METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
May 19, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #91 of 943
The packaging is pretty damn awesome, I like it much more than the typical Hi-Fi Luxury packaging. The case doesn't look like the most practical, but I love it anyways.
The packaging is super nerdy and I love that definitely. I would've liked to get a carrying case with that same theme implemented personally, but it's not the end of the world

May 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #92 of 943
For today’s pairing :)

E1E54A0D-6BCE-44A7-B90D-CA483ACF7627.jpeg
B0CA5194-488B-4FAF-B73C-E941F4409C9B.jpeg
98D02C9F-7D70-41A8-8596-C6A86C475022.jpeg

May 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #93 of 943
May 23, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #94 of 943
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #96 of 943
Cross posting here from another thread, but some impressions from Thummim:

Hello Friends, my turn for some Thummim action. I have had them now for a little less than two weeks and it's time to get some impressions out in the wild. First, I will say that these are easily the most unique IEMs I have ever seen and listened to. Visually, well, what the heck can you really say? They look like the Cybertruck of IEMs, built like tanks, controversial in shape, comfort that might be polarizing and they follow no prior trends. I like the design concept personally, but that may not be the case for everyone. Comfort works fine for me, getting a secure fit and no discomfort. I can feel an acute edge occasionally at the back of my ear if I put them in quickly and don't rotate or adjust them, but if I take two extra seconds to get a proper fit then it's a non-issue. I know they look like they might be torture devices, but they work fine for me. You should absolutely see if they work in your ears before making such an investment, though!

As for sound, these were tuned with pure guilty pleasure enjoyment with big, bold sound. I read something on MMR's website about an inconceivable soundscape and I have to say, that is accurate. I have never heard such a large stage in an IEM before, perhaps even some would find it TOO large where music is completely out of your head. I love it, but again it may not be for everyone. I have monitors that are more precise, easier to detect exactly where an instrument is within a more intimate stage, but these give a vast, concert hall feeling that is completely addictive to me. Imaging is still great, it's just that the instruments are in a concert hall instead of a studio.

Bass, to me, is tied as the star of the show with the treble. These have a deep, rumbly, analogue-type DD bass slam that I would put somewhere between the Tia Fourte and Legend X in quantity. It's punchy, impactful, and I think it will satisfy all but the most addicted bass heads. Mids have a lot of breathing room in the huge sound field, sound pretty natural while leaning toward warmth and texture rather than clear and airy. This is all in my opinion of course. I love the texture of vocals, the crunch of electric guitars and again it's just such a fun listen. It's not reference by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not hugely exaggerated in any one area either. It makes a lot of my other IEMs sound a little flat by comparison (Mason V3+, for example). But technical ability is still off the charts as far as detail retrieval goes, imaging & separation and stage as mentioned. It's definitely a W-shape, which works well for my musical tastes.

I saved the treble for last and I will preface this by saying I had completely given up on electrets...until now. Maybe it takes four of them in each side, maybe it takes a titanium cage for them to resonate in, I have no idea and don't really care: they sound incredible. Finally! They're crisp, clear, open, extended and have beautiful sparkle. I love the treble. Never harsh, never sharp, it would only offend the very most sensitive listeners, but it is perfect to my ears. There's a natural air to it without being splashy or cold. Well-done.

I'll provide some comparisons in the coming days, but for now I will just say that I love these. I would NEVER recommend someone go out and blind buy a pair of such expensive IEMs, especially with their shape that might not fit everyone's ears, but this has been an extremely exciting adventure that has paid off for me. Oh, and they come with the awesome Eletech Plato cable which I promptly stole and put on another IEM, replacing it with the Eletech Iliad I had for even more fun and bass debauchery.

Here are some photos, most of which I'm sure you've already seen from other posters:

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

-Collin-

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #97 of 943
@SeeSax

lovely impressions, collin!

can't wait to hear this "inconcievable" stage for myself.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #98 of 943

Hello Friends, my turn for some Thummim action. I have had them now for a little less than two weeks and it's time to get some impressions out in the wild. First, I will say that these are easily the most unique IEMs I have ever seen and listened to. Visually, well, what the heck can you really say? They look like the Cybertruck of IEMs, built like tanks, controversial in shape, comfort that might be polarizing and they follow no prior trends. I like the design concept personally, but that may not be the case for everyone. Comfort works fine for me, getting a secure fit and no discomfort. I can feel an acute edge occasionally at the back of my ear if I put them in quickly and don't rotate or adjust them, but if I take two extra seconds to get a proper fit then it's a non-issue. I know they look like they might be torture devices, but they work fine for me. You should absolutely see if they work in your ears before making such an investment, though!

As for sound, these were tuned with pure guilty pleasure enjoyment with big, bold sound. I read something on MMR's website about an inconceivable soundscape and I have to say, that is accurate. I have never heard such a large stage in an IEM before, perhaps even some would find it TOO large where music is completely out of your head. I love it, but again it may not be for everyone. I have monitors that are more precise, easier to detect exactly where an instrument is within a more intimate stage, but these give a vast, concert hall feeling that is completely addictive to me. Imaging is still great, it's just that the instruments are in a concert hall instead of a studio.

Bass, to me, is tied as the star of the show with the treble. These have a deep, rumbly, analogue-type DD bass slam that I would put somewhere between the Tia Fourte and Legend X in quantity. It's punchy, impactful, and I think it will satisfy all but the most addicted bass heads. Mids have a lot of breathing room in the huge sound field, sound pretty natural while leaning toward warmth and texture rather than clear and airy. This is all in my opinion of course. I love the texture of vocals, the crunch of electric guitars and again it's just such a fun listen. It's not reference by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not hugely exaggerated in any one area either. It makes a lot of my other IEMs sound a little flat by comparison (Mason V3+, for example). But technical ability is still off the charts as far as detail retrieval goes, imaging & separation and stage as mentioned. It's definitely a W-shape, which works well for my musical tastes.

I saved the treble for last and I will preface this by saying I had completely given up on electrets...until now. Maybe it takes four of them in each side, maybe it takes a titanium cage for them to resonate in, I have no idea and don't really care: they sound incredible. Finally! They're crisp, clear, open, extended and have beautiful sparkle. I love the treble. Never harsh, never sharp, it would only offend the very most sensitive listeners, but it is perfect to my ears. There's a natural air to it without being splashy or cold. Well-done.

I'll provide some comparisons in the coming days, but for now I will just say that I love these. I would NEVER recommend someone go out and blind buy a pair of such expensive IEMs, especially with their shape that might not fit everyone's ears, but this has been an extremely exciting adventure that has paid off for me. Oh, and they come with the awesome Eletech Plato cable which I promptly stole and put on another IEM, replacing it with the Eletech Iliad I had for even more fun and bass debauchery.

Here are some photos, most of which I'm sure you've already seen from other posters:

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

-Collin-

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

-Collin-

Thank you Collin for the impression!

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #99 of 943

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

-Collin-

thnx so much for ur impressions, such fascinating looking IEMS...

"I saved the treble for last and I will preface this by saying I had completely given up on electrets...until now. Maybe it takes four of them in each side, maybe it takes a titanium cage for them to resonate in, I have no idea and don't really care: they sound incredible. Finally! They're crisp, clear, open, extended and have beautiful sparkle. I love the treble. Never harsh, never sharp, it would only offend the very most sensitive listeners, but it is perfect to my ears. There's a natural air to it without being splashy or cold. Well-done."

i find this point incredibly interesting, since seems like lot of IEMS struggle severely with treble extension and brightness with electrets, even seasoned brands (based on numerous reviews)

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #100 of 943
thnx so much for ur impressions, such fascinating looking IEMS...

"I saved the treble for last and I will preface this by saying I had completely given up on electrets...until now. Maybe it takes four of them in each side, maybe it takes a titanium cage for them to resonate in, I have no idea and don't really care: they sound incredible. Finally! They're crisp, clear, open, extended and have beautiful sparkle. I love the treble. Never harsh, never sharp, it would only offend the very most sensitive listeners, but it is perfect to my ears. There's a natural air to it without being splashy or cold. Well-done."

i find this point incredibly interesting, since seems like lot of IEMS struggle severely with treble extension and brightness with electrets, even seasoned brands (based on numerous reviews)

Off the top of my head, I owned the AAW Canary, Oriolus Percivali, Rhapsodio Zombie mk2, Empire Ears Wraith and I think one more I cannot remember all with electrets...I found them all not to have the sparkle I crave. I'm glad these seem to have solved that issue. I hear the VE Elysium has incredible treble extension too, but I have not heard those. For me, these nail what estat set out to achieve and that's detail, resolution, sparkle, extension and zero sibilance.

-Collin-

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #101 of 943
Off the top of my head, I owned the AAW Canary, Oriolus Percivali, Rhapsodio Zombie mk2, Empire Ears Wraith and I think one more I cannot remember all with electrets...I found them all not to have the sparkle I crave. I'm glad these seem to have solved that issue. I hear the VE Elysium has incredible treble extension too, but I have not heard those. For me, these nail what estat set out to achieve and that's detail, resolution, sparkle, extension and zero sibilance.

-Collin-
very intresting! i owned mofasest trio, and read reviews of Fearless Roland, and Shuoer EJ07, and all 3 of these too seem to be reviewed hving dull/dark/lifeless treble....and all have electrets too

thnx again for impressions, fascinating to see how new tech performs

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #102 of 943

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

-Collin-
Nice feedback bro.
Thummim are great for sure.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #103 of 943
Hey folks, firstly, hope friends in the US are doing well. These are crazy times, my best wishes extend.

I will also say that I was intending to write a dedicated first impressions article on the Homunculus, but there've been a few full reviews published since. I think they do a very fine job of describing what I hear so I'll just be adding to the potluck here before working on a more extensive full review myself.

I was a bit tentative about this IEM, with initial impressions stating that it was a leaner sound, light in the bass, even bright - not exactly my kind of sound. Of course, these would have been at shows where it's harder to get a taste of what the signature is truly about due to ambient noise. So when Joseph reached out for a review, I was enthusiastic to try them with my own ears.

DSC08433.jpg

Suffice to say, I find the Homunculus to be pleasantly well-balanced overall, slightly mid-biased but not never forward or shouty. Similarly, they never came across to me as lean or bright. The bass quality is excellent as Foster's reputation would lead you to believe. It's linear with a natural tonality, great control and slightly slower decay retaining a nice sense of body and dynamics. It also has great extension, but without the skull pounding sub-bass pressure that some hybrids are prone to. The midrange is quite natural to my ears as well but with an unconventional presentation. While there's a light, euphonic warmth permeating throughout and enlarged vocals, the midrange also is actually a touch thinner at times perhaps due to their sharp rise through the centre midrange leaving the lower-midrange recessed by comparison. Mids are also more laid-back in terms of positioning. Instead of redeeming body by bolstering bass and lower-midrange, the voicing is instead dense and smooth with a focus on accurate articulation which works to similar net effect. This also provides a bit more space for each element to breathe in the stage as there isn't a large amount of bass competing with the rest of the sound.

DSC08440.jpg

However, such a sound does have a bias in terms of voicing towards female vocals that are indeed quite satisfying; velvet smooth, well-bodied and delicate. Meanwhile, male vocals can come across as a bit thin, dry and even strained at times, though this is not apparent on all tracks. The top-end is well-metered, especially through the lower-treble with no peaks or troughs. Instruments are well-bodied with an accurate timbre besides being just a touch thin in body. There's great fine detail retrieval and excellent extension with a pleasant if not overt sparkle at the very top. The stage is wide with good depth too due to its laid-back vocals. Imaging is also very sharp when going through my usual test tracks I was able to pinpoint directional cues and there's a very pleasant separation that makes it easier to isolate small details, granting them a more effortless presentation. I'm enjoying my time with the Homunculus, just a bit unconventional but wholly enjoyable

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #104 of 943
Would like to know who is its international authorized dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back