Most overrated headphones?
Apr 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #768 of 1,490
ATH-M50 
confused_face(1).gif
. Seriously a very overrated headphone, very average to me. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #770 of 1,490
Probably the V-Moda M-100s, and only on a few counts. Other people didn't seem to mind the v-shaped signature, but I hated how it'd cut vocals out of songs. I couln't wear them for more than 2 hours, or my ears would get sweaty and painful from having the drivers press on them. These are easy fixes. I might buy them again once V-Moda makes XL eapads.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #773 of 1,490
I have to agree that the CX300 were a real problem. Clean ears? Yes? Earwax? Sure. Screens plugged up until no sound was audible and attempts to clean then were futile.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #774 of 1,490
Quote:

Great that you agree with me, regarding the speed of the srh940. The hd800 is quick (compared to the other senn headphones) ,  but sounds a bit slow when you are used to the srh940.

What are you driving the Senns with? I own both and the SRH 940 definitely sound slower, but with sharper glare. Are you even sure what speed is?...
blink.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #775 of 1,490
Quote:
What are you driving the Senns with? I own both and the SRH 940 definitely sound slower, but with sharper glare. Are you even sure what speed is?...
blink.gif

The srh940 provide a better "adrenaline rush", while listening fast paced music, which is not much the case of the hd800. Now I don't know if it's from from artificial aspects ("sharper glare" ? ) , but the end result is the same to me.
What is speed for you ? For me , it's how it's the ability  to convey the sensation of speed, with fast music.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #776 of 1,490
For some reason I found Sennheiser HD650 really bland and boring to listen to. It might be a sound signature thing though, and I should probably give them more than 15 minutes of listening before a final verdict. Getting used to Grado RS1i's kinda has made me lean towards bright headphones. Might still end up getting something more neutral than that and DT990 at some point either way.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #777 of 1,490
Quote:
The srh940 provide a better "adrenaline rush", while listening fast paced music, which is not much the case of the hd800. Now I don't know if it's from from artificial aspects ("sharper glare" ? ) , but the end result is the same to me.
What is speed for you ? For me , it's how it's the ability  to convey the sensation of speed, with fast music.

For me, and the way I think it's supposed to be interpreted, is the ability of driver movement to decay quickly. So when you get an electrical impulse that makes the driver push air, the faster it recovers, the faster it cuts off nonexistent harmonics (quicker response = more accurate portrayal of sound and less distortion). That's why higher end headphones, and especially speakers have much firmer driver membranes and require a larger impedance load; they require much more power (current) to make them push air properly, but also recover from input quicker.

The drivers on the SRH 940 are good, but they are very similar to the SRH 840 ones except with better soldering and has a much better dampened chamber. The bass becomes tighter and the highs therefore strike more, hence the stronger attack. The 940's aren't faster than the 800's, they just have more treble attack, just like many of the grados or beyers out there. They are more direct and the fact that the driver doesn't breathe because of the closed cup causes the highs to stagnate inside the chamber and feel like there's a lot of "detail".

Try a test tone generator and go as far as you can hear with it with each respective headphone. Then you'll know for sure which is more extended. Also the tone itself should sound sharper with the HD800's whereas the 940's will sound like there's a bit of white noise mixed with the tone around 10-15khz (more aggressive/ adrenaline rush). I hear up to 15.5khz with the 940's and clearly up to 17khz and very faintly up to 17.5khz with the HD800's.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #778 of 1,490
Quote:
blink.gif

I was at Jaben listening to HD800. IDK what amp it was, but guessing it was an decent amp(i mean at jaben, won't they place it with a good amp?) and I am driving my 940 out of schiit Modi/Magni.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #779 of 1,490
Quote:
For some reason I found Sennheiser HD650 really bland and boring to listen to. It might be a sound signature thing though, and I should probably give them more than 15 minutes of listening before a final verdict. Getting used to Grado RS1i's kinda has made me lean towards bright headphones. Might still end up getting something more neutral than that and DT990 at some point either way.

I found the HD598 to be lifeless and dead. That is being compared to SRH940.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #780 of 1,490
Quote:

HD650 are by far the most overrated. The fact they're still $500 shows Senn knows how to toy with the audiophile market. They belong in the $200-$300 segment with the K701s and Beyers DT range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back