METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #136 of 943
@doctorjuggles

How'd the custom tips go for your Thummim? Who'd you use, did you just go with tips or someone that does encasing of the shell so it maybe feels better in the ear?

I much prefer the custom tips for it. I've tried going back to universals and it doesn't work for my ear shape, but oddly enough, every other review I've read or person I've spoken to seems to have had a better experience. Everyone looks at it and thinks "that's gonna hurt" but they've all found a good fit.
For me personally, I have a part on my concha that the shell digs into, so it hurts a little after about an hour.

The tips have completely solved the problem for me - I now listen for hours and hours at a time and I have no discomfort.
Compared to my Custom Art tips, they're very different. Custom Art are silicone, these are acrylic, so they take a little getting used to, but now I'm very used to them and they're great. No pain at all (the buds do definitely stick out a little though, but that's the reason they're comfy - too far out to be able to touch the concha).

I got them from Joseph @ MMR - sent my STL files across, two weeks later these babies arrived....

20200629_113517_(1)~2.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #137 of 943
I much prefer the custom tips for it. I've tried going back to universals and it doesn't work for my ear shape, but oddly enough, every other review I've read or person I've spoken to seems to have had a better experience. Everyone looks at it and thinks "that's gonna hurt" but they've all found a good fit.
For me personally, I have a part on my concha that the shell digs into, so it hurts a little after about an hour.

The tips have completely solved the problem for me - I now listen for hours and hours at a time and I have no discomfort.
Compared to my Custom Art tips, they're very different. Custom Art are silicone, these are acrylic, so they take a little getting used to, but now I'm very used to them and they're great. No pain at all (the buds do definitely stick out a little though, but that's the reason they're comfy - too far out to be able to touch the concha).

I got them from Joseph @ MMR - sent my STL files across, two weeks later these babies arrived....

20200629_113517_(1)~2.jpg
Thanks a bunch for the response!

Those tips look great. What do you find is the difference between them and custom art tips that made you go with them instead of custom art that you've done before It seems?

And oh they sit out of the ear? Any chance you could post a pic of how far they sit? I probably will have the same ear problems and likely need a way to fix it if I decide on the Thummim

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #138 of 943
Thanks a bunch for the response!

Those tips look great. What do you find is the difference between them and custom art tips that made you go with them instead of custom art that you've done before It seems?

And oh they sit out of the ear? Any chance you could post a pic of how far they sit? I probably will have the same ear problems and likely need a way to fix it if I decide on the Thummim

Custom Art don't have the nozzle details of the Thummim. When I was in Warsaw they could physically use my U18t to get a profile of the nozzle, whereas this way around, MMR knew their product perfect, and I had the STL file, so it seemed like a no-brainer.

As for the pic - can't get the stupid thing to focus properly but you get the idea....

20200730_165403_(1).jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #139 of 943
Custom Art don't have the nozzle details of the Thummim. When I was in Warsaw they could physically use my U18t to get a profile of the nozzle, whereas this way around, MMR knew their product perfect, and I had the STL file, so it seemed like a no-brainer.

As for the pic - can't get the stupid thing to focus properly but you get the idea....

20200730_165403_(1).jpg

Thanks again

They do sit out quite far. I wonder if silicone from custom art would sit better in the ear given the different material or if it would be about the same distance out of the ear.

Yeah I struggle here, I wish they had the titanium shell just in a different design. I am not sure what made them go with this futuristic/postmodern design that's quite apparent to cause some people ears issues. It's like they didn't regard comfort at all in their plans.

I'm going to have to check the sound for sure and see if it makes all other qualms disappear, but they've got a strong bar to have to reach sound wise given the fit/finish issues.

If could pay for a redesigned shell (super simple no crazy designs just no sharp edges) I would. And if the sound is what others here are suggesting I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #140 of 943
Thanks again

They do sit out quite far. I wonder if silicone from custom art would sit better in the ear given the different material or if it would be about the same distance out of the ear.

Yeah I struggle here, I wish they had the titanium shell just in a different design. I am not sure what made them go with this futuristic/postmodern design that's quite apparent to cause some people ears issues. It's like they didn't regard comfort at all in their plans.

I'm going to have to check the sound for sure and see if it makes all other qualms disappear, but they've got a strong bar to have to reach sound wise given the fit/finish issues.

If could pay for a redesigned shell (super simple no crazy designs just no sharp edges) I would. And if the sound is what others here are suggesting I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Honestly I think it looks much worse than it is in reality - the fit that is. The first few weeks I had some very minor discomforts but now I barely even notice them in my ears, especially due to how lightweight they are

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #141 of 943
Yeah they're much lighter than they look and, as I said, most people anticipate problems but experience none when they try them. Hopefully you'll have a chance to try them first (as everyone should when buying something this price) but you may very well be pleasantly surprised! :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #142 of 943
I had the pleasure of spending some time (albeit limited) with Thummim and Homunculus. Below are some quick impressions. Probably not much new compared to what other people have said.

Thummim - the word I would use for this iem is bold. Lots of bass (more on that below), great treble energy, big stage and overall big sound for an iem. My only issue is that the bass is a bit too strong for my taste. It tends to overpower the signature a little bit IMO. This iem still has amazing technical capabilities and resolution.

Homunculus: this is where I was surprised. At first, I found the signature to be closer to neutral and mids were a bit thin for my taste. This said, after more listening and switching to a copper cable, I found myself really enjoying the signature. It's slightly less resolving than Thummim but I find the signature to be more musical. Bass is present without being too much and the EST magic is there too.

The fit is average on both, with Homunculus fitting me much better.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #143 of 943
Well hopefully I can get my hands on a set soon and evaluate for myself. The driver config definitely seems to hit the sweet spot of what I've been searching for and the comments hear about impossibly large soundstage is also on my list so I am thuroughly intrigued even if put off by the looks

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #144 of 943
Got the Thummim recently and would like to know if it is worth upgrading the Plato cable to lliad. Any input is much appreciated.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #145 of 943
Got the Thummim recently and would like to know if it is worth upgrading the Plato cable to lliad. Any input is much appreciated.
Hey :)

I am actually running that exact config right now (thummim Iliad) - the best way I can put this, is if you love the signature of the Thummim and want to double down on it, get an Iliad.

The Plato balances the signature a bit more, providing a slightly flatter and faster sound. They’re both wonderful cables - at first I was really drawn to the Iliad but over time the Plato has become one of my absolute favourites

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #147 of 943
Plato is amazing, bringing something to the stage and image. Love that cable.
The separation on it is incredible too. I sold you mine and proceeded to get three others. Guess it wasn’t a smart sale that one :D

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #148 of 943
The separation on it is incredible too. I sold you mine and proceeded to get three others. Guess it wasn’t a smart sale that one :D

:joy:
Crazy mofo, Raz

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #149 of 943
Hey :)

I am actually running that exact config right now (thummim Iliad) - the best way I can put this, is if you love the signature of the Thummim and want to double down on it, get an Iliad.

The Plato balances the signature a bit more, providing a slightly flatter and faster sound. They’re both wonderful cables - at first I was really drawn to the Iliad but over time the Plato has become one of my absolute favourites
Thanks for the input. I guess the Plato is not burned in yet so I guess i will use it for a while. I did test the Thummim with my Horus X and felt it was more engaging and had more micro details than the Plato.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #150 of 943
After being on the UK tour recently, I couldn’t help myself but order my own Thummim.
It was sent out today and should, hopefully, be arriving on Monday. Can’t wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back