METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jun 14, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #107 of 943
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #108 of 943
Some impressions before the final review:
Homunculus:
Can't really say much, due to their shape I can't get a proper fit for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.

Thummim:
Probably the most insane set of IEMs I've heard, from the punchy, textured and fast bass to the incredible midrange texture and detail to the really detailed yet smooth treble with a good amount of sparkle. The staging for an IEM is absolutely insane, things just appear in volume around the head which is something that happens with very few other sets.

More to come in full review :)

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #110 of 943
Is the sound signature more addictive than Elysium and 64A18T?
You could say that - the A18t and Elysium are much flatter and more reference-y (especially the A18t), while the Thummim has a much more exciting an colored sound signature

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #111 of 943
Hey guys, following up on my first impressions post, just posted up my full review of the MMR Homunculus here.

Still enjoying the bass and treble performance on this earphone, super detailed, natural and the top-end extends very linearly into the highest octaves with just a hint of thinness that I am finding to be a trait of the Sonion estat drivers, take that with a grain of salt. However, it's actually the midrange that has grown on me most. Still a bit laid-back, especially regarding male vocals, but despite not resembling any common curve, I am finding the Homunculus to carry a very natural tonality and a great balance between clarity and coherence.

I've also added some fit pics for those curious and will be incorporating these in future reviews to give a better idea of how the earphone wear. The Homunculus, in particular, I was able to wear in two styles, shallow as above and deep, as below. I did prefer the deeper fit sonically and in terms of stability but I can definitely see many going for the shallower fit as it mitigates a lot of the comfort issues many have complained about. Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the fake ear, I find it easier to get a useful angle with the ear and it is certainly more aesthetic than on my own head lol

DSC08856.jpg

DSC08859.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #112 of 943
Hey guys, following up on my first impressions post, just posted up my full review of the MMR Homunculus here.

Still enjoying the bass and treble performance on this earphone, super detailed, natural and the top-end extends very linearly into the highest octaves with just a hint of thinness that I am finding to be a trait of the Sonion estat drivers, take that with a grain of salt. However, it's actually the midrange that has grown on me most. Still a bit laid-back, especially regarding male vocals, but despite not resembling any common curve, I am finding the Homunculus to carry a very natural tonality and a great balance between clarity and coherence.

I've also added some fit pics for those curious and will be incorporating these in future reviews to give a better idea of how the earphone wear. The Homunculus, in particular, I was able to wear in two styles, shallow as above and deep, as below. I did prefer the deeper fit sonically and in terms of stability but I can definitely see many going for the shallower fit as it mitigates a lot of the comfort issues many have complained about. Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the fake ear, I find it easier to get a useful angle with the ear and it is certainly more aesthetic than on my own head lol

DSC08856.jpg
DSC08859.jpg
The Homunculus you kinda have to be lucky enough to be able to fit as you have done in the picture below. The shallower version of the fit is really uncomfortable and the sound is completely off to my ears then. Even with the deeper fit though I found it kind of cut into my ears.

I absolutely loved the build and look of the IEM though

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #113 of 943
The Homunculus you kinda have to be lucky enough to be able to fit as you have done in the picture below. The shallower version of the fit is really uncomfortable and the sound is completely off to my ears then. Even with the deeper fit though I found it kind of cut into my ears.

I absolutely loved the build and look of the IEM though

I definitely do have lucky ears when it comes to uni IEMs, seems I can fit almost everything except my CIEMs are all just a little wonky, still no idea why. If you're ambitious, you can cut up Final Audio ear guides and put them over the edge of the shell that touches your ear. It makes them even larger but takes away the sharp edge.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #114 of 943
I definitely do have lucky ears when it comes to uni IEMs, seems I can fit almost everything except my CIEMs are all just a little wonky, still no idea why. If you're ambitious, you can cut up Final Audio ear guides and put them over the edge of the shell that touches your ear. It makes them even larger but takes away the sharp edge.
I've already sent them off for the EU tour I'm afraid, they're no longer in my possession :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #116 of 943
Just thought I'd right a few thoughts regarding these iems:

Homunculus:

Its difficult for me to say much about this iem as I do not think it’s for the type of music that I like listen to. I could get it to fit in my ear ok, but it did feel like it was cutting into them after about half an hour. They look unique and are very well built though. Strangely, they sounded great in some aspect but wrong with others. For example, I listened to a track called addis by a metal band called om. The female vocals sounded fantastic but there was a nasty echo on some chime sounds that I had not experienced before.

Thummim:

Now this is more like it. Again, they look unique and are very well built but this time they are backed by an amazing sound. They do not look like that they would be comfortable, but they are very pleasant to wear. I have worn them for a couple of hours and not suffered any soreness or discomfort.

Huge soundstage and fantastic mids are the first things that hit me. That is not to say the highs and lows are not as good. In my opinion the lows are incredibly deep and punchy while the highs have an amazing life affirming sparkle. Honestly, everything just sounds perfect with these iems. I listened to metal, jazz, rock and electronic music and nothing sounded incorrect or unsatisfactory. Everything sounds very natural and unforced and completely non fatiguing. I own sony ierz1r, campfire solaris, atlas, andromeda and obravo erib 1c but these are probably the best all round iems that I have tried. Highly recommended.

One other thing I should mention is that I own Cayin n8, Ak sp2000, Lotoo paw gold touch and Sony WM1Z. I thought they sounded amazing with the n8 and sp2k and good with the Lotoo. However, I did not think that they had a good synergy with the wm1z at all. This is unusual as I usually prefer the sony to the other daps but this time it sounded lifeless.

I need to say thank you to mvvRAZ to allowing me on the tour to try these iems. I may well try and purchase a set in the future.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #117 of 943
Just thought I'd right a few thoughts regarding these iems:

Homunculus:

Its difficult for me to say much about this iem as I do not think it’s for the type of music that I like listen to. I could get it to fit in my ear ok, but it did feel like it was cutting into them after about half an hour. They look unique and are very well built though. Strangely, they sounded great in some aspect but wrong with others. For example, I listened to a track called addis by a metal band called om. The female vocals sounded fantastic but there was a nasty echo on some chime sounds that I had not experienced before.

Thummim:

Now this is more like it. Again, they look unique and are very well built but this time they are backed by an amazing sound. They do not look like that they would be comfortable, but they are very pleasant to wear. I have worn them for a couple of hours and not suffered any soreness or discomfort.

Huge soundstage and fantastic mids are the first things that hit me. That is not to say the highs and lows are not as good. In my opinion the lows are incredibly deep and punchy while the highs have an amazing life affirming sparkle. Honestly, everything just sounds perfect with these iems. I listened to metal, jazz, rock and electronic music and nothing sounded incorrect or unsatisfactory. Everything sounds very natural and unforced and completely non fatiguing. I own sony ierz1r, campfire solaris, atlas, andromeda and obravo erib 1c but these are probably the best all round iems that I have tried. Highly recommended.

One other thing I should mention is that I own Cayin n8, Ak sp2000, Lotoo paw gold touch and Sony WM1Z. I thought they sounded amazing with the n8 and sp2k and good with the Lotoo. However, I did not think that they had a good synergy with the wm1z at all. This is unusual as I usually prefer the sony to the other daps but this time it sounded lifeless.

I need to say thank you to mvvRAZ to allowing me on the tour to try these iems. I may well try and purchase a set in the future.

Which 2 IEM's of (sony ierz1r, campfire solaris, atlas, andromeda and obravo erib 1c, Thummim) get's your most listening time?

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #118 of 943
Well the Thummim are not mine to keep. Out of my own ones probably the solaris.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #120 of 943
Some impressions from my time with the Homunculus :)
I was comparing it with the Unique Melody MEST, which seemed like the most suitable IEM for comparison.
The MEST is a pretty unique sounding IEM, with a W-shaped tuning, huge soundstage, separation and overall excellent technical performance.
Pretty much the only areas in which I feel there's room for improvement is that I'd like to see a bit more warmth and body in the lower mids.
Also, some people might find it fatiguing for extended listening sessions, simply because it's so detailed and hardcore :sweat_smile:
So, against such an impressive challenger, how did the Homunculus fare?
Read on, intrepid adventurer, to find out.. :)

The soundstage on the Homunculus seems quite wide and holographic too, but there’s something of a feeling on some songs (not all) where much of the action or the main ‘body’ of the song seem to be compressed into a central space. I think this may be coming from the tuning of the lower mids via a lift in the mid-bass.
Drums have power, presence and body, but are not as distinctly presented as they are on the MEST.

The acoustic guitar and the vocal seem to have more body and weight than the MEST.

Actually, now I stop to think, some credit for this is due to the Eletech’s Prudence cable, along with MMR’s tuning of the IEM to take advantage of it.

I reviewed the Prudence previously and found that it had the effect of noticeably increasing sub-bass slam and impact on pretty much every IEM I tried it with, along with an ability to tame excessive energy in the upper-mids and treble without compromising detail and clarity.

With the MEST, I felt that instruments seem to pop out more. Drums have more clatter and are more clearly defined, but have less body, presence and power. Vocals are clear and distinct, but I feel the timbre is a bit better with the Homunculus.

Soundstage and separation seem wider and more uniform on the MEST.

Overall, I found the Homunculus to be surprisingly engaging and emotional.
I'd heard it was specifically tuned for female vocals and acoustic concerts (or perhaps that was acoustic concerts with female singers?!).
My impression is that it's more normal for companies to stress the all-rounder credentials of their IEMs, especially at the higher price points.
I have to say, I was very impressed at Joseph Mou's courage and vision to produce a TOTL priced IEM that unapologetically puts a stake in the ground and says:
"These are the two things I'm all about. And yes, I'm still a TOTL IEM. Deal with it." :ksc75smile:

In fact, I listened to the Homunculus with a variety of genres, including rock, pop, classical, blues, acoustic, live concerts and all with both male and female vocals.
Sometimes even both at the same time :hushed:
True to its intended design, it performed extremely well with female vocals and live acoustic concerts; frankly, this was not unexpected.
What did come a surprise though was the fun I had listening to all the other genres.
I genuinely found it a hugely enjoyable blast, listening to rock and pop and hip hop on the Homunculus.
Well, that's all I've got; I had only a short time with the Homunculus and Thummim, and I probably spent the majority of that with the Homunculus, just due to.. life.. :)

A posting with a more spartan set of thoughts on the Thummim to follow!
Thanks for reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back