METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jul 6, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #121 of 943
I'm glad someone was able to give the Homunculus some time and attention - after struggling with fit and then being charmed by the Thummim I was disappointed not to be able to venture much info that I felt was very useful (I could only manage short stretches of listening before the concha discomfort made it a little too annoying - my particular earshape seemed to struggle).
Good to have some more insight into the Homunuculus in here :thumbsup:

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #122 of 943
My review of the Thummim is up!
_DSF4892-Edit_small.jpg

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #123 of 943
Well, what a journey this has been! I was curious to see (hear) what all of the hype around the Thummim is all about and have been testing this gem of an IEM over the past few days. My points of reference have been my own sets like the CA Solaris SE and Audeze LCD-i4. I have been using my Chord Hugo+2Go and a Cayin N6ii (E02) as sources.

I was instantly impressed by the build quality of the Thummim and how light they are. Yes, they do look like ear torture devices and stick out a bit, but I still cannot believe how good a fit they have been for my ears. The Eletech cable oozes quality and feels like a great pairing for the IEMs (I do feel it is on the short side, especially for the price);

The only other point of criticism here is the minimalistic overall packaging and presentation (yes, I am referring to their retail packaging). I cannot help but feel that something costing as much should provoke a sense of luxury and exclusivity, rather than just a nice case.

Now, onto the Sound (yes, capital S): these are good. Really good. They have been instantly catapulted into my personal top 3 due to their unique sound signature. They sound nothing like IEMs due to their big soundstage and grand sound. Somehow, music sounds amplified on all levels with what is an exaggerated but immensely fun tuning.

Which happens to be the type of sound that is right up my alley. Unlike the EE Valkyrie, the Thummim is able to impress with an amplified low end that doesn't overwhelm the rest of the frequency range.

The Thummim sounds great with most genres I tried, save for classical music, where one might prefer a more reference-y sounding IEM. All in all, I have been very impressed, thank you @mvvRAZ for giving me this opportunity.

EDIT: I liked these so much that I considered buying a pair. Getting a headphone/LCD-i4 sound with such a tuning in IEM format is quite special. If only I could justify the spend!
EDIT: A more generous warranty period would have also given me some further motivation to go ahead with such an investment.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #124 of 943
Hi all. I just posted my review of the LE ERLKONG vs the Thummim and the Dunu Luna as was requested a week or two ago on another thread. I decided to place my comparison as a review as it was a bit long. Hopefully it will not be perceived as the worst formatted review in the history of head-fi! Anyway, I hope my impressions are of some value, and I did post the same review under each of the 3 IEM.s The URL for it in the Thummim's Review Space is below:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/metal-magic-research-thummim.24369/reviews#item-review-24020

Thank you.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #125 of 943
Recently heard about this IEM. The specs seem to hit near as exactly what I'm looking for. I've been looking for an Elysium with better low end basically and this seems to get near the mark spec potential wise.

I've been following the release of the Odin in hopes of hitting the mark there with them - but reading there's a pressure release vent in the Thummim... I don't know which to go with now!

The price is in Erl territory and I turned away from the Erl because it was just heavy and uncomfortable in my ears. It doesn't look like the Thummim will be much better in that regard but I'm not sure given as I haven't had these hands on.

Hmm. This is making me wonder if I should pause my decision to blind buy Odin and see about it compared to Thummim

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #126 of 943
It’s certainly one to consider. The Thummim is definitely lighter than the Erl, I compared them directly, and @SeeSax owns both so he can probably add some more detail to that comparison for you too. I mentioned fit issues in my review, but while most others have also mentioned the unusual shape, it seems almost everyone has been able to find a good fit regardless of this.

I believe there’s a US tour happening soon, not sure of the full details but I think @mvvRAZ or @Barra can help

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #127 of 943
Recently heard about this IEM. The specs seem to hit near as exactly what I'm looking for. I've been looking for an Elysium with better low end basically and this seems to get near the mark spec potential wise.

I've been following the release of the Odin in hopes of hitting the mark there with them - but reading there's a pressure release vent in the Thummim... I don't know which to go with now!

The price is in Erl territory and I turned away from the Erl because it was just heavy and uncomfortable in my ears. It doesn't look like the Thummim will be much better in that regard but I'm not sure given as I haven't had these hands on.

Hmm. This is making me wonder if I should pause my decision to blind buy Odin and see about it compared to Thummim
I own both as well, and we're currently running an EU tour of the Thummim - everyone has been surprised by how well they fit, and I think the guy with the worst experience in that respect so far has been @doctorjuggles who still bought them haha :D

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #128 of 943

At this price point, if these two are your short list, I would advocate for listening to both. The shaft for the ear tips on the Thummim is well made and flanged. I personally did not like the included tips, but I was able to use the AzlaSedna tips (they make many different types and are available on Amazon. I usually like the lights or lightshorts) and the fit was fine. No issues with extended listening.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #129 of 943
I own both as well, and we're currently running an EU tour of the Thummim - everyone has been surprised by how well they fit, and I think the guy with the worst experience in that respect so far has been @doctorjuggles who still bought them haha :D

I've read a decent amount of your reviews of TOTL gear. including your Elysium review. I've heard quite a bit of TOTL gear myself as well while in Asia traveling. How does the Thummim stack up vs the Elysium? Elysium was at the top of my list after hearing, I just missed a little bit of soundstage and mostly low end on the Elysium other then that it was my favorite of dozens of brands and gear.

You use Thummim mostly with Plato cable or with the Iliad you had in your pictures? I wonder if I get it if I'd be wanting the upgraded cable as well. That adds pretty pennies to it.

What would you say are most distinct characteristic differences vs the Erlkonig? ERL was okay to me but didn't really wow me so much and the ear weight definitely was fatiguing as well as the easy scratchability of the Erl kept me weary of handling. Titanium definitely seems the better deal in that regard.

Do you have an eye on Odin or has Thummim put a ring on your finger?

---

Thanks also everyone for the responses. I'm also planning to try the new hiby R8 along with this probably as main DAP if it's as good as some have been saying.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #130 of 943
I've read a decent amount of your reviews of TOTL gear. including your Elysium review. I've heard quite a bit of TOTL gear myself as well while in Asia traveling. How does the Thummim stack up vs the Elysium? Elysium was at the top of my list after hearing, I just missed a little bit of soundstage and mostly low end on the Elysium other then that it was my favorite of dozens of brands and gear.

You use Thummim mostly with Plato cable or with the Iliad you had in your pictures? I wonder if I get it if I'd be wanting the upgraded cable as well. That adds pretty pennies to it.

What would you say are most distinct characteristic differences vs the Erlkonig? ERL was okay to me but didn't really wow me so much and the ear weight definitely was fatiguing as well as the easy scratchability of the Erl kept me weary of handling. Titanium definitely seems the better deal in that regard.

Do you have an eye on Odin or has Thummim put a ring on your finger?

---

Thanks also everyone for the responses. I'm also planning to try the new hiby R8 along with this probably as main DAP if it's as good as some have been saying.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...dio-discussion.826876/page-1529#post-15698443 - there you go my full comparison post between the Erl and the Thummim

The Odin... Idk yet. If it is a LX + treble that does sound pretty nice but ultimately would remain a niche pick for me. The bass quantity on the LX simply doesn't make it very viable for me as an all rounder.

The Thummim vs the Elysium... the staging is incomparable really - the Thummim is disproportionately larger, bolder and more aggressive in that respect. Bass-wise I'd say it rests somewhere between the Ely and the LX. They're both excellent IEMs, but I do find the Thummim to be a bit more impressive and exaggerated, with a bit less clarity than that of the Elysium.

Cable - honestly I never use stock cables on IEMs. The Plato that came with my Thummim is currently being used with my Erl, while the Erl's stock cable will be going up for sale as soon as I stop being lazy about it :D

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #131 of 943
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...dio-discussion.826876/page-1529#post-15698443 - there you go my full comparison post between the Erl and the Thummim

The Odin... Idk yet. If it is a LX + treble that does sound pretty nice but ultimately would remain a niche pick for me. The bass quantity on the LX simply doesn't make it very viable for me as an all rounder.

The Thummim vs the Elysium... the staging is incomparable really - the Thummim is disproportionately larger, bolder and more aggressive in that respect. Bass-wise I'd say it rests somewhere between the Ely and the LX. They're both excellent IEMs, but I do find the Thummim to be a bit more impressive and exaggerated, with a bit less clarity than that of the Elysium.

Cable - honestly I never use stock cables on IEMs. The Plato that came with my Thummim is currently being used with my Erl, while the Erl's stock cable will be going up for sale as soon as I stop being lazy about it :D

Thanks for the info!

So you would say the mids of the Thummim are similar to the Elysium?

This was something I was definitely searching for. After everything I've tried I basically wanted electrostat highs with the Elysiums mids and well done DD low end and at least among the top 10 in soundstage/details. With musicality & enjoyment as priority vs technicality. and also, with pressure release. ADEL/APEX etc are some of the greatest things put in IEMs I find. As a prior engineer my ears are incredibly sensitive and keeping them working is top priority. Durability is also a side factor but a thing for me, I don't want to be scared to use them and have to be absolutely OCD with them or I won't often use them. Had this issue with customs before because I've cracked a shell. I actually use my IEMs constantly moving around so them not being super delicate and able to take little bumps and dings is a plus.

The Thummim sounds a bit to hit that spot but given the significant jump in price over almost every other TOTL out there I would need to see if the fit damages the experience for me.

Do you have any interest at getting custom tips made for the Thummim? I don't know if you ever go that route on your IEMs but that might be a good option in my case as well to help with fit if it's an issue.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #133 of 943
Thanks for the info!

So you would say the mids of the Thummim are similar to the Elysium?

This was something I was definitely searching for. After everything I've tried I basically wanted electrostat highs with the Elysiums mids and well done DD low end and at least among the top 10 in soundstage/details. With musicality & enjoyment as priority vs technicality. and also, with pressure release. ADEL/APEX etc are some of the greatest things put in IEMs I find. As a prior engineer my ears are incredibly sensitive and keeping them working is top priority.

The Thummim sounds a bit to hit that spot but given the significant jump in price over almost every other TOTL out there I would need to see if the fit damages the experience for me.

Do you have any interest at getting custom tips made for the Thummim? I don't know if you ever go that route on your IEMs but that might be a good option in my case as well to help with fit if it's an issue.
The midrange does share some similarities with that of the Elysium, mainly in how thick and textured they both are. @doctorjuggles got custom tips for his Thummim and they’ve worked super well for him!

I tried the custom sound profile with Plunge but it was a bit of a disaster :D

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #135 of 943

Users who are viewing this thread

Back