Most under-rated headphones...
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #151 of 362
Quote:
I think the biggest drive right now is the "headphones as fashion accessory" coupled with the whole iPod generation noise that you're getting at - and that'll die down as those people age and buy into speakers (which is the interesting bit of the trend - and I base this on what I've observed here, lots of kiddos buying headphones for college or because mom and dad are sick of hearing their PC speakers, and it's a compromise for them; a lot of longer-time posters seem to be getting that maybe Erik had the right idea all along).
Oh and remember that, at least in the US, most of those "aging hi-fi guys" are up to their hairline in debt and barely treading water to stay in their houses.

That is so true, I had a kid ask where he can buy fake beats because he couldn't afford real one and was willing to spend up to $100.
I told him for $100 he can get headphones that sound just as bassy and sound better than beats, but he didn't care all he wanted was to buy beats.

This was his response:

im not an audiofile, so the quality of the sound won't really bother me and i won't really notice it, i don't care about other brands of headphones. I'm just wondering about beats in particular

It's one thing to not know beats are crappy and bought them because of hype/mistake, but it's a whole other thing to know they are crap but still want them anyway.
Kids these days would rather spend big $$ for fake beats than use that money on headphones that sound better than real beats.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #152 of 362
Another vote for Sony CD900ST, however the stock pads are too swallow in my case and I need to swap in the Beyer DT250 pads to make it sound proper. They are a little on the side of reticent and polite sounding and not for rockers, but it has very good detail for the price and get the tone right, provided the upstream equipment is up to it. Sold my twice more expensive Grado RS2i after getting these.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #153 of 362
It's flamebait guys, try to ignore it.  But just in case y'all can't (Lord knows I barely held it in), lemme get all comfy for this...

popcorn.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #154 of 362
Quote:
I don't know what's weirder yet simultaneously cooler - that you wear GS-1000's in public, or that you share so willingly.

Life is too short for shame sometimes 
smile.gif

Truth be told, I don't think they look anymore ridiculous than anyone tackling the streets with a Sony XB1000/XB700,
 the GS1000i has a classic form about it, the Sony looks like an amalgamation resulting from a speaker and a Monster truck.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #155 of 362
Quote:

Life is too short for shame sometimes 
smile.gif

Truth be told, I don't think they look anymore ridiculous than anyone tackling the streets with a Sony XB1000/XB700,
 the GS1000i has a classic form about it, the Sony looks like an amalgamation resulting from a speaker and a Monster truck.

I think the XB700 is passable. The XB1000 just looks like you pasted a pair of foam training wheels to your ears.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #158 of 362
Jul 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #159 of 362
Quote:

I'd actually say those are over rated. Have you seen the main thread?

Wasn't really a fan of their sound.

I have to agree here. Just because they sound pretty good for the price doesn't mean they're underrated, it means they're a good value. These are actually quite overhyped and have occupied FOTM status for a long time. They're not underrated by any definition of the term.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #160 of 362
Quote:
I have to agree here. Just because they sound pretty good for the price doesn't mean they're underrated, it means they're a good value. These are actually quite overhyped and have occupied FOTM status for a long time. They're not underrated by any definition of the term.

Well are we talking underrated here or in the general public? I think the general public would not assume this headphone was halfway decent from the price and maker, to me that makes it underrated. If it has been beat to death on these boards, well that's a different story.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #161 of 362
Jul 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #162 of 362
Quote:
Another vote for Sony CD900ST, however the stock pads are too swallow in my case and I need to swap in the Beyer DT250 pads to make it sound proper. They are a little on the side of reticent and polite sounding and not for rockers, but it has very good detail for the price and get the tone right, provided the upstream equipment is up to it. Sold my twice more expensive Grado RS2i after getting these.

I wasn't a big fan of the Beyer pads. Seemed like they dropped the mids out a little bit, and that's what I find so special about the CD900ST's.

I could definitely see swapping out the pads for more comfort though. They're practically on-ear headphones with the stock pads, though thankfully the clamp force is light.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #163 of 362
Yeah when I heard the "made from Autobots" comment all I thought of was XB1000s - I saw a guy on the train wearing them once. He looked pretty into it, so I didn't want to bother him about them, but yeah - VERY BIG HEADPHONES. :floatsmile: From doing a bit more research on the HDJs, they seem to be one of the lighter closed-back cans I've found, at ~290g, and Pioneer makes a nice hard-case for them (for an extra $40); but Tyll mentioned they don't isolate super-duper well. Very neat looking closed cans that I'd maybe like to hear some day, but I get the sense that tdockweiler has already expressed how I'd feel: a lotta money.

As far as under-rated - I'm thinking more for Head-Fiers, not "lets do Sony's market research for them" - so something like the Panasonic 600 is probably too well known. Still, good input, because I like value-oriented stuff in the face of "$600 gets you "mid-level"" mania.

CD900's are already up there (they're already pulled over, they can't pull over any more). :xf_eek:

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #164 of 362
Apple earbuds/dr beats, because at the end of the day they still sound better than the ones you buy at the dollar store. Though they are only under rated here on head fi mostly, in the real world they are highly over rated. We tend to exagerate and take the hatred quite far, though admitably some of it is very well deserved.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #165 of 362
Quote:
Okay, I'm just speculating here okay. But I think that there is a significant percentage of the headfi community who have no idea just how good the he400 is in the 300+ category....
ph34r.gif

Please share or give a review on them and if you have any experience with the HE300 please share that too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back