Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,051 of 3,070
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,052 of 3,070

Quote:
To XP8000 owners (or would-be owners): 

I have ordered the XPAL Willy Cable WI15 (made to connect an XP8000 to a Toshiba Satellite M55-S1352), as described in my quote, below. 

I've also ordered an Energizer XP8000.  Doh!  

I had previously avoided ordering an XP8000 for use with the Stepdance on the belief that, at best, it could only supply the Stepdance with 12-Volts - a big improvement over an 8.4-Volt battery, but not as good as the 15-Volt LiPo RC battery packs I'm now using portably.

With ianmedium having resonably decided to forgo my suggestion to experiment with the XPAL Willy Cable WI15, I decided to take the plunge.

I hope to use this setup as my desktop power supply for the Stepdance, as it offers the clean power source advantages of a 15-VDC battery pack without the usual decay in voltage output one would normally experience as a battery pack discharges!

How is that possible? 

As described below, the Willy Cable WI15 is just an inline voltage regulator that limits higher input voltages to exactly 15-Volts (I hope).  It's meant to be plugged into the 16- to 19-Volt power jack on the Energizer XP8000 (not the 9- to 12-Volt jack).  

As the XP8000's batteries decay with use, the Stepdance will see a continuous 15-Volts (until the 19-Volt jack on the XP8000 can no longer deliver at least 15-Volts to the inline regulator).  

I'm concerned about how well regulated the 15-Volt output is -and- how much power is lost to the regulator, which would affect play time.

Stay tuned for my test results... 

Mike

Well done MIke! Oh yes, not forgoing the cable mod, just a complete coward afraid to fry his beloved amp! Luckily for me You are the Livingstone of battery exploration here so I can live vicariously through your adventures and reap the rewards.. Spineless, yes!
blink.gif

But if you saw me handling a solder iron or trying to figure out electrical stuff you would, I assure, applaud my restraint! I am Tim "the tool man" Taylor to all things electrical!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,054 of 3,070
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,055 of 3,070
You know, I found something years ago, a golden rule if you will, that has served me well over the years.

"Know what you are good at and go at it with all effort possible, know what you are not good at and let others lead the way, then you learn!"

All joking aside, I really appreciate you taking the risks and putting your money and words where your mouth is and doing all of this, it has enabled me to have great fun and I just know once my XP arrives I will be enjoying the sound even more!

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,057 of 3,070

Here's a picture I found of the XPAL Willy Cable WI15.

This can regulate the output of an Energizer XP8000's 16- to 19-Volt jack to exactly (?) 15-Volts - the maximum allowed by the Stepdance - such that the Stepdance will see only 15-Volts, continuously, as the XP8000 batteries discharge).  

If you plug the Stepdance into the XP8000's 9- to 12-Volt jack (without using the XPAL Willy Cable WI15), the voltage seen by the Stepdance will start out at 12-Volts, then will begin dropping immediately, as the battery pack discharges.

Again:  I haven't tested this yet - please wait for my findings and/or proceed at your own risk. 
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,058 of 3,070

Quote:

Good question!  The XP8000 manual doesn't say and the pictures don't help much. 

To my knowledge, at this time, Racio is the only member who actually owns an XP8000 and is using it with the Stepdance.

Mike

Quote:
A question for those who have XP8000/ XP18000 - what length are the cables for12v and 19v power?

Sorry for the late reply again, the stock 12v and 19v cables are 2 ft 2 inches in length or around 67cm from tip to tip each. I've already ordered the XPAL WI15 by the way, however, I think it'll take around a month for the cables to reach my doors (they were no other options apart from regular post). Although they're not part of the free tips program, you still get a 50% discount from the MSRP, hence, I paid US$12.85 including postage and handling.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,059 of 3,070

Thanks for the info, Racio!

I'm telling you this needlessly, perhaps, but for other's sake, as well, please measure the voltage coming from the Willy Cable WI15 when you've got a full charge on the XP8000 - to make sure that it doesn't allow more than 15-Volts to go to the Stepdance. 

There's some concern that under load it might deliver more than 15-Volts, even still, so proceed at your own risk.

I was planning on guinea-pigging my Stepdance first, but it sounds as if you're going to beat me to it. 

For the record, I've supplied as much as 15.08-Volts to the Stepdance with no ill effects - only wonderfully improved dynamics that come with the increased headroom. 

(I was measuring 15.08-Volts with no load, from one of my RC LiPo battery packs, getting the same measurement from two different multimeters.)

Mike

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,060 of 3,070
Essentially, if I don't mind the largeness and weight of the XP8000, I should just use it over the 8.4v iPower batteries, correct? Costs less than 2 of them + charger, don't need to swap batteries out etc. and gives 12v :D and potentially 15v.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,061 of 3,070

Girls Generation,

I'd say "yes," get the XP8000 if weight and size don't matter.  

It seems that Racio is perfectly content with his XP8000 - he hasn't posted any contraindications - so you would probably be OK ordering it without waiting for additional XP8000 + Stepdance impressions (from ianmedium or me - we're both awaiting delivery).

Here's Racio's initial review.

Mike

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,062 of 3,070
Now what I'm wondering is, what's going on with the tips and etc.? I'm reading that I need to make my own cable and etc. to connect to stepdance? o.O or order one from energizer???

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,063 of 3,070
I dont know how are the tips in the US or in Canada but I use the tips with a dark blue ring at the end because these fit perfectly. You only have to take care about the positive and the negative pole when you are solder it to the cable..

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,064 of 3,070
I just paid Jan about an hour ago.  What's the usual shipping time to the states you folks have experienced?  Thanks.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,065 of 3,070
I can't find specs for the tips included with the XP8000 - not in the PDF manual, not at their web page, nowhere... And the pictures of tips, as seen in the package contents PDF are't much help either.

Energizer expects their customers to just order the XP8000 on their pledge to provide two free tips per year for life (we pay for shipping).

Their Tip Finder web page lists hundreds of devices, but the Stepdance isn't in their database, of course.

They also have a Tip Finder Service that allows you to describe your device, the voltage requirement, and specs of the power connector. This HTML form also requires that you upload photos of a tip that terminates the device's original power cord.

Friday evening I sent them enough information to manufacture a tip from scratch if they had to - pictures, specs, and catalog number of a Radio Shack Type H coaxial power connector that works, links to the Meier Corda Stepdance and Radio Shack pages, the exact dimensions of the tip, etc.

When (if?) they reply, I will post precise instructions for obtaining the correct tip. It's not all that uncommon, so we just need their part number.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back