Most overrated headphones?
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #811 of 1,490
I actually have it reversed. 

The CD900ST is more neutral. V6, while fairly neutral, definitely has a recessed midrange. The V6's emphasized high and low ends makes it more fun. 

Both have a tendency to show music as it is. I like that trait, but only to a certain extent, and while the V6 is pushing on my limits of acceptable, it remains within them, the CD900ST takes it a bit too far. 

*Sometimes I think that I'm so used to the V6 that I won't be satisfied with anything other than "like the V6, but better" as an upgrade as a music enjoying headphone. My only complaints really are really sound stage, and maybe a little more forgiveness for all the horrible audio quality music I listen to. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #812 of 1,490
Quote:
840 is your top pick but you're selling them
tongue.gif

I don't listen to my neutral cans much. The Denons, modded T50RP and TH900 have taken over my listening time. I'm equally cool with selling my KNS8400s, just want to get rid of one pair of neutral cans and have one remain.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #813 of 1,490
Quote:
I actually have it reversed. 

The CD900ST is more neutral. V6, while fairly neutral, definitely has a recessed midrange. The V6's emphasized high and low ends makes it more fun. 

Both have a tendency to show music as it is. I like that trait, but only to a certain extent, and while the V6 is pushing on my limits of acceptable, it remains within them, the CD900ST takes it a bit too far. 

*Sometimes I think that I'm so used to the V6 that I won't be satisfied with anything other than "like the V6, but better" as an upgrade as a music enjoying headphone. My only complaints really are really sound stage, and maybe a little more forgiveness for all the horrible audio quality music I listen to. 

Hah, I think we're hearing similar things, but with different perspectives.

I do think the V6's have slightly bumped up highs and lows. To me, however, the bumped up bass on the V6's is closer to neutral than the lowered bass on the CD900STs. I would think a brought-up bass level would be more useful in a studio environment than a recessed one would. I also think the V6s have better lower extension, which, again, I would think would be more useful.

To most people, I think the V6's would be a more musical headphone. But since I listen to 90% folk music, the front and center mids of the CD900STs make them more musical to me.

I see a lot of people say the V6's have recessed mids, but I don't really hear that. Their highs and bass are obviously brought out, but I don't think the mids are anywhere below a neutral base line. From my experience, the best way to test if a headphone has recessed mids is to use a folk song. If the voice falls well behind the acoustic guitar, it's usually a sign that the mids are recessed. (I'm looking at you, ATH-M50)

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #814 of 1,490
Beats.... I am a flight attendant and I see them everywhere.... old people, young people, men, women... what the ****?

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #815 of 1,490
Beats.... I am a flight attendant and I see them everywhere.... old people, young people, men, women... what the ****?

Well that is true, though it is not mentioned here in this thread much because it is already kind of universally understood that it is severely overrated in public eyes.

May 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #818 of 1,490
Alright, here's my list of the top 5 most overrated headphones in my opinion (not in order)....

1. Sennheiser HD 280 PRO: These phones are so hyped it's insane. I have no clue why or in what universe these should be hyped. People think these are the headphones to buy for $100, when there are so many more options which sound much much better than these. They have a very hollow sound with an ultra odd midrange, very dull highs and cloudy, foggy lows. 

2. Audio Technica ATH M50: MUCH better than the 280 PRO, but still is very overrated in the audiophile community (even the consumer community now!). They do sound pretty decent, but people keep recommending them and start blurting out that they are "the best of the best in the $200 price bracket" or "they can beat headphones at three times their price!", and even "They are basshead headphones!". First off, they are not basshead headphones. Secondly, I think that other headphones in its own price bracket can do better, and thirdly, they cannot compete with headphones even in the $200 price bracket. Overhyped headphone for sure.

3. Audio Technica ATH AD700: Why do people call these the gaming headphones?? I do not see how these are the gaming in any way possible. The soundstage and the positioning is alright, but there are headphones like the Sennheiser HD518 and the Fostex T50RP (modded) which IMO are better gaming headphones than the AD700, and are far less hyped. Again, I don't understand the hype. 

4. Koss DJ100: MANY people are going to kill me for saying this, but I do find the DJ100 to be very overrated as well. Maybe not as much as the M50, but still is very hyped. People praise this headphone so much, but I honestly did not find anything special about them. And then people start talking about how amping them makes a night and day difference... Come on guys, how can amping a Koss DJ100, which is 38 ohms and 99 db sensitivity, form any major changes soundwise. I heard it amped and unamped and there is only a slight difference. I find the sound to be sorta muddy overall with a non-engaging bass response. People say it's clear as crystal, but just don't hear that.

5. Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA003: These headphones have been getting a lot of praise in the head-fi community, as being the neutral king for $100, but honestly it's not neutral. It's not flat. It does have emphasized midbass and a huge treble rolloff, but pretty linear mids. I think the Shure SRH440 is a much more neutral headphone than the HM5. Even the HD 280 PRO, which is still extremely overrated, is more neutral. Do the HM5s sound nice? Yes, they definitely do. But when people come out of the blue saying "the HM5/FA003 are the most neutral headphones in the $100 range!" or "The HM5/FA003 are as neutral as the HD600!", this is just not right, and they are hyping this headphone without the correct facts. Look at frequency graphs and listen critically with them.

May 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #820 of 1,490
Quote:
Perhaps not "neutral", but this is what according to your description , most people are looking for: some treble rolloff, and midbass emphasis.

I still found it to be quite recessed and hollow sounding though.

May 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #821 of 1,490
You know I honestly have to say I think the grado sr60i is a bit overrated. Not that it's bad (ok grado fans put down the torches and pitchforks) I just kept getting the impression it's "omg! The god of all headphones"

I honestly think stock T50RP is quite under rated.

May 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #822 of 1,490
Shure headphones imo are kind of underrated. The srh940 sounds brilliant but is hardly recommended. (maybe cause of the headband?) The The SRH1440 and 1840 i have never seen being recommended or even mentioned here.
But to be honest the SR60i at its price point it really is an easy recommendation for a lively fun sound. The rest of the offerings either have an unrealistic timbre or a hollow sound. This one may not sound refined but it is fun and neutral enough. (with the L cush upgrade it is really quite good)

May 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #825 of 1,490
Shure headphones imo are kind of underrated. The srh940 sounds brilliant but is hardly recommended. (maybe cause of the headband?) The The SRH1440 and 1840 i have never seen being recommended or even mentioned here.

But to be honest the SR60i at its price point it really is an easy recommendation for a lively fun sound. The rest of the offerings either have an unrealistic timbre or a hollow sound. This one may not sound refined but it is fun and neutral enough. (with the L cush upgrade it is really quite good)

I wish I could afford the Shure SRH-1840 lolol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back