Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #961 of 3,070

Thanks guys!  I guess I am a mad scientist when it comes to pushing the Stepdance. 
redface.gif

I, too, would like to know how much play time I can get out of each of those LiPo batteries, but to come up with accurate numbers I will have to keep a log of my play time.  That's no big deal, but I just haven't done that yet. 

Stay tuned...

Mike

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #962 of 3,070

Quote:

Hi ianmedium!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I now have a 15.0-Volt portable solution for the Stepdance!  

The SQ is every bit as improved as the blue LED is brighter at 15.0-Volts!

I had trouble uploading the individual pics to this thread, so I just created a PDF file, with lots of pictures!

Mike

Incredible work Mike! You're really pushing the limits on this amp, my hats off to you!
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #963 of 3,070

Quote:
Has anyone using Energizer XP18000 with their stepdance? i know it's an overkill but in today's mobile tech-age, I dont think there's no such thing as overkill.  My only question is will it damage the Stepdance?  I know that the Stepdance only draws the amount of the currents the load is requiring, but still it does not hurt to ask if someone already experience of using one.

thanks,

Cuki

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507835/meier-audio-stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/930#post_7283508

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #964 of 3,070
Mike, you really are the nutty professor of the stepdance owners club! I think we are going to have to bestowe a suitable title such as:
"Resident experimenter stepdancious batterious extrodinaire!"

Great work, seeing though as I am as technically minded as a dyslexic chimp I am glad I took the easy route and got the XP!

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #965 of 3,070
Quote:

Well, I've reminded myself why I listen to rock and not classical music in the office; I get too involved in classical music. I made the "mistake" of trying to compare low & high primarily using my absolute favorite piece of music (which is, of course hackneyed, etc.) The Choral movement of Beethoven's 9th. I used the HDTracks 24/96 version on my iMod, just in case there was a scintilla of extra clarity that even these lead-encased lobes on my head could pick up. I spent nearly a half hour with my eyes closed and a stupid grin on my face only stopping to flip the two switches and hit "back" on the iMod. Ahh, what beauty, what majesty, the drama, the pathos!

OK, back to the matter at hand. For that piece of music, the only difference I could tell was that on low (adjusting for volume) the soundstage seemed larger, if that makes sense. Switching to high brings the instruments "closer" to my head. I don't know what "harsh" means audiophilliclly, but perhaps the high tones were ever so slightly more shrill on high?

I next compared it using "Shake your Rump" (Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique ripped 24/96 from someone's original vinyl) and I cannot hear much of a difference (correcting for volume). I get the same punch in the bass, the same resolution. If I HAD to say there was a difference, and this may be SOLELY a factor of my imagination, it would be again, that perhaps on high, the soundstage is smaller. If on high, the stage is a circle 10 ft from my head, on low its 15 or 20. I don't even know if that makes sense, and I tried to isolate and hear if I could perceive any more separation of voices on low vs high, but I'm not sure I do, and I'm positive I'd fail an A/B/X test on that.

So, at least, there is no harm to the music, IMO, going to low, and it allows the use of IEMs without opening up the amp
beyersmile.png

Hope that helps.

Avi, thanks for the feedback. I think that it may depend on the headphones too. The DT880/600s are pushing the Stepdance to the max so the difference may be most pronounced. They really sound better in low gain mode - they sound fantastic.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #966 of 3,070

Quote:
Mike, you really are the nutty professor of the stepdance owners club! I think we are going to have to bestowe a suitable title such as:

Great work, seeing though as I am as technically minded as a dyslexic chimp I am glad I took the easy route and got the XP!

Thanks!  I LIKE it! 

See my new avatar!

biggrin.gif

Mike

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #967 of 3,070
 Excellent! So you are.

Meanwhile I am pushing the envelope in a small way on optimising the Stepdance gain. I already had the low gain reduced by 6 db which has produced superb results for sensitive IEMs like the ES5. I now want the original low gain setting back because it has better SQ than the high gain setting with the DT880/600s, and I can also use that extra original 6 db with the iMod, DT880/600s and some of my quieter music. The solution is to set my high gain to the original low gain setting. Jan has given me the instructions to do this and I hope to execute it on my pending trip to Toronto. If it all works as planned, the result will be the Stepdance Low Gain Mod:

Maximal amplification: 5 / 16 dB (low/high gain)
will become
Maximal amplification: -1 / 5 dB (low/high gain)

This should provide optimal SQ and volume control for eveything from IEMs to 600 ohm full size headphones.

We will see. I will certainly report back.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #970 of 3,070
I've had the Stepdance for a while now, and have been listening using the SM3, Denon D2000, and Beyer DT800/600.

While they all benefit from the Stepdance over older amps like the Predator or D10, the Denons really shine.  Their bass is more liquid, and I think the Stepdance overcomes the recessed mids problem the Denons have with many amps.  That said, for acoustic or classical music I still prefer the DT880/600.

I'm on the LCD-2 waitlist, so that'll be a good addition to the mix.

So far I have been using it only with the iMod, although I have the μDAC-2 and HDP and will try them as sources.

zilch0md,

That is really fantastic what you've done with portable batteries.  I like the idea of a huge mAh battery for home use too.  Actually, a diy voltage regulated circuit with additional buffer capacitance might go with a large battery like that quite well, although that's a bit more involved, especially if you want it to look polished and professional with a metal housing.  I'll have to keep RC batteries in mind in the future . . .

What kind of bag is that in your pictures?  I've seen a bunch of camera bags that would fit for transporting it, but few will accommodate the iMod and ALO cable.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #972 of 3,070
Quote:
What 1/4 to 1/8 adapter do you use? I was looking into silver dragon but I just went for the grado since stock w1000x cable is copper anyway.

I also have the Grado adaptor. They guarantee no sound deterioration (with Grados) so I don't see how you can go wrong. I used to use it with Darth Beyers. It works well when I need it. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #973 of 3,070
Feb 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #974 of 3,070

Hi!

Quote:
How long does it last?

and congrats!

The Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh battery, when charged to 16.8-Volts, then discharged to 15.0-Volts prior to use with the Stepdance, lasts 3.5 hours powering the Stepdance before the voltage drops to 12.0-Volts (3.0-Volts per cell - at which point, the battery absolutely must be recharged).  

Remember that at 1000 mAh, this is the smallest and lightest 4-Cell LiPo battery I could find = it's not much larger than a 9-Volt battery and it's a whole lot easier to swap with a fresh battery than swapping the internal 9-Volt batteries.

And you can't forget that it does offer the SQ of a full 15.0-Volts.

I literally wear the case while listening - so keeping the weight down is important to me, but the same solution for 15.0-Volts can be had with 4-Cell batteries as large as 5000 mAh - which would last about 35 hours.  And there are many available sizes in between.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back