Most overrated headphones?
Jun 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #856 of 1,490
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #857 of 1,490
  Anything that costs $2,000, or higher.

Forgive me, but whenever someone whose most expensive pair of headphones costs $70 says that everything at the extreme high end is the most overrated, that smacks of inexperience and a lack of fundamental understanding of what exactly you're getting with products at that level. Especially because, as far as I know, there are only four headphones at 2k or higher (LCD3, Stax SR007/9, and the Abyss, I'm not counting the Orpheus/Muramasa since they're not even consumer products). 

Every audiophile under the sun will readily admit that the law of diminishing returns exists in headphones and becomes more and more apparent the more you spend. Purchasing a luxury item is purchasing a luxury item. No one claims that the relationship between cost and sonic outcome is linear. People buy them because they are the creme de la creme and those with disposable income will spend it to spoil themselves. Simple as that. 

It's also entirely possible that you're feeling bitter because you can't afford high end merchandise, and that's something I also understand because I was a poor college student at one point as well who was elated to get a used pair of ATH-A700X. However, you can't call them overrated any more than you can call a giant plasma television or a Lamborghini "overrated". 

I don't own anything on that level, although my Pandoras are about $600 more than any of my friends would even think about spending, but I have to say that the purchasing mentality of the Pandoras was wildly different than, say, the M100. I've listened to some higher end merch (HiFiman HE6, Grado PS1000, LCD2, not in the 2k range but close), and obviously it's not "objectively" worth $1000 more than lower end stuff, but that doesn't mean those who have the money aren't justified in their desire to own them.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #858 of 1,490
My LCD3 phones have most assuredly been worth every penny I spent to acquire them. To say that any phones that are priced over $2000 are "over rated" is a ridiculous statement. I have many hundreds of hours of awesome listening to my phones and they are among the only antidote I have available for the stresses of surviving in a fairly harsh environment. Compared to drugs and television (or whatever) I would have to say my audio system has been absolutely one the most validated worthwhile expenditures I have EVER made. Anyone who makes a stupid remark like that either: 1) has never heard true hi-fi, 2) can't afford to buy the good stuff, or 3) is a troll.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #859 of 1,490
My LCD3 phones have most assuredly been worth every penny I spent to acquire them. To say that any phones that are priced over $2000 are "over rated" is a ridiculous statement. I have many hundreds of hours of awesome listening to my phones and they are among the only antidote I have available for the stresses of surviving in a fairly harsh environment. Compared to drugs and television (or whatever) I would have to say my audio system has been absolutely one the most validated worthwhile expenditures I have EVER made. Anyone who makes a stupid remark like that either: 1) has never heard true hi-fi, 2) can't afford to buy the good stuff, or 3) is a troll.

beerchug.gif

I had a friend ask why I spend as much as I do on these things. He spends his money just as frivolously, but not even on things he'll have the day after (drinking, expensive meals, etc). I figure my headphones cost as much as, say, nine or ten decent nights at a bar, and I've gotten months of constant enjoyment out of them.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #860 of 1,490

Forgive me, but whenever someone whose most expensive pair of headphones costs $70 says that everything at the extreme high end is the most overrated, that smacks of inexperience and a lack of fundamental understanding of what exactly you're getting with products at that level. Especially because, as far as I know, there are only four headphones at 2k or higher (LCD3, Stax SR007/9, and the Abyss, I'm not counting the Orpheus/Muramasa since they're not even consumer products). 

Every audiophile under the sun will readily admit that the law of diminishing returns exists in headphones and becomes more and more apparent the more you spend. Purchasing a luxury item is purchasing a luxury item. No one claims that the relationship between cost and sonic outcome is linear. People buy them because they are the creme de la creme and those with disposable income will spend it to spoil themselves. Simple as that. 

It's also entirely possible that you're feeling bitter because you can't afford high end merchandise, and that's something I also understand because I was a poor college student at one point as well who was elated to get a used pair of ATH-A700X. However, you can't call them overrated any more than you can call a giant plasma television or a Lamborghini "overrated". 

I don't own anything on that level, although my Pandoras are about $600 more than any of my friends would even think about spending, but I have to say that the purchasing mentality of the Pandoras was wildly different than, say, the M100. I've listened to some higher end merch (HiFiman HE6, Grado PS1000, LCD2, not in the 2k range but close), and obviously it's not "objectively" worth $1000 more than lower end stuff, but that doesn't mean those who have the money aren't justified in their desire to own them.

How rude :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #861 of 1,490

He is right though. I've heard systems that cost more than my car, and they've seriously been some of the best experiences I've ever had. You can rationalize that spending so much money on a system is crazy, but just like commtrd, music is the the most successful way to destress myself, and you can't put a price on a system that helps you briefly forget reality.

That wasn't even put rudely.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #862 of 1,490

Rude:
   adjective
      offensively impolite or ill-mannered.

TBH I think I put that as politely and well-mannered as was feasible. Don't get into the habit of calling anyone rude when they tell you something you didn't want to hear. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #866 of 1,490

I've had my account suspended already for being "rude" to people and now I'm starting to see why. 

Some people just get butthurt when confronted with different opinions.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #868 of 1,490
It is worth saying that "overrated" and "overpriced" are wildly different anyway. When you're in a position to drop $2000+ on headphones and the necessary hardware to power it, you're not exactly quibbling over whether they're "worth" 2k versus 1.5k, and a $500 swing would mean a lot more if we're talking charging $650 for a headphone you think is only "worth" $150. Someone purchasing, for example, the Abyss or SR-009 isn't losing sleep over price in the way someone who's putting cash together to save up for, say, a Fidelio X1. They're not trying to squeeze every penny out of their purchase. 

Overrated has nothing to do with cost anyway. Like I said, my vote goes for the Mikros 90 and those things are like $75. I consider them overrated because people rave about them as though they were high end merch that by some error got labeled as sub-$100, and when they go on sale people seem to stockpile the things. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #869 of 1,490
Those do seem to get a TON of enthusiastic praise in their thread. I got some on sale, and I think they sound pretty impressive for the price, although they clamp hard and I'm not a fan of on-ears, and I really don't like their "style" in general. I don't put too much emphasis on styling, but IMHO they're the ugliest headphones in my collection. I could both say I enjoy them, and find them a bit over-rated, but they're not the first things I would name in this thread. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #870 of 1,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back