Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,036 of 3,070

Thanks for the expedient schematic monoethylene!

I understand how to build it now, even though I don't understand how it works. 
smile.gif

Mike

Quote:
The background was that I found a standard PSU at my work and fortunately with a plug which fits in the Stepdance. After measuring the output voltage I saw that it was higher as the printed 15V (without any load).

To get sure not to destroy sth. I ve just added a normal voltage divider and I ve chosen the resistors to 100 Ohm and 1000 Ohm. The input impedance, IMO the load of the Stepdance is 55/16 kOhm. Finally I ve cutted the cable and with some heatshrink and soldering I putted the resistors inside.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,037 of 3,070

monoethylene,

Quote:
After reading a little bit more in this thread I ask myself why it is such a subject to find a right power supply? Is it just to have more time when powered external or are there any other reasons except the factor of DIY? As far as I know has the Stepdance a very good power regulation inside as well as a good filter. So, is it worth to spend more money in external accupacs and so on to really improve the sound?

I think we could find one or more people with a "Yes" answer for each of your questions - we have different goals. 

And my personal goals vary depending on the circumstance. 

If I really want to keep the weight down, I still use the internal batteries, on occaision. 

But if weight isn't as big an issue and I still want to be portable, I switch to using a small, external 15V 1000mAh LiPo pack. (This battery, plus the weight of the Stepdance and my source is about as much weight as I care to have hanging from a strap on my neck.)  

If I'm just going to be outside in the hammock or at a picnic table or whatever, when I still need to be portable, but I know I won't be on the move, I go for a much heavier 15V 2200mAh LiPo, that barely fits inside the case with my Stepdance and my source. 

When I'm running the Stepdance on a desktop, indoors, I break out a recently acquired 5000mAh 15V LiPo pack, that's way too heavy to consider as portable, althought some people might think it would be OK in a day pack or shoulder bag. 

With all of these 15-Volt solutions, I'm shooting for the highest permissible supply voltage in the interest of increased headroom and better dynamics, all the while avoiding the risk of noise that might come from a linear regulated power supply that plugs into an AC outlet (never mind switching power supplies).

From your ealier post, I can tell you have a much better handle on electronics than I do, so I sincerely welcome any corrective instruction you might have to set me straight where needed.

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,038 of 3,070
Here is the explanation:

Assumed that R(L) is relatively high towards R2 you can say the the total resistance equals nearly R2. When doing so, you have only the voltage of, lets say 16 Volt as V(0) and you want a lower voltage for the Stepdance U(R2).

Now you have three equations:

1) U(total)=U(0)=U(1)+U(R2)
2) R(total)=R(1)+R(2)
3) I(total)=I(1)=I(2)

and with some replacements you will get:

U(R2)/(U(0)=R(2)/R(total)--> U(R2)=U(Stepdance)=U(0)*R(2)/R(total)

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,039 of 3,070
Shoot! My XP package was not at my friends po box so I have to wait until this time next week.. I was really looking forward to getting it today as well!

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,041 of 3,070

Quote:
wouldn't it be monday? o.o

No unfortunately, I took advantage of a friends kindness in using his us postbox and he won't be going down till the end of next week now, ha well, only another week.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,046 of 3,070

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a portable AMP which can unleash the full power of AKG K702; will stepdance be a good choice for my situation?
Or I should get a 3Move instead?

I used to own the 701 and it sounded wonderful with the stepdance,plenty of power and it allowed the 701's to get more range and fullness to their sound.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,048 of 3,070

To XP8000 owners (or would-be owners): 

I have ordered the XPAL Willy Cable WI15 (made to connect an XP8000 to a Toshiba Satellite M55-S1352), as described in my quote, below. 

I've also ordered an Energizer XP8000.  Doh!  

I had previously avoided ordering an XP8000 for use with the Stepdance on the belief that, at best, it could only supply the Stepdance with 12-Volts - a big improvement over an 8.4-Volt battery, but not as good as the 15-Volt LiPo RC battery packs I'm now using portably.

With ianmedium having resonably decided to forgo my suggestion to experiment with the XPAL Willy Cable WI15, I decided to take the plunge.

I hope to use this setup as my desktop power supply for the Stepdance, as it offers the clean power source advantages of a 15-VDC battery pack without the usual decay in voltage output one would normally experience as a battery pack discharges!

How is that possible? 

As described below, the Willy Cable WI15 is just an inline voltage regulator that limits higher input voltages to exactly 15-Volts (I hope).  It's meant to be plugged into the 16- to 19-Volt power jack on the Energizer XP8000 (not the 9- to 12-Volt jack).  

As the XP8000's batteries decay with use, the Stepdance will see a continuous 15-Volts (until the 19-Volt jack on the XP8000 can no longer deliver at least 15-Volts to the inline regulator).  

I'm concerned about how well regulated the 15-Volt output is -and- how much power is lost to the regulator, which would affect play time.

Stay tuned for my test results... 

Mike

Quote:

Hey ianmedium!

The quest for 15-Volt battery packs continues!

I don't know what you've got up your sleeve, but I've got a challenging proposal for you:   I was just now checking out the XPAL Tip Finder web page to see if I could confirm the availability of a 3.5mm O.D. / 1.3mm I.D. tip for the XP8000, as required by the Stepdance.  I then stumbled onto their FAQ and found myself reading about the XPAL Willy Cables - special, extra-cost cables that have inline votage regulators built into them so that the XP8000 can be used with devices that require voltages higher than 12-Volts but lower than 19-Volts.

Guess what!  They offer an XPAL Willy Cable (model # WI15) that's made to deliver exactly 15-Volts when plugged into the XP8000's 16- to 19-Volt jack!   Saaweeeeeet! 
smile.gif

This means that you could use the XP8000 as a 15-Volt supply for the Stepdance instead of as a 12-Volt supply!

And better still, you will enjoy a CONSTANT 15-Volts when using the Willy Cable WI15 - even as the XP8000 battery's output at the 19-Volt jack fades down to 16-Volts with use!

Compare that to using the XP8000's 12-Volt jack, where the voltage will drop with use from 12-Volts down to 9-Volts.

You have to be a registered XP8000 user to buy it, but it only costs $7.95 + shipping (here in the States, anyway.)

Here's a link to the XPAL Willy Cable WI15.

When ordering online, just input that you're tyring to power a Toshiba Satellite M55-S1352 laptop.

That's one of several devices that requires exactly 15-Volts - like the Stepdance (which isn't in their Tip Finder database, of course.)

You will still need to get the correct sized tip (3.5mm O.D./1.3mm I.D.) that can be attached to the Willy Cable to plug into the Stepdance.

Are you feeling adventurous?  
biggrin.gif

If you order the Willy Cable WI15, please measure the output voltage with a voltmeter BEFORE you plug it into the Stepdance.  I wouldn't use it if it was anything higher than 15-Volts, and even then I have to say proceed at your own risk. 

Go for it! 
evil_smiley.gif

Mike

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,049 of 3,070

Hey monoethylene,

As Girls Generation would say, "My head is about to explode."

Thanks!

Mike

Quote:
Here is the explanation:

Assumed that R(L) is relatively high towards R2 you can say the the total resistance equals nearly R2. When doing so, you have only the voltage of, lets say 16 Volt as V(0) and you want a lower voltage for the Stepdance U(R2).

Now you have three equations:

1) U(total)=U(0)=U(1)+U(R2)
2) R(total)=R(1)+R(2)
3) I(total)=I(1)=I(2)

and with some replacements you will get:

U(R2)/(U(0)=R(2)/R(total)--> U(R2)=U(Stepdance)=U(0)*R(2)/R(total)

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,050 of 3,070
why :) :) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back