Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #991 of 3,070

Thanks ianmedium!

Your encouragement is truly inspiring.  It's nice to have such positive feedback. 

I think you made a great choice in going with the XP8000.  It's going to be a LOT more convenient to use than the LiPo batteries I'm using - especially when it comes to charging it - just plug it in and walk away.

I really like the promise of vesatility offered by the XP8000, too - 5V, 12V, 19V - that's cool!  I have three or four devices that recharge on USB ports, so how cool is it to have a portable charger for those gizmos?  (In addition to running your Stepdance.)

I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Enjoy!

Mike

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #992 of 3,070
No worries Mike, Your information like Paul's has been so helpful to me.
Bad news was that the XP was not in my friends mailbox in the States today so I have to wait until Friday next week to get it!

On a side note I whiled away an hour or so today at my local hifi store listening to other headphones with my set up.
They stock Denons, Ultrasone, Grado, Sennheiser and Beyer.

Firstly I tried once again the D7000's, magnificent headphones but it was good to hear them again and compare them with my Jmoney 5000's. Here in Canada the 5000's run to $899, 7000's $1200 (not including 12% tax!) It really confirmed what I experienced before, the 5000's with Jmoney pads come so close to the 7000 sound that unless you can get the 7000's at discount go for the 5000's!

Next up were the senn HD800's, to be fair they only had about 20 hours on them so I make these comments with that proviso and will adjust them next week if necessary once I try them again with burn in. I must admit I am not keen on the sound. I found it a little flat and not that musical, very analytical I thought but for me lacking emotion. I also got to try the Grado PS1000. I liked these more, they seemed more musical to me but I still did not like them as much as my 5000's

I did not get to try the Ultrasone's but did try the Beyer T50p which I thought a lovely little headphone.

It really does pay to listen to all these I find and in no way am I saying the ones I did not like were bad, just not the sound I like very much, if those sound traits are ones you like then great!

Now, the point. The Stepdance had no problem powering any of these phones, it did it with great ease. Also the guy in the store stocks the Graham Slee portable headphone amp and really wanted me to try it. It does not come anywhere near the sound quality of the stepdance, everything seemed lifeless and flat with the Graham. I let the assistant do an A/B with the stepdance as he really thought highly of the graham Slee amp.. Not anymore!

He could not believe the sound coming from the Stepdance and tried it with a number of his favorite headphones, I left giving him the details of both Jeremy's pads for the Denon's and Jan's website!

All in all a good day except no XP!

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #993 of 3,070
What is this XP8000 you guys speak of :) Whee, stepdance, w1000x, AND the solos are arriving next week ^.^

Where in canada do you live in? 

And, if you have ever ordered something expensive, did you use usps, fedex, or ups? How much fee did you pay, and taxes?

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #994 of 3,070
I am in the very same town as you, I split my time between Vancouver and Europe. The XP8000 is an external battery pack that gives not only longer battery life but more power (12v). The stepdance loves power!

You have quite the collection arriving next week, your going to have a lot of fun!
I won't use UPS or FEDEX as they charge huge amounts for brokerage USPS from the States is the way to go, reliable too!

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #995 of 3,070
If you don't mind a bit of legwork, you can brokerage packages from ups/fedex yourself. Either that or pay the extra bit for expedited shipping (which basically just adds the brokerage to the shipping cost).

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #996 of 3,070

Quote:
If you don't mind a bit of legwork, you can brokerage packages from ups/fedex yourself. Either that or pay the extra bit for expedited shipping (which basically just adds the brokerage to the shipping cost).

I did not know that! They never gave me the option before,just presented me with the bill!

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #997 of 3,070
How much was the package worth, and how much was the bill? T_T

& do you mind telling me where you go to try those headphones? :)

Is there a noticeable difference when using 12v as opposed to 9v?

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #998 of 3,070

Quote:

I'm using an inexpensive Radio Shack wall-wart unit that has adjustable voltages,up to 12v.  I notice a huge volume difference at 12v.  With the Denon 5000 and UM3X IEM, Idon't need to turn the volume up at all; it's already loud enough at the minimum setting.  Under 9v power, the volume needs tobe adjusted.  Don't know about sonic differences as i'm stll in the break-in period and sound is still "maturing"  But the volume differences between 9v and 12v are amazing

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #999 of 3,070

Quote:

Yes, no problem, Commercial Electronics on Burrard, they are opposite the Toyota Dealership.Great bunch of folks there. Though wait a week as they are burning in the HD800's and the assistant reckoned on a week before they are ready

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,000 of 3,070

Quote:
I did not know that! They never gave me the option before,just presented me with the bill!

It's not something they usually tell people about. There are a few examples online on how to do it. Check out p.4 on this thread for what I did... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507194/listing-canadian-companies

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,002 of 3,070
It's not something they usually tell people about. There are a few examples online on how to do it. Check out p.4 on this thread for what I did... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507194/listing-canadian-companies

That is a great resource, thank you for putting it together, I have bookmarked the page.
OT, I love "Winterpeg"! Talk about having a rich musical history there!

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,003 of 3,070
I once tried to order a $100 headphone from the US and my only shipping option was FedEx which would have come out to over $120 (on top of the $100) after fees and taxes
mad.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,005 of 3,070
Not sure how long they will last but I have shorter life rechargeables and always keep a spare with me and have never run out. I would imagine with what you have you would have well over 16 hours in total so you should have no problems, just remember to carry a fully charged spare with you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back