MP3 Player headphones
Aug 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dan1121

New Head-Fier
Hi there, brand new meat here

Although I have been researching a lot recently into which headphones to buy, so I know a certain amount, I've only just now realised that maybe more expensive headphones are not worth it when used with an MP3 player not a hi-fi?
Any help would be appreciated greatly
Thanks

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 11
it depends on the MP3 player

The quality of file you place on it

And how you connect it to the headphones.

You can build a portable rig for a HD800, it will still have all the quality you want, but then it's a bit large to fit into your pocket.

My portable is my Grado Sr80i with my Sansa Clip+ of Cowon S9. Sounds good for on the go and just shy of what I get from my home system.

And most people here run from digital sources.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you, however some of that is over my head, I've been looking at those Grado's and am interested, but what are the other systems you're mentioning, are they portable amps ? If so would you mind explaining what they do?

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thank you, however some of that is over my head, I've been looking at those Grado's and am interested, but what are the other systems you're mentioning, are they portable amps ? If so would you mind explaining what they do?

First you choose a source. Clip+ is cheap and very good.

Then you find a headphone. Now depending on the headphone, you MIGHT need a amp to go along with them.

A amp amplifies the power from the source and pushes the headphones. If the headphones need power, (like over 32ohm impedance) then you might want to look into a amp.

then there are DAC with convert the digital signal over to analog for the headphones. This is not truly needed since only a few number of headphones are picky with analog signal.

Clip+ has a lot of power coming form it, and a Grado runs at 32ohm. They all run at 32ohms.

If your interested in a headphone and possible source just give me this:

Price Range ($100 good for headphones, $50 for source)
Music Genres
Preferences (like comfort, sound, looks)
And if you want them kinda portable or not. I can give you a fullsized, but as a portable, we go around the neck here. No pocketing the headphones. There's a different forum for that.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Hi there, brand new meat here

Although I have been researching a lot recently into which headphones to buy, so I know a certain amount, I've only just now realised that maybe more expensive headphones are not worth it when used with an MP3 player not a hi-fi?
Any help would be appreciated greatly
Thanks

Heya,

The only thing that matters is having a good quality source audio, most MP3's are compressed in lower bit rates. So you need to make sure your bit rates on your MP3's are higher. 320kbps is considered great around here. I personally consider lossless (FLAC) the only way to go. I do however listen to 192kbps streams off Pandora and find them sounding pretty good knowing they're compressed. So it basically comes down to what you can stand before you start to hear the compression flaws. Expensive headphones don't matter. What matters is high quality headphones. Money is relative in this hobby. Good high quality music files and a good headphone will sound great.

What kind of music do you listen to?
And what is your MP3 player (source)?
Budget for headphone?

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 11
You lot are great !
Ok so it goes, MP3 player - source - amp - headphones ?
Im using an ipod classic, 160gb
i plan to get some cheap headphones for sport, such as sennheiser hd202's, and then some more aimed at home listening, or listening when im out casually
my budget is £130, which is about 200 dollars these days I think, and so far I like the SH rs180's, Grado SR60i's and 80i's, fanny wang on ears, sony DR-BT50. Denon AH-D1100, Goldring NS 1000 and the audio technica ath-anc7B, so I have done some research, but was wondering whether any are less suited to mp3 players
my music genres are quite varied, as I listen to a lot of hip hop, but also just as much softer acoustic stuff, so I guess thats quite hard to deal with
thanks very much

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 11
oh and also the comfort and looks are quite important, but i like a lot of different styles ive seen so theres not one particular style I prefer
just please dont recommend beats or all my friends will have been proved right

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 11
Heya,

MP3 player is your source (DAC & has your music files) -> Headphone. Alternatively, MP3 player -> portable amp -> headphone should you get a headphone that requires a portable amp. I suggest you stick to things that don't need an amp due to your budget range.

Suggested headphones that will give you good acoustic and hip/hop means you probably should get something closer to neutral.

Shure 840
Fischer Audio FA-003
Audio-Technica M50
BeyerDynamic DT660
Grado SR225i
Ultrasone Pro 550
Sennheiser HD380

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 11
one more question, can you tell me whether a portable amp would be advised for these headphones...

Sennheiser HD 380
Shure 840
Grado s225i
Beyerdynamic dt660
audio technica ath-es7
goldring ns1000
denon ah d1100
audio technica ath-anc7b
sennheiser hd595

thank you again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back