Most engaging headphones
Jul 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
Hey everyone, im looking for a high end headphone that is engaging with bass (unlike the Denon Ah-5000's)but the correct amount of base, clear and precise, but not overpowering. Im also needing a good vocal expressions. Budget is $700-2500. Here is a list of headphones ive been looking at:

1. Audio Technica L3000
  2. Sennheiser HD800
  3. Beyerdynamic T1
  4. Ultrasone 8/9
  5. Denon Ah-D7000 (Not sure if the high model is better)
  6. Grado Gs-1000/ Ps-1000
  7. Sony R-10

And any other headphones you can think of and recommend.

Check out the Audeze LCD-2.  Better than any on your list.  Within your budget @ $945 USD

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 24
I would also suggest looking into the LA7000.Tight bass with an pretty balanced sound signature. Good with all types of music.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Go see a live acoustic performance and try to find bass impact - it won't be there. Live, you'll get accurate, tuneful bass all the way down. The HD-800 does this and the others don't.

Acoustic being the operative word here.  If you go to electronically produced live concerts in any other genre unrelated to acoustic performances then what?  Still seems to come down to picking your sound signature w/ respect to your desired genre to me.  As opposed to one phone being 'superior' or more 'accurate' than the other.  Maybe one day a phone will be able to do both.  Perhaps a 5 cent tuning screw like on the IE8 for $1000 head phones?  
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 24
With some electronic music paired with the ESW10JPN I've had a bit too much thump, since the music was already mixed with a basis emphasis. EQ here I come.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
 Go see a live acoustic performance and try to find bass impact - it won't be there. Live, you'll get accurate, tuneful bass all the way down.

Yup. The artificial megabass of many otherwise good cans is really irritating in classical orchestral music. (It's what I didn't like about the DT990s I sold.)  A bass section playing pizzicato just isn't supposed to sound like a series of small explosions.

There are fairly inexpensive cans that do get this right- like my SR80s which make orchestral basses sound pretty much exactly like what I hear live.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Yup. The artificial megabass of many otherwise good cans is really irritating in classical orchestral music. (It's what I didn't like about the DT990s I sold.) 

Artificial mega-bass?
confused_face(1).gif
I find the bass on the 990's very swavy and natural in symphony/classical tracks. The bass has its own attack & decay style which i have never heard in any headphone.

what was your amp, and was it the 250 or 600ohm? You need a real clean signal for the 990's to perform their best. Maybe you got the inferior 250Ω  that is known for its awful mid-bass-hump errors and Nails on chalkboard treble?  I really want you to re-visit these headphone in the near future with better gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back