Most overrated headphones?
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #751 of 1,490
So one is metal and one is plastic? Another one is wood, another carbon fiber. It isn't what the material is, it's how it's made and put together, and how it is tuned to the driver.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #752 of 1,490
Ok, this is my comment about the AKG Q701: It felt cheap. No further discussion to change my mind. The Mad Dogs don't feel cheap, the DT880's don't feel cheap, and the Heir Audio 4.Ai's don't feel cheap.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #753 of 1,490
And they're overrated because?

They feel "cheap" because they're light. The T50RP is heavy because its headband is metal. The K701 is so light because of its design. The outer ring portion doesn't seem to serve much use other than help to increase the earpad's diameter. The driver fires back into the section immediately behind it. The headband's probably what's tipping you off to the cheap feeling because a lot of the weight in most other headphones actually is in the headband, if not the cups, which are basically nonexistent on the K70X. Since they have neither, they're awfully light.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #754 of 1,490
Quote:
And they're overrated because?

They feel "cheap" because they're light. The T50RP is heavy because its headband is metal. The K701 is so light because of its design. The outer ring portion doesn't seem to serve much use other than help to increase the earpad's diameter. The driver fires back into the section immediately behind it. The headband's probably what's tipping you off to the cheap feeling because a lot of the weight in most other headphones actually is in the headband, if not the cups, which are basically nonexistent on the K70X. Since they have neither, they're awfully light.

I never said they were overrated. I just said they felt cheap. None of you are going to change my opinion, this is from personal experiance.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #755 of 1,490
I'm not saying you said it, I'm saying the title is 

So saying they're cheap-feeling isn't really relevant, even though they were talking about the K701 right before your post.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #756 of 1,490
Quote:
I'm not saying you said it, I'm saying the title is 

So saying they're cheap-feeling isn't really relevant, even though they were talking about the K701 right before your post.

Sorry, I was out of line
size]

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #757 of 1,490
And quite frankly the light weight design is very nice and appreciated for long listening sessions. Their clamp, and resting pressure is non existent. The weight of the cord is really the only "weight" to these. They're far from being cheap in build quality.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #758 of 1,490
And quite frankly the light weight design is very nice and appreciated for long listening sessions. Their clamp, and resting pressure is non existent. The weight of the cord is really the only "weight" to these. They're far from being cheap in build quality.

Ehhh the weight and clamping pressure WOULD be nice if the headband didn't have the infamous bumps in it that start to hurt your head after 1 and a half to 2 hours. I had them for almost a month before switching to hd600s, I've never looked back since then.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #759 of 1,490
For some reason my pair clamps enough to make my temples hurt after a while. But like other people said, with a warm amp, light EQ, and some modding, they're quite nice.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #761 of 1,490
I'm in no means an Audiophile, and I haven't tried a huge range of headphones, I honestly think that the MDR-v300 headphones from Sony are very overrated. Not the most overrated headphones ever, but when I posted a review of them on YouTube, I got a lot of comments from people saying that they love them, they're comfortable, worth the price ETC when in my opinion they are uncomfortable and sound like crap.

I didn't mention Beats because I don't consider them as headphones but rather I consider them as Plastic Neck Warmers, for fashion purposes.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #764 of 1,490
Quote:
I'm in no means an Audiophile, and I haven't tried a huge range of headphones, I honestly think that the MDR-v300 headphones from Sony are very overrated. Not the most overrated headphones ever, but when I posted a review of them on YouTube, I got a lot of comments from people saying that they love them, they're comfortable, worth the price ETC when in my opinion they are uncomfortable and sound like crap.

Haha. That's the pair I'm wearing right now and have been using for about ten years. Got them as a lowly teenager because they were on sale. I don't have much else to say, it's just that it's the first time I've seen anyone mention them on here. Hoping to replace them soon with something Head-Fi-approved.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #765 of 1,490
HE-400.

Currently highly recommended for rock music due to its strong bass presence and bright highs/dark mids, I felt like it was rather dull to listen to and lacked engagement. While it sounded great on electronica, it doesn't deserve to be considered a great choice for rock or aggressive music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back