the V200 amp with them.

I'm not sure how it will be with your set-up, but with my Yggdrasil + Studio Six set-up the Ether Flow is to me more up-front and impactful with more mid-bass. The HE1000 V2 has less mid-bass, but you notice the deep bass and vocals more. The bass isn't strong, as the whole presentation is more electrostat-like, the sound coming more delicately and precisely, but with a degree of planar-style impact when there is sufficient bass in the track.  The HE1000 V2 is more suited, to me, to listening to something like an orchestra where you want the feeling of the big drums at the back, but don't want them to overwhelm the other instruments. The Ether Flow I prefer with more modern music where I want more "loudness", where I'd be inclined to turn the volume up too much on the HE1000 (and HD800) to try and get that, if not EQ things to be a bit darker eg: with the Soundgarden track I'm listening to as I write this.

I haven't tried the latest LCD-2, but my early SN pair of LCD-X are darker-sounding overall than the Ether, if not the Ether Flow. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,194 of 5,796

..... The Ether Flow I prefer with more modern music where I want more "loudness", where I'd be inclined to turn the volume up too much on the HE1000 (and HD800) to try and get that.......

I will second that the Flow is a fantastic headphone for moderate listening volumes. It does a great job of maintaining the same signature at low and high volumes, which I cannot say for many of the high-end offerings I've demoed.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,195 of 5,796

I will second that the Flow is a fantastic headphone for moderate listening volumes. It does a great job of maintaining the same signature at low and high volumes, which I cannot say for many of the high-end offerings I've demoed.

That is precisely the problem I encountered when demoing the Senn HD800S for a week.  I was constantly adjusting the volume to maintain the same signature.  What was great during a dynamic passage was totally inadequate during a slow peaceful passage.  My ETHER(hopefully upgraded to Flow status soon) and LCD-X do not have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back