Most overrated headphones?
May 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #841 of 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkAwesome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can actually hear all the way to 22kHz unlike a lot of people on this forum (judging from the hearing frequency range thread a while back) so if it is such a big deal, I should notice it... 

I suggest you perform this test , to check the claim:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=93733&view=findpost&p=787815
One potential problem, is that some  source suffer from aliasing during resampling, and this is what some hear while listening to high freq.

May 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #842 of 1,490
Quote:
It really doesn't. The V6 has a tendency to give the impression of well extended treble despite the sharper than normal roll off at 10kHz. The fact that it goes out to 5k without rolling off seems more important in the impression of extension. If you find the treble to be unnatural, I would point more at the Grado like 300Hz square wave response than the drop at 10kHz. I don't get the feeling that something is wrong with the treble, and I can actually hear all the way to 22kHz unlike a lot of people on this forum (judging from the hearing frequency range thread a while back) so if it is such a big deal, I should notice it... 

The HM5 still has a midbass hump. It's actually slightly worse than the V6's. I like a nice, reasonable hump in the midbass like a lot of other people, but a midbass hump isn't helping with flat and neutral. 

I think you should take the time to learn a little more on frequency response graphs, how they are made, and their limitations. Most people just think it's a straightforward graph, but you really have to understand the science behind it. 

May 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #844 of 1,490
Oh hey look, another argument that nobody else care about.

+1 there's plenty of other threads to talk about graphs and the science of sound. I forgot this was even the overrated headphones thread...

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #847 of 1,490
Unsure of the most overrrated headphone but one of the most underrated headphones here on head fi is the ultrasone pro2900. If you can pick up a pair of these for about $300 they compete quite nicely in the mid tier headphone range - right up there with the hd600/q701/dt880's of the world. I started a thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/681284/ultrasone-pro2900-the-hidden-gem#post_9835566 with my praise of this model along with some brief comparisons with some of the usual suspects. I now have been revisiting the Grado sound via a pair of MS2's that I picked up recently and still find myself gravitating toward the pro2900 for its soundstage and punch. Really want to see what the signature series offers.......The upward spiral continues.....

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #849 of 1,490
  under-recognized: Beyer DT 250 - 250 ohm
overrated: DT 880

I have to agree with you about the DT880. I had a pair of DT770s and then purchased the DT880s, they seemed like a huge step up in detail so I thought they were great then. But.. I started to get bored of the sound and put them up for trade in the classifieds and ended up swapping for a Sennheiser HD580 and I couldn't believe how much better they sounded. The DT880 really lacks in sound stage for being a semi-open headphone. It may have good, deep bass, but the mids are lost because of it and the highs just sting because they're so separated. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #850 of 1,490
 Overrated cans  are definitively JVC HA-RX700. They are in very good built quality.strong plastic, big 50mm driver, wide soundstage. but thats all   some of the critics said that they sounds  much better than some model headphones over 100 eur.
In my opinion they sounds just like for that price. bass section not have that clarity for the 50 mm. neodimium driver as i expected, also mids are in back position for  sounding stage.and the worst part is treble. as you put phones on flat position ,first thing that you notice is too much treble ....so EQ -ing WILL do some of the job... but for audiophile person that is not enough.  

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #851 of 1,490
Most Sony products... The older ones are good. Their new headphones just suck, and the build is sub-par. A pair of new 200$ Sony's feel like something that's 40$. Also, ath-m50x's, m-audio q40's, and a bunch of other headphones that get mislabeled as "Bass Cannons"

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #853 of 1,490
Grado SR80 imo
Not bad but Beyerdynamic Dt440 are available for similar money. A lot better and criminally ignored by comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back